Notices

Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick for Torrey Mitchell, 2014 2nd and 2016 2nd

Old
03-07-2014, 11:34 PM
tsmbain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
If they took Coyle off that line and put Nino in, that line would have another 5 goals by the end of the year.
But the 3rd line would be less effective making that extra 5 goals mute.

I see Cooke-Brodziak-Nino as a better line than Cooke-brodziak-Coyle.

tsmbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:46 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

^That is because Nino is just better than Coyle, imo.

Nino really deserves greater ice time for what he brings, and Coyle needs to practice a little more this summer.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 12:45 AM
TwInS1095

You guys are forgetting one key component...Coyle at wing>>>>>>>>Coyle at Center at this stage in his career. Let's see how Coyle does at wing for a few games before calling for his head.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 08:09 AM
57special

vCash: 335
I know Coyle hasn't shown it on the stat line, but I like how he is playing, and our team really needs that combination of size, speed, and skill. I would put Nino on second, and make the third line Coyle, Brodziak, Haula. Possibly subbing in Brodziak for Haula when playing the Blues or similar teams. Nasty line!

57special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 10:00 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Please don't misunderstand, I actually like Coyle and I believe he is going to develop even further into being a good NHL player. Right now however, I really do believe Nino is just better than he is, at most things. It's not really a knock on Coyle, just is what it is.

Imo, Nino has a chance to become a really special player, a kind that we have been lacking, well, kinda forever. We better ****ing keep this kid around and give him a consistent shot at that top 6.

I would love to see Nino with Koivu and Moulson. Moulson has that discreet presence around the net and Nino is just that nasty, feisty piece, decent passer too.

Old
03-08-2014, 11:45 AM
57special

Koivu, Nino, Moulson would be pretty slow.

Old
03-08-2014, 01:25 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57special View Post
Koivu, Nino, Moulson would be pretty slow.
How is that any different than with Coyle? Nino and Coyle have the same skating speed, and either one would be the fastest on the line.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 01:39 PM
grN1g

Yeo Rides Nino on the 3rd line because he knows how much more skilled with the puck he his compared to Coyle.

Hes trying to do a balancing act of 3 lines with speed/grit, Two-way game, and skill.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 11:21 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
You guys are forgetting one key component...Coyle at wing>>>>>>>>Coyle at Center at this stage in his career. Let's see how Coyle does at wing for a few games before calling for his head.
I don't agree. Coyle has had some of his best games this year at center.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 620
Good first game for Moulson. Added a nice spark a few times during the game and a big part of the 2nd goal was Moulson crashing the net with Coyle. I like that he seems like a threat with the puck and isn't shy about shooting either.

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 12:01 PM
TwInS1095

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I don't agree. Coyle has had some of his best games this year at center.
Ok obviously...he's played 90% of his games this year at center. Coyle being better at wing isn't an arguable point really at all.

Old
03-09-2014, 12:14 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
Ok obviously...he's played 90% of his games this year at center. Coyle being better at wing isn't an arguable point really at all.
Ha. "I'm right because you can't argue with my point."

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 02:01 PM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

Poeple need to realize than when we say Nino should get Coyle spot on the 2nd line RW it isnt becuase we hate Coyle, but becuase we think that this would make our second line better because Nino is a better player. It's that simple..

I honestly think Coyle will be a very good player for us and i wish him the best, Nino is just better.

(the thing about balancing the 3rd line with Nino sound fair tho)

SphinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 03:04 AM
youvegotit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post
Poeple need to realize than when we say Nino should get Coyle spot on the 2nd line RW it isnt becuase we hate Coyle, but becuase we think that this would make our second line better because Nino is a better player. It's that simple..

I honestly think Coyle will be a very good player for us and i wish him the best, Nino is just better.

^ this.

Although part of me thinks with Nino being a RFA this offseason we play him on the third because we know how good he is and want to keep his production down so he's more affordable going forward. Hope it's not the case, but imo it's clear Nino is better then Coyle atm.

youvegotit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 03:14 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post

Good post. This is what I think as well.

Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 07:32 AM
Harvest

Quote:
Originally Posted by youvegotit View Post
^ this.

Although part of me thinks with Nino being a RFA this offseason we play him on the third because we know how good he is and want to keep his production down so he's more affordable going forward. Hope it's not the case, but imo it's clear Nino is better then Coyle atm.
They wanna make to the playoffs no matter what, so its hard to believe that they would do that.

Harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 05:44 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvest View Post
They wanna make to the playoffs no matter what, so its hard to believe that they would do that.
Considering they'll have some room to play with and own his rights, I highly doubt it is that. It is more or less knowing that Nino is a better defender than Coyle is right now. Yeo trusts Nino out against top scoring lines as opposed to Charlie IMO.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 06:36 PM
kedelbro

Coyle is great down low on the boards, keeping the puck in. Cooke does the same in the offensive zone. Having them on the same line would mean we have a crazy forechecking 3rd line, but spreading those two player out lets two lines have good forechecking ability. Nino will get his time.

kedelbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 09:56 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
I think the rationale is Coyle is a better possession player than Nino. we want to be a possession team so...Idea is to have a solid possession guy on a line with Mikko so Mikko is less afraid to "cheat".

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 10:16 PM
BagHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
I think the rationale is Coyle is a better possession player than Nino. we want to be a possession team so...Idea is to have a solid possession guy on a line with Mikko so Mikko is less afraid to "cheat".
Which was my rationale when I put Moulson-Koivu-Coyle on the 2nd and Nino on the 3rd in my guess at a depth chart after the Moulson trade. Nino is the better offensive player, but he has neither the possession skills of Coyle, nor the chemistry with Koivu.
Nino having better offense is also nice for that 3rd line, because it means it can continue to shut teams down and score the occasional goals like it did when Fontaine was on it.

BagHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 07:41 AM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagHead View Post
Which was my rationale when I put Moulson-Koivu-Coyle on the 2nd and Nino on the 3rd in my guess at a depth chart after the Moulson trade. Nino is the better offensive player, but he has neither the possession skills of Coyle, nor the chemistry with Koivu.
Nino having better offense is also nice for that 3rd line, because it means it can continue to shut teams down and score the occasional goals like it did when Fontaine was on it.
Have to disagree there. I haven't seen much of a chemistry between two and Nino is atleast as good maintaining the puck; he makes better passes and decisions with the puck. Coyle is good on the boards but he rarely makes anything happen when he actually gets the puck.

E: Did I mention the game is played with a puck. C-c-combo.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:08 AM
57special

Not a big issue to me , but I do think that Nino should be rewarded for his superior play by playing on the second line.

It is a nice problem to have, deciding which of the players should be on the third line. Getting Moulson definitely makes our overall forward lines stronger. Would rather see Haula than Brodziak centering the third line. Cooke and Nino are plenty tough enough to make for his lack thereof , and Haula's offensive skills would make that line an offensive threat, as well as still being defensively responsible. The fourth line with Brodziak would be very gritty. Would prefer to see Fontaine out there instead of Heatley ... he deserves it.

Old
03-11-2014, 09:14 AM
TwInS1095

I think our best lineup would probably be...

Parise-Granlund-Pominville
Moulson-Koivu-Coyle
Cooke-Haula-Niederriter
Fontaine-Brodziak-McCormick/Heatley

Suter-Brodin
Spurgeon-Scandella
Stoner-Prosser

PP-1

Parise-Granlund-Pominville

Suter-Spurgeon

PP-2

Moulson-Koivu-Nino

Brodin-Scandella

Old
03-11-2014, 09:21 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
Have to disagree there. I haven't seen much of a chemistry between two and Nino is atleast as good maintaining the puck; he makes better passes and decisions with the puck. Coyle is good on the boards but he rarely makes anything happen when he actually gets the puck.

E: Did I mention the game is played with a puck. C-c-combo.
I agree that Nino is at least good with the puck along the boards. He also has an ability to actually make things happen when he has the puck and is quite a good passer.

Coyle is getting there, but not there yet. His decisions with the puck tend to be more timid and, imo, he does not see the ice as well as Nino - He's decent, just not as good as Nino.

Old
03-11-2014, 09:23 AM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
If your takling possession, in the terms of corsi/fenwick, Nino is a much better possesion player than Coyle.

If your talking possession, as being able to hold the puck in the offensive zone without doing anything with it, sure Coyle may have a leg up there. But give me the guy thats consistently putting the puck on net from dangerous areas.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote