HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[DET/NSH] David Legwand to Detroit for Patrick Eaves + Calle Jarnkrok + 3rd rd pick

Old
03-08-2014, 01:35 AM
Adityase

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Adityase
Quote:
Originally Posted by P U L L H A R D View Post
There's a ton of Wings envy in this thread, and despite not liking this trade, I love being reassured that people are still jealous of our team.
It sounds to me like fans of other teams are trying to talk us off the ledge by telling us how great we've had it. We should be grateful, really.

We've had it good. Let's not forget it.

Adityase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 01:48 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySolace View Post
Yeah, cause he could confirm it, right?
Ah yes. The ever-popular distrust of professional athletes. What they say about their own situation and their ideas about their own future cannot be taken as truth. What can be taken as more likely is the speculation of people who are not the athlete.

It's a possibility that he goes back. If he completely bombs then I'd expect to see him return to Sweden. In the meantime, I'm going to go with what the kid himself has said. Maybe I'm just not as jaded as I once thought I was.

It looks like both Jarnkrok and Legwand had good first games with their new teams. Good to see Leggy stepping right in and contributing

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by P U L L H A R D View Post
There's a ton of Wings envy in this thread, and despite not liking this trade, I love being reassured that people are still jealous of our team.
Not really, but about the trade...

Seems like the Wings gave up a lot, I do think Legwand will re-sign with the Wings though, so it might not be bad, although they would not have needed Legwand if they didn't sign Weiss, that one is bad, real bad. So because of that, they gave up a serviceable 4th liner and a prospect a lot of wings fans were high on and a lot of scouts in general as well as a 3rd.

This is one of those trades that the Preds have to see how it works out for them in a few years, I think they were walking away from Legwand anyway though.

People always get really crazy about a player when he joins a new team after the deadline, I mean so many guys put up points at a pace they normally don't after the deadline. I think Legwand is a good fit for Detroit though, the guy would be a good fit anywhere though.

I really want to see how Calle turns out though.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 02:16 AM
Tomas W

So right now both Detroit and Nashville can be happy with the trade, that's all good I suppose...

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 02:56 AM
Goalie guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Line View Post
And the Blues got knocked in the first round.... so what does that mean?

Is that the best you can do?
Thank you!

Goalie guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 02:57 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Ah yes. The ever-popular distrust of professional athletes. What they say about their own situation and their ideas about their own future cannot be taken as truth. What can be taken as more likely is the speculation of people who are not the athlete.

It's a possibility that he goes back. If he completely bombs then I'd expect to see him return to Sweden. In the meantime, I'm going to go with what the kid himself has said. Maybe I'm just not as jaded as I once thought I was.

It looks like both Jarnkrok and Legwand had good first games with their new teams. Good to see Leggy stepping right in and contributing
His situation is drastically different in terms of where it was before 3pm on Wednesday. I know we aren't big on using peoples first hand accounts, but where this rumor all started and took off was from it coming directly out of Jarnkrok's mouth over in Sweden during Christmas break. It did so in an environment where he didn't have a microphone pushed in his face and had no reason to play nice. The Swedish press does love to link him to things back home or staying home even this fall they said he might not come over and the Wings laughed it off, so get used to some of those reports.

Now lets say the situation is totally different now in Nashville, I really hope it is I want Jarnkrok to stay in the NHL he is a heck of a talent. However, there are reasons that are out there to question whether or not this pertained to Detroit, Holland's comment on Jarnkrok/his agent being antsy also needs to be taken into account, as does the fact with the connections the Wings have in Sweden if he had started talking to Brynas they would likely know.

Two sides to that picture, is Holland lying about the antsy factor, was Jarnkrok 100% committed to Detroit anymore, probably somewhere in the middle in terms of what the situation really is. His odds are much better of staying stateside and cracking the Preds though and since I don't really look at Legwand as a pure rental situation I think both sides did well.

Another way of looking at it too if I am a Preds fan is as long as he stays I don't care about the Sweden rumor in the way it impacted Detroit. One of the things Holland has done very well in his tenure is dumping off the right prospects, really Fleischmann is the best owned prospect we have parted with. If it did play out this way, it means they didn't question his talent or dump him for something they found out they didn't like and that is a good thing given their track record of developing forwards. They got pushed up against it and the fact that Legwand is a very good player likely to stay in Detroit was enough for Holland and Poile had done a good job of convincing him into this as a solution. Interestingly, I don't think they do this if they are in the same division still, also after years of hearing how these two are friends and have a ton of respect for each other they instantly pull off a trade the first year out of that tricky divisional situation.

Ultimately either franchise could have played hardball here, he is under contract in the NHL. If they don't want him going back he cannot, he would be suspended by the IIHF and likewise the SHL if he attempts doing it without their blessing. At that point the writing is kind of on the wall though in terms of his upcoming RFA deal.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 03:27 AM
obey86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Not really, but about the trade...

Seems like the Wings gave up a lot, I do think Legwand will re-sign with the Wings though, so it might not be bad, although they would not have needed Legwand if they didn't sign Weiss, that one is bad, real bad. So because of that, they gave up a serviceable 4th liner and a prospect a lot of wings fans were high on and a lot of scouts in general as well as a 3rd.

This is one of those trades that the Preds have to see how it works out for them in a few years, I think they were walking away from Legwand anyway though.

People always get really crazy about a player when he joins a new team after the deadline, I mean so many guys put up points at a pace they normally don't after the deadline. I think Legwand is a good fit for Detroit though, the guy would be a good fit anywhere though.

I really want to see how Calle turns out though.
Legwand definitely plays a Detroit style game. It will be interesting to see what he can do with some better offensive talent than what he had in Nashville.

obey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 03:44 AM
ap3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3x View Post
Too much competition for him, being called up right now. Meanwhile time's running out and sooner or later he would have gone back to Sweden anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
He has denied saying he plans to return to Sweden, so saying he will eventually return is only speculation on your part at this point in time. He should get a legitimate shot at top six minutes in Nashville next season as long as he shows up to camp prepared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I think what the poster meant was that "if things don't pan out, eventually he'll go back to Sweden," which is true of most European players. I don't think he meant "he's inevitably going back to Sweden anyway"
That's what i meant. Thanks for stepping in.

ap3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 08:30 AM
Deja Lu
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 504

Legwand in his new uniform.

Deja Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 08:34 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Love this trade for Detroit, see Legwand having some very good years there. Detroit is definitely back with this trade, dos decadas and still counting. "It feels like first time. It feels like the very first time!" That was awesome.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 09:29 AM
Birko19

I like Legwand, but this is what Kenny gave up

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 09:51 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
It's a good deal for both sides. With Dats and Zetterberg still playing well but aging, you have to keep trying to win now. Kronwall is getting up there too, time to win and Legwand is an outstanding acquisition for that particular team.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19 View Post
I like Legwand, but this is what Kenny gave up

NHL>>>>>>>>AHL wait until Barry Trotz starts "coaching" him.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 12:51 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
His situation is drastically different in terms of where it was before 3pm on Wednesday. I know we aren't big on using peoples first hand accounts, but where this rumor all started and took off was from it coming directly out of Jarnkrok's mouth over in Sweden during Christmas break. It did so in an environment where he didn't have a microphone pushed in his face and had no reason to play nice. The Swedish press does love to link him to things back home or staying home even this fall they said he might not come over and the Wings laughed it off, so get used to some of those reports.

Now lets say the situation is totally different now in Nashville, I really hope it is I want Jarnkrok to stay in the NHL he is a heck of a talent. However, there are reasons that are out there to question whether or not this pertained to Detroit, Holland's comment on Jarnkrok/his agent being antsy also needs to be taken into account, as does the fact with the connections the Wings have in Sweden if he had started talking to Brynas they would likely know.

Two sides to that picture, is Holland lying about the antsy factor, was Jarnkrok 100% committed to Detroit anymore, probably somewhere in the middle in terms of what the situation really is. His odds are much better of staying stateside and cracking the Preds though and since I don't really look at Legwand as a pure rental situation I think both sides did well.

Another way of looking at it too if I am a Preds fan is as long as he stays I don't care about the Sweden rumor in the way it impacted Detroit. One of the things Holland has done very well in his tenure is dumping off the right prospects, really Fleischmann is the best owned prospect we have parted with. If it did play out this way, it means they didn't question his talent or dump him for something they found out they didn't like and that is a good thing given their track record of developing forwards. They got pushed up against it and the fact that Legwand is a very good player likely to stay in Detroit was enough for Holland and Poile had done a good job of convincing him into this as a solution. Interestingly, I don't think they do this if they are in the same division still, also after years of hearing how these two are friends and have a ton of respect for each other they instantly pull off a trade the first year out of that tricky divisional situation.

Ultimately either franchise could have played hardball here, he is under contract in the NHL. If they don't want him going back he cannot, he would be suspended by the IIHF and likewise the SHL if he attempts doing it without their blessing. At that point the writing is kind of on the wall though in terms of his upcoming RFA deal.
Fair points. I fully expect Nashville to give him a good chance at cracking the top six as soon as next season, like I said earlier. If he gets that chance and still bolts it speaks to his desire to play in Sweden rather than in North America, and there isn't anything that anyone can do to change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3x View Post
That's what i meant. Thanks for stepping in.
Fair enough. The way it was worded made me think you were saying he is definitely going back to Sweden.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote