HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post Vanek Lineups

Old
03-11-2014, 07:39 AM
Milhouse40

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I see where you're going, and it has its interesting points. Rolling lines evenly at ES becomes somewhat of a possibility with a top 9 of:

Vanek - Galchenyuk - Briere
Eller - Plekanec - Gionta
MaxPac - DD - Gallagher

Order is unimportant if lines are rolled, Galchenyuk has Briere allowing him to be semi-aggressive transitioning into a tough face off-taking centre (not to mention our two most talented forwards - AINEC - somewhat logically get put together), and special teams have lots of possible combinations (heck, we've seen DD+MaxPac kill penalties together), but it's still not my ideal way to line them up.
DD don't play on the PK....Pacioretty is playing with Eller on the PK.....

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 07:45 AM
angry pirate

The last month of a playoff season is not the time to transition Galchenyuk into a centre. If you want to give him a chance as a winger in the top 6 than fine, but putting him between Vanek and Briere right now is a recipe for disaster.

I'm sure these lines have probably been posted or suggested, but here's my take on it.

Pacioretty - DD - Gallagher
Why split up our most productive line?

Vanek - Plekanec - Gionta
Given some time to develop Chemistry, Vanek should fit in just about anywhere's. We've needed a LW for plekanec's line all season. Why move Vanek to his off wing just cause? He fits the exact need we need on this line, maybe we give it a shot for more than 1 game?

Galchenyuk - Eller - Briere
Galchenyuk's produced with Eller before. This line sees as much even strength time as the rest of the top 9 and Chucky doesn't get exposed to Center down the stretch.

Moen - Prust - Weise - White
Rotate a combination of these guys throughout the 4th line.

Bournival / Bourque - top 9 depth.

angry pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 07:50 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
He said they have, not that they do right now.

DD has played some PK minutes, just not a lot.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 08:04 AM
WillHabs12
Lalime's awkwardness

Vanek - Galchenyuk - Brière
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher
Prust - Plekanec - Gionta
Moen - Eller - Weise/White

Tinordi - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Murray - Weaver

Price
Tokarski

Boudahge

WillHabs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 08:05 AM
Milhouse40

Stop putting Briere at center on the top 9
The Habs are 1-7-1 in games where Briere was on our top 9 as center.
In those games, Habs have allowed 35 goals (3.88 goal per games)

Stop putting Eller on the wing of Plekanec
The Habs are 1-4-0 in games where Eller has been used there.
And they allowed 23 goals (4.6 goal per games)

Pacioretty-DD-Gallagher have been our most productive line in the last 40ish games.
But they also got a giant chunk of offensive advantages such as First Wave PP, top D-men, top O-zone start, Top match-up.

With Vanek....i don't care which line he play, but he's getting some of that.
And smartly, he should get the biggest chunk of those advantages.

So that PAc-DD-Gally line, which produce with those advantages, will produce a lot less if that happen. Cause since they already take almost all of those advantages, they will be the one loosing some.

Having said that, Plekanec is our shutdown/2-way center.
That won't change cause we don't have anybody, or any line can be built to do that job without Plekanec. If we gave them Offensive advantages, the Pac-DD-Gally will loose some but they'll also get some defensive duties in return....that's what's happens the last game and they look really bad in those conditions.

There's not many options IMO.

Either we break the Pac-DD-Gally line, which would produce less cause Vanek will be on another line and will be given offensive duties anyway, no matters who he will be playing with.

Either Therrien get his head out of his ass and realize this is not a defensive/grinding team, and switch back to his 2-man agressive forecheck, puck-possession, offensive style and the Habs goes all-in offensively.....in that system, Vanek can be playing with Plekanec.

Old
03-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post

He played about 10 minutes since Therrien's arrival......
Pacioretty played about 5 minutes last year...he started playing PK this year (To make sure to make the US team)

So, nope....they didn't play PK together, at least not since Therrien is here!

Old
03-11-2014, 08:17 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
He played about 10 minutes since Therrien's arrival......
Pacioretty played about 5 minutes last year...he started playing PK this year (To make sure to make the US team)

So, nope....they didn't play PK together, at least not since Therrien is here!
I clearly remember seeing Pacioretty and DD on a PK shift early in the season.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 08:18 AM
rockjngo

I say give the Vanek-Desharnais-Pacioretty line a chance. Patches gets most of his goals on the right side anyways. Dad will have two targets to pass to rather than the typical play to Pactches. Also it's better to roll three lines rather than one. Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher needs to be out back together. Briere-Plekanec-Gionta had some success so why not out them together. Prust-White-Moen should be our checking line with Bournival and Weise looking from the outside. Put Bourque and Parros on waivers

rockjngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 08:23 AM
sventington

Yeah I would like to see those lines used for a few consecutive games as well.

sventington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
I clearly remember seeing Pacioretty and DD on a PK shift early in the season.
Not saying they never ever played on the PK, but DD is not a regular....Bournival played more often on the PK than he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
I say give the Vanek-Desharnais-Pacioretty line a chance. Patches gets most of his goals on the right side anyways. Dad will have two targets to pass to rather than the typical play to Pactches. Also it's better to roll three lines rather than one. Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher needs to be out back together. Briere-Plekanec-Gionta had some success so why not out them together. Prust-White-Moen should be our checking line with Bournival and Weise looking from the outside. Put Bourque and Parros on waivers
I don't have a problem with Vanek-DD-Pac. At least for a try-out.
But briere will be playing against the thoughest opposition, in a shutdown role???

That won't happen, or if it does, Moen will take his place as soon as the Habs gets the lead.
Unless Therrien goes back to his old system

Old
03-11-2014, 08:27 AM
durojean

Moen Plekanec Gionta - defensive line that plays against the best.
Vanek Desharnais Pacioretty - big offensive advantage exploitation line
Galchenyuk Eller Gallagher - kids line developping (no pressure)
Weise Brière White - fourth line that could chip in.

I'd be curious to try White with Pleky...

At this point I don't believe in Plekanec putting offensive number at the end of the season. Never did and never will. So play him to his strenght by adding a good defensive player to play with him.

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Bro, Desharnais and Pacioretty played a 31 second penalty-killing shift together in the 3rd period on Saturday, just in case you weren't paying attention. So like I suggested, we've pretty much already seen it all when it comes to what combinations Therrien's willing to put out on a penalty kill.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Well... if not EGG, maybe Glachenyuk can center his line? If nothing else it would be good for his development. Add in Gallagher and see what they can do. Would be nice to have Vanek be happy enough to stay here.

Vanek Galchenyuk Gallagher
Max DD Bourque
Eller Pleks Gionta

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 12:37 PM
JAVO16

Therrien's line matching skills start and end with his capacity to put the DD line for offensive faceoffs and the Plekanec line for defensive ones when facing offensively potent adversaries. We could go with an ultra-exploitation line of Vanek-DD-Pacioretty and keep Plekanec with Gionta and another strong defensive forward. This would leave the EGG line as a secondary exploitation line and we could ice a strong fourth line as secondary defensive option.

I don't really like this option because we play either Pacioretty or Vanek on a side they aren't comfortable with. This might affect how effective they are and since these 2 guys are our best offensive weapons, you want them to be as effective as possible. I also think loading up the DD line makes the rest of our lineup too easy to counter IMO and these guys don't have an all-around game or the game-breaking talent to go against the best lines like Ottawa's Pizza line of old.

My lines would be:

Vanek-Plekanec-Brière

I want to see Plekanec play with a strong offensive player like Vanek. Like others have said, Plekanec has been saddled with non-creative players like Moen & Gionta a lot since Cammy was traded and I want to see if he can get back that offensive flair he showed with Kovalev and Cammy. Since Therrien seems to be intent on giving Plekanec's line more offensive zone start because of the addition of Vanek, I think we can take Gionta away and leave Plekanec as the defensive anchor of that line. Brière brings more creativity and skill than Gionta and less plays will die on his stick than on Gionta's stick. Also, he's got experience playing with skilled player and even some experience playing with Vanek which might prove a plus. Finally, Vanek is most often attacking the slot, so I think that Brière as a skilled guy around the net can help Vanek more in that area than Gionta.

Pacioretty-DD-Gionta

Since the Plekanec line will be given more offensive zone starts and the DD line's offensive starts will suffer, I think we need a bit more defensive conscience on this line. That's why I think replacing Gally with Gionta would help. Also, I don't think this will hinder the Patches-DD duo too much since they used Gally mostly as a decoy when they score and I think that Gionta can do that job perfectly fine will bringing some defensive savvy.

EGG

This is mainly to spark back Eller. Galchenyuk could play right wing with Plekanec and Vanek right now, but I think that having a productive Eller will be important for us to win playoff games. This line has proven success.

Prust-White-Moen

This line is reliable defensively, but I don't think they have the ability to face the top opposing lines.

Last edited by JAVO16: 03-11-2014 at 12:44 PM.
JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 01:11 PM
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Therrien's line matching skills start and end with his capacity to put the DD line for offensive faceoffs and the Plekanec line for defensive ones when facing offensively potent adversaries. We could go with an ultra-exploitation line of Vanek-DD-Pacioretty and keep Plekanec with Gionta and another strong defensive forward. This would leave the EGG line as a secondary exploitation line and we could ice a strong fourth line as secondary defensive option.

I don't really like this option because we play either Pacioretty or Vanek on a side they aren't comfortable with. This might affect how effective they are and since these 2 guys are our best offensive weapons, you want them to be as effective as possible. I also think loading up the DD line makes the rest of our lineup too easy to counter IMO and these guys don't have an all-around game or the game-breaking talent to go against the best lines like Ottawa's Pizza line of old.

My lines would be:

Vanek-Plekanec-Brière

I want to see Plekanec play with a strong offensive player like Vanek. Like others have said, Plekanec has been saddled with non-creative players like Moen & Gionta a lot since Cammy was traded and I want to see if he can get back that offensive flair he showed with Kovalev and Cammy. Since Therrien seems to be intent on giving Plekanec's line more offensive zone start because of the addition of Vanek, I think we can take Gionta away and leave Plekanec as the defensive anchor of that line. Brière brings more creativity and skill than Gionta and less plays will die on his stick than on Gionta's stick. Also, he's got experience playing with skilled player and even some experience playing with Vanek which might prove a plus. Finally, Vanek is most often attacking the slot, so I think that Brière as a skilled guy around the net can help Vanek more in that area than Gionta.

Pacioretty-DD-Gionta

Since the Plekanec line will be given more offensive zone starts and the DD line's offensive starts will suffer, I think we need a bit more defensive conscience on this line. That's why I think replacing Gally with Gionta would help. Also, I don't think this will hinder the Patches-DD duo too much since they used Gally mostly as a decoy when they score and I think that Gionta can do that job perfectly fine will bringing some defensive savvy.

EGG

This is mainly to spark back Eller. Galchenyuk could play right wing with Plekanec and Vanek right now, but I think that having a productive Eller will be important for us to win playoff games. This line has proven success.

Prust-White-Moen

This line is reliable defensively, but I don't think they have the ability to face the top opposing lines.
I support this post. If we wish it enough it will happen. I truly believe that. Karma++

Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 05:10 AM
The Right Price

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CH 14-15
FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($3.500m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.685m)
Thomas Vanek ($7.500m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Daniel Briere ($4.000m)
Michael Bournival ($0.660m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($0.925m) / Mike Cammalleri ($5.000m)
Brandon Prust ($2.500m) / Joonas Nattinen ($0.825m) / Tom Pyatt ($0.850m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Dale Weise ($1.050m)
DEFENSEMEN
Jarred Tinordi ($0.870m) / P.K. Subban ($8.000m)
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($4.100m)
Nathan Beaulieu ($0.925m) / Josh Gorges ($3.900m)
Greg Pateryn ($0.750m) /
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
BUYOUTS
Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)
Scott Gomez ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,040,000; BONUSES: $3,257,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $60,000

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 05:13 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CH 14-15
FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($3.500m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.685m)
Thomas Vanek ($7.500m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Daniel Briere ($4.000m)
Michael Bournival ($0.660m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($0.925m) / Mike Cammalleri ($5.000m)
Brandon Prust ($2.500m) / Joonas Nattinen ($0.825m) / Tom Pyatt ($0.850m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Dale Weise ($1.050m)
DEFENSEMEN
Jarred Tinordi ($0.870m) / P.K. Subban ($8.000m)
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($4.100m)
Nathan Beaulieu ($0.925m) / Josh Gorges ($3.900m)
Greg Pateryn ($0.750m) /
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
BUYOUTS
Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)
Scott Gomez ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,040,000; BONUSES: $3,257,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $60,000
Sure, Cammy back in Habsland to play on the 3rd line...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 06:26 AM
The Right Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Sure, Cammy back in Habsland to play on the 3rd line...
Well, those lines aren't set in stone now are they? And as far as I remember Cammy doesn't hold a grudge against the organisation as a whole (maybe against Gauthier who knows) but I am sure he is aware that we have a new GM.

The point of the my CapGeek is to show that we can afford to resign Vanek, Subban and Markov and still be able to add a RW (maybe also as part of Eller trade?) as long as we get rid of Bourque!

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 06:42 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post

grand total of 7 minutes SH for DD...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 08:11 AM
BadHabit

Briere-Plekanec-Vanek
Try to see if Vanek and Briere can show any chemistry together.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gionta
Leave Patches and Desharnais together, drop Gionta in and hope he hustles like Gallagher.

Eller-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Re-unite the EGG line with Galchenyuk centering.

Moen-Prust-Wiese/White
I think this is a good 4th line.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 08:12 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post

My lines would be:

Vanek-Plekanec-Brière

Pacioretty-DD-Gionta

EGG

Prust-White-Moen

Hey I agree - see my post lol. I apparently missed yours until now.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 08:19 AM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 135
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Vanek
Briere- Plekanec - Gionta
Eller - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Bournival/Moen/Prust - White - Weise

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 11:18 AM
zzoo

Without Vanek, we won some and lost some. The losses were by 1 goal margin.
With Vanek, Habs lost the last 3 games, with at least 3 goals difference ! What's going on ??? We should get better with Vanek, not the opposite.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 03:39 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Without Vanek, we won some and lost some. The losses were by 1 goal margin.
With Vanek, Habs lost the last 3 games, with at least 3 goals difference ! What's going on ??? We should get better with Vanek, not the opposite.
Vanek is a poison. We need to send him home ala Kovalev. Bergevin

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 05:56 PM
LeHabsMan

Max Pacioretty - David Desharnais - Thomas Vanek / Scoring line
Alex Galchenyuk - Tomas Plekanec - Brendan Gallagher / Scoring line
Danny Briere - Lars Eller - Brian Gionta / Shutdown + scoring depth
Brandon Prust - Ryan White - Travis Moen / Grinding line
- Dale Weise
- Rene Bourque