HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Iron Hook Cometh

Old
03-27-2014, 08:19 PM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

vCash: 500
Congrats on bending Holland over in this trade.

VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 09:21 PM
alexmanu

He reminds me a bit of Legwand in how he skates.

alexmanu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 03:23 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
Nice goal. He got tee'd up there pretty good by his teammate.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 08:01 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Welcome to the EPGES list, Calle Jarnkrok!

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 08:15 AM
Preds33

Was looking through the game pics from last night's game and the size difference in this picture cracked me up. I know it's just the angle of the picture.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

A perfect caption for that picture would be: "You mad bro?"

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 11:10 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

What a fantastic trade. This is a true bright spot for David Poile after three years of complete failure. Calle is already a 2nd line center on this team. He possesses the puck better than 95% of the forwards. He goes to the gaps on the ice. He plays smart two way hockey. I love his game.

03-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Say what you will about Poile signing and drafting forwards, but he has pulled two incredible trades to get Calle and Forsberg. I'm almost being drawn to wanting to keep him after this.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 11:56 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Say what you will about Poile signing and drafting forwards, but he has pulled two incredible trades to get Calle and Forsberg. I'm almost being drawn to wanting to keep him after this.
still uncertain on MDZ trade - I understand it though
Witt for a 1st, Gaustad for a 1st,

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 01:01 PM
Laista

Send a message via MSN to Laista Send a message via Skype™ to Laista
Check out the pass with 6,30 left of the third! He shows great vision and quick thinking. We can stop discuss IF he fits in the NHL.
He´got it!

Laista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laista View Post
Check out the pass with 6,30 left of the third! He shows great vision and quick thinking. We can stop discuss IF he fits in the NHL.
He´got it!
I'm watching the replay right now ... agreed, filthy pass ... was with 6:50 left, Smith should've scored

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 03:54 PM
Johnz96*

vCash: 511
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=447435

Quote:
And, for the Red Wings, even with all the great contributions they are getting from young players this season, they may soon rue the day they surrendered Jarnkrok.

Johnz96* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

I'm so glad he was developed under the Red Wings system and not the Predators. An actual scorer for once until he gets Trotzed

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 08:55 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Another assist

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 09:12 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
I'm so glad he was developed under the Red Wings system and not the Predators. An actual scorer for once until he gets Trotzed
Kid with some talent comes in and Trotz puts him in a lot of situations. And this is how the Trotz bashers will try to still bash Trotz from it

Jarnonk has been good from what I've seen. But to expect him to keep up a better scoring pace than he was in the AHL is getting ahead of yourselves...

Last edited by dulzhok: 03-28-2014 at 09:33 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 09:23 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
What? If anything, Trotz is gushing over the kid. Last night when he was asked about Jarnkrok's first NHL goal Trotz only wanted to talk about how good defensively the kid is.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 09:41 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
What? If anything, Trotz is gushing over the kid. Last night when he was asked about Jarnkrok's first NHL goal Trotz only wanted to talk about how good defensively the kid is.
Which is his problem he only notices how players perform defensively. Remember how hot Smith was in his first few games. What happened when his defensive play started to lack. Wait until this kid makes a bad defensive decision he will get benched.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 09:48 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Which is his problem he only notices how players perform defensively. Remember how hot Smith was in his first few games. What happened when his defensive play started to lack. Wait until this kid makes a bad defensive decision he will get benched.
He already has.

Watch the NHL. Rookies taking the NHL by storm is commonplace -- I could make list 100 people long that scored great their first 10-15 games in the NHL only to come back down to earth. Craig Smith was not a good scorer in the NCAA. Trotz if anything should be applauded for getting him where he is today.

Old
03-28-2014, 09:54 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Dulz, that simply is not true.

Smith played 2 years of college hockey and he was a PPG player his sophomore year, and was so effective he was invited to the USA world championship team where he had 3g3a in 7 games. Poile and Trotz were practically dancing for joy when they got him to sign and forgo his last 2 years of college, and it wasn't because he was a great defensive center in college.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 10:04 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Trotz is not the reason for Smith's scoring... We brought him over from college because of his play and especially scoring during the world championships on top of his college play

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 10:05 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Dulz, that simply is not true.

Smith played 2 years of college hockey and he was a PPG player his sophomore year, and was so effective he was invited to the USA world championship team where he had 3g3a in 7 games. Poile and Trotz were practically dancing for joy when they got him to sign and forgo his last 2 years of college, and it wasn't because he was a great defensive center in college.
Craig Smith was an overage college player. He was 20 years old as a "freshman" because of his time in the USHL. He scored 8 goals as 20 year old.

For comparison,
Parise put up 61p in 39g as 18 year old.
St Louis 51p in 33g as 18 year old
List goes on and on.

Yes Poile was excited for Craig Smith, but that goes to our lack of talent in the system, not the overwhelming talent that Craig Smith was.

He's turned out well under Trotz.

Old
03-28-2014, 10:20 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Debating with you is like debating with a circle. Round and round it goes. Facts are meaningless.

You cannot arbitrarily dismiss statistics because it doesn't suit your point. St. Louis is a potential HOF. Parise is headed down that path as well. Your comparables are asinine. You said Smith couldn't score in college, and yet he did. He earned his role as a freshman (overager, true) that made it to the final four. He became a scoring leader the following year. HE then proceeded to excel at the Worlds against professional players with only a NCAA experience. Trotz and Poile were smitten with him.

In other words, he did well in the USHL, did well in the NCAA, did well in the IIHF tournaments, got signed in Nashville, started out the season on fire, and then ....

Well he ended up his first year playing on the fourth line. Essentially stayed on the third/fourth line last season. Started out there this year, until he forced himself onto a scoring line with consistent goal scoring. Trotz scratched this guy for 2 games, despite production, for Rich Clune ... because he wanted more of an energy feel on the ice.

Come on man.

Not everyone is a Trotz produced stud. Not everything is on Poile. I agree, clearly, that management needs blame. So does Trotz.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 10:29 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Debating with you is like debating with a circle. Round and round it goes. Facts are meaningless.
All I gave you were facts. Smith scored 8 goals as 20 year old in the NCAA. I did not say he couldn't score in college, I said he wasn't a good scorer in the college. Maybe I should clarify... He wasn't a good scorer in college compared to the other NCAA players who turned into consistent NHL scorers.. and Smith was a couple years older than them to boot.

IIHF tournaments are a joke. It's an opportunity for those guys who can't make the olympics to play for their country.. if they happen to be out of the playoffs. And then a bunch of other amateurs.

Poile's got "smitten" with a lot of people at the IIHF tournaments. Other ones: Linus Klassen, Peter Tenrat, Patrick Kjellberg, Marian Cisar, etc, etc. He puts way too much stock in that laughable tournament.

Smith was FAR from a shoe-in to become a scorer in the NHL.

No we don't have a lot of offensive studs on our roster. But that's not because of the coach...

Last edited by dulzhok: 03-28-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old
03-28-2014, 10:55 PM
dulzhok

Here's a good NCAA stats comparable for Smith: Rich Peverley.

Even though Peverly greatly outproduced Smith as 20 yr old (we'll give Smith the benefit of doubt since it was his 1st year in that league), they had similar production as 21 yr old in college.

Peverley went on score over 20 goals once in his career, while playing 1st line minutes with Kovalchuk.

If Smiths' only year over 20 goals is this year, no telling what the Trotz kills offense crowd will do...

But wait, isn't Peverley the prime example of how Trotz kills offense? Now we are in circles.

Old
03-29-2014, 07:26 AM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Here's a good NCAA stats comparable for Smith: Rich Peverley.

Even though Peverly greatly outproduced Smith as 20 yr old (we'll give Smith the benefit of doubt since it was his 1st year in that league), they had similar production as 21 yr old in college.

Peverley went on score over 20 goals once in his career, while playing 1st line minutes with Kovalchuk.

If Smiths' only year over 20 goals is this year, no telling what the Trotz kills offense crowd will do...

But wait, isn't Peverley the prime example of how Trotz kills offense? Now we are in circles.

Not saying Trotz does or does not kill offense. But your post basically said...

Peverley scored before coming to Trotz.
Peverley scored after leaving Trotz.
Trotz does not kill offense.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote