HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline V (the postscript)

Old
03-14-2014, 04:04 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
They have pretty distinct playing styles so I don't quite agree with that.
And I'm not saying they're going to be similar players-- I'm saying I can see them both having a similar flaw of never being strong 5v5 players. And I don't think you can get away with having more than one of those guys getting regular minutes at a time.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 04:17 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
And I'm not saying they're going to be similar players-- I'm saying I can see them both having a similar flaw of never being strong 5v5 players. And I don't think you can get away with having more than one of those guys getting regular minutes at a time.
I don't know why you assume one or both of them will be a liability 5v5. Even if you think Gostisbehere is some 165 pound fourth forward, Hagg is going to be more of a defensive guy than an offensive guy. He's big and can skate. Unless you think he'll get walked around consistently, like the GWG in the WJCs.

It's too soon to worry about that stuff.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 04:48 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I don't know why you assume one or both of them will be a liability 5v5. Even if you think Gostisbehere is some 165 pound fourth forward, Hagg is going to be more of a defensive guy than an offensive guy. He's big and can skate. Unless you think he'll get walked around consistently, like the GWG in the WJCs.

It's too soon to worry about that stuff.
I didn't say either will be a liability; just that I think it's unlikely that we end up with two players here who are capable of going toe to toe with top match ups and key defensive zone situations. Think of how we had to shelter Carle, and that's what I'm getting at.

And I'm not assuming anything. I'm just saying the odds are against us that we end up with hits on both these players. It's much more likely that one or both end up with debilitating flaws that hamper their overall effectiveness than us getting two players capable of playing big minutes at any time.

Also, my amateur scouting report (admittedly worth very little) on Hagg is that he's an extremely effective player in transition with good instincts on the point, but his game in front of his net is prone to making gaffes and bad reads from time to time. I think while he was great overall at the WJC, his role was somewhat miscast for his skill set. Sweden was such a good team overall, that it wasn't exactly noticeable, but I think his strengths with the puck are greater than his game without it and that will be more pronounced at the NHL level.

Similarly with Gostisbehere, his defensive game is in unknown territory right now. He's so talented for NCAA hockey that we really don't know how to project his game to the next level yet. My projection is based on nothing more than his skill set, historical patterns with these types of players, and probabilities of young two-way defensemen rounding out their games.

Again, I said earlier that I was projecting too much, and that's obvious. I'm not assuming anything. I'm just making my prediction based on the general odds of players developing according to the best possible outcome.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 05:01 PM
Rolex

Ghostisbehere has skills and weaknesses. Like all players his success will depend on how he is used by the coach. He'd be no better as a crease clearer than Grossmann would be as QB on the PP. The coach will have to put him in situations to succeed. Who is paired with will matter as well.

Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote