HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Draft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2014, 12:39 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
He'll sign him after the draft and before free agency opens. I think it was pretty obvious he would do that when that condition was made. I think we'd up losing a 2nd in 2016 or something.

Old
04-30-2014, 01:36 PM
SweetyV

vCash: 500
I don't think it sounds like he wants to or expects to sign Miller. Saying Allen will be able to earn the role as number one if he's up against a goalie making 6-7 million is absurd.

Old
04-30-2014, 01:51 PM
tfriede2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetyV View Post
I don't think it sounds like he wants to or expects to sign Miller. Saying Allen will be able to earn the role as number one if he's up against a goalie making 6-7 million is absurd.
Last year at this time, Armstrong was saying that Allen would be competing for NHL minutes this year...I don't necessarily trust what Armstrong says during these out-interviews.

Old
04-30-2014, 04:21 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Allen will absolutely be on the team next year. How much he plays is up for debate, but there's absolutely zero doubt in my mind he's in St. Louis. He's on a one way deal, and he just destroyed the AHL. We'd be stupid to keep him down there. Now is the time to start the processing of handing him the keys to starting goalie spot.

Old
04-30-2014, 04:32 PM
tfriede2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
Allen will absolutely be on the team next year. How much he plays is up for debate, but there's absolutely zero doubt in my mind he's in St. Louis. He's on a one way deal, and he just destroyed the AHL. We'd be stupid to keep him down there. Now is the time to start the processing of handing him the keys to starting goalie spot.
Oh yeah, nobody is arguing that. SweetyV is saying that he doesn't think Armstrong wants to re-sign Miller because Armstrong indicated that whomever is with Allen will be competing for starts (and thus, we wouldn't sign Miller if he is just going to compete with Allen for the #1 spot). My argument is that I do think Armstrong is thinking about re-signing Miller, and that we can't really take Armstrong at his word because last year he stated that Allen would be competing for NHL minutes this past season...he didn't.

Old
04-30-2014, 04:33 PM
TimtheDJ84*

I wouldn't mind going for Scherbak....

Old
04-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriede2 View Post
Oh yeah, nobody is arguing that. SweetyV is saying that he doesn't think Armstrong wants to re-sign Miller because Armstrong indicated that whomever is with Allen will be competing for starts (and thus, we wouldn't sign Miller if he is just going to compete with Allen for the #1 spot). My argument is that I do think Armstrong is thinking about re-signing Miller, and that we can't really take Armstrong at his word because last year he stated that Allen would be competing for NHL minutes this past season...he didn't.
There's no doubt in my mind that he's trying to re-sign Miller. Quite frankly, if Miller wants to be here I don't see Armstrong letting him walk. The two big questions for me are: what kind of term and price, and when do we sign him? If we sign him after the draft on something like a two year deal worth under 5 million per, I'm ok with that. If Armstrong goes full idiot and signs him to a 4 or 5 year deal for 6 million per I will be pissed.

Old
05-01-2014, 07:03 AM
SweetyV

I don't think Miller will sign for under 5.

Old
05-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Last year at this time, Armstrong was saying that Allen would be competing for NHL minutes this year...I don't necessarily trust what Armstrong says during these out-interviews.
Last year at this time I think most expected Armstrong to trade for a goalie after Halak had his spat with Hitchcock in LA.

Most figured Halak was done here.

There is zero doubt in my mind that the Miller situation played out exactly like the Bouwmeester situation. Army wanted him at the draft the year before but didn't like the price. So he waited and waited til the deadline hoping the price would fall one day. It did for Bo but not for Miller.

Right now I 100% expect Miller to be somewhere else next year. It's clear that Army thinks very highly of Allen and isn't going to block him for 4-5 years.

Old
05-01-2014, 10:49 AM
tfriede2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
Last year at this time I think most expected Armstrong to trade for a goalie after Halak had his spat with Hitchcock in LA.

Most figured Halak was done here.

There is zero doubt in my mind that the Miller situation played out exactly like the Bouwmeester situation. Army wanted him at the draft the year before but didn't like the price. So he waited and waited til the deadline hoping the price would fall one day. It did for Bo but not for Miller.

Right now I 100% expect Miller to be somewhere else next year. It's clear that Army thinks very highly of Allen and isn't going to block him for 4-5 years.
Let's hope so! Armstrong isn't instilling much confidence in me lately, though. One thing I fear with GM's is their short-term outlook (1-3 years), and thus they mortgage the future (draft picks, prospects) in order to "win now"...except more times than not, the team doesn't win, and there isn't anything to show for the short-term outlook moves. We're still set up for at least the next five years to be very competitive, but five years after that is looking murky, at best, right now (which can change very quickly with good drafting).

Old
05-04-2014, 05:06 AM
tfriede2

Just as an FYI, as I learned this today, the results of the first round doesn't mean anything for draft selection. NJD are automatically selecting 30th, the Stanley Cup winner selects 29th, loser selects 28th, other two Conference finalists select 27th and 26th, then the division winners select, then it goes by points.

Boston, Anaheim, Colorado, and Pittsburgh automatically select after us since they finished ahead of us in the regular season standings (Pittsburgh didn't, but they are a division winner), so we start out selecting 25th (NJD have 30th pick). One of Chicago/Minnesota will go to the Conference finals, we're bumped to 24th. For drafting purposes, we should hope that LA wins against Anaheim, because they would draft after us as well (as a Conference finalist), so we would be bumped to 23rd. We should hope that Montreal beats Boston, because that would result in another bump to 22nd. If NYR beats Pittsburgh, that's another bump to 21st. The worst we can draft is 24th, best is 21st. For draft nerds (that's me), let's hope for a NYR win, LA win, and Montreal win (and then we'll watch Armstrong sign Miller to a deal right before we pick, thus making this all moot, haha).

Old
05-04-2014, 09:33 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Hopefully they don't go for Demko. Grab a few wildcard goalies in the later rounds, goalies are the most unpredictable as prospects.
Completely agree. I think the team should draft one or two goalies every draft, starting no earlier than the third round.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:31 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Just as an FYI, as I learned this today, the results of the first round doesn't mean anything for draft selection. NJD are automatically selecting 30th, the Stanley Cup winner selects 29th, loser selects 28th, other two Conference finalists select 27th and 26th, then the division winners select, then it goes by points.

Boston, Anaheim, Colorado, and Pittsburgh automatically select after us since they finished ahead of us in the regular season standings (Pittsburgh didn't, but they are a division winner), so we start out selecting 25th (NJD have 30th pick). One of Chicago/Minnesota will go to the Conference finals, we're bumped to 24th. For drafting purposes, we should hope that LA wins against Anaheim, because they would draft after us as well (as a Conference finalist), so we would be bumped to 23rd. We should hope that Montreal beats Boston, because that would result in another bump to 22nd. If NYR beats Pittsburgh, that's another bump to 21st. The worst we can draft is 24th, best is 21st. For draft nerds (that's me), let's hope for a NYR win, LA win, and Montreal win (and then we'll watch Armstrong sign Miller to a deal right before we pick, thus making this all moot, haha).
I am still a little bitter they gave the Devil's their 1st back. The NHL should stick to their guns on punishments.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:42 PM
Christmas Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I am still a little bitter they gave the Devil's their 1st back. The NHL should stick to their guns on punishments.
Eh, thats quite a drop down in the draft, I'm fine with that.

05-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Still giving them a free first round pick regardless of the position.

Old
05-04-2014, 07:43 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheDJ84 View Post
I wouldn't mind going for Scherbak....
I know it's not the same, but over in the Habs Board Mock Draft, we are just finishing up the 1st round (we do all 7 rounds) and I'm representing the Blues.

I made your wish come true.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1614021

Old
05-04-2014, 07:56 PM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Man Rock Band View Post
I know it's not the same, but over in the Habs Board Mock Draft, we are just finishing up the 1st round (we do all 7 rounds) and I'm representing the Blues.

I made your wish come true.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1614021
If you really want our dreams to be complete, go after Schmaltz next

Old
05-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
It's still buckling instead of sticking to your guns. That was as blatant a circumvention of the cap as we've seen. I realize other people have done it, but not to that extent. Now the precedent has been set. Teams will be able to use this to potentially get out of future punishments.

Old
05-05-2014, 01:11 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnatic27 View Post
If you really want our dreams to be complete, go after Schmaltz next
He was literally picked right before my next pick.

I went with Brett Pollock.

Big game performer who has come on strong since being given a chance. Also he's a center.

Old
05-05-2014, 07:41 AM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Man Rock Band View Post
He was literally picked right before my next pick.

I went with Brett Pollock.

Big game performer who has come on strong since being given a chance. Also he's a center.
I'm surprised he even lasted that long, and I'm liking this whole "center drafting" idea.

Old
05-05-2014, 08:27 AM
rrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
It's still buckling instead of sticking to your guns. That was as blatant a circumvention of the cap as we've seen. I realize other people have done it, but not to that extent. Now the precedent has been set. Teams will be able to use this to potentially get out of future punishments.
I thought the punishment was too extreme. Kovy's contract was just an extension of the logic of several other contracts that had been given out. The league fairly arbitrarily decided to draw a line on this one when it could have acted earlier on the others if it was going to act, or just let it ride until the new CBA sorted it out.

The fact is most of these mega deals have been disasters for the parties involved so they are their own punishment anyway. Hossa's might be the only one that isn't a disaster.

Old
05-05-2014, 11:18 AM
STLBLUES44
LehteraschwenkSHoW

Any chance we land Kasper Kapanen?

Old
05-05-2014, 11:25 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
Really doubt it, he's a top 10 pick.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:46 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Took Fabbri at #20 in the moderator mock draft. Couldn't pass on him when he fell to me, even with his size. I think he's going to be a heck of a player in this league, and he fits the vision I have for this team.

Old
05-06-2014, 12:12 PM
tfriede2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Took Fabbri at #20 in the moderator mock draft. Couldn't pass on him when he fell to me, even with his size. I think he's going to be a heck of a player in this league, and he fits the vision I have for this team.
Did each moderator have a team they were picking for? At worst, the Blues will pick 24th, at best 21st (I believe).

Fabbri is a great pick, though. If he's somehow still there when the Blues pick, that would be great. I'm hoping for him, Scherbak, Larkin, or Schmaltz with our 1st rounder.

Closed Thread