Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick for Torrey Mitchell, 2014 2nd and 2016 2nd

Old
03-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
I would take Moulson at $5m x 5 years over Vanek at $7m x 7 years any day of the week.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 04:07 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I would take Moulson at $5m x 5 years over Vanek at $7m x 7 years any day of the week.
Yup, if those were the only options. $7.5m x 5 years would be alright for Vanek, tho.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 04:11 PM
Generic User
How's your burger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
Yup, if those were the only options. $7.5m x 5 years would be alright for Vanek, tho.
It'd be alright in years 1 and 2, IMO. After that... I dunno.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 04:23 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
It'd be alright in years 1 and 2, IMO. After that... I dunno.
Would still be a bargain compared to what other teams would be willing to pay for him. He'd still be a great player probably for 2-3 more years. I'd think that even at 35 he'd be a good depth player - albeit an expensive one.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Generic User
How's your burger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
Would still be a bargain compared to what other teams would be willing to pay for him. He'd still be a great player probably for 2-3 more years. I'd think that even at 35 he'd be a good depth player - albeit an expensive one.
That's what I'm concerned with. With the Granlund, Coyle, Brodin, Nino, Kuemper, etc. coming up for contract extensions inside the window where Vanek would be at $7.5M, we're probably gonna want that extra wiggle room.

It used to be that the 3rd contract was the expensive one, but now it's trending towards the 2nd contract. Players coming off their ELCs are getting paid more than ever. The days of Granlund (so long as he keeps producing, etc.) signing for $2-4M for their 2nd contract are over.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 05:09 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
That's what I'm concerned with. With the Granlund, Coyle, Brodin, Nino, Kuemper, etc. coming up for contract extensions inside the window where Vanek would be at $7.5M, we're probably gonna want that extra wiggle room.

It used to be that the 3rd contract was the expensive one, but now it's trending towards the 2nd contract. Players coming off their ELCs are getting paid more than ever. The days of Granlund (so long as he keeps producing, etc.) signing for $2-4M for their 2nd contract are over.
For their second contract, kids won't be taking cap/roster space from Suter/Parise/Pominville/Koivu/2014 UFA. They will be taking it away from the role players of Heatley/Brodziak/Cooke/Ballard/Mitchell (as we saw).

As for the kids' 3rd contracts, yes, they will be taking spots from the Vet Core, but (1) only 2-3 max will actually do that, (2) there will have been at least 3-4 years of cap raises, and (3) the worst case scenario is that you have to trade somebody away, which honestly isn't that bad if you do it right.

nickschultzfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 05:16 PM
W75

vCash: 626
Quote:

I think that's a healthy trend. Players should get paid for what they do, not what they once did.

W75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

This is the first time I've been able to sit down and post in a few days.

I think Moulson will be a good fit in Minnesota he is a decent 2nd liner that reminds me of Parise in some ways. He scores a lot from right in front, and if he can get a set up pass he's deadly. I'm not sure about his defensive abilities, so I'll have to wait and see.

Anyway, I think he will re-sign here in the off season and the Wild will be that much closer to being contenders.

McCormick I don't know much about. If he can chip in on the 4th line great, but who knows.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 05:42 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Moulson is going to be on the NHL network on NHL live in a minute if anyone is watching tv right now.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 05:56 PM
HockeyHS

Quote:
I would too. I am probably alone but i wouldn't sign Vanek at all. He wouldn't come price i'd pay. He's a floater. Floaters are the stars of the bad teams. They score often a lot but never wins anything.

HockeyHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 06:07 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 370
Brett Hull made a career of being a floater. He was never a great skater, but his floating made defenses lose track of him, then bam...goal.

Vanek floats similarly...with a purpose, not like Pouliot...aimlessly.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 06:25 PM
HockeyHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Brett Hull made a career of being a floater. He was never a great skater, but his floating made defenses lose track of him, then bam...goal.

Vanek floats similarly...with a purpose, not like Pouliot...aimlessly.
Point taken. Brett was successful. But two points..
It was over ten years ago and you need line mates to match.. I suppose with Koivu and a good two-way winger it could work.. Still the salary people are willing to pay the man who is useless without great line mates...

HockeyHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 06:30 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 370
Fyi, Moulson is also a floater...just not quite as much as Vanek, but Vanek is at least a better skater. Other than the fact that Vanek is better at just about everything else as well.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 06:47 PM
LordFletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
If Backstrom can get healthy, I wonder if we could trade him and a pick to Calgary at the draft? Brian Burke said he is willing to take on other teams bad contracts as long as they can get a pick along with it.

Link

When is Burke stepping down exactly? I know he said he will not be the GM next year. Does that mean after April he's done

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 12:42 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I just want to see Moulson and Koivu with another good offensive player. I could be wrong but I don't see them producing with Coyle on that wing. But I know Yeo's first instinct would be to do something dumb like put Parise-Koivu-Moulson together.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 12:57 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
Quote:
I just want to see Moulson and Koivu with another good offensive player. I could be wrong but I don't see them producing with Coyle on that wing. But I know Yeo's first instinct would be to do something dumb like put Parise-Koivu-Moulson together.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Dr Jan Itor

His first instinct was to keep Parise/Granlund/Pominville together...

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Puhis
@iPuhis

Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
I think the Moulson - Koivu - Coyle -line could be quite effective. Koivu is strong on the perimeter and in the half-wall as well as along the boards, Coyle is very effective in the boards and can pass effectively and Moulson is at his best in the slot. Koivu is a playmaker/two-way forward against Coyle's power forward/grinding style and Moulson's sniper/shooter -mentality. Not only is that a working combination, in reality it works even better when you look at players' individual strengths and weaknesses. Moulson needs players like Koivu and Coyle to succeed as much as Koivu needs Moulson and Coyle and Coyle needs Moulson and Koivu.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 03:46 PM
THEKOSTAJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHS View Post
I would too. I am probably alone but i wouldn't sign Vanek at all. He wouldn't come price i'd pay. He's a floater. Floaters are the stars of the bad teams. They score often a lot but never wins anything.
I agree with you, so you are not alone!

THEKOSTAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 04:28 PM
TheInstigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
I think the Moulson - Koivu - Coyle -line could be quite effective. Koivu is strong on the perimeter and in the half-wall as well as along the boards, Coyle is very effective in the boards and can pass effectively and Moulson is at his best in the slot. Koivu is a playmaker/two-way forward against Coyle's power forward/grinding style and Moulson's sniper/shooter -mentality. Not only is that a working combination, in reality it works even better when you look at players' individual strengths and weaknesses. Moulson needs players like Koivu and Coyle to succeed as much as Koivu needs Moulson and Coyle and Coyle needs Moulson and Koivu.
As some guys like to say:
Coyle - Plumber
Koivu - Distributer
Moulson - Finisher

TheInstigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 05:00 PM
Victorious Secret
Torchetti 4 Prez

vCash: 50
If they took Coyle off that line and put Nino in, that line would have another 5 goals by the end of the year.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Avder
Animated to Explode

vCash: 64
Yeah i want to see Nino on that Moulson-Koivu line.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 07:15 PM
BusQuets

A little concerned how little Nino's TOI will be now. He isn't on any pp or sh units and is playing on 3rd line...

BusQuets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 07:17 PM
WILDTATE10

vCash: 50
First time posting my input on the acquisition. Another great move by Fletcher. I agree with those that say its a try out for moulson to see if we just want to keep him and not go after Vanek. I also see it as insurance in case Vanek doesn't make it to free agency.

I wonder what our offer was for Vanek... Imagin if Snow would have took our offer and all other team fans here throwing it back in our face after many said we wouldn't give up anything for him and just wait till free agency

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 07:23 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
A little concerned how little Nino's TOI will be now. He isn't on any pp or sh units and is playing on 3rd line...
With a deeper and more balanced line-up, my bet is the TOI will be closer 5x5 than normal.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote