HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Edmonton re-signs Ben Scrivens [2 Years/$2.3 million AAV]

Old
03-03-2014, 12:10 PM
MCDAVIDISH

vCash: 50
Love the signing. I really am happy to see MacT actually doing something about our goaltending unlike friggen Tambo. Now get some defence Mac! yikes

MCDAVIDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Paralyzer
The Oilers Awaken

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
Fair value and good term for both sides. Nobody will be stuck in a bad situation for too long (either if Scrivens shows he really can perform as a starter, or his play falls off and the Oilers want to cut ties). It also doesn't lock up a spot in case they have a young starter they want to push for a spot in the next few years.

I assume the Oilers will sign someone else and let the two of them fight it out for starts. Maybe someone like Halak?

With all the players left to re-sign for next year, are the Oilers even poised to have a ton of cap space? There's a few overpaid UFAs that will walk, but their spots will have to get replaced, and some key RFAs will be getting paid (RNH boosts to 6, and they only one defenceman is signed for next year). Seems to me like they'll be within a few million of the cap, regardless of how competitive they actually are.
Huh? I'm confused. The Oilers have enough cap space for resigning and adding to the roster.

Hall 6M-RNH 6M-Eberle 6M
Perron 3.8M-Gagner 4.8M-Yakupov 3.75M
Hendricks 1.85M-Gordon 3M-UFA
Joensuu 875K-Lander/Arcobello (Both resigned)-UFA/Farm Piece

Ference 3.25M-J. Schultz 4M (Resigned)
UFA-Petry 3M (Resigned)
Marincin 730K-UFA
Belov 1M Resigned

Scrivens 2M
UFA

Do the math, we will have 18.8M in cap space to sign the UFA's that we need. Also, Gagner looks like to be gone, and my resignings are about what people are saying or just above the rate people want to resign them for. The needs are a #1-#2 defenceman, a Bottom 6 forward, an upgrade to our Top 6 if possible (preferably a PWF), and a 1A or 1B goalie. We will have enough cap to do that. And even if we don't, we can always make trades with teams.

Paralyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 12:15 PM
Yog S'loth

Congrats to Ben. Underrated goalie, playing well for Edmonton. EDM locks him in at a great price for 1/1A goalie and Scrivens gets a payday and some security.

Yog S'loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 12:24 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
I'd love to get Bryzgalov signed to a similar deal and roll with them both next year
That would be a good move for the Oil IMO

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 12:33 PM
oiLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srsly View Post
Decent value for a solid backup with number 1 upside. He's also fairly young which is a must for a rebuilding team like the Oilers.

Toronto is a graveyard for goalies and he's mixed his technique up a little since being traded to LA.

I think this is a good move for the oilers. So far he's given them some of the best goaltending they've seen in years(not that it takes much) and 2 mil isn't horrible for a backup goaltender either.The contract could end up being a steal.

If he continues his play and the Oilers can find a few pieces in the off season they may even make the playoffs next year.
Lets not get carried away!

Happy with the signing though. Ben's a good guy and he will continue to flourish in Edmonton.

oiLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 12:35 PM
LTIR

vCash: 300
2.3M per as per capgeek

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Kulleroinen*
Oilers!

Maybe it is a sign and trade-thingy. If not, I'm still happy.

Kulleroinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 12:38 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulleroinen View Post
Maybe it is a sign and trade-thingy. If not, I'm still happy.
We wouldn't get enough in trade to consider moving him.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 12:54 PM
TorontoTrades

Oilers got a steal.

2 million is back up money and he's played great since getting there. .940 save% 2.49GAA on a basement team.

this is small risk big reward at it's finest... even if Scrivens regresses to an average goalie it's average value.

Scrivens only signing 2 years gives him a tryout basically to prove he's worthy of a big money/term deal.

a good move by EDM management... sorry, don't get to say that often.

TorontoTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 12:55 PM
KPower

Good deal for both sides.

Happy for Scrivens.

KPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 01:05 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

This is a good signing for the Oilers. Those kids need to know that management isn't just waiting for the next draft pick to save them. Scrivens played well, in Toronto, good for the Kings, and excellent for the Oilers(so far). They've played with more confidence knowing they have Brivens back there. Doesn't solve goaltending issues for the next two years but it definitely doesn't hurt it either. They still need a starter or 1B like Halak/Khudobin/Elliot/Montoya

03-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Glide5
HFB Partner

Glad to see Scrivens found a home. I think this was a great trade for Edmonton, and will help them until they can draft a young, stud propspect. Ben is still young, and has a lot of talent. 2 for 2 is a fair number on both sides.

Glide5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
Hopefully for their sake they aren't banking on Scrivens being the starter... pretty good backup though or maybe even a 1B if the Oilers cant find a legit starter
His numbers are pretty impressive. I see them also going after someone who's not established, and hoping that the two can push eachother, and that they end up with one legit starter out of the pair.

03-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Horseradish

The guy has made JUST over half a million dollars for 4 or 5 years now. And all of a sudden he's worth almost quadruple that number? No. Way. He hasn't shown enough to prove that he deserves better than Josh Harding and Braden Holtby and as much as Ben Bishop and Michael Neuvirth? I certainly don't think so.

1.5-1.7 would've been perfectly reasonable.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

$2.3 mil per

Quote:
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Ben Scrivens deal in Edmonton: $2.3 million per season
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/...72598821220352

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 01:42 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
The guy has made JUST over half a million dollars for 4 or 5 years now. And all of a sudden he's worth almost quadruple that number? No. Way. He hasn't shown enough to prove that he deserves better than Josh Harding and Braden Holtby and as much as Ben Bishop and Michael Neuvirth? I certainly don't think so.

Is that a joke? Hilarious if it is!

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 01:43 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:

Don't be ridiculous. He absolutely has earned 2.3 per

03-03-2014, 01:46 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post

With all the players left to re-sign for next year, are the Oilers even poised to have a ton of cap space?
There's a few overpaid UFAs that will walk, but their spots will have to get replaced, and some key RFAs will be getting paid (RNH boosts to 6, and they only one defenceman is signed for next year). Seems to me like they'll be within a few million of the cap, regardless of how competitive they actually are.
They have ~42.6m committed to 12 players, with the RFA guys being Petry, Gazdic, Larsen and Schultz. Those 4 shouldn't cost more than 8-10m depending on the term handed out (Petry around 3-4m, and Schultz around 2.5-3.5m).

That leaves roughly 20m to find a #1 goalie, a #2C (however this would mean someone in the top 6 is traded, so likely close to salary neutral), ideally 2 top 4D and a couple of 3rd line wingers/bottom 6 forwards.

Even if you overpay for the D and the #2C (say 18m for all three), with shipping out 1 forward they'd still have ~7m for a goalie and a couple of bottom 6 forwards. They would be in even better shape next season with the cap going up and their core locked up. So while they have to be smart about it (depending on what options are out there), they really do have tons of cap room.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 01:47 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leova View Post
2mil for a backup goalie is pretty cheap, and it certainly isn't the longest of contracts. given edmonton's massive struggles, having a potentially-solid backup/1a goalie signed for 2mil/2yrs is a pretty good setup
2mil for a backup goalie is not cheap. There are only 3 teams currently paying a backup goalie $2m or more:

Pittsburgh - Vokuun $2m
Anaheim - Fasth $2.9m
New Jersey - Brodeur $4.5m (Schneider $4.0m)

Paying $4-5m for a 1a/1b tandem is very reasonable though, presuming it actually ends up being a tandem.

Last edited by mouser: 03-03-2014 at 03:10 PM.
mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 01:58 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:

There is a big difference between RFA dollars and UFA dollars. The only one of those your listed who could have went for UFA dollars was Harding, and his condition makes him a gamble, so he took the safe deal. Ask yourself if Holtby, Neuvirith or Bishop will be getting under 2 million once the hit UFA eligibility.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Signature
Kings of the Rebuild

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
2mil for a backup goalie is not cheap. There are only 3 teams currently paying a backup goalie $2m or more:

Pittsburgh - Vokuun $2m
Anaheim - Fasth $2.9m
New Jersey - Brodeur $4.5m (Schneider $2.0m)

Paying $4-5m for a 1a/1b tandem is very reasonable though, presuming it actually ends up being a tandem.
Pretty much this.
It's a slight overpayment if he's not going to be tandem material and will just ride the pine for 50-60 games.
It's a great contract if he outperforms Bryzgalov and establishes himself as a 1A/1B.
Obviously (but not obvious enough to some) it's a "show me" contract.

Either way the money's rather insignificant and the reason why his backup contract is "inflated" is because it's near the end of the season, the Oilers clearly aren't buying, and the cap is going up anyways so if adjusted, it's right around the ballpark.

Not a bad signing.

Signature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Punn

Good for him. Scrivens is such a good guy...deserves every penny because he works hard ...he earned it.

I remember reading an article last year about Scrivens and how he lived in a basement apartment and bought a used 1998 Chevy off Kijiji...obviously values other things rather than materiality...got me kind of choked up (in my opinion)

(Out of all respect, please don't turn this into a poverty debate)

Reference: http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/..._scrivens.html

Punn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 02:14 PM
mangdas

Some of you in this thread listen to Doug Maclean too much. Scrivens isn't a backup. He'll get to show what he can do infront of what hopefully is a much improved defensive squad these next 2 years.

mangdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 02:15 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorkkila View Post
Good for Ben and the Oilers
Bad for Mrs. Scrivens
Always a worthwhile contribution. Yeesh.

This is a great deal for the Oilers. Scrivens's stat line both while in Edmonton and prior to the trade has been great. He han't earned top goalie money, nor has he shown he can be The Guy. But this deal gives him every opportunity to go after that job with incentive. And if he keeps plugging along at this pace and plays >45 games... MacT will deserve Scrivy's degree posted on his wall.

Of course, not long ago the Oilers were hopeful that a different goalie would prove himself worthy of a contract. And we all know how THAT went.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post

Pittsburgh - Vokuun $2m
Anaheim - Fasth $2.9m
New Jersey - Brodeur $4.5m (Schneider $2.0m)

Chicago - Khabibulin 2 million
Toronto - Reimer 1.9 million(RFA)
Minnesota - Harding 1.9 million
Washinton - Nuevirth 2.5 million
Tampa - Lindback 1.8 million(RFA)
St. Louis - Elliot 1.8 million(UFA)

How many of these guys have outplayed Scrivens this year? Those RFA's will all be making as much as Scrivens next year

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote