HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Valeri Bure signs with Kings

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
for $1.5 mil, i woulda rather had lindros or allison.

Old
08-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
i dont think he's a bargain, he's a floater that doens't do anything other then put up points. for $1.5 mil, i woulda rather had lindros or allison. yes, chances are those guys wuolda been more expensive had they signed here, but i still don't see how bure is a good signing when other people are signing better players for same price.

on the other hand, it may not be a good signing, but it's not a "bad" signing. again, if its a "use as needed" position, it would help ease the rookies into the NHL. we havea butt load of potential rookies this year, i don't think we wana overload them.
Exactly. Kings could have signed someone like Lindros or Marty Lapointe, at least if they dont score they contribute physically. We don't need more Cliff Ronnings and Anson Carters, but Kings managment doesn't realize this.

I'm furious, now Cammy, Brown, TK, and Flinn are pretty much all out of the picture unless Klatt retires.

And I'm laughing at whoever said the Kings were young.

JR-35
Demitra-31
Conroy-33
Bure-31
Armstrong-30
Klatt-34
Miller-33

Where is the youth..?

Old
08-12-2005, 10:59 AM
guzmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
That's not the first time you've thrown a pop shot. You hardly know me bro. I like Physical play and you like the Ice Capades.........I guess that makes me a cement head. Well long live cement heads.

I just have an honest opinion. You people coddle everything this front office does. It's a joke signing, and you'll soon figure that out.
Utter, man, I think you're OK, we've kinda agreed to disagree about the need for cement heads in the NHL thing. And I have even joked about it with you (not against you). Just a light remark, don't always like to put the smilies in, but I guess they serve a purpose.

I don't like Ice Capades and you won't find an "end fighting in hockey" sentiments in any of my posts. I feel it serves the team to be tough and skate a regular shift. I do take more joy from a devastating check than a knockout punch, although the punch can get my blood running too.

It was an informational post, did you look at the links? For the reasons stated it might be an excellent signing. It also might make the Anson Carter signing look brilliant. I don't know yet, but then again neither can you.

At least we don't have Modry and Stumpel.

Old
08-12-2005, 11:11 AM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmaniac
Utter, man, I think you're OK, we've kinda agreed to disagree about the need for cement heads in the NHL thing. And I have even joked about it with you (not against you). Just a light remark, don't always like to put the smilies in, but I guess they serve a purpose.

I don't like Ice Capades and you won't find an "end fighting in hockey" sentiments in any of my posts. I feel it serves the team to be tough and skate a regular shift. I do take more joy from a devastating check than a knockout punch, although the punch can get my blood running too.

It was an informational post, did you look at the links? For the reasons stated it might be an excellent signing. It also might make the Anson Carter signing look brilliant. I don't know yet, but then again neither can you.

At least we don't have Modry and Stumpel.
Fair enough.

I know Bure is on our roster now, and i'll deal with it. But i'm beyond jaded with this signing. It moves our youth farther out of the picture...........and for this guy, c'mon! I'd rather they not have signed anyone, and that's my major beef. I did mention Lindros in one of my previous posts, but that had to do with choosing one or the other.............quite frankly, I didn't want either. I just find the direction of this club very confusing. They're all over the shop.

Season hasn't even started, and I hope this club turns it out. But as transactions are happening, I have the right to be frustrated. I just don't see any justification on this signing. He had some good years with the Flames. Hopefully he can refind that vigor. I just hope this doesn't push Cammy out, or more importantly Frolov not coming back.

Old
08-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
Exactly. Kings could have signed someone like Lindros or Marty Lapointe, at least if they dont score they contribute physically.
Lapointe signed a 3 year deal worth more than 7M, no way he would have signed a 1 year deal worth 1.5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
I'm furious, now Cammy, Brown, TK, and Flinn are pretty much all out of the picture unless Klatt retires.
This is an enigma for me too. At the Press Conference, DT also said they expected Cammy to play a major role with the new rules. If he knew what he was saying, this signing doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

About Lehoux...last January when Yanick went down with the knee injury Gilmore was really pissed. I remember I read an interview with him on the Union Leader and he was saying "that Yanick was going to loose the whole season, and if the NHL would have started it would have been a bad thing for the Kings too, because Lehoux was going to get a chance." Which means the Kings had plans to bring him up if the NHL would have started last winter.

Just a quick memo:
  • Cammalleri - signed...then we get Valeria Bure
  • Lehoux - still unsigned
  • Frolov - still unsigned, likely to spend the season in Russia
I'm really impressed by the way our franchise takes care of our young talented players...

Old
08-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Matt13

This gives me a feeling that Camms is getting traded.

Old
08-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi
Lapointe signed a 3 year deal worth more than 7M, no way he would have signed a 1 year deal worth 1.5M

This is an enigma for me too. At the Press Conference, DT also said they expected Cammy to play a major role with the new rules. If he knew what he was saying, this signing doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

About Lehoux...last January when Yanick went down with the knee injury Gilmore was really pissed. I remember I read an interview with him on the Union Leader and he was saying "that Yanick was going to loose the whole season, and if the NHL would have started it would have been a bad thing for the Kings too, because Lehoux was going to get a chance." Which means the Kings had plans to bring him up if the NHL would have started last winter.

Just a quick memo:
  • Cammalleri - signed...then we get Valeria Bure
  • Lehoux - still unsigned
  • Frolov - still unsigned, likely to spend the season in Russia
I'm really impressed by the way our franchise takes care of our young talented players...

Exactly. My point with Lapointe is that there are guys who can contribute in other ways. Bure, if he doesn't score doesn't contribute. Lindros, Lapointe, Dimaio, and other recent free agent signings put up close decent numbers, but contribute physically also.

Old
08-12-2005, 11:20 AM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13
This gives me a feeling that Camms is getting traded.
Agreed.

Old
08-12-2005, 11:22 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
1.5 million for a 20 goal scorer is a bargain. It's a 1 year deal, he has wanted to play in LA forever.
They probably told him, you will play 2 way hockey, you will try or you won't be back. I think it's well worth the risk. We are now a very deep team, something the Kings haven't been since....never. Would I have rather had Palffy...of course, but this is better than nothing.

Also- It's not like they didn't try to sign other guys, things happen.
I agree, although at this point I'd be just as fine seeing one of the kids get more ice time. This seems like an insurance signing, which is fine with me. Lord knows we've been out of insurance for 3 years now.

This isn't a lifetime contract. It's a 1 year deal which keeps the Kings in good to great shape depth wise for this year and still affords a LOT of cap room flexibility for next year.

- T

Old
08-12-2005, 11:23 AM
guzmania

Quote:
Do you think this is one of the ramifications of the "cost certainty" philosophy that Gary "Boom Boom" Bettman instituted in the NHL? Don't you think that the Russian hockey owners have been licking their collective chops at the idea of competing monetarily with the NHL? Cause and effect. I hate it but, whoop, there it is.

Old
08-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Albi

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania
Do you think this is one of the ramifications of the "cost certainty" philosophy that Gary "Boom Boom" Bettman instituted in the NHL? Don't you think that the Russian hockey owners have been licking their collective chops at the idea of competing monetarily with the NHL? Cause and effect. I hate it but, whoop, there it is.
Good point Guz.
And I wouldn't be surprised to see Lehoux signing in Russia too.
Not at all.

Old
08-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Jeez Reaper, it's the second night in a row you're drunk.
It's time to invite me over there buddy...
I work for a school district. Summer school has just ended, and I'm out of a job basically for 3 and a half weeks until school starts up again. Might as well enjoy my summer right?

Old
08-12-2005, 11:26 AM
Albi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I work for a school district. Summer school has just ended, and I'm out of a job basically for 3 and a half weeks until school starts up again. Might as well enjoy my summer right?
Nothing wrong with that amico mio...I just wanted to join the fun

Old
08-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that amico mio...I just wanted to join the fun
Ha I was drinking with my buddy who's Sicilian last night, might as well drink with a real Italian.

Old
08-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Albi

Quote:
Ha I was drinking with my buddy who's Sicilian last night, might as well drink with a real Italian.
These are the words I wanted to hear.
I'll bring with me 4/5 bottles of good italian wine...

Old
08-12-2005, 11:31 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
on the other hand, it may not be a good signing, but it's not a "bad" signing. again, if its a "use as needed" position, it would help ease the rookies into the NHL. we havea butt load of potential rookies this year, i don't think we wana overload them.
Exactly! I think the consnesus of most the posters here is that the "kids" need to earn spots and not have things handed to them. So, the Kings go out and sign a guy that has shown he can play in the top-6 in the NHL thus creating competition for top six time.

I look at this season as a "key" season for Bure and his future. He turned 31 in June. I'm sure most are aware that L.A. will be the 6th NHL team Bure plays on as he enters his 11th NHL season. I'm sure there are several reasons for that. When you look at the list Guz supplied the link for, you'll see Havlat (24-yrs old) is making $2.6-milion and Kovalev (32-yrs old) is making $4.5-million. Both Kovalev and Havlat are ranked just below Bure. Obviously, there are reasons why both make more than the $1.5-million the Kings are rumored to be paying Bure. Is it possible that some of the reasons are fixable? I think a lot of that lies on Bure's shoulders. I look at it this way, Bure has two choices.

1. He can stay on the same path that landed him on his 6th NHL team in 11-seasons making millions of dollars/season less than other top-6 wings in the NHL...

2. He can change his approach in an effort to increase the probability of being offered a longer than one year deal at better than the money he'll make this year with the Kings, or any other NHL club. At 31, I'd think this has to be at least in the back of his mind...

Old
08-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
These are the words I wanted to hear.
I'll bring with me 4/5 bottles of good italian wine...
Can't say that I've ever really liked wine, even when I was in Spain and had that sweet Sangria they have there, I never fell for it.

Old
08-12-2005, 11:41 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh?
Agreed. Give Bure a chance. If he can put up 20+ goals and 60 points, I'll be happy.

I like how people say crap like "Lindros got 1.5 million and Bure got 1.5 million! Why didn't we take the risk on Lindros instead of Bure??" I guess people don't take into consideration that contrary to popular belief, not everyone wants to play in LA.
I tend to agree, people are assuming that EL, Palffy, Mogilny, Satan and others were knocking on the Kings front door. Guess not. Is this a great signing.. is this a crap signing... . imo this is just a signing. Hard to say we could have gotten EL or JA to play in LA for 1.5. Last time I checked hockey is religion in Toronto, Half the folks in LA don't know the Kings from a hole in their gucci bag. Bure is just a guy, if he can help ..great. If he doesn't help..whoopty doo...all it would do is put him in line with Ronning, Carter, Straka and Stevie D. Don't understand all the bitterness with this signing, it's just not that big a deal imo.

Old
08-12-2005, 11:46 AM
Reaper45

I still think it's a very good signing. A 60+ point guy for 1.5 million? How can you go wrong? Better than a 4 million dollar Straka, a 2.5 million Carter...and so on...

Old
08-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Game Misconduct

I don't understand this signing at all. I think I would go so far as to say that it may hurt the team more than it helps because this guy's attitude stinks. He doesn't fit on our team. He'll set a bad example for our younger players.

I think I'm going to go throw up now.

Old
08-12-2005, 11:58 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
I don't understand this signing at all. I think I would go so far as to say that it may hurt the team more than it helps because this guy's attitude stinks. He doesn't fit on our team. He'll set a bad example for our younger players.

I think I'm going to go throw up now.
I dont think so. Forever and a day has Val wanted to play in L.A., and maybe now that he's here he'll be happy go lucky and play his ass off?

Old
08-12-2005, 12:03 PM
10 ft. pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
1.5 million for a 20 goal scorer is a bargain. It's a 1 year deal, he has wanted to play in LA forever.
They probably told him, you will play 2 way hockey, you will try or you won't be back. I think it's well worth the risk. We are now a very deep team, something the Kings haven't been since....never. Would I have rather had Palffy...of course, but this is better than nothing.

Also- It's not like they didn't try to sign other guys, things happen.
Add to this Statement. If you do not perform there are young kids that will take your spot. Andy Murray will bench you quicker than a homeless man pounces on a abandoned sack lunch!

Old
08-12-2005, 12:04 PM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
I dont think so. Forever and a day has Val wanted to play in L.A., and maybe now that he's here he'll be happy go lucky and play his ass off?
I certainly hope you're right, but you usually can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Old
08-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ft. pole
Add to this Statement. If you do not perform there are young kids that will take your spot. Andy Murray will bench you quicker than a homeless man pounces on a abandoned sack lunch!
And then he'll ***** and whine and be a distraction in the locker room. That's why he's a big negative for the team. This was a really stupid signing IMO. Shows desperation, which scares me re: Frolov.

Old
08-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Albi

Quote:
Ehm, ehm...Was there another player who always wanted to play in LA and when he finally wore purple and black, plain and simple, sucked?

Closed Thread