HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Florida takes Luongo to arbitration?

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis

vCash: 500
For all we know maybe Luongo and the Panthers management both agreed to take these negotiations to arbitration, because they both had very different ideas of how much Luongo deserved, so they figured the best way to determine that was through arbitration. We haven't heard any comments from either side yet, so to assume the worst is premature.

Does Luongo qualify for UFA next season, or the one after?

Old
08-11-2005, 09:35 PM
Clash*

Luongo has played in the NHL for five seasons with a minimum of 20 games. The missed season goes towards a season of active duty. So Luongo plays this next season, he'll be 26 with seven years of NHL service and qualify for unrestricted free agency, if I read that part of the CBA right. Dumbass move by Keenan.

Old
08-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Lexicon Devil

I think people are making way too big a deal out of pleasing franchise players as RFAs. Years from now, when Nash or Luongo or whoever come up for UFA, the first thing on their mind is not going to be how they were treated in previous contract negotiations. They will look at the offers on the table, the teams the offers are from, and make a decision from there.

It's not like Rick Nash is going to say in 2009, "gee Columbus, your five-year $50 million deal to keep me here sure sounds good, and I really like the team and city, but since you didn't give me that extra few million years ago, I'm outta here just to spite you."

Old
08-11-2005, 09:55 PM
Asiaoil

Wake up folks - Keenan just took away any RFA raiding ideas that teams may have been considering - and Luongo was certainly a prime candidate along with the other big RFAs (Nash, Heatley, Spezza etc). Not being able to actually see the CBA - I don't know if RFA offer sheets are public - but the Nash contract smells like a matching offer to me. Smart move by Keenan to protect his most valuable asset.

Old
08-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Lexicon Devil

Yeah, keep dreaming about all those RFA offer sheets you predicted. I'm sure Rick Nash signed one and yet noone heard anything about it.

Anyways, didn't you say that the absence of any RFA offer sheets in the first week would be sure sign that the owners were colluding by not offering them?

Old
08-11-2005, 10:39 PM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
RFA offer sheets = fantasy

Old
08-11-2005, 10:47 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Is Gilles Lupien living in fantasy land?I remember when Lupien represented Martin Brodeur and Lupien wanted more money than Lou Lamoriello wanted to give Brodeur.That negotiation got nasty and Brodeur eventually dumped Lupien.Broduer had a Cup on his resume

Old
08-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil
Yeah, keep dreaming about all those RFA offer sheets you predicted. I'm sure Rick Nash signed one and yet noone heard anything about it.

Anyways, didn't you say that the absence of any RFA offer sheets in the first week would be sure sign that the owners were colluding by not offering them?
Well there are several cases of young RFAs signing for amounts that would require paltry compensation (eg Sedins and others) - so it seems like something is up. On the other hand - the whole Nash situation just smells funny with Columbus opening up the bank vault after the guy has lost a years salary and will lose another if he holds out until Dec 15. The only leverage Nash has is an offer sheet. Same with Luongo - why arb him unless you are worried about a raid. If offer sheets are not a real threat then these guys have absolutely no leverage - you really think ANYONE will hold out this year?

Until the NHL actually releases the CBA or stuff leaks I think it is pretty presumptuous to start assuming that you are right - because you don't have a clue as to what is going on behind the scenes (nor do I). But you have to admit there is some funny stuff going on.

Old
08-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

This will really help the Keenan-Luongo situation.

Old
08-12-2005, 12:06 AM
jazuli14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic
I really thought Lou would take ALL of his players to arbitration, lol
I realize this is sarcasm, but for the benefit of those who may not know, any team can only take a max of two of their players to arbitration.

Old
08-12-2005, 05:20 AM
Jakethesnake

Ive said it before.......

The concept of "keeping players happy" is just silly. Luongo is going to play as hard this year as he did last year, mostly because he wants to put himself in the best position possible next year. He isnt gonna do a tank job in retaliation to going to arbitration because if he does, how will that help him make more money next year??

Old
08-12-2005, 06:51 AM
tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Luongo ended the 2003-04 season,asking for an $8m a yr contract.

FL held firm and he signed for about $2.5m.

Until we know what his current contract demands are,I don't see how anyone can accuse FL of lowballing him.

as for demanding a trade..he's missed a full yr of pay.I doubt he and his agent want him missing 2 full yrs and not moving any closer to becoming a ufa.

Based on this article, one can really question Keenan's move no ?

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...HERS_0812.html

Old
08-12-2005, 07:06 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminus
RFA offer sheets = fantasy
No offer sheets = collusion.

And I say that knowing full well that my favorite team had players who would have been ripe for an offer sheet.

Old
08-12-2005, 07:51 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami

I'm surprised by a few things..that Kennan is letting $600,000 stand between the team and it's most important player and that FL preferred a 1 or 2 yr deal,instead of the proposed 5 yr deal.

I expected Luongo to be asking for the 20% maximum,not $4m a yr.

Old
08-12-2005, 08:17 AM
chara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Not really.

It just means you're asking a 3rd party to intervene because you can't reach an agreement.
Exactly.

In the end, the Panthers will pay Luongo more than they paid him last season. Heck, Luongo may actually win in arbritration.

All this ensures is he's in camp on time. Holding out could really hamper his conditioning and the Panthers success early in the season. The Panthers need every win if they plan on making the playoffs.

Old
08-12-2005, 08:29 AM
wint
#CatsAreComing

I don't believe that Luongo's agent was really starting negotiations at $4 million/year over 5 years. In the same article he says Luongo belongs in the realm of Thornton and Khabibulin's $6.5-$7 million contracts. And it's hard to imagine that Keenan wouldn't settle on a long term deal somewhere around $4 million.

Also, I have never liked the "I'm so hurt by my contract offers and the arbitration process" angle that players sometimes take. It always seems like a carefully considered but childish threat to not play hard or to leave the team as soon as possible, hoping for more money. I love Luongo, but I just hate the "don't make me upset" factor in negotiations.

Old
08-12-2005, 08:37 AM
wint
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Wake up folks - Keenan just took away any RFA raiding ideas that teams may have been considering - and Luongo was certainly a prime candidate along with the other big RFAs (Nash, Heatley, Spezza etc).
This could have been a prime factor, IMO. The fact is, no one knows if RFA raiding will occur more frequently under the current CBA than in the past. The incentives to do so are certainly higher. The lower UFA age makes the 1st round draft picks less valuable (you only get them for 7 years), plus you now have a real chance of getting your guy by pushing the other team over the cap.

And if anyone's going to get poached, Luongo could be the guy.

Old
08-12-2005, 08:38 AM
Tuggy
Homer glasses on

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandels
All I gotta say is Keenan is one tough SOB. Or stupid. Or both.
I think the latter is probably more accurate. By the sounds of it Roberto wasn't too pleased with Iron Mike's decision. Not a good idea to burn the bridge of your best player.

Old
08-12-2005, 08:46 AM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wint
I don't believe that Luongo's agent was really starting negotiations at $4 million/year over 5 years. In the same article he says Luongo belongs in the realm of Thornton and Khabibulin's $6.5-$7 million contracts. And it's hard to imagine that Keenan wouldn't settle on a long term deal somewhere around $4 million.

Also, I have never liked the "I'm so hurt by my contract offers and the arbitration process" angle that players sometimes take. It always seems like a carefully considered but childish threat to not play hard or to leave the team as soon as possible, hoping for more money. I love Luongo, but I just hate the "don't make me upset" factor in negotiations.
Of course, that's not where they started from. Who would start negotiations at what you'd take? You start at what you want...see what they're offering...then meet somewhere in the middle. Yes his agent said he wants his client to be the highest paid goaltender in the league. Also before the lockout (and that was also to re-work an existing contract which he signed when he thought he'd be splitting duties) when contracts were higher and no cap in place.

I'm sure the arbiter will take the contracts of goaltenders like Turco, Giguere, Nabokov, Thibault, etc. to base the decision from. So it will be in the area that Keenan was offering. The difference though is that Luongo is 3-4 yrs younger than any of those guys and just 2 yrs away from UFA (or maybe less...I dunno the way some of the wording of the new CBA).

FL fans shouldn't worry about him tanking at all because he knows it will effect his next contract. But he'll be hopping aboard the 1st train outta Pantherland as soon as he's an UFA. And the Panthers will be competing against plenty of teams that will have cap room when he's available. While some don't care if it hurts the players feelings or whatever, I'll say it again...money talks and BS walks. This is clearly BS to take him to arbitration instead of negotiating a deal fair to both parties. If they couldn't agree to a $4 mil/yr deal then something is obviously more wrong in Pantherland than I ever thought.

Old
08-12-2005, 09:00 AM
Egil

Nobody is going to raid Luongo, as that would be 4 first round picks (and Florida would have the right to match, which they probably would). As a proponent on poaching, I have always maintained that it wouldn't be the top guys (Luongo, Hossa, Thornton, etc.), but the guys below that (Havlat, Sedin's, Gagne, etc.). I still think we may see a couple offers come in eventually, but I think GM's are still coming to grips with teh CBA and don't want the added. hastle of a RFA offer sheet.

And I agree with the no need to overpay your RFA sentiment.

Alfredsson held out in Ottawa one time. Yet did we have any problems getting him to sign an extension? Nope.

Old
08-12-2005, 09:20 AM
FlaPanthers7

Keenan said he would match all offers.

Interesting take from Lupien:

Lupien said he felt the $4 million figure was reasonable after Chicago signed Nikolai Khabibulin for four years at $6.75 million last week. He also noted the three-year, $25 million deal Joe Thornton signed with Boston Thursday.

"That's the group of players he should be in," Lupien said. "But they're offering about half of that. It's impossible for us to sign."

Lupien said he even offered to seek a trade to another team that would pay his client what he deserves.

"Maybe I'm too much in love with the player, but I don't think he's half (the player) those guys are."

Is this guy nuts???

Old
08-12-2005, 09:26 AM
I am Jack's Fish

Send a message via AIM to I am Jack's Fish
Word on the street is that the Panthers owner is now very upset with Keenan for signing Roberts and Nieuwendyk for too much money, especially after losing out on getting Pronger in a trade.

Old
08-12-2005, 09:46 AM
wint
#CatsAreComing

I would have thought that the player would get to choose the length of the contract (1 or 2 years) after the arbitrator rules, similar to how the teams got to choose the length after the player took them to arbitration under the old CBA. Does anyone know if this is true?

Old
08-12-2005, 09:54 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami

now you know where those ridiculous luongo rumours came from - his agent. his agent sound like a jackass. i dont mind the arbitration process if its toned down from what it was and can come down to a decent agreement. i bet the big problem here is the agent and keenan. keenan probably is just at the point where everyone is better off letting someone else decide it instead of argueing with lupien. the only negative talk here is from loungo's side.

Old
08-12-2005, 10:26 AM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fisch
Word on the street is that the Panthers owner is now very upset with Keenan for signing Roberts and Nieuwendyk for too much money, especially after losing out on getting Pronger in a trade.
What's the line on Keenan getting fired after 1 yr as GM? I figure its about 5-2...better odds than FL making the playoffs at the very least.

Closed Thread