HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jacob Markstrom

Old
03-04-2014, 11:50 PM
bossram

vCash: 500
He's got talent. I think Melanson can turn him into a player.

And we still have Eriksson behind too.

bossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 11:53 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I am STUNNED that we got Markstrom. He had top 5 goalie in the league type ceiling IMO.
he was but after the season he is having...

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 12:01 AM
Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
Doesnt really matter all that much to me, if anything the season he's having is a huge blessing for us because it lowered his trade value.

Teams always write off goalies way too early and dont understand that it longer for tenders to develop.

Eddie Lack, Ben Bishop, Tim Thomas, Jonathan Quick, Cory Schneider, Corey Crawford and Antti Niemi are all goalies who didnt hit their stride until at least the age of 25. Markstrom is still a great prospect.

Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 12:19 AM
bigfatfist

I have no idea how people can write off Markstrom. Sure he's had some ups and downs post-injury, but he's young and just so freakishly talented. Playing behind a semi-competent team a couple years ago, he ripped through the division.

Being in Ottawa, we don't follow the Canucks closely, but I can honestly say there were plenty of stunned faces around the office when we heard Markstrom was going the other way! Love the guy, think this was a great haul for VAN. Big win, IMO.

bigfatfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 12:19 AM
VanillaCoke

His talent isn't an issue, and he's 6'6". I'm pretty happy with having him in the franchise!

VanillaCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 02:18 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
I'm confident the Canucks can turn him around. Canucks were able to buy low, and I think Florida will highly regret moving him.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 02:29 AM
TheWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
I'm confident the Canucks can turn him around. Canucks were able to buy low, and I think Florida will highly regret moving him.
I don't think Markstrom would ever have seen his potential in FLA. Here, with Melanson and a strong defense, he might.

I think FLA will still feel like they won for getting Luongo.

In my eyes, this is a win-win trade, and a feel-good story for sending Luongo home.

Very happy in every regard with this trade. Happy to have had Lou for this time, happy he's moved on. Happy he's happy. Happy with the return.

TheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 02:38 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Markstrom will be fine for the Canucks. We have a ton of two way players to cover his mistakes, allowing him plenty of leeway to grow into a solid goalie.

Or better yet, an excellent goalie, so we can flip him back to Florida for an A level prospect or lottery pick when Luongo decides to retire.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 02:40 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossram View Post
He's got talent. I think Melanson can turn him into a player.

And we still have Eriksson behind too.
Melanson has for sure been consulted and apperently he must have given his approval.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 02:41 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Which is the only reason we were able to get him.

03-05-2014, 02:44 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Doubt it, Luongo is a good deal for them.

I'm happy to have Markstrom though. Florida wants to try to move up. Vancouver needs to rebuild.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 02:45 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Markstrom will be fine for the Canucks. We have a ton of two way players to cover his mistakes, allowing him plenty of leeway to grow into a solid goalie.

Or better yet, an excellent goalie, so we can flip him back to Florida for an A level prospect or lottery pick when Luongo decides to retire.
Or keep him.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 02:47 AM
canuck4life16

well I assume he will get a few games along the way

canuck4life16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 06:50 AM
deckercky

Quote:
Florida got the best player in the deal, and with the retained salary and raising cap, Luongo is going to be under market price for most of the contract.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Sharpshooter1

Quote:
How was Luongo doing for the Islanders before he was traded?

Sometimes good prospects don't do so well in organizations that don't develop them well.

Markstrom has the right kind of support in Vancouver to develop properly.

Sharpshooter1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Boom Boom Bear

HF Scouting Report says

Quote:
Talent Analysis

Markstrom is a tall, fluid goaltender with tremendous technique and composure who stays relaxed and cool under pressure. Markstrom plays a butterfly style with a good glove and has fine positioning and agility in net. His long legs can sometimes pose a problem by creating gaps as he drops to the butterfly, but experience will help him improve in that area. Markstrom rebounded last season from past knee injuries to prove his durability.

Future

Markstrom has the tools and the talent—and most importantly the focus and mental strength—to become a cornerstone netminder in the NHL.
+ well-trained in perhaps the best goaltender training system in the world
+ solid history as a top goalie in Sweden
+ most projections have him as a future #1 NHL goalie
+ reunited with former teammate Lack
+ being mentored by Melanson, one of the best goalie coaches
+ only $1.2 cap hit the next two years

Seriously, I see ZERO downside to this move. Markstrom will be a number one goalie, maybe as soon as next year. Matthias, the salary dump, + the end of endless Luongo drama are just the cherries on top here.

I kind of look forward to a fierce, friendly rivalry between buddies Markstrom & Lack in pushing for the starter job.

I think the Canucks are set in goal now for a long time. This is pretty damned exciting.

Boom Boom Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter1 View Post
How was Luongo doing for the Islanders before he was traded?

Sometimes good prospects don't do so well in organizations that don't develop them well.

Markstrom has the right kind of support in Vancouver to develop properly.
I fully believe that Markström will become an elite goalie with melanson coaching him. He didn't have a goalie coach in Florida's system. They'll regret trading him

Canadian Gold X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 03:52 PM
luongo321

I noticed that people mentioned stuff about a previous knee injury with Markstrom. Does anyone know if it is still affecting him at all? Was it serious?

I'm really happy with this trade. Lack's great play really made this trade much easier for Gillis and co. to make.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 03:53 PM
dwarf

vCash: 250
I am excited about Markstrom's potential.

I am not sure if he is ready to be playing for the Canucks at this time though.

I really hope the Canucks sign Miller as a UFA, and let Lack and Markstrom compete for the back up role.

dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 04:05 PM
thepoeticgoblin

I was wondering where I could grab ahold of a Marky jersey? Scrolled through your shop and the only option I was given was D. Sedin or a blank back. Is it because I'm a euro or is that the custom from the NHL-store, haha?

Thankful for any help.

thepoeticgoblin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 04:08 PM
arttk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarf View Post
I am excited about Markstrom's potential.

I am not sure if he is ready to be playing for the Canucks at this time though.

I really hope the Canucks sign Miller as a UFA, and let Lack and Markstrom compete for the back up role.
Not sure how we are going to develop this guy. He is going to be the backup for the rest of the season and I suppose Rollie is going to be working with him full time for the rest of the season but not sure how that will work out if he is not playing regularly.

arttk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 04:21 PM
dwarf

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by arttk View Post
Not sure how we are going to develop this guy. He is going to be the backup for the rest of the season and I suppose Rollie is going to be working with him full time for the rest of the season but not sure how that will work out if he is not playing regularly.

Well for the first time in our history, we actually own our own farm team.

Utica needs goalies.

If the Canucks decide to go with Lack and Markstrom next year, it could be a lot of win.

Markstrom will get the chance to develop as will Lack, and we could end up with a decent pick ie: Mcdavid.

Or we could sign a UFA tender in July, perhaps Miller, and try for a playoff run. Then see where we are, at the deadline and make decisions from there.

dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 04:31 PM
arttk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarf View Post
Well for the first time in our history, we actually own our own farm team.

Utica needs goalies.

If the Canucks decide to go with Lack and Markstrom next year, it could be a lot of win.

Markstrom will get the chance to develop as will Lack, and we could end up with a decent pick ie: Mcdavid.

Or we could sign a UFA tender in July, perhaps Miller, and try for a playoff run. Then see where we are, at the deadline and make decisions from there.
I don't see them calling up Ericsson to be a backup, he is developing well down there and he is definitely not ready for a NHL backup job.

Markstrom is going to be the backup for the next 18 games and he might get 1 or 2 games? Just a little bit worried if that little ice time will not help his development but then it will probably take a couple of weeks for Rollie to help correct his technique.

arttk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoeticgoblin View Post
I was wondering where I could grab ahold of a Marky jersey? Scrolled through your shop and the only option I was given was D. Sedin or a blank back. Is it because I'm a euro or is that the custom from the NHL-store, haha?

Thankful for any help.
I can only guess it's probably still too early for them to update things there - after all, he was only dealt to the Canucks not that long ago.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 04:34 PM
Sharpshooter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by arttk View Post
You seemed to have answered your own pondering.

It's only 18 games left, so how would that help Markstrom develop any more playing infront of Lack rather than playing behind Lack?

Perhaps the development will come moreso in the off-season where he can spend that, without any pressure, to develop his positioning, rebound control, with a full time assist by Melanson. Also, getting his body in better shape by the Canucks organization would also assist his development.

Perhaps he even needs one full year in the AHL next season as well.

All those things will help his development, in my opinion. For now, let him have a few games, while the team focuses moreso on continuiing to develop Lack as an NHL starter.

If they both develop, then perhaps we'll have a solid tandem in a season or two that the team can fully rely on like they had with Lui/Schneids for a few years. That would be a good position for the team to find themselves in once again.

Sharpshooter1 is online now   Reply With Quote