HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Good wrist brace for hockey?

Old
03-23-2015, 11:31 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 50
Good wrist brace for hockey?

I've had kind of an ongoing minor wrist strain for a while now, had a bad habit as a D-man to kind of do swinging poke-sweeps my stick around with just my wrist, not keeping my whole forearm stiff. I've tried to get better with my habits and when I don't play for a while it's gotten better but then sort of returns with heavy play. Last few weeks I've been playing 3-5 times a week so it's been getting worse. Pain is not too serious or debilitating but I want to take steps now to make sure it's stabilized and getting better going forward.

Anyone have experience with this sort of strain and recommend a good sports brace, or these compression braces, they any good? Really don't know much about orthokinetics stuff so advice is appreciated.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2015, 03:06 PM
leftwinger37

vCash: 500
I have suffered from wrist issues for a while which were documented in detail here. I would recommend any of the Shock Doctor wrist supports. Since I am still recovering from fusion surgery, I am currently using the 824 model which is the most supportive brace that they offer. I feel it has provided great protection and support as I ease my way back into playing. The only downside is that it offers the least mobility out of any of their braces, but that just means it’s doing its job. Prior to surgery, I was using their wrist compression wrap which was much more mobile. You know better than anyone what level of support you need, but to answer your question, I can say that I tried Shock Doctor and have had no complaints.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2015, 03:33 PM
MD56

I've been dealing with pretty bad tendinitis in my high wrist for the last year or so. My wrist will be fine for a few games, then i'll take a swipe at a puck and it feels like someone hit me in the wrist with a hammer.

I started out with the shock doctor 3-strap supports and was pretty happy with them for a while. Ironically though I don't think they did enough to stop the "shock" that the wrist takes when someone lifts your stick or you take a hard swipe at the puck. For my issue, i think compression is what helps the most, so I switched to these: http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/sto...&siteScope=ok# They are super basic and cheap, but I can apply as much or as little compression to the wrist as is needed and it really helps the tendinitis from flaring up too much. My only complaint about these is that you can end up cutting off the circulation to your hand if you go to tight with them. I think during the course of the first game though I was able to find that sweet spot.

best of luck

MD56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2015, 06:08 PM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 50
Thanks guys, especially leftwinger for that other write-up, I'll definitely take it seriously if it gets worse.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2015, 07:18 AM
shoeshine boy

I like this one:
http://www.futuro-usa.com/3M/en_US/F...4529207&rt=rud

it supports but still allows for max mobility inside the glove.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2015, 05:40 PM
leftwinger37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Thanks guys, especially leftwinger for that other write-up, I'll definitely take it seriously if it gets worse.
No problem. Hopefully your issue is nothing too serious.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote