HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Couturier

Old
03-04-2014, 05:42 PM
HalfPastDan
Registered Schmoozer

vCash: 50
Sean Couturier

Hey Flyers fans, friendly request here - what makes Couts so special? I haven't been able to see him play more than a handful of times. I remember from his draft year he was projected #1 and then fell off...

Here's what I hear: Elite defensively at a young age. Big frame - supposedly untapped offensive potential.

I really don't know any more! What makes him untradeable? Not saying he isn't, I legit just want to know more.

Does he often display signs of breaking out offensively? Is he not put in a position to put up big numbers? How's his skating? Compete level? Grit?

Any responses are appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

HalfPastDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 500
Occasionally you see raw skill from Coots, which is promising. He's only 21 and tasked to play the hardest minutes on the team against the oppositions best talent and he mostly succeeds. He plays the PK, he's incredibly intelligent on the ice. His FO ability is improving by the game.

In a couple of years he could be more of the more complete players in the NHL.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

vCash: 683
The thing I believe that marks him out is how intuitively he knows the game.

He has a very special hockey IQ.

As an 18 year old he was instantly our best defensive forward, and has been for the last three years, facing oppositions top lines every night. (he has arguably had top 10 hardest minutes amongst NHL centres this year and last) He is also probably the best PKer I have ever seen in a Flyers uniform... including Richards.

He has not really been in a role to succeed offensively, 1st year was on the 4th line, 2nd and this has had insanely hard minutes, and while Matt Read is great his other winger has invariably been either frustrating or offensively impotent.

If he hit 45 this year it would be about as much as I personally could hope for with the minutes he plays.

In regards to offensive upside I can see him being a 60-70 point player (~25 goals-40ish assists) he has a very hard shot, and makes some beautiful passes. I think at worst now he should be a 50-60 point guy with elite D.

He is not too physical (he does not go to hit everything or anything) mainly as he will never take himself out of position to make a hit... though when he hits he can absolutely destroy people. But he is not scared of physical play, and is always dragging guys out of scrums after whistles, and is very strong on the boards.

He competes 100% each and every shift.

He also has an innate calmness about him that riles the opposition... Malkin especially.

The only real minus in his skillset is his acceleration, he is quite quick at top speed, but takes time getting there.

He also blew away the Q like no-one since Crosby offensively. (though ofc nowhere near Crosbys junior production.)

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 06:00 PM
The Couturier Effect

Like you said, he's elite defensively. He keeps showing signs of improvement in his offensive game, like using his body to shield the puck along the boards. His passing seems to have improved as well. And as Appleyard said, great hockey IQ.

In a nutshell, he's 21 with loads of potential at both ends of the ice.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Jtown

He is the best penalty killer in league. I think he is a top 5 defensive foward, and he is starting to really develop a dominate possession game.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox Head View Post
Hey Flyers fans, friendly request here - what makes Couts so special? I haven't been able to see him play more than a handful of times. I remember from his draft year he was projected #1 and then fell off...
He had mono in his draft year.

Quote:
Here's what I hear: Elite defensively at a young age. Big frame - supposedly untapped offensive potential.
Plays the toughest minutes every night and excels. At his age, this is pretty much unheard of. Advanced stats suggest he is close to the best defensive forward in the NHL and the best penalty killer.

Quote:
Does he often display signs of breaking out offensively? Is he not put in a position to put up big numbers? How's his skating? Compete level? Grit?
When Lavvy was coach he was shackled offensively. He started a disproportionate amount of the time with d-zone faceoffs and still moved the puck forward. Lavvy also used guys like Talbot, Wellwood, Rinaldo, Knuble, etc as his linemate. Now he has been given Read as a steady linemate, which is a huge upgrade.

Given the quality of competition and lack of offensively gifted linemates, his point totals have actually been fine. If you look around the league, you will find almost no one who performs that much better offensively when put in similar circumstances.

His offense shows glimpses of being really good. He is a beast along the boards battling for pucks and a knack for having great vision.

He will never be asked to be the guy offensively. We have Claude *** Giroux. But he is a perfect #2C and easily the 2nd most important player on the team. The guy is progressing wonderfully. All Flyers fans on HF are thrilled with him.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Random Forest
aka hockeyfreak7

Plays the hardest minutes on the team (arguably the hardest in the league). Is extremely effective moving the puck from our zone to the opposition's. Has raw offensive talent that has him at .5 PPG.

Basically if he can put up 40-45 points playing under his current conditions, we are very confident he could be a 55-60 point guy if he's given more offensive opportunity.

Think about what makes guys like Bergeron so valuable. That's why we want to hold on to Couturier.

Random Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 06:12 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Plus tools in every aspect of the game except for skating, which is average.

Best attribute is hockey IQ. To really get an idea of how good his is, you honestly have to watch him.

Sometimes I just focus on him for a shift here and there. He is almost always in the right spot and is so good at reading plays. He instinctively shifts to a passing lane, to a man, etc. That stuff doesn't show up on the stat sheet, but it's what makes him so good defensively.

I think he will be a Patrice Bergeron type player (little less offense). Don't usually like comparisons but I think it's a great one. Both have extremely high hockey IQ which is the main reason why they are both good defensively. Both aren't really physical players in the sense that they go around throwing huge hits, but Couturier is really strong along the boards.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 06:26 PM
sharpeye97

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Plays the hardest minutes on the team (arguably the hardest in the league). Is extremely effective moving the puck from our zone to the opposition's. Has raw offensive talent that has him at .5 PPG.

Basically if he can put up 40-45 points playing under his current conditions, we are very confident he could be a 55-60 point guy if he's given more offensive opportunity.

Think about what makes guys like Bergeron so valuable. That's why we want to hold on to Couturier.
He's projected to go over 40 points this season. Not bad for a 21 y/o.

sharpeye97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 06:45 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Plus tools in every aspect of the game except for skating, which is average.

Best attribute is hockey IQ. To really get an idea of how good his is, you honestly have to watch him.

Sometimes I just focus on him for a shift here and there. He is almost always in the right spot and is so good at reading plays. He instinctively shifts to a passing lane, to a man, etc. That stuff doesn't show up on the stat sheet, but it's what makes him so good defensively.

I think he will be a Patrice Bergeron type player (little less offense). Don't usually like comparisons but I think it's a great one. Both have extremely high hockey IQ which is the main reason why they are both good defensively. Both aren't really physical players in the sense that they go around throwing huge hits, but Couturier is really strong along the boards.
Great post...totally read my mind. The Bergeron comparison is pretty good but I compare Couts to a young Denis Savard. Couts offense needs to pick up but his defensive play is great

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 07:14 PM
SgtJoseph*

I think one thing that gets over looked about Coots is that he is a VERY tough and resilient kid.........He has taken some really nasty hits and seems to just shake it off and continue his fine shut down style of play.......He is a KEEPER in my view and i see him getting better and better as he matures physically etc.

SgtJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 07:15 PM
achdumeingute

couturier, like most of the flyer forwards is also a better setup guy than finisher. good vision and hands. I'd say most of us feel that if he can fill out his 6'4" frame he's going to be a LOAD on the forcheck.

His one big knock is that he's not fast.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 07:16 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I think one thing that gets over looked about Coots is that he is a VERY tough and resilient kid.........He has taken some really nasty hits and seems to just shake it off and continue his fine shut down style of play.......He is a KEEPER in my view and i see him getting better and better as he matures physically etc.
Same goes for B.Schenn as well, how many dirty hits does one man take and he always gets up

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 07:19 PM
SgtJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Same goes for B.Schenn as well, how many dirty hits does one man take and he always gets up
Excellent point !

SgtJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 07:25 PM
HalfPastDan
Registered Schmoozer

Cool. Appreciate all the replies! He sounds like a keeper!

Definitely understand how valuable that calm defensive presence in a young player can be. I think poise is a good word? When nothing rattles a young player, it makes sense to have big hopes! It's why we love Tanev over here in Vancouver - obviously different position, older, not nearly as valuable - not trying to compare value! Just saying, I understand the sentiment!

Hope that offense keeps developing too!

HalfPastDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 07:57 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
They're all his fault though

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Quote:
Ha, when he actually takes hits! His awareness is good enough that he doesn't seem to get decked often.

03-04-2014, 08:38 PM
BringBackStevens

Hockey IQ

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 08:44 PM
RoDu

epic beard, and epic level troll on the ice

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Don't wanna be too redundant, but Coots is also becoming a better puck possession player. This year he's using his bigger frame to protect the puck effectively, something he hadn't done before.

Everything else said about him is true, no point in repeating the same qualities he offers to the Flyers. Although is defensive play as a center is astounding, as noted multiple times.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 11:32 AM
BWAVgal
Trust the Process

He always frustrates the hell out of Malkin which I love:

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Hiesenberg

Wasn't there another time where Couts was almost laughing at him and then almost scored a goal?

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 01:09 AM
StandingCow

Not much more to say that hasn't been said... even the epic beard was mentioned.

The kids is already amazing defensively, as soon as he blooms offensively he has the potential to become one of the best two way players in the NHL.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 01:51 PM
SAINDON

Quote:

I really don't know any more! What makes him untradeable? Not saying he isn't, I legit just want to know more.

Any responses are appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
If this guy was watching today's game against Pitt, all his questions would be answered.

SAINDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 01:55 PM
ILoveStephanieBrown

The guy is going to be a star. Up there with the best 2 way players in the game.

ILoveStephanieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote