HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Players you thought would be great, but busted

Old
03-18-2014, 08:54 AM
aemoreira1981

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muelch View Post
Colten Teubert and Thomas Hickey were 13th and 4th overalls respectively for the Kings and were major busts for us, never playing in a Kings uniform. Looks like Derek Forbort (15th overall) is next

I guess Hickey is turning around on the Isles but was a total waste of a number 4 pick for LA
The Islanders thank you very much for Hickey though...he has been a regular in our lineup.

BTW, has Andrei Zyuzin come up at all? Or Mark Bell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Oh man...here goes.
  • Denis Shvidki
  • Kris Beech
  • Erik Christensen
  • Aleksey Morozov
  • Milan Kraft
  • Niklas Hagman
  • Jaroslav Svejkovsky
  • Radek Bonk
  • Robert Dome
  • Tomas Surovy
  • Alexander Svitov
  • Alek Stojanov
  • Brett Lindros
  • Oleg Kvasha
  • Thomas Hickey
  • Chad Kilger
  • David Tanabe
  • Krys Kolanos
  • Peter Mueller
  • Wojtek Wolski
  • Enver Lisin
  • Pavel Brendl
  • Jack Skille
  • Cam Barker
  • Nail Yakupov
  • Jason Bonsignore
  • Rico Fata
  • Nikita Filatov
  • Patrik Stefan
  • Maksim Mayorov
  • Konstantin Koltsov
  • Daniel Tkaczuk
  • Steve Eminger
  • Alex Daigle
  • Brandon Sutter
  • Jordan Staal
  • Jared "The best one" Staal
  • Rick DiPietro
  • Dan Blackburn

I am missing a few, some were highly touted picks, others were guys that I thought were going to be good to great and never got there.

I think the saddest ones, out of my list, is Blackburn and Dome (one worked out too hard and messed up his shoulder, the other basically lost his family and Craig Patrick's brother destroyed his potential). Also Kolanos, I remember his rookie year, he was having an amazing year and an early favorite for the Calder, then I think he got rocked with a concussion and that was it, he never ever recovered from it, he's barely a 4th liner at the NHL level and an AHL journeyman, whereas before, this guy could have been a top 6C.
I'm going to dispute Bonk, Tanabe, Sutter, Staal, and Morozov. Bonk did play almost 1,000 games in the NHL, Tanabe was an NHL regular but suffered a career-ending injury, and the Aleksey Morozov would probably have remained in the NHL if not for the lockout (he went back to Russia during the lockout and never left; he currently is captain of CSKA Moscow after Radulov was stripped of the captaincy).

As for Jordan Staal, in Pittsburgh, he was stuck behind Sid and Geno at the center position, which forced them to trade him for Brandon Sutter, who is better suited for a checking role. Sutter does the role that is expected of him...shutdown defense. (Staal was going to leave Pittsburgh as a 24-year old UFA had he not been traded.)

Last edited by aemoreira1981: 03-18-2014 at 09:01 AM.
aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 09:23 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Do people really still need the stuff about Jared Staal being "the best one" debunked at this point?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 09:25 AM
Dr Pepper

vCash: 50
I had high hopes for Fabian Brunnstrom, especially after that debut vs. Nashville.

03-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Richard

vCash: 145
Milan Kraft. I saw him rifle pucks over the shoulder of Ron Tugnut in 2000 and thought he was can't miss.

Many evidently shared in my conviction as the rumor was he was wanted by LA in 2001 for Blake but Patrick wouldn't pull the trigger.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 09:34 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I had high hopes for Fabian Brunnstrom, especially after that debut vs. Nashville.
The guy he was eventually traded for, Mikhail Stefanovich, was another one I had hopes for.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 09:36 AM
HarrisonFord
Mindawakebodyasleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chungo View Post
Nikita Filatov.

I still remember the 2008 draft when the Leafs traded up to get Luke Schenn and I was pissed! I thought that Nikita Filatov was going to be the next Bure and the last thing the Leafs needed to start the rebuild was a stay-at-home defense.

Last I heard he was traded to Ottawa for a 3rd round pick and now playing in the KHL.

Any others?
Oh Filatov. One of my favourite stories is him getting called into the coaches office to look at game tape because they want him to crash the net for rebounds and Filatov says, "Filly don't do rebounds"

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:19 PM
jhoops89
R.I.P. Thrashers

Peter Mueller for me.

Also why are people calling Nail Yalupov a bust, he hasn't even played a full two years in the NHL yet and I personally think he's suffering from the sophomore slump.

jhoops89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:22 PM
frontsfan2005

David Tanabe

Had a good start to his career, very good 2000-01 season, looked like he'd become a 10-15 goal, 40-50 point defenseman, then completely fell off the map.

frontsfan2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:29 PM
huntison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasparov View Post
As a Blues fan, drafting Erik Johnson still hurts. Not a bust by any means, but certainly didn't live up to expectations.

I mean, we got a pretty good return for him, but still.
Yeah any of Toews, Lucic, Giroux, Backstrom, Kessel would have been nice.

huntison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:03 AM
McGhost Division
Pray for Matthews

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
Oh Filatov. One of my favourite stories is him getting called into the coaches office to look at game tape because they want him to crash the net for rebounds and Filatov says, "Filly don't do rebounds"
Did that actually happen?!?!

McGhost Division is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:12 AM
nexguy

Aleksey Morozov. Boy was he touted heavily. Amazing in the KHL...not so much here except against Brodeur.

nexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:16 PM
Mach85

Quote:
Oh man...here goes.
  • Denis Shvidki
  • Kris Beech
  • Erik Christensen
  • Aleksey Morozov
  • Milan Kraft
  • Niklas Hagman
  • Jaroslav Svejkovsky
  • Radek Bonk
  • Robert Dome
  • Tomas Surovy
  • Alexander Svitov
  • Alek Stojanov
  • Brett Lindros
  • Oleg Kvasha
  • Thomas Hickey
  • Chad Kilger
  • David Tanabe
  • Krys Kolanos
  • Peter Mueller
  • Wojtek Wolski
  • Enver Lisin
  • Pavel Brendl
  • Jack Skille
  • Cam Barker
  • Nail Yakupov
  • Jason Bonsignore
  • Rico Fata
  • Nikita Filatov
  • Patrik Stefan
  • Maksim Mayorov
  • Konstantin Koltsov
  • Daniel Tkaczuk
  • Steve Eminger
  • Alex Daigle
  • Brandon Sutter
  • Jordan Staal
  • Jared "The best one" Staal
  • Rick DiPietro
  • Dan Blackburn

I am missing a few, some were highly touted picks, others were guys that I thought were going to be good to great and never got there.

I think the saddest ones, out of my list, is Blackburn and Dome (one worked out too hard and messed up his shoulder, the other basically lost his family and Craig Patrick's brother destroyed his potential). Also Kolanos, I remember his rookie year, he was having an amazing year and an early favorite for the Calder, then I think he got rocked with a concussion and that was it, he never ever recovered from it, he's barely a 4th liner at the NHL level and an AHL journeyman, whereas before, this guy could have been a top 6C.
Tkaczuk and Lindros fit into the concussion victim category as well. And can you elaborate on Dome?

Mach85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Newfy OilPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Ryan Ellis

The guy was great in the ohl and was great at the world juniors. I don't usually put much stock in the world juniors but he was very good. I guess he's still got potential but with the way his career hS been so far I doubt he'll every reach his pre nhl hype
This, I actually keep forgetting he's in the NHL. I expect Matt dumba to be the same way as well.

Also, Cheechoo comes to mind. Pogge. Also a wildcard one, Daniel Ryder. He had potential to be better then his brother, unfortunately he wasn't all there upstairs

Newfy OilPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfy IceCapd View Post
This, I actually keep forgetting he's in the NHL. I expect Matt dumba to be the same way as well.

Also, Cheechoo comes to mind. Pogge. Also a wildcard one, Daniel Ryder. He had potential to be better then his brother, unfortunately he wasn't all there upstairs
I honestly expected Ellis to be like Karlsson, Doughty or Pietro. He definitely had to potential and the fact that he went to Nashville I thought he was a sure thing.

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 05:05 PM
ToewsGretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chungo View Post
Nikita Filatov.

I still remember the 2008 draft when the Leafs traded up to get Luke Schenn and I was pissed! I thought that Nikita Filatov was going to be the next Bure and the last thing the Leafs needed to start the rebuild was a stay-at-home defense.

Last I heard he was traded to Ottawa for a 3rd round pick and now playing in the KHL.

Any others?
I totally agree, everybody said Filatov was going to be a star, I remember him being the most dangerous player on the ice for Russia against Canada in the world juniors, he just never made it in the NHL.

ToewsGretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 05:17 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Chris DiDomenico.

Played in the WJC's, put up 35 points in 15 games during the QMJHL playoffs, was poised for a huge year in 2009-10 but suffered a devastating leg injury and never really recovered.

Always thought he would be a Perron-type of player in the NHL....now he's ripping up the Italy league.
Hated him in that WJC and hated the way he played. I wish no ill will towards anyone, but I can't say I'm sorry to see that he didn't pan out. Dirty player imo.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 05:17 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
Paajarvi for me.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 05:19 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Oh man...here goes.
  • [
  • Milan Kraft
  • Jaroslav Svejkovsky
  • Robert Dome
These 3 guys and Oleg Saprykin..... I remember taking each one in a fantasy draft because the respective team boards here were drooling over them.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Acetylene
Marner & Nylander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
when jeff o'neill first came up with the whalers i was convinced he would be the future of the franchise for years to come, never really panned out though
While I agree that he didn't fulfill expectations, he was far from a bust with 800+ games and about 500 points.
I'll say that Tedenby and Bergfors are busts, and I am sad to say that Rundblad is heading in that direction as well. I had high hopes for him..

Acetylene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 06:03 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
when jeff o'neill first came up with the whalers i was convinced he would be the future of the franchise for years to come, never really panned out though
I hated the Canes for believing in himself so much that they put Kapanen on his hated left side in his very prime. Destroyed his would've been best season in his career. It did however result in him rounding off his game more though and becoming a better allround player.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 06:40 PM
catmanhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post
After the first time he retired, he said in an interview that he just never like playing hockey, and only did it because his father basically forced him to keep playing. But of course he came out of retirement to get a paycheck once his acting career shockingly didn't pan out.
Funny story I have of him..I played organized hockey until about the age of 16 and I think he was the cousin or something of one of my coaches. Anyway he came to one of our practices, and during the end of game scrimmage we had I backchecked hard,stripped the puck off him, and turned it back down ice and we scored. My grandfather wouldn't stop talking about it for days (he was the one who always took me to hockey the man LOVED the game) Anyways he'd say "can you believe that you stole the puck from Daigle!?" This was the year he was going into the draft and everyone was talking about him. Funny thing is I only played Bantam "A" lol I always remembered thinking "whats the fuss about this guy?" after skating with him for an hour. Lazy guy he was and FULL of himself.

Anyways, to the OP..I always felt Danius Zubrus would have been much more dominant than he turned out to be (still solid player though)

catmanhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 07:07 PM
ot92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk41 View Post
Prime Gretzky isn't putting that up in this era.
he probably does.

ot92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Philippe Boucher. He looked like he was going to be a top flight offensive defenseman. Never really turned out that way, but that nasty wrist injury he suffered took away 2 years from his career. He wasn't exactly a bust, as he had a decent career.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 07:21 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highstyx View Post
I like your signature.

OK Busts: Petr Nedved, Alex Stojanov,and Pat Faloon,
Nedved had a decent NHL career. 5-time 60 point scorer, including one season where he scored 45 goals and 99 pts.

He would have probably had close to 1150 NHL games on his resume if it wasn't for a few lockouts and him holding out a few times. A 0.73 PPG average throughout his NHL career, which would be about 59 pts/season, I think plenty of NHL players wouldn't mind having those numbers.

iamjs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 07:24 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 1307
Some of you need to redefine what a bust is. I've seen Yakupov and Nedved's name in here.... yeah, uh, not busts.

Filatov was a huge bust. So much skill.

alcanalz is online now   Reply With Quote