Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick for Torrey Mitchell, 2014 2nd and 2016 2nd

Old
03-05-2014, 07:58 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFletcher View Post
well before last year they haven't had a reason to pay attention.. so yes, I agree.

The Wild won't be overlooked now I feel. They have legitimate lines and if Kuemper plays strong in the playoffs, anything can happen. Wild could lose 4 straight or win the cup, who knows. Realistically, might win one series. I wouldn't bet my money on making it past the second round.

here is to hoping!!!
Going to be awfully tough to beat the Stanley cup favorites in a first round matchup...

Last edited by WildisLaw: 03-05-2014 at 08:07 PM.
WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Hagigun

I am not so sure why everyone is so gung ho over Vanek. I get that he played at the U, but who cares about that. He is really only an offensive player and if he is not scoring goals, he is not helping you at all. He doesn't play the full 200 foot game that Fletcher seems to value.

Parise is worth the money because even if his offense is not at Vanek levels, he is there in leadership, work ethic, defensive play, PK, etc. Pommers tends to dissapear at times, but he is still an all around good solid 200 foot player.

I think our current GM has his value structure in the right place.

Giving up assets for Vanek at the deadline would have been dumb. By all accounst he is ours if we do want him come summer. I am still leery. I really like adding Moulson because he is a guy I would rather have over Vanek when you consider what the salary demands may be. I do not want to get locked in too long with another hefty contracy from an aging veteran. 5 to 5.5 is about as high as I want to go with our forward add next season. If Moulson works out, great. If not, it was worth the chance.

We need to remain flexible as this roster shapes up to compete for a cup in the next few years. Vanek really hamstrings us if he commands 6+ per season.

Keep doing what you are doing Fletch. Things are looking great and I think this trade was great for now, and even into the future if we do sign Moulson. I would like the media to give us props for the move, but all that really matters is how we look on the ice and how we fare down the stretch. The results will tell if this deal was for a rental or a future staple on the roster.

Hagigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 08:16 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

http://m.startribune.com/?id=248670301

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 08:18 PM
tsmbain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Parise - Granlund - Pominville
Moulson - Koivu - Coyle/Nino
Cooke - Brodziak - Nino/Coyle
Heatley* - Haula - Fontaine

*if he's still here
Parise-Granlund-Pominville
Moulson-Koivu-Heatley
Cooke-Coyle-Niederrieter
Haula-Brodziak-Fontaine

tsmbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Russo:
Quote:
Other GM’s were dangling their rentals and asking for prospects like Matt Dumba, Gustav Olofsson and Kurtis Gabriel, Fletcher said, and he had no interest. The other thing that made the Moulson/McCormick swap so intriguing was Fletcher would be able to include Mitchell, who wanted out, in the deal. That’s no slight against Mitchell, but he was playing a fourth-line role, so he’s replaced by the gritty, hard-nosed McCormick and the Wild gets out from under the $2.5 million salary and $1.9 million cap hit Mitchell had owed to him next season. That’ll create more roster and cap flexibility.
GMs were asking for Gabriel... There must be something special about that kid.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Russo:

GMs were asking for Gabriel... There must be something special about that kid.
It's really confusing, not because I think he's going to be a bad player, but I feel like every team already has 1 or 2 guys that are similar.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 08:33 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Quote:
Who does he know on the Wild: “I know Nino a little bit. Zach Parise is good friends with Kyle Okposo so I know him by association, and I was able to text with him. I feel like I know him pretty well just through Kyle Okposo so other than that I don’t know too many guys, I didn’t know too many guys when I went to Buffalo, so I don’t really see that as a problem. The hockey group takes guys in and makes them feel pretty welcome right away
Hopefully Snow will still be the Islanders GM in two years so Fletcher can steal Okposo.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 08:33 PM
PariseSuterKoivu

Kind of jealous of the Sabres getting Fasching. Surprised the Kings moved him too. Moulson deal looks fair enough for us, but it would have been nice to get a young prospect rather than McCormick, who offers little to this roster that some of our younger prospects like Bullmer, Gabriel or Bussieres could have added.

PariseSuterKoivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 08:35 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseSuterKoivu View Post
Kind of jealous of the Sabres getting Fasching. Surprised the Kings moved him too. Moulson deal looks fair enough for us, but it would have been nice to get a young prospect rather than McCormick, who offers little to this roster that some of our younger prospects like Bullmer, Gabriel or Bussieres could have added.
You're not going to get a young prospect from a team that's in full rebuilding mode like the Sabres.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 08:36 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

don't know how this wasn't a good deal even for a rental. big assumption that everyone here subscribes to is that Vanek will sign here. He will play the FA market and you're deluding yourselves if you think he won't press for a lot of money. If it's something Fletcher doesn't feel comfortable shelling out we have an inside track on what should be a better value contract in Moulson and put us in a more comfortable position to really beef up our D and goaltending.
And say what you want about McCormick (i know he's not an important piece of this) I personally hated when we played against him. Dumb as a box of rocks but he pissed me off frequently.

good trade. only reason Vanek went for cheap was they waited too long. we probably did have a better offer in.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 08:38 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseSuterKoivu View Post
The only reason Mccormick is in the deal is for financial reasons. We had to shed cap to get Moulson, thus Torrey Mitchell for Mccormick was added in, also why we had to add another 2nd round pick to accommodate them taking on that extra salary.

Old
03-05-2014, 08:40 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
The only reason Mccormick is in the deal is for financial reasons. We had to shed cap to get Moulson, thus Torrey Mitchell for Mccormick was added in, also why we had to add another 2nd round pick to accommodate them taking on that extra salary.
All true...but McCormick could prove valuable in the playoffs against some of the more physical teams.

Old
03-05-2014, 08:43 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
All true...but McCormick could prove valuable in the playoffs against some of the more physical teams.
Didn't mean to imply otherwise, was just pointing it out in response to the above about them wanting a prospect instead.

A prospect was never going to be an option.

Old
03-05-2014, 08:45 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

at the same time it sounds as though they don't mind that they have the option to field a bigger team. Not like any of the prospects mentioned would be likely to see ice as the playoffs approach. McCormick will probably sub in and out. Better than Rupp IMO.

Old
03-05-2014, 08:45 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Didn't mean to imply otherwise, was just pointing it out in response to the above about them wanting a prospect instead.

A prospect was never going to be an option.
I can't lie...when initial reports were that prospects were going to be swapped, I was praying that Fasching was part of the deal.

Old
03-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Moulson + McCormick + Fasching

for

Mitchell + 2014 1st + 2016 2nd

We keep Winnipeg's 2nd.

Maybe?

Probably not.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 08:51 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Moulson + McCormick + Fasching

for

Mitchell + 2014 1st + 2016 2nd

We keep Winnipeg's 2nd.

Maybe?

Probably not.
I would make that deal in a heart beat.

Old
03-05-2014, 09:30 PM
tyratoku

****!

I just realized Mitchell was traded away. I already photoshopped his picture for the end of the year amazo-GDT I have planned.

Well, I suppose it won't be too hard to do Moulson and/or McCormick.

tyratoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 09:45 PM
melinko

It sucks having to wait 3 full days before getting to see them play again.

Probably better for the team though.

melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 09:48 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

kinda nice to have a couple days practice to at least look somewhat up to speed on a new team.

Old
03-05-2014, 10:07 PM
kfan22

Quote:
So Bryz, Moulson and Mccormick all will arrive tomorrow and just like Pominville last year will get immediate exposure to Hockey at it's core here with the start of the AA Tournament!

Remember reading how amazed Pominville was looking out from the tunnel last year.
trade deadline was the end of March last year so Pominville wouldnt have seen the high school tournament

kfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 10:19 PM
Lapa
Global Moderator
Road Ice Advantage

vCash: 1068
I like this deal a lot. Good job, GMCF.

Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 10:31 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
What I'm very curious about is what Snow was asking for Vanek from us. If Vanek only returned a 2nd and a prospect could we have gotten him for a 2nd and Zucker?

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 10:35 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Reliable NonSequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
What I'm very curious about is what Snow was asking for Vanek from us. If Vanek only returned a 2nd and a prospect could we have gotten him for a 2nd and Zucker?
Yeah but then we would have given up Zucker when we didn't need to.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 10:36 PM
Generic User
From Concentrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
I will bet that was Buffalo's bottom line for us. Fletcher must be confident he can get him for free (if he wants him long-term at all) if he turned that down.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote