HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unite for a Snow/Wang must go Rally at NVMC (3/18)

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2014, 07:28 AM
NewYorkIsles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
If it helps you guys, the Walkout on Wang was mentioned on both TSN and Sportsnet in Canada.
That certainly does help

Old
03-08-2014, 07:29 AM
NewYorkIsles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PYb_anBMus btw this classic Animal House clip perfectly fits the situation!

Old
03-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Junkie View Post
I hate to be debbie downer here, but you know what will happen. about 250-500 of you guys will get up & walk out and the remaining 10k in the building will watch the rest of the game.

sorry, but you just aren't going to find enough people willing to spend x amount on tickets & then walk out. regardless, not showing up at all is probably more effective than paying for a ticket and then walking out.
I'm really hoping I'm wrong, but I pretty much agree this is what will probably happen. Another issue is that people who despise Wang like myself, are not going to buy tickets to a game (thus putting money into his pockets) just to make a statement. That said, if I did have tix already I'd be glad to join you.

Old
03-08-2014, 09:46 AM
desperado462

Walking out, going to the league offices (which will do NOTHING BTW) or any of that stuff won't help. Wang has been losing money on this team for years and has somehow managed to pay the bills, which is all the NHL cares about. You need to start fresh next year by NOT BUYING TICKETS..don't buy any, don't renew your season tickets. He already has the season ticket money for this year..he doesn't care..if 7000 season tickets are sold, its 7000 added to the attendance total whether people show up to sit in those seats or not. And chant Snow must go all you want, as long as Wang isn't willing to spend the money you could get the best GM in hockey to run this team and he will only be able to do so much. And lets not forget, the new arena is smaller and not built for hockey with some crappy sight lines..I don't see how this is going to entice players to want to play for them..Snow is a puppet, doing EXACTLY what he is told and won't stand up to Wang so he isn't going anywhere unfortunately..you need to cut the head off the snake to kill it..it ill just regenerate if you don't

Old
03-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Thatguystevie

I don't get the posters on this board... They constantly complain that the islanders get snubbed by the media but think that the media will pick up a story about >1,000 fans walking out in the middle of a period then going back before the game is over. I mean do you guys really think that Newsday, the paper that has representatives at every game and is clearly in some kind of partnership with the isles organization, is going to devote anything more than a 2x3 blurb buried somewhere in the back of the sports section to this "protest"? Even the isles coaching staff, who you all think are incompetent, could come up with something more effective than this.

My prediction is this will be casually ignored by ownership and won't have the effect you guys think it will. You want real results? **** with the television broadcast. Organize a bunch of people to throw something symbolic on the ice throughout all three periods to cause delay of game penalties to the isles. Push the game waaaaaay past it's allotted time slot. THAT will get you some national attention.

I don't want to ruin the fantasy but a few hundred people walking to the lobby off camera for 5 minutes isn't going to get you more than a quick mention by butch and howie and maybe a quick blurb in some grass roots paper.

Edit: I mean, I'm not really that fed up with the organization and have no plans to participate in ANY kind of protest. I just think it would be hilarious (and super effective) to see you guys chucking fishsticks or something on the ice for an entire game.

Last edited by Thatguystevie: 03-08-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old
03-08-2014, 10:21 AM
desperado462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguystevie View Post
I don't get the posters on this board... They constantly complain that the islanders get snubbed by the media but think that the media will pick up a story about >1,000 fans walking out in the middle of a period then going back before the game is over. I mean do you guys really think that Newsday, the paper that has representatives at every game and is clearly in some kind of partnership with the isles organization, is going to devote anything more than a 2x3 blurb buried somewhere in the back of the sports section to this "protest"? Even the isles coaching staff, who you all think are incompetent, could come up with something more effective than this.

My prediction is this will be casually ignored by ownership and won't have the effect you guys think it will. You want real results? **** with the television broadcast. Organize a bunch of people to throw something symbolic on the ice throughout all three periods to cause delay of game penalties to the isles. Push the game waaaaaay past it's allotted time slot. THAT will get you some national attention.

I don't want to ruin the fantasy but a few hundred people walking to the lobby off camera for 5 minutes isn't going to get you more than a quick mention by butch and howie and maybe a quick blurb in some grass roots paper.

Edit: I mean, I'm not really that fed up with the organization and have no plans to participate in ANY kind of protest. I just think it would be hilarious (and super effective) to see you guys chucking fishsticks or something on the ice for an entire game.
True. And the more noise is made that it might be done the more the announce team will be told to not mention it if it happens and the cameramen will be told not to film it. The NHL wouldn't want that publicity anyway so a walkout would never have any benefit to anyone other than those in the Coliseum..but they couldn't hide an empty arena on opening night next year... but by then, like drug addicts, everyone will need their hockey fix and will show up so this idea is worthless

Old
03-08-2014, 12:00 PM
ledzep1212
COYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryChristine View Post
I'm pretty sure that would be extremely embarrassing for them.
Also, How much support would we get around the league?
We are so pathetic right now that other fan bases are apologizing to us about how bad Garth is.

I don't know if it can be pulled off... But what a statement.
I'd love to see it.
It wouldn't be embarrassing at all. He has your money, he doesn't care if you leave, honestly not sure what you don't understand about that.

Old
03-08-2014, 12:28 PM
DerekJR321

How about instead of paying for a ticket and walking out.. people just picket at NVMC? Make signs and what not. The weather should be okay by then (if what I'm hearing is correct about 3/18).

Old
03-08-2014, 01:02 PM
macleod50

vCash: 250
I haven't read this whole thread. People are buying tickets to the game and then walking out? I hope Wang has a megaphone and he laughs at you on your way out while saying "thank you for your money."

Old
03-08-2014, 01:10 PM
Islanderfan17

Am I the only one who thinks a loud "Wang must go" chant would do so much more? People might not even notice on the broadcast that fans are walking out. However, a clear and loud chant would be heard on television and would undoubtedly have to be recognized by SOMEBODY, if not numerous people. I don't know why people are so reluctant to chant at the games, I've seen many people try to start chants like "Fire Cappy" but it seems like most people are disinterested in chanting it loudly.

Old
03-08-2014, 01:47 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
I haven't read this whole thread. People are buying tickets to the game and then walking out? I hope Wang has a megaphone and he laughs at you on your way out while saying "thank you for your money."
Agreed, this is the stupidest idea I have ever heard. Going to the game in an organized manner and NOT buying tickets but talking to fans as to why Wang is a problem will have more impact.

Old
03-08-2014, 04:25 PM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
We can gain plenty of exposure via twitter, I'm an admin on this fbook page .. A lot of people *****ing bc it's not fair to the players to walk out..were gonna walk to the concessions with 10 mins left in the 2nd and were gona return for the third period, I don't get why it's a big deal
Let me get this straight, the plan is to get up walk to the concession stands ( and what buy a beer) and then return?

With all due respect, this is the dumbest idea I have ever heard.

Old
03-08-2014, 04:30 PM
BigWorm

Three simple words, "JUST DON'T GO"

Old
03-08-2014, 05:03 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
If it helps you guys, the Walkout on Wang was mentioned on both TSN and Sportsnet in Canada.
Now if the local media would pick it up and spread it that would greatly help.

03-08-2014, 06:10 PM
Echoes of 1980

Cool. I just wonder how much Wang will care. He hasn't responded to years of laughingstock performances from his teams or negative attention from fans or "the media." A man that cuts costs in the manner that Wang does is shameless.

Old
03-08-2014, 06:11 PM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

So this is really picking up steam. I helped organize the protest on fb and tomorrow at 5:30 I have an interview with a reporter from Torontos Sports net radio fan 590. He reached out to the group. If I can get a link I'll post it afterwards.

Old
03-08-2014, 06:17 PM
Hip Of Rick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Now if the local media would pick it up and spread it that would greatly help.
It would be great but...

Local media coverage doesn't care about the Islanders(or hockey) and the one guy who covers the team is practically on the payroll

Old
03-08-2014, 06:56 PM
PJGooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
Let me get this straight, the plan is to get up walk to the concession stands ( and what buy a beer) and then return?

Maybe a pretzel, too.

Honestly, if the stars aligned and this actually got some exposure and attention beforehand, the ONLY way it would have even the slightest impact is if people walked out and left the building.

But no, that might hurt Calvin de Haan's or Anders Lee's feelings. So it'll be a half-ass job that shows whoever's paying attention from afar that no matter what, fans are suckers.

Old
03-08-2014, 11:43 PM
MaryChristine*
27 91 21

Quote:
We can gain plenty of exposure via twitter, I'm an admin on this fbook page .. A lot of people *****ing bc it's not fair to the players to walk out..were gonna walk to the concessions with 10 mins left in the 2nd and were gona return for the third period, I don't get why it's a big deal
lolololol... walk to the concession stands to give Wang more money. What a bunch of idiots... Whoever does this deserves the awful team they have.

Old
03-09-2014, 12:31 AM
Islesin93*

Walking out is pointless, just chant "Snow Must Go" the entire game, he is the real issue, you can tell Wang to sell the team but it is his team and he is going to do what he wants, Chant "Snow Must Go" and either Wang will get the message and fire him or Snow will be embarrassed and he will resign

Old
03-09-2014, 12:44 AM
MaryChristine*
27 91 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAgain View Post
Walking out is pointless, just chant "Snow Must Go" the entire game, he is the real issue, you can tell Wang to sell the team but it is his team and he is going to do what he wants, Chant "Snow Must Go" and either Wang will get the message and fire him or Snow will be embarrassed and he will resign
Walking out is not pointless... I say chant Snow must Go as you are walking out... What a scene that would be.

Stop discouraging fans. We need to do whatever it takes to get our message heard.

Old
03-09-2014, 08:55 AM
IslanderPride
Fire & Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post

This is so true ^^^^^^

Quote:
If anything fans go on stubhub and by the cheapest tickets that they can find (the $10 ones) get up leave as planned chanting "SNOW MUST GO WANG MUST SELL" and DO NOT GO TO THE CONCESSION STANDS OR RETURN TO YOUR SEATS head straight to the parking lot and continue chanting outside "WE WON'T COME BACK UNTIL WE SEE CHANGE" .Once u leave u don't come back until u see change. No matter how long it takes . PERIOD!!!!

Last edited by IslanderPride: 03-09-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old
03-09-2014, 09:19 AM
StrongIslanders90

Should walk out he Ten min mark of the 2nd. Right in the middle of the period.
This could be embarrassing if a lot of people don't show up and it does get media attention.
If 90 people walk out no one will notice. Would be nice to have close to a sellout and do it.

I just want to get a shirt that says " the only Wang I trust is below my belt".

Old
03-09-2014, 10:03 AM
MJF

Do what NY Giants fans did in the 1970s after "The Fumble". Burn your tickets in the parking lot.

Granted, the Giants get far more exposure than the Isles do but it did get the attention of Wellington Mara and the NFL. So much so that it resulted in George Young being reccomended as the GM by the league. That started the turnaround of the Giants franchise.

Good luck and I hope it gets Wang's attention.

Old
03-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Should walk out he Ten min mark of the 2nd. Right in the middle of the period.
If you're gonna do a walk out, why not do it right at the beginning of the game? That way people aren't invested in the game. I think it'd have more impact this way as well.

Whatever you do, don't follow that boneheaded suggestion of throwing stuff on the ice and delaying the game. That's just dumb and dangerous.

Closed Thread