HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Draft - Philadelphia - Rounds 2-7 9:00 AM NHLN

Old
06-26-2014, 03:56 PM
dougie1107

vCash: 500
If we had to settle for a pick at 25-30, Vrana has me intrigued. Performed well when he played U20 and was awesome at the U18.

dougie1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 05:18 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Fabbri has gone too unnoticed on these boards
i think he will be available in the 15-20 range.. if poile is sold on a guy like fabbri, id like him to move back and maybe pick up another second-ish .. and maybe take a gamble on ho-sang.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Filip Forceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
I'd rather do everything possible to move up and get Ehlers
I was surprised to see that 2 of the 3 NHL.com staff mocks had Ehlers being selected AFTER #11. The other had him being picked by Vancouver at #6.

I'd flip my **** if we managed to draft Ehlers.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=723352

Filip Forceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 06:58 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

I don't know much about this draft, but from what I can gather the good stuff will be gone by 11. I really hope we can trade the pick for immediate help.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 08:43 PM
braindead

I don't think that is correct. I think that it would be more accurate to say that the top five or six picks are much safer. There are 10 to 15 guys after that that have both big potential upside and question marks. At least four or five are likely to pan out extremely well. The problem is trying to figure out which ones. Hopefully poile and his minions have that part figured out. Historically they have been quite good at it. I would prefer to keep the pick.

Anyone trying to figure out who they can't live without if we keep those two second-round picks?

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 08:49 PM
Dave is a killer
Dave's a Mess

The Hockey Writer's have us taking Nylander in their mock draft

My apologies if this has already been posted

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 09:33 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

A note on Barbashev--

Probably the least like the Russian stereotype you can get. Had a great reputation in Moncton this year as a leader on and off the ice, huge amounts of skill AND character, complete 2 way player.

I know it probably won't happen for us, but someone is going to get a steal.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 09:45 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
A note on Barbashev--

Probably the least like the Russian stereotype you can get. Had a great reputation in Moncton this year as a leader on and off the ice, huge amounts of skill AND character, complete 2 way player.

I know it probably won't happen for us, but someone is going to get a steal.

I want barabashev over most ive seen available for us in mock drafts. Hes such a complete player already and has elite vision, reminds me of a more offensively talented Ryan O'reilly (as a prospect). Also if Ho-sang was available with one of our 2nds, he would compliment the playmaking barbashev well.

Ill be happy with about any forward we get tho, fabbri, kapanen, perlini, etc...

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 09:59 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I don't think that is correct. I think that it would be more accurate to say that the top five or six picks are much safer. There are 10 to 15 guys after that that have both big potential upside and question marks. At least four or five are likely to pan out extremely well. The problem is trying to figure out which ones. Hopefully poile and his minions have that part figured out. Historically they have been quite good at it. I would prefer to keep the pick.

Anyone trying to figure out who they can't live without if we keep those two second-round picks?
That's true for every draft. There's a top group that is likely to pan out. Then the next 10-20 or so are wildly hit or miss. That "five or six picks that are much safer" is exactly what I was referring to. 11th overall is just a little too late to get the into good stuff, IMO.

The cupboard is full and healthy and the roster is young. We can afford to give up the pick, or at least blow it on a high risk player.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 11:03 PM
Privy
#ShutUpStu

I've been saying it for awhile... Barbashev at 11th and Tkachev at 46th or 72nd. If a Nylander or Ehlers falls then the plan changes. The perfect scenario in my opinion would be a Nylander or Ehlers at 11th, trade for a second 1st then pick up Barbashev and Tkachev. I just don't see any of the top guys dropping, but you never know.

If Poile could pick up those three players, plus a few dmen to restock, then Nashville would win the draft in my opinion. The two Russians go against what Poile looks for, but that's the point. I don't see Barbashev going to the KHL. Tkachev already spent time in the KHL but came over to the Q for 20 games last season. He's more of a wild card but I think he'd stick around with Barbashev if he has a legit shot at the NHL. One more season in the Q should be enough for Barbashev. Tkachev may not be ready at that point, if ever.

Privy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 11:17 PM
PredsHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privy View Post
I've been saying it for awhile... Barbashev at 11th and Tkachev at 46th or 72nd. If a Nylander or Ehlers falls then the plan changes. The perfect scenario in my opinion would be a Nylander or Ehlers at 11th, trade for a second 1st then pick up Barbashev and Tkachev. I just don't see any of the top guys dropping, but you never know.

If Poile could pick up those three players, plus a few dmen to restock, then Nashville would win the draft in my opinion. The two Russians go against what Poile looks for, but that's the point. I don't see Barbashev going to the KHL. Tkachev already spent time in the KHL but came over to the Q for 20 games last season. He's more of a wild card but I think he'd stick around with Barbashev if he has a legit shot at the NHL. One more season in the Q should be enough for Barbashev. Tkachev may not be ready at that point, if ever.
I like this as well.
Wonder how long Barbashev will be around?

PredsHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 11:22 PM
Privy
#ShutUpStu

Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
I like this as well.
Wonder how long Barbashev will be around?
I'd say 13th-19th. There's teams in that range that don't seem to mind drafting Russians (WSH, DET, DAL, CBJ, TBL).

For perspective, Radulov had 1.15 ppg in his draft year (2.45 ppg the season after). Barbashev had 1.42 ppg this season, Tkachev had 1.5 ppg in a small 20 game sample size. The talent is there and neither is a nutcase like Radulov. Not to mention Barbashev actually plays defense and can throw and take a hit. Tkachev is a little different. He's small (5'9, 163 lbs) and is much flashier with amazing hands... but there are some rumors of possible attitude issues. He apparently used the CHL as leverage to get playing time in the KHL. When he was sent down it was because he didn't play enough defense. He's the gamble, but Barbashev and Tkachev have shown chemistry and results every time they've played together.

I don't know much about Tkachev. If he used the CHL as leverage to not get sent down to the MHL, then I don't blame him. Being in the CHL or KHL gives him a better opportunity to be drafted. As far as I know he didn't have any issues in Moncton so I'm not sure if he actually has attitude issues or not. He's a real shifty player who is good at avoiding hits and can dance around d-men and deke or snipe on the goalie. I wouldn't be surprised if his defensive play isn't up to par... but that's where Barbashev comes in. He's a two-way center with good offensive instincts. He can cover for a winger who isn't as good defensively. He's a gamble, but most 2nd/3rd rounders are.

Last edited by Privy: 06-27-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Privy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 12:03 AM
Wrong Box Legwand

Barbashev also turned down a KHL contract because he said he wants to play in the NHL. If someone obvious doesn't drop, I think he's our best option.

Wrong Box Legwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 12:50 AM
braindead

I agree on Barbashev looking like a very nontypical Russian that could be a great choice. Seems like he is projected in the 15-20 range but definitely could go sooner. I'd be fine to trade back to 16 or 18 or so and pick up another 2nd and take Barbashev, Milano or someone else that the staff liked.

For entertainment value only, in the 2nd round I've moved to looking for a d-man and settled on our Swedish connections to predict picking one of these 4 Swedes (vague frame of references included based on a skimming of suspect internet sites, without any live or recorded viewing... not that viewing would help me any whatsoever. Actual past performance of Shea Weber should not imply similar performance for future investment vehicles):

AO Mattsson and William Laggesson (both seem to come from the Shea Weber type of mold for D-men)
Sebastian Aho (more out of the Ryan Ellis mold)
Marcus Pettersson (what mold is 6'4", 161 pounds???)

Anyway, you heard it hear first. 2nd. D. Swede.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 02:23 AM
PredsHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I agree on Barbashev looking like a very nontypical Russian that could be a great choice. Seems like he is projected in the 15-20 range but definitely could go sooner. I'd be fine to trade back to 16 or 18 or so and pick up another 2nd and take Barbashev, Milano or someone else that the staff liked.

For entertainment value only, in the 2nd round I've moved to looking for a d-man and settled on our Swedish connections to predict picking one of these 4 Swedes (vague frame of references included based on a skimming of suspect internet sites, without any live or recorded viewing... not that viewing would help me any whatsoever. Actual past performance of Shea Weber should not imply similar performance for future investment vehicles):

AO Mattsson and William Laggesson (both seem to come from the Shea Weber type of mold for D-men)
Sebastian Aho (more out of the Ryan Ellis mold)
Marcus Pettersson (what mold is 6'4", 161 pounds???)

Anyway, you heard it hear first. 2nd. D. Swede.
If we trade down and get Barbashev and an extra 2nd. We should trade two 2nds to move back into 1st round.
So maybe
16-18 Barbashev
another offensive piece in late first round
Defenseman in the second- maybe one of your Swedes or another name I like is Aaron Irving
Tkachev in the third

PredsHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 04:42 AM
alexmanu

Barbashev is pretty inconsistent I prefer others.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 04:53 AM
dougie1107

The problem with trading down for Barbashev is that we really can't. If Fleury is off the board at thirteen there is a good chance he will go there, because their scouts love Russians.

dougie1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 05:40 AM
Nashansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanu View Post
Barbashev is pretty inconsistent I prefer others.
I agree, I see Barbashev play pretty much every home game and I would prefer someone else. He's a good player but I think we can get someone better at 11

I would like Nylander at 11, but I think that whoever ends up with Ehlers will have the steal of the draft.

Last edited by Nashansen: 06-27-2014 at 05:48 AM. Reason: adding
Nashansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 06:34 AM
alexmanu

Here's how I see the draft panning out:

Aaron Ekblad
Sam Bennett
Sam Reinhart
Michael Dal Colle
Leon Draisaitl
Nick Ritchie
Jake Virtanen
Nikolaj Ehlers
William Nylander
Brendan Perlini

11: Kasperi Kapanen

Old
06-27-2014, 06:42 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Even NHL.com is expecting a ton of trades to go down. This is the week we've been waiting for since we were officially eliminated from the playoffs (draft and FA).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=724070

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 06:43 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Poile seems to like his California-developed prospects (Blum, Balisy, Aronson, in recent years--though none has really panned out). I'd like to see them return to that well if they can get a late first or move up a bit in the second to grab Chase De Leo. Reminds me quite a bit of Brandon Saad in his draft year...a player slated to go as a 1\2 round tweener, but with enough skill that some wondered why not higher.

Old
06-27-2014, 07:52 AM
GeauxPreds

I think according to most mocks Chase De Leo is expected to be available right around where we pick in the 2nd anyways, and at worst we would only have to move into the front of the 2nd, not the end of the first. If people are picking De Leo in the late first we have a good chance of someone seriously dropping to us at that point. I wouldn't mind a flyer on Ho-Sang if he's available at 46, but I'm past the point of wanting to trade late into the first round for him, and honestly knowing poile I don't expect him to pick a kid like ho-sang to begin with.

GeauxPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 08:10 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanu View Post
Here's how I see the draft panning out:

11: Kasperi Kapanen
Just an interesting note....Red Line Report (my personal fave) has Kapanen ranked all the down at #29. Really likes his play, but says he's very inconsistent. In turn, a guy I've seen ranked all over the place as well, Jake Virtanen, is ranked all the way up at #7. This is going to be a crazy draft.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 08:15 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Kapanen's offensive game is considered to be boom or bust. He's considered a safe player in that he'll likely play in the NHL as at least a bottom six player, but drafting on that alone he is more of a second rounder. His offensive game is iffy..it may translate, and if so...great pick at 11..but it also may not.

I would rather not take that risk, as it always seems to burn us..but that said, Janne Kekalainen is near the top of the scouting hierarchy, and having seen him quite a bit..if he gets in Poile's ear, there's a good chance this may be our pick.

Old
06-27-2014, 08:22 AM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Kapanen's offensive game is considered to be boom or bust. He's considered a safe player in that he'll likely play in the NHL as at least a bottom six player, but drafting on that alone he is more of a second rounder. His offensive game is iffy..it may translate, and if so...great pick at 11..but it also may not.

I would rather not take that risk, as it always seems to burn us..but that said, Janne Kekalainen is near the top of the scouting hierarchy, and having seen him quite a bit..if he gets in Poile's ear, there's a good chance this may be our pick.
I wouldn't mind taking a risk, you rarely get special or elite players outside the top 5 without taking risks or just getting lucky.