HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Rundblad and Mathieu Brisebois to the Hawks for a 2nd (2014)

Old
03-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Fading Away

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
yep, no chance Oduya is with the Hawks come draft day.

can't afford to keep him and no real reason to after this season. Clendening or Rundblad can step in and take a 7th dman spot, and Leddy can finally move into the top 4 and become the stud we know he can be if given the full chance.
Having Clendening sitting in press box instead of playing is just going to hamper his development

Keep him in Rockford if that is case

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:13 PM
Hawkaholic

vCash: 500
Clendening is not NHL ready. He will be in Rockford for another full year, maybe 2.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:17 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Fading Away

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Clendening is not NHL ready. He will be in Rockford for another full year, maybe 2.
I still don't see him as a Hawk

Perfect trade chip going forward

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:42 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
He probably meant down from the original projection.
correct

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:44 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
please.

Nick Leddy wasn't ready either and by all accounts should just be getting his shot now.

Clendening is ready for a chance. You can't say he isn't ready when he hasn't been given a chance.

he will be 22 by start of next season with 2 full AHL seasons under his belt, time to see what he can do.

Old
03-07-2014, 02:05 PM
hockeydoug

I'm not sold on Clendening yet either.

I don't think Oduya is going anywhere, he's still better overall than Leddy and more cost effective. 20 minutes a game, he's as reliable as just about any number 4 around the league in any game situation and he blocks a ton of shots.

Think the trade value from Leddy makes him a target to leave before Oduya. I don't see Roszival around next year. Leddy is going to be a good player in the league for a while, but I'm not sure the circumstances are ideal to keep him around for next year given all the circumstances. It's going to be tough for him to earn 2.7 as a number 5 on Chicago.

If the cap is dropping to 68, the Rundblad move makes much more sense because of the cost and the flexibility it gives Bowman to adjust. I'm very curious if the move was influenced by the drop in the cap projection.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:05 PM
sketch22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Nick Leddy wasn't ready either and by all accounts should just be getting his shot now.
And Leddy was brutal in his two years with the Hawks. No need to go through that again with Clendening. Let him play in Rockford next year where he will get more playing time and play in more situations.

Quote:
Clendening is ready for a chance. You can't say he isn't ready when he hasn't been given a chance.
I'm guessing you don't watch a lot of Ice Hogs games. Watch him play and you will see that he still needs time to work on his game.

Quote:
he will be 22 by start of next season with 2 full AHL seasons under his belt, time to see what he can do.
Watch the Ice Hogs and you will see what he can and (more importantly) can't do as a player right now.

sketch22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:16 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
And Leddy was brutal in his two years with the Hawks. No need to go through that again with Clendening. Let him play in Rockford next year where he will get more playing time and play in more situations.

I'm guessing you don't watch a lot of Ice Hogs games. Watch him play and you will see that he still needs time to work on his game.

Watch the Ice Hogs and you will see what he can and (more importantly) can't do as a player right now.
I have watched the games, and him since his USNDP days, still not seeing it at all. He deserves a chance, just like Pirri got, simple as that. Clendening has things to work on, not arguing that, but to just say he needs more time is simply lazy. Oduya is close to brutal. you think that Clendening needs more time when that turnover machine is our #4??

come on man, and to Leddy being brutal, I would hardly call him that in the beginning but he certainly was in a bit over his head. Clendening has 2 full pro years under his belt, he will not be in the same situation Leddy was and thinking that is absurd.

the cost for Oduya is too much for this team next year, might as well pay a heck of a lot less for bad brain farts, sloppy play, and turnovers than what we are now.

Old
03-07-2014, 02:18 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post

I don't think Oduya is going anywhere, he's still better overall than Leddy and more cost effective. 20 minutes a game, he's as reliable as just about any number 4 around the league in any game situation and he blocks a ton of shots.

Think the trade value from Leddy makes him a target to leave before Oduya. I don't see Roszival around next year. Leddy is going to be a good player in the league for a while, but I'm not sure the circumstances are ideal to keep him around for next year given all the circumstances. It's going to be tough for him to earn 2.7 as a number 5 on Chicago.

If the cap is dropping to 68, the Rundblad move makes much more sense because of the cost and the flexibility it gives Bowman to adjust. I'm very curious if the move was influenced by the drop in the cap projection.
how can anyone be if he hasn't been given a chance to see what he can do up here.

Old
03-07-2014, 02:28 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I still don't see him as a Hawk

Perfect trade chip going forward
I agree. He seems redundant.

Johns is the guy to watch, IMO.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Nothingman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post

Overstate much?

Nothingman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:50 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
how can anyone be if he hasn't been given a chance to see what he can do up here.
I don't think the NHL club on a contending franchise should be a testing ground.

Old
03-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
I have watched the games, and him since his USNDP days, still not seeing it at all. He deserves a chance, just like Pirri got, simple as that. Clendening has things to work on, not arguing that, but to just say he needs more time is simply lazy. Oduya is close to brutal. you think that Clendening needs more time when that turnover machine is our #4??

come on man, and to Leddy being brutal, I would hardly call him that in the beginning but he certainly was in a bit over his head. Clendening has 2 full pro years under his belt, he will not be in the same situation Leddy was and thinking that is absurd.

the cost for Oduya is too much for this team next year, might as well pay a heck of a lot less for bad brain farts, sloppy play, and turnovers than what we are now.
Oh please, Oduya has been fine all year, where do you people come up with this stuff? The guy is playing against the opponents best every night and is still well above 0+/-. Yes, he has turnovers every once in a while, not any more than any other Dman we have. (4th in giveaways out of our Dmen).

And yes, Clendening is a turn over machine in Rockford, not the NHL. He needs more time, why bother rushing him like we did with Leddy? And personally, I think Leddy was much better defensively in his first year than Clendening is right now.

I'm OK with trading Oduya in the off-season, but not if it means Clendening comes up and plays instead, that is just asking for a disaster.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 03:17 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post

Has Bettman come out and (re)stated the Cap projection, down from when his earlier stated projection? Or is this speculation and not comfirmed by Bettman?

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 03:32 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Has Bettman come out and (re)stated the Cap projection, down from when his earlier stated projection? Or is this speculation and not comfirmed by Bettman?
Lombardi said it and was quoted in the LA times.

Quote:
Asked about his contract negotiations with defenseman Matt Greene, who is eligible for unrestricted free agency this summer, Lombardi said he was told the salary cap, initially projected to rise to about $71 million next season, will be significantly lower because of the recent weakness of the Canadian dollar. Lombardi said he verified that through the league. The drop will affect whether he can keep Greene, Willie Mitchell and Trevor Lewis, and it undoubtedly affected deadline-day decisions around the league.

"We found out, to our chagrin and surprise the other day, we had been told the cap was going to be $71 [million] and now with the Canadian dollar having tanked, that the cap could be as low as $68 [million]. That's a huge swing," Lombardi said. "So that's more of the talks with our three guys, Mitchell, Lewis and Greene, who we'd all like to bring back. That's more of a hindrance than anything we acquired today. "
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nhl-trades-elliott-20140306,0,7143483.column#ixzz2vJLZm4Lc

Old
03-07-2014, 03:35 PM
moose vasko

Dahlbeck > Johns > Clendening

moose vasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 03:56 PM
topnotch

If the cap is 68 million, I expect Rozsival to be the first to go.

It's a luxury paying 2.2 million for a #6 defender who can only play 1/2 time.

Oduya will not be traded unless the cap is lower still, and trading Rozsival isn't enough. Even under those circumstances I would expect Bowman to get more creative with the team.

Trading a top-4 Dman for cap purposes, one who only makes 3.375 million, is the act of a losing franchise.

topnotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 12:30 AM
SLarmer28*

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...in-salary-cap/

Quote:
Falling Canadian dollar could cause ‘huge swing’ in salary cap

Jason Brough
Mar 7, 2014, 12:07 PM EST

SLarmer28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 12:40 AM
SLarmer28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topnotch View Post
If the cap is 68 million, I expect Rozsival to be the first to go.

It's a luxury paying 2.2 million for a #6 defender who can only play 1/2 time.
Of the defenseman currently on the Chicago Blackhawks roster, the most likely candidate traded at the 2014 NHL Draft will be Michal Rozsival for salary cap relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topnotch View Post
Oduya will not be traded unless the cap is lower still, and trading Rozsival isn't enough. Even under those circumstances I would expect Bowman to get more creative with the team.

Trading a top-4 Dman for cap purposes, one who only makes 3.375 million, is the act of a losing franchise.
The next most likely candidate to be traded (or worst case scenario waived) at the 2014 NHL Draft will be Bryan Bickell for additional salary cap relief.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...bickebr01.html

SLarmer28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 01:00 AM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLarmer28 View Post
This is a minor inconvenience with HUGE potential benefits to the Hawks.

People have been pontificating about how Toews and Kane are getting 10+ million due to the huge upswing in the cap. This revision down will make those contracts projections wayyy too high.

Meanwhile the Canadian $ recovers we could have them at "bargain" prices. Saad too.

Taze em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 01:10 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLarmer28 View Post

Quote:
PS — Only two of the seven Canadian teams (Montreal and Toronto) appear likely to make the playoffs, if that’s relevant here.

PPS — And even if it’s not, wow, only two?

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 07:16 AM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taze em View Post
This is a minor inconvenience with HUGE potential benefits to the Hawks.

People have been pontificating about how Toews and Kane are getting 10+ million due to the huge upswing in the cap. This revision down will make those contracts projections wayyy too high.

Meanwhile the Canadian $ recovers we could have them at "bargain" prices. Saad too.
Absolutely what I was thinking.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Easton Modano Curve

I always thought Leddy was a MUCH BETTER skater than Clendening. Not saying that Clendening is lacking in this department but Leddy's skating is elite. Honestly, Leddy's ability to skate may have gotten him to the NHL too quick because there are other components to his game he needs to work on.

Either way, I think Leddy has much higher upside in the Hawks system. His ability skate it out of the zone on the breakout is one of the little things that has always set Chicago's mobile defense core apart from the rest of the league. It adds defenseman to the rush but most of the the time the threat opens up passing lanes which gets the transition game going. PUCK POSSESSION, PUCK POSSESSION, PUCK POSSESSION.

This is not to hate on Clendening. I think he has a promising NHL career ahead of him. I just think Nick Leddy was always the superior prospect, especially for the Blackhawks.

Easton Modano Curve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjacks View Post
Because we spent a 2nd is why I don't like it. On a project. That is a bit of an overpayment when proven NHL players are getting 2nds in trades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Only 20% of 2nd round picks play 200 games in the NHL. This isn't a NFL 2nd round pick.

Rundblad has all the talent. Bowman really wanted him...

and those proven NHL players wouldn't fit within our cap or would never be worth that pick.

Not to mention that in the end we traded Pirri, who has no future with our team and asked for a trade, for Rundblad with the downgrade of about 10 spots in the 2nd/3rd round. We lost nothing here.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Central PA Hawk Fan

I always love reading this board. "Brutal" and "horrid" are thrown around so casually, its utterly hilarious, there is never any middle ground.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Clendening used as a trade chip, but I could also see him be allowed to ripen in the AHL. Its win-win, I like the fact that we don't have to rush guys up to the NHL anymore, they have to force their way onto the club. That's the way it should be.

Central PA Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote