HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Valeri Bure signs with Kings

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2005, 08:52 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

vCash: 500
ya, bure isn't all that great a signing. nothing to be waving the flag about right now. if he's there as a "use if needed", i guess u can't complain. but i dont really expect much out of this softy. btw, does my memory serve me rihgt in him being extremely inconsistent and scoring in bunches?

Old
08-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Face Wash

Well, it's possible we got a hometown discount with him. I think him and his wife still live here. He'll definitely push Cammalleri (who I think is similar in style, attitude and streakiness).

for less than $2 mil (hopefully) considering the trade market hasn't come about and Frolov is pretty serious about Abromovich's money, it's not the worst move in the world.

Old
08-12-2005, 09:25 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
Isn't this, like, Stumpel's twin?
exactly...

this is just a crap signing...spending this summer my ***! again, the kings are relegated to 2nd and 3rd tier free agent signings...

i would have rather gone with the youth approach than taking this malcontent...where is the rebuke from everyone...i can remember a couple of years ago even the mention of valeri bure sends diarhea up everyone's spine here...

08-12-2005, 09:26 AM
Fat Elvis

His 52 points would have ranked 1st on our team. Injuries

Old
08-12-2005, 09:33 AM
Mxpunk

I think this is a good signing...Bure still has some offensive upside, and if the league really starts calling obstruction, his game should open up...Also, if it's only 1.5 million, it's a steal! Granted, he is no Palffy, but there really aren't many offensive studs available; there are some thru trades, but the Kings would likely have to give up some top prospects...I think this is a great move under the circumstances.

Old
08-12-2005, 09:36 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpunk
I think this is a good signing...Bure still has some offensive upside, and if the league really starts calling obstruction, his game should open up...Also, if it's only 1.5 million, it's a steal! Granted, he is no Palffy, but there really aren't many offensive studs available; there are some thru trades, but the Kings would likely have to give up some top prospects...I think this is a great move under the circumstances.
if his game would open up, what do you think it would do to palffy's or kariya's? everyone's game would open up ...

Old
08-12-2005, 09:48 AM
Mxpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
if his game would open up, what do you think it would do to palffy's or kariya's? everyone's game would open up ...
I know, but I'm trying to make lemonade out of lemons...I'm sure that DT tried to sign Palffy and Kariya, but they chose to go their own way...Thus, the Kings were left with Bondra, Mogilny, Bure, or giving up youth in a trade....Bondra is way too old and doesn't have the speed anymore, Mogilny is coming off hip surgery and hasn't played...Bure was the best of an unspectacular lot...

And don't even ask me about CARTER!!! BLAH!

Last edited by Mxpunk: 08-12-2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old
08-12-2005, 09:56 AM
jt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Not a fan of this signing. Valeri Bure's the type of player that will put up points in the regular season but then disappear in the playoffs. Don't like the idea of him taking away ice time from the kids and especially not as a replacement for Frolov. Look at the bright side, though. Valeri has helped bring Florida the number one overall pick two of his three years there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
ick. a soft floater with no heart.

I guess he's better than Stumpel...
Quote:
exactly...

this is just a crap signing...spending this summer my ***! again, the kings are relegated to 2nd and 3rd tier free agent signings...

i would have rather gone with the youth approach than taking this malcontent...where is the rebuke from everyone...i can remember a couple of years ago even the mention of valeri bure sends diarhea up everyone's spine here...
Concur with these posts.

I'd rather have Noah Clarke in the top 6.

Old
08-12-2005, 10:04 AM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
Isn't this, like, Stumpel's twin?
Thank you. How everybody is stoked on this is beyond me? Talking about powder puff. What a lame signing. Let's see Lindros 1.5, Valeri Bure 1.5? I know though Lindros is injured half the time. People you might want to check out Bure's stats. He avgs about 47 games ayear. The big "E" about 61 games a year. He's (EL) played more games and he's been around less.

Sorry guys. I'm just not jumping up and down on this one............It's pretty sad! Why bother with this signing. They should have just given a contract to Lehoux and see what he does................1.5, is still 1.5............It just dents at our cap.

Old
08-12-2005, 10:15 AM
swinginutter*

Quote:
exactly...

AGREED!

Like I said..........if they don't get Frolov over here, i'll pull my season seats. I don't really care what approach the Kings took (PR standpoint).........But don't lie to the fans in public (TL)......just don't say anything to us, and i'll accept what we get. There BS is really starting to get on my nerves............

Valeri Bure...................what a joke!

Old
08-12-2005, 10:16 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
1.5 million for a 20 goal scorer is a bargain. It's a 1 year deal, he has wanted to play in LA forever.
They probably told him, you will play 2 way hockey, you will try or you won't be back. I think it's well worth the risk. We are now a very deep team, something the Kings haven't been since....never. Would I have rather had Palffy...of course, but this is better than nothing.

Also- It's not like they didn't try to sign other guys, things happen.

Old
08-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
Concur with these posts.

I'd rather have Noah Clarke in the top 6.

This is only the 2nd time I have agreed with JT. This is a crap signing, cheap way to get out of trading for a legit guy and not being able to pony up for Palffy, Mogilny, or Kariya.

Plus, I would rather have Brown, Cammy, or Lehoux playing.

If Klatt comes back and Frolov signs where the hell does Cammy, TK, Flinn, or Brown fit into the roster? There is only one spot left and we gave the second last one to a undersized floater who does nothing in the playoffs.

Kings management...What did they say, they planned on using 4-5 guys from Manchester. Well, they're aint any room for any more than 2-3 (Gleason, Garon, ?)

Old
08-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Mxpunk

This just came to me, but is it possible this signing is to help ease Frolov and Grebs into the American lifestyle? Frolov is still far from adjusted; last I saw him, he was hanging around Lappy with a grandma's frock on during the summertime..If you think about it, the Kings have no veteran Russians to make the younger players feel comfortable? Hopefully, this is the case...

Old
08-12-2005, 10:28 AM
Jag68Sid87

At that price, he doesn't even have to play a top-six role...heck, he doesn't even have to play (press box) if he's not producing.

I don't see a downside to this deal, and it definitely helps out the Frolov situation (it gives the Kings more leverage).

Old
08-12-2005, 10:28 AM
guzmania

Informationally, he was rated #16 in terms of right wingers, right after Hossa, Satan and Vborny,and just before the likes of Havlat, Kovalev, Bondra and Hull at the end of last season (03-04).

(See CBS Sportsline player ratings: http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/playerrankings/regularseason/RW).

I'm not saying he's Moses leading us to the promised land but the new NHL, shootouts, Frolov, price, maturity, cost all play into this signing. Being realistic two summers ago everyone was wailing about how Philly jumped the gun in getting Roenick and how DT got punked and now, he doesn't even count for beans. People were just raving on about Jeremy. For several years I've wanted Pavol Demitra, I'm totally flippin' ecstatic we got him, Bure meza meza, but he is another element in building a team.

I still want a decent stay at home Dman, unless Grebs and/or Petiot are tabbed for that 6th/7th spot with some certainty. Let's see how we do and experience the first couple of weeks before we proclaim the cup as ours and converesly, don't scream fire on a crowded board before the acquisition window is even closed let alone training camp opens. ( I know, we need a cement head, I keep forgetting Utter).

His Career so far;
http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/players/playerpage/19244

Old
08-12-2005, 10:30 AM
swinginutter*

Quote:
This just came to me, but is it possible this signing is to help ease Frolov and Grebs into the American lifestyle? Frolov is still far from adjusted; last I saw him, he was hanging around Lappy with a grandma's frock on during the summertime..If you think about it, the Kings have no veteran Russians to make the younger players feel comfortable? Hopefully, this is the case...
It's not the case.........His english is just fine, and he's a grown man. This most likely has everything to do with money. Players luring other players may be a thing of the past........Except for Palffy and Stumpel.

I really don't know what's going on behind closed doors. But time is ticking and we're dropping the ball.

Old
08-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot
Per L.A. Times, Valeri Bure signs with Kings. Depth insurance in case Frolov does not return?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...adlines-sports

What's happening with Frolov now, that people are thinking he won't return?? (Sorry guys... Just a curious Bruins fan)
That would be a huge blow if you had to scratch that guy off your roster.

Old
08-12-2005, 10:38 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
1.5 million for a 20 goal scorer is a bargain. It's a 1 year deal, he has wanted to play in LA forever.
They probably told him, you will play 2 way hockey, you will try or you won't be back. I think it's well worth the risk. We are now a very deep team, something the Kings haven't been since....never. Would I have rather had Palffy...of course, but this is better than nothing.

I think people are (as usual) thinking short term rather than long term. The keys to being successful in this new CBA is youth and flexibility. The Kings are both at this point and will remain that way.

If it's a $1.5 mil deal (or so) the Kings stay flexible at $31 or $32 mil (without Frolov). They're already young, and next year when younger UFAs are available and they have between $10 and $16 mil more to spend in expired contracts, they'll fill more holes through signings and trade. The Kings need Frolov, and should probably be willing to double his qualifying offer for a 2-year deal, but the terms are up to them. They need the guy here, I don't think ANYONE disagrees with that.

I think some of you folks are being a bit harsh on DT. The Kings have spent money, and more importantly, they've spent money pretty wisely. It's time for our Kids to show what they're made of.

Leave it to KJ and me to be the voices of reason

Old
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmaniac
Informationally, he was rated #16 in terms of right wingers, right after Hossa, Satan and Vborny,and just before the likes of Havlat, Kovalev, Bondra and Hull at the end of last season (03-04).

(See CBS Sportsline player ratings: http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/playerrankings/regularseason/RW).

I'm not saying he's Moses leading us to the promised land but the new NHL, shootouts, Frolov, price, maturity, cost all play into this signing. Being realistic two summers ago everyone was wailing about how Philly jumped the gun in getting Roenick and how DT got punked and now, he doesn't even count for beans. People were just raving on about Jeremy. For several years I've wanted Pavol Demitra, I'm totally flippin' ecstatic we got him, Bure meza meza, but he is another element in building a team.

I still want a decent stay at home Dman, unless Grebs and/or Petiot are tabbed for that 6th/7th spot with some certainty. Let's see how we do and experience the first couple of weeks before we proclaim the cup as ours and converesly, don't scream fire on a crowded board before the acquisition window is even closed let alone training camp opens. ( I know, we need a cement head, I keep forgetting Utter).

His Career so far;
http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/players/playerpage/19244
That's not the first time you've thrown a pop shot. You hardly know me bro. I like Physical play and you like the Ice Capades.........I guess that makes me a cement head. Well long live cement heads.

I just have an honest opinion. You people coddle everything this front office does. It's a joke signing, and you'll soon figure that out.

Old
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:

i dont think he's a bargain, he's a floater that doens't do anything other then put up points. for $1.5 mil, i woulda rather had lindros or allison. yes, chances are those guys wuolda been more expensive had they signed here, but i still don't see how bure is a good signing when other people are signing better players for same price.

on the other hand, it may not be a good signing, but it's not a "bad" signing. again, if its a "use as needed" position, it would help ease the rookies into the NHL. we havea butt load of potential rookies this year, i don't think we wana overload them.

Old
08-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Mxpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash
Leave it to KJ and me to be the voices of reason
And me! Right? Right?

Old
08-12-2005, 10:41 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
And me! Right? Right?

oh, and Mx!!

Old
08-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Mxpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash
oh, and Mx!!
Thanks, now I feel like a Buddha sitting atop a mountain peak!

Old
08-12-2005, 10:44 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Thanks, now I feel like a Buddha sitting atop a mountain peak!

KJ will rub your belly later, Mr. Buddha.

Old
08-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:

Agreed. Give Bure a chance. If he can put up 20+ goals and 60 points, I'll be happy.

I like how people say crap like "Lindros got 1.5 million and Bure got 1.5 million! Why didn't we take the risk on Lindros instead of Bure??" I guess people don't take into consideration that contrary to popular belief, not everyone wants to play in LA.

Closed Thread