HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul MacLean

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2014, 11:10 AM
RedSeven*

vCash: 500
The players were fed up with the way the PP was being run and the continuous line juggling. I also heard that some our D was losing its mind because they were playing hard, better than Cowen and outworking him in practice and then they still wouldn't play.

Open your eyes people. Mac is a terrible coach.
Great guy.
Great person.
You want to work hard for a guy you like.

BUT

PP management
Constant Line juggling
His time out management
Never allowing his players to gel
His problems with the Ref's ever since he called them out
"Best players play" and then playing cowen until he was basically forced to sit him
How he handled the goaltending early on in the season
His love for Bobby Butler.

The guy has cost us a ton of points this year.
to continuously get out coached is bad enough but when you are hindering on a nightly basis, It's brutal.

Old
03-05-2014, 11:11 AM
senatorsburly

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent2421 View Post
He's been an absolute clown this year. I don't care about the past, but in the present he's clearly hit his head on a rock.

- Terrible line management
- Changing lines every game - multiple times
- Benching Ryan
- Condra on the 2nd line
- Putting out Conacher in the last 30 seconds
- Losing the lockerroom, seemingly (Ryan's comment , even though he was frustrated says a lot. If he feels that way, others might feel that way

- His goalie decisions throughout the year when one had the hot hand

He's been a complete buffoon this year. Huge supporter in the past but I can't stand him at all this season.
What did Ryan say?

Old
03-05-2014, 11:33 AM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSeven View Post
The players were fed up with the way the PP was being run and the continuous line juggling. I also heard that some our D was losing its mind because they were playing hard, better than Cowen and outworking him in practice and then they still wouldn't play.

Open your eyes people. Mac is a terrible coach.
Great guy.
Great person.
You want to work hard for a guy you like.

BUT

PP management
Constant Line juggling
His time out management
Never allowing his players to gel
His problems with the Ref's ever since he called them out
"Best players play" and then playing cowen until he was basically forced to sit him
How he handled the goaltending early on in the season
His love for Bobby Butler.

The guy has cost us a ton of points this year.
to continuously get out coached is bad enough but when you are hindering on a nightly basis, It's brutal.
Most of your points are the same point just repeated in different ways, the line juggling.

Cameron is the PP coach.

And Cowen playing so much was most likely at least partially a management decision after he was signed to a big contract.

He's bitten his tongue over the refs but Clouston had the same problem and Bryan Murray who may be the real target as he has never been too gentle with the refs.
Sens never got the calls even with Jacques Martin who would not back talk the refs (unlike Pat Quinn)and would not let the team retaliate .It may be just part of being a small market team.

Old
03-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Caje

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post

He's bitten his tongue over the refs but Clouston had the same problem and Bryan Murray who may be the real target as he has never been too gentle with the refs.
Sens never got the calls even with Jacques Martin who would not back talk the refs (unlike Pat Quinn)and would not let the team retaliate .It may be just part of being a small market team.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKCUvkxi_6M

Old
03-05-2014, 12:55 PM
agent2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by senatorsburly View Post
What did Ryan say?
An interviewer asked him how he felt to be back on the line with Turris, and he said something to the extent of "I don't care ... just stop changing me every 10 minutes"

He was very frusterated, clearly pissed, and that was a jab at Paul Maclean. I don't think Ryan's happy at all with this team at the moment, really don't see any reason he will stay if he's continued to play on the 3rd line and has less minutes than people liek Greening, Condra, etc , or whatever that list was last game.

At this point we should do everything possible to want him to stay and our coach is driving him right out of Ottawa it seems like. I wouldn't blame him at all if he decides not to sign with the Sens and really don't expect him to with the circus our team has become

Old
03-05-2014, 01:43 PM
senatorsburly

Yeah im getting the vibe Maclean has started to lose the room he can't take a time out to save his life, andchooses the dumbest lines.

Old
03-05-2014, 02:28 PM
Push540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
coaching change is needed. someone who knows a good coach from his ahole needs to hire them though. this team needs a new gm and a new coaching staff. then you can start building a winning team. till then, spin the wheels.
"Build a winning team" ??? With what money?

Old
03-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Push540

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFinishedSpezza View Post
He's stubborn. Why does he keep putting Condra on the top two lines?
Ever since he came to Ottawa, he said "I won't bench/ sidetrack players who are in slumps". Fans fell in love with that in the first 2 years, now that we are playing poorly, people jump on his strategy. It worked in year 1 when we were garbage ans it's worked several times over the first 2 years.

Old
03-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Push540

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Quality of coaching has declined so much this year
The players aren't playing and the coach is sticking to his game plan. What else is he to do?

Old
03-05-2014, 03:51 PM
EssendonBombers
classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push540 View Post
Ever since he came to Ottawa, he said "I won't bench/ sidetrack players who are in slumps". Fans fell in love with that in the first 2 years, now that we are playing poorly, people jump on his strategy. It worked in year 1 when we were garbage ans it's worked several times over the first 2 years.
I don't recall him saying that. His main mantra since he got here (along with "get better every day") was "the best players play", which directly contradicts what you're saying.

Old
03-05-2014, 04:15 PM
RedSeven*

Mac is a moron. It's the sad truth. We get outcoached on a nightly basis.

But some fans have blinders for the guy because he is a nice guy. He is dumb as you know what though.

Old
03-05-2014, 04:19 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSeven View Post
Mac is a moron. It's the sad truth. We get outcoached on a nightly basis.

But some fans have blinders for the guy because he is a nice guy. He is dumb as you know what though.
you...?

Old
03-05-2014, 06:11 PM
mrquincy27

If we lose tonight, this thread will explode

Old
03-05-2014, 06:24 PM
John Holmes*

Quote:
-Condra should never see top 6 time.
-Phillips should never be on the #1 PP unit.
-Greening-Smith-Neil is a terrible line and should never be on the ice when we need a goal...yet they always are.
-Cowen should be scratched and never on the #1 pairing with EK. He's not good enough.
Bingo callups sit in favor of Kassian or play on the same line as Kassian.
-Kassian should be in the lineup never.

Face the truth man. MacLean is not some superhuman, in fact, I think you could say he's about as bright as a rock.

He made a few funnies at a couple of pressers, and he rode a hot goalie to some hardware.

His decision making has surely cost us points this year.

Old
03-05-2014, 06:33 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
An interviewer asked him how he felt to be back on the line with Turris, and he said something to the extent of "I don't care ... just stop changing me every 10 minutes"
He was very frusterated, clearly pissed, and that was a jab at Paul Maclean. I don't think Ryan's happy at all with this team at the moment, really don't see any reason he will stay if he's continued to play on the 3rd line and has less minutes than people liek Greening, Condra, etc , or whatever that list was last game.

At this point we should do everything possible to want him to stay and our coach is driving him right out of Ottawa it seems like. I wouldn't blame him at all if he decides not to sign with the Sens and really don't expect him to with the circus our team has become
Ryan also quickly said " That didn't come out right" He wasn't frustrated or pissed, he smiled and said he was used to it in Anahiem.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 03-05-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old
03-05-2014, 06:37 PM
Icelevel
Never Go Full Eugene

Quote:
"Build a winning team" ??? With what money?
with the money that melnyk(or the new owner) will have to, and assuming he will, spend when the time is most right.

Old
03-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
-Condra should never see top 6 time.
-Phillips should never be on the #1 PP unit.
-Greening-Smith-Neil is a terrible line and should never be on the ice when we need a goal...yet they always are.
-Cowen should be scratched and never on the #1 pairing with EK. He's not good enough.
Bingo callups sit in favor of Kassian or play on the same line as Kassian.
-Kassian should be in the lineup never.

Face the truth man. MacLean is not some superhuman, in fact, I think you could say he's about as bright as a rock.

He made a few funnies at a couple of pressers, and he rode a hot goalie to some hardware.

His decision making has surely cost us points this year.

1 - I agree, but in trying to find three producing line it was Condra or Neil, I'd take Condra.

2 - Agree.

3. IMO Neil is the problem on that line, not sure if you notice a few shifts last night with Greening - Smith - Michalek, they actually controlled the puck in the O-Zone. Neil is a grinder and for the most part kills any offence.

4. Disagree. It was a good decision to have Cowen with Karlsson for the most part. Putting Cowen with Gryba was a poor decision IMO. The team has to play the youth, they won't get better sitting, and without them the future will be bleak.

5. I have no problem playing Kassian over a struggling Pageau, specially if the opponent may take liberties. I do agree sitting a kid for any length of time is counter-productive.

My comments on other common complaints.
If the players played as they are paid to do, the coach wouldn't be constantly changing the make up of lines to try and get them going.

My complaints. MacLean favors veterans over the youth and this has not had a significant impact on the team's overall results. Rather lose with the kids and at least let them gain experience.

Secondly, I think he is too easy on the players, instead of giving them time off after they don't show up (Wings game) he needs to send a message it is unacceptable. The players rewarded his kindness by doing the same thing two games later.

Old
03-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Benjamin
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
with the money that melnyk(or the new owner) will have to, and assuming he will, spend when the time is most right.
Whens the right time to spend? According to Melnyk and Murray we are contenders and buyers right now; and yet no money to be seen anywhere.

Either Melnyk is lying about spending at the right time or Melnyk & Murray are lying about how they view this team.

Old
03-05-2014, 07:00 PM
harvey

i just shake my head
at the incredible knowledge presented in this thread.
OMG why are you not coaching this team?

Old
03-05-2014, 07:02 PM
4thlinescrub
Sharks/Pens SCF

How about Conacher being on the ice instead of any other forward with 1 minute left when we had him on waivers! One of the many bad coaching choices all season.

Old
03-05-2014, 07:13 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Whens the right time to spend? According to Melnyk and Murray we are contenders and buyers right now; and yet no money to be seen anywhere.

Either Melnyk is lying about spending at the right time or Melnyk & Murray are lying about how they view this team.
How do you figure, the Sens just did spend for Hemsky.

Why on earth would Murray overpay for players now to add to a team that is struggling to make the playoffs?

Murray has openly stated some of the young players haven't developed as quickly as expected. Not hard to translate this into they are behind their projected schedule to some extent. So now isn't the time to go all in.

Should the Sens not add some pieces by the start of next season, then I might begin to wonder. But not now, not with how this group has been underperforming.

Old
03-05-2014, 07:25 PM
Benjamin
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
How do you figure, the Sens just did spend for Hemsky.

Why on earth would Murray overpay for players now to add to a team that is struggling to make the playoffs?

Murray has openly stated some of the young players haven't developed as quickly as expected. Not hard to translate this into they are behind their projected schedule to some extent. So now isn't the time to go all in.

Should the Sens not add some pieces by the start of next season, then I might begin to wonder. But not now, not with how this group has been underperforming.
Hemsky was money in, money out.

Im not talking about adding players. Im glad we didnt go for rentals or overpay for anyone. Just find it funny how contradictory the front office is.

Old
03-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Golden_Jet

Well we probably added about 600k until the end of the year after today.

Old
03-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
How about Conacher being on the ice instead of any other forward with 1 minute left when we had him on waivers! One of the many bad coaching choices all season.
Putting Cory in the box when they had no plans to use him on the PK wasn't a bad decision, but definitely an oversight based on how events unfolded.

Considering the Sens would only have had 32 seconds to gain control of the puck and get it up ice and setup after the penalty expired, not sure it mattered who was in the box.

However Smyth's penalty changed a PK into a 4 on 4 and suddenly who was in the penalty box might made a difference.

Should they thought of all the possible senarios, ideally yes. However at the end of the day the game wasn't lost because of this, it was lost due to turnovers and lack of effort.

IMO that is on the players, not the coaches.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 03-05-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old
03-05-2014, 07:37 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 88
Quote:

Maybe Ryan should stop complaining, shut up and play the game. He has been horribly inconsistent this season.

Closed Thread