HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[MTL/NYI] Thomas Vanek & cond. 5th rd pick for cond. 2nd rd pick & Collberg - Part II

Old
03-06-2014, 10:35 AM
JS19
Legends Never Die

vCash: 500
Thinking about it, I really like this deal for Montreal. They get a top-6 forward without sacrificing their current roster, which is fantastic. Moreover, if Vanek bolts for FA you can just rely on the roster Bergevin had before trade deadline. Basically a win-win for Montreal.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 10:36 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Will Vanek play tonight for the Habs?
Supposed to, yes.

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 10:44 AM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Who do you have in mind? What players do you think could be convinced to come to play for the Islanders? And will Wang be willing to open up the checkbook to spend whatever it takes?

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/

I don't think that can convince any good players to sign as UFA. They will need to trade their picks for players already under contract, or for RFAs. And I really do believe Wang will open up the checkbook with those Brooklyn dollars only a year away. As it is, they need to spend $15M just to get to the cap floor next year.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 10:50 AM
VL55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranix View Post
Snow had to trade Vanek now. He would have recieved less for him at the draft.
By 'less', you mean 'nothing' right?

VL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
I don't think that can convince any good players to sign as UFA. They will need to trade their picks for players already under contract, or for RFAs. And I really do believe Wang will open up the checkbook with those Brooklyn dollars only a year away. As it is, they need to spend $15M just to get to the cap floor next year.
or he might say...keep the budget down so I can re-coup a bunch of the losses I have encoured. I bet I know which one he does!

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:09 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Snow will have to trade for a goalie and defenseman at the draft, he has picks to dangle and has to fill salary cap space for relatively few spots. I think he keeps his top pick and uses to get one of the top guys in this draft to the stables. All other picks and some players will likely be dangled.

If we were to draft S. Reinhart or Bennett, I think Frans Nielsen could be on the trade block. With 2 years left on a really good contract, his value will likely never be higher. Package Frans and some picks to get a top-4 defender. Trade some picks and take a cap dump like Cam Ward who should come relatively cheap considering no one will take on his contract.

Reinhart/Bennett
Cam Ward
Top-4 defender in the Nielsen trade

That should be enough along with some bumps to Cizikas and Calvin de Haan to get the Isles over the cap floor for next season. Then Snow and the Isles can spin their PR BS about how they got an 'elite' and Stanley Cup goalie in Ward, a top prospect to add to the system (or in the NHL next season), and a top-4 defender to add depth and veteran support for the kiddie corps.

The Isles are built with budget in mind first to appease the cheapskate owner. Snow is a terrible GM, but he's been traditionally good at the Draft - the only time he's shown to be capable other than negotiating contracts for the homegrown players.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:17 AM
Vern

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
European has nothing to do with it. He played college hockey in Minny his wife is also from there. Its been fairly well reported that he will end up in Minny.

The question for me is will he give them a discount and if not can they fit him under the cap?

* edit - I Just checked capgeek - with Heatly off the books, Minny shouldnt have any troubles fitting him in....
Can someone please post the link where he actually says he wants to go to minny.
If cities were flavors St Paul would be cream of wheat and Montreal would be mango chutney lol. In minny he can quietly fade into the background , in Montreal, if we make a deep playoff push he will be a GOD. Bigger star than Brad Pitt in Hollywood. People will be falling over themselves to accommodate him and his family. If he signs with us and we win a cup hell become a legend of the sport. But wait! his wife is from minny! Lets see, hmm, be a living legend in a cultural hotspot like Montreal, or go to boring old St Paul so you can be closer to your inlaws lol. Which would you choose?

Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Chfan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
Can someone please post the link where he actually says he wants to go to minny.
If cities were flavors St Paul would be cream of wheat and Montreal would be mango chutney lol. In minny he can quietly fade into the background , in Montreal, if we make a deep playoff push he will be a GOD. Bigger star than Brad Pitt in Hollywood. People will be falling over themselves to accommodate him and his family. If he signs with us and we win a cup hell become a legend of the sport. But wait! his wife is from minny! Lets see, hmm, be a living legend in a cultural hotspot like Montreal, or go to boring old St Paul so you can be closer to your inlaws lol. Which would you choose?
Depends on the person really. Both have their upsides.

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Jeremy2020

Quote:
St Paul.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:26 AM
CanadianSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Thinking about it, I really like this deal for Montreal. They get a top-6 forward without sacrificing their current roster, which is fantastic. Moreover, if Vanek bolts for FA you can just rely on the roster Bergevin had before trade deadline. Basically a win-win for Montreal.
I like Collberg, but he was looking more and more like a bust by the day. I hope for his sake that he turns things around. If we don't re-sign Vanek, we realistically lose nothing, or very little. Basically tiny risk - high reward.

CanadianSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:36 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 133
Quote:
Have you ever been to Minnesota?

I've been to Montreal. Nice town. Taxes are a *****.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Eb
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
You forgot to mention if he plays poorly fans would want his head and the mayor would ask for him to be traded.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Black Label

Quote:
You need to step away from the keyboard.

Black Label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Prendan Brust

nvm, I was the fifth to say the same thing...

Last edited by Prendan Brust: 03-06-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: repetition
Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Vern

Ok busted.

Never been to minny and i'm sure St Paul is a great place to live. Just trying to entertain my wild fantasies that Montreal is an attractive place to stars like Vanek

Would really love to see that link though.. or is the whole thing just a case of the rumor being repeated so many times we think its based on fact.

Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:57 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Ok busted.

Never been to minny and i'm sure St Paul is a great place to live. Just trying to entertain my wild fantasies that Montreal is an attractive place to stars like Vanek

Would really love to see that link though.. or is the whole thing just a case of the rumor being repeated so many times we think its based on fact.
http://www.thomasvanek.com/theman.php

Quote:
And the NHL? Always Buffalo or is there a favorite team you would like to get traded to sometime?
TV: At the moment I am simply happy that my dream of playing in the NHL has come true. No matter where. Maybe later in my career I would enjoy playing in Minnesota because I have built a house there and all my friends and my girlfriend lives there. But I have no dream club.

Old
03-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Doublechin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
That's an easy dream to surpass...Anyways I don't know if I'd want Vanek for a 7-8 year contract at 8M a year.

Doublechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:18 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublechin View Post
That's an easy dream to surpass...Anyways I don't know if I'd want Vanek for a 7-8 year contract at 8M a year.
Neither do most Wild fans.

Back to what he wants, though. There seems to be alot of steam behind this rumor, and he's certainly done nothing to dissuade them. Then you throw in the fact that his BFF Jason Pominville moved into a house in the same neighborhood that TV lives in, in addition to his tight friendship with Zach Parise. He also runs a youth hockey program here in the state, his wife, his other friends, blah blah blah. There are alot of dots that can be connected.

The one thing he's been very clear on is that he wants to experience free agency for the first time in his career.

All that being said, I certainly don't think it's a slam dunk that the Wild even go after him if he becomes a UFA in July. What if Moulson gels with the squad and they want to sign him instead? And if they do target Vanek, I'm not sure they would be interested in anything near a 7-8 year deal at $8million AAV.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Old
03-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Hockyluv21

Quote:
Standard of living has little to do with perceived cultural "richness" (which BTW, is a very subjective proposition), and has much to do with state/province and city tax policy. Minnesota, though a relative "tweener" state in terms of tax policy and overall government size (overly high corporate taxes, but relatively average income tax rates), is a relative financial haven when compared to the incredibly uncompetitive tax policies of both Quebec province and the city of Montreal. I have lots of technical evidence to show that it's true, but I feel that the most accessible form to help you understand this difference is the overall premium over other teams that Montreal has had to pay its players to compensate for the major tax discrepancies.

Hockyluv21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:25 PM
sansabri
RIP Radio Raheem.

i can definitely see the Habs overpaying to keep Vanek here. even if we regret it in the last 2-3 years of his contract, we REALLY need a top flight player on this team.

so it really boils down to what Vanek wants.

sansabri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:31 PM
znk

Quote:
Ok busted.

He played for the University of Minnesota and supposedly still has ties with the region.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:47 PM
CLUTTERSTACHE*

Vanek is a bum anyways. Not a winner.

And Garth Snow is just.. i cant even..im sick

CLUTTERSTACHE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:52 PM
cheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
I think Snow won this trade really...Vanek wasn't signing with the Isles and he won't with the Habs neither (wants to go to UFA and Minnesota is what Vanek said) and picking up a young player like collberg and 2nd round picks have developed into some decent players ie: Shea Weber, Tyler Sequin, Drew Doughty and Gabriel Landeskog are just a few. Snow blew the trade earlier with the Moulson/Vanek trade but I think he won this one with the Habs.
Drew Doughty, Tyler Seguin, and Gabriel Lamdeskog are 2nd overall picks not 2nd round picks. Shea Weber was a 2nd round pick.

Edit: my bad didn't realize somebody already told you.

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Tell that to Lecavalier

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:58 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLUTTERSTACHE View Post
Vanek is a bum anyways. Not a winner.