HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[NYI/PHI] Andrew MacDonald for Matt Mangene, 2015 2nd and 2014 3rd round picks

Old
03-05-2014, 12:09 AM
TheLegendkiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoods View Post
This site is a great joy to read sometimes. As a forum about hockey, it is above and beyond my favorite. However, the posters here really annoy me sometimes. I get that you think that the Flyers have no chance to make noise come playoff time. But, they're second in their division after one of their worst starts in team history.

To not attempt to improve the team for this year would be a travesty. Plenty of teams come out of nowhere to win the cup. The Flyers know that improving the defense is required. They also know that they don't want to give up any of their marketable assets. This trade did exactly that.

A 2nd round pick in a supposedly strong draft a year and a half from now is moot. They can recoup a 2nd round pick rather easily.
This. God damn, **** with the ******** over a trade for a depth defenseman. Waaaaaay too much prima-donna crying and tears going on here. Its been this way since like 2011. Maybe people should be more optimistic instead of all doom and gloom? Negativity just breads negativity.

TheLegendkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 01:18 AM
mercury

Soooo. . . Meszaros to Boston for a 3rd, and then B. Schenn, L. Schenn, and picks to Vancouver for Kesler and Edler?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 01:31 AM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

vCash: 50
The Flyers should just trade Gus and be done with it. this trade pretty much seals his fate. unless there are injuries he will not play for this team.
Is MacDonald an upgrade over Meszaros. sure. Is he an upgrade over Gus? I dont think he is. The Flyers just continue to stockpile bottom pairing guys.
This move is only a win if Mez is traded before the deadline. if he isnt its pointless as hell.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 01:43 AM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRacki View Post
A 23-year-old former first-round pick/top prospect vs a 27-year-old former sixth-round pick. This after all is a Hockey's Future site and so prospects/picks are given loads of value, probably too much value ... but that's probably another discussion.

Anyhow, I too don't see the fascination with Rundblad. He's getting to be around the age where guys are who they are.
I agree about Rundblad. he really isnt anything special. I have seen him quite a few times and he really isnt that great.
Rundblad is likely nearing that point in his hockey career where as you said you are who you are. Could he end up being a late bloomer and reach his potential? sure but he has shown little to any improvement in his development the last 2-3 seasons. A stretch in a young players careeer where you hope to see it. I personally am glad Holmgren stayed away. a 2nd would have been to much on what is right now a AHL defender.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 02:05 AM
Ryker

This trade is ********, screw MacDonald.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 02:16 AM
OzFlyers
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
This trade is ********, screw MacDonald.
So Islanders fans were expecting a first for him even though they say he sucked this year? (as do the Islanders).

So far so good with Homer not giving up roster players,

OzFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 02:21 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
So far so good with Homer not giving up roster players,
I would be *****ing about it even if we got him for free.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 02:39 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
I just fear that Giroux will get old and become a shell of himself before this defense is ready.
I might have more patience to wait for these great prospects we drafted if I believed that they would be successful.
But for every Pietriangelo, there are at least 2 Runblads.
Well needless to say unless they make a deal for a better defenseman, this is gonna be real ugly next year.
Well, Giroux is still 26, so if it takes like 7 years to get the D into contending shape...

03-05-2014, 02:46 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Well, Giroux is still 26, so if it takes like 7 years to get the D into contending shape...
Especially if 33-year-old Giroux plays like 33-year-old Vincent Lecavalier, we are screwed...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 03:32 AM
Calderone
old time hockey

I'm pretty sure that in the bigger picture this is Macdonald in, Kimmo out due to retirement. There is no questioning Macdonald is better than what they've been getting out of their current 3/4 dmen.. he was playing top pair mins on a bad team, so of course he has a bad +/- .. You slot him in on the 2nd pairing with Streit and it's instant upgrade.. He also brings a bit more offensively than I think people are giving him credit for. I'm just scared that Homer will do what he does best, give him way too much money for way too long, but I know he will.

If you want the Flyers to make the playoffs MacD helps them, he's just not a world-beater.

Calderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 03:50 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderone View Post
I'm pretty sure that in the bigger picture this is Macdonald in, Kimmo out due to retirement. There is no questioning Macdonald is better than what they've been getting out of their current 3/4 dmen.. he was playing top pair mins on a bad team, so of course he has a bad +/- .. You slot him in on the 2nd pairing with Streit and it's instant upgrade.. He also brings a bit more offensively than I think people are giving him credit for. I'm just scared that Homer will do what he does best, give him way too much money for way too long, but I know he will.

If you want the Flyers to make the playoffs MacD helps them, he's just not a world-beater.
With a little time to think about it I came to the conclusion that this could be a really good move, if we follow it up in the offseason by aquiring a #1.

A group of a #1, Coburn, MacDonald, Streit along with whoever is left of Grossmann, Schenn, Gustaffson could be pretty good.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 05:20 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 826

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 05:59 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Robidas would have returned a 2nd if he was healthy. Dude broke his leg and hasn't played in three months. He should be back, but no one knows how a 37-year old is going to recover from that kind of injury.

The 4th is conditional, by the way. It becomes a 3rd if ANA gets to the conference finals and Robidas plays at least 50 percent of the games (or something to that effect).

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 06:03 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Robidas is also ten years older coming off a broken leg.

Mike Weaver is also 35.

Isn't that the reason these guys are cheap?

The general consensus on here is 30+ (and these guys are 35+) player are generally useless and worthless. Now the Flyers are stupid because they paid more for a 27 year old than a 35/37 year old.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 06:26 AM
BillDineen

I guess we should keep Mesz based off those stats.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 06:54 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Robidas is also ten years older coming off a broken leg.

Mike Weaver is also 35.

Isn't that the reason these guys are cheap?

The general consensus on here is 30+ (and these guys are 35+) player are generally useless and worthless. Now the Flyers are stupid because they paid more for a 27 year old than a 35/37 year old.
Let's not let age come into play here. We're dealing with overrated statistics.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 07:21 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Let's not let age come into play here. We're dealing with overrated statistics.
Careful, I think there is a stat to determine which stats are overrated. ORM+% measures the overrated plus percentage of each stat based on which which stat gets overrated more. It's practically infallible.

Old
03-05-2014, 07:28 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

9 out of 10 people know statistics are overrated.
It's a fact.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 07:55 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I don't know if another trade is going to be made. Dmen get hurt in the playoffs, it always happens, and having as many guys that can step in and play is probably something Holmgren likes.

Personally I don't really like the trade because I think its either going to end up being a rental or an expensive contract for an average defenseman. If they can recoup a pick or two by either trading a Dman now, or moving one of the UFA's rights in the offseason then it'll be ok.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 07:55 AM
Hiesenberg

MacDonald is hard to gauge right now because he's playing spots he shouldn't and minutes way above what he should.

He'll probably float around 18-19 mins here with Streit being the main offensive guy on the pairing and won't sniff the power play.

We need him to be sound defensively, block shots and the get the puck the **** out of the zone unlike Grossman and Schenn 90% of the time.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 08:01 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
MacDonald is hard to gauge right now because he's playing spots he shouldn't and minutes way above what he should.

He'll probably float around 18-19 mins here with Streit being the main offensive guy on the pairing and won't sniff the power play.

We need him to be sound defensively, block shots and the get the puck the **** out of the zone unlike Grossman and Schenn 90% of the time.
Isn't MacDonald the second leader in blocked shots since the lockout or something like that? I think just Marc Staal beats him in that category. Blocked shots probably is not a good measurement though, right? Neither are points (which he is second for defenseman on this team). Neither are the stats that tend to make him look good. Only the stats that make him look bad are valid.

Old
03-05-2014, 08:02 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post

If Mez gets moved, he probably plays on the second unit. Even if Mez doesn't get moved he might be on that unit. Mez hasn't done much, if anything, on the PP.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 08:04 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Isn't MacDonald the second leader in blocked shots since the lockout or something like that? I think just Marc Staal beats him in that category. Blocked shots probably is not a good measurement though, right? Neither are points (which he is second for defenseman on this team). Neither are the stats that tend to make him look good. Only the stats that make him look bad are valid.
What stats are valid?

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 08:04 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Girardi

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 08:19 AM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

Quote:
I guess Mez isn't so bad after all...

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote