HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Old
05-15-2014, 01:38 PM
HawksFanForLife

vCash: 500

Hey not sure if anyone remembers me, I posted here after Round 1 asking about bad calls going against Montreal. Well I'm having another debate with my father now (don't worry, we only argue about the Habs it seems)
He basically says the Habs didn't deserve to win the Cup in 1993 because the Canadiens cheated by planting the illegal stick for Marty McSorley, along with something about putting stuff down that messed up the Kings skates. Anyways to be honest I'm not in the mood to go deep into research to debunk his claims, so can anyone here help me in explaining why these claims are ridiculous?
I care about this quite a bit to be honest partially because I like Montreal (congrats against Boston!) but moreso because I HATE the Leafs. Thanks!

HawksFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 01:44 PM
Lemons

It's funny because if you microscope every stanley cup winner, to an extent, they had relative reasons not to win a cup.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 01:44 PM
FranksterQc

I had heard before that they had somehow got a hold of this stick to measure it but I remember demers denying that.

Heres Mcsorley's side:
http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=632932

basically
Quote:
McSorley said that the Canadiens knew he had an illegal stick because they wheeled the Kings' stick rack into their locker room.

FranksterQc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 01:46 PM
A1
Set Sail For Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksterQc View Post
I had heard before that they had somehow got a hold of this stick to measure it but I remember demers denying that.

Heres Mcsorley's side:
http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=632932

basically

There's a pretty easy solution to that, don't use an illegal stick

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 01:48 PM
DLR1970

No plant, stick was illegal. Kings knew it, Canadiens knew it. The skate stuff sounds like typical anti-Montreal bias. "Oh they aren't good enough to win the cup, here's what really happened." It's all bs. The 93 team beat who they needed to beat. Had that long string of OT wins. Which, naturally, is brought up by the people preaching fluke. Fact is, Montreal's SC win in 1993 is every bit as deserved as the Backhawks in 2010, the Blackhawks in 2013, any of Edmonton's during their run. On and on. Anything else from any other fanbase is just flat out BS, and seeking to rationalize how Montreal could win in 93(or even 86 for that matter). Fact is those were good teams, capable of beating anyone, with one of the best goalies ever. No flukes, no plants, no conspiracy. Just Stanley Cup Champions.

DLR1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFanForLife View Post
Hey not sure if anyone remembers me, I posted here after Round 1 asking about bad calls going against Montreal. Well I'm having another debate with my father now (don't worry, we only argue about the Habs it seems)
He basically says the Habs didn't deserve to win the Cup in 1993 because the Canadiens cheated by planting the illegal stick for Marty McSorley, along with something about putting stuff down that messed up the Kings skates. Anyways to be honest I'm not in the mood to go deep into research to debunk his claims, so can anyone here help me in explaining why these claims are ridiculous?
I care about this quite a bit to be honest partially because I like Montreal (congrats against Boston!) but moreso because I HATE the Leafs. Thanks!
Your dad needs professional help.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 02:57 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
There's a pretty easy solution to that, don't use an illegal stick
Gretzky's High Stick McSorely's Curved Stick Habs Bought The Cup

All a Leafs conspiracy theory that rages still today.

GHG

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 02:59 PM
ThaDevilGirl

In 1993 I was 4. I wish I had some kind of memory from that year

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Brainiac

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Your dad needs professional help.
Then a lot of people need professional help.

The stick was not planted, but since the Habs apparently measured it beforehand, or at least they knew about it, it's easy to extrapolate a little bit from there. Not saying it's healthy behaviour, but it's easy.

A lot of people connect dots in the wrong way. It's the good old "who benefits from the crime" argument.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 03:41 PM
rickthegoon

I promise my kids every year since they started kindergarden that I would make them skip school to go to the parade when the Habs win their next Stanley cup. It does start to look like 93......top teams like St-Louis,Pitts and Boston out of the way......well, they're now 18 and 16...never too late!

rickthegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Lshap

Supposedly, Guy Carbonneau had snuck into the Kings locker room and measured the sticks. Sure enough, McSorley's was illegal. So when the Habs called for a measurement they already knew the outcome. Sneaky? Sure. But the stick was indeed illegal.

As for planting it - impossible. Each equipment manager keeps a number of customized sticks per player, each numbered and named. The make, markings, taping -- all unique to each player. There is absolutely no way to plant an outside stick into the rack without the equipment guy and player instantly noticing.

The conspiracy theory about messing with skates is too silly to dignify.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 03:55 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Back in the day, the analysts talked about how it was common practice to play with illegal sticks until late in the game. At that point the players would switch to the legal ones to avoid penalties. Demers was well aware of this and took advantage of it when he saw McSorely hadn't switched.

Was this true? No idea, but that was the story back then with all the talking heads. Never heard the story about Carbo before...

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 04:15 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Criss de p'tite jeune.

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 05:03 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

It sounds like your dad buys in to the whole argument that the Leafs were robbed & had they not been they would have creamed the Habs.

The biggest argument to this is when they drone on about about the Leafs getting robbed in 1993 with the missed call by Fraser on Gretzky when he high sticked Gilmour. Yep, the fact that the Leafs played 21 games in 3 series had nothing to do with it. The fact that the Leafs had a 3-2 series lead against LA & played a lazy game (I remember, I was yelling at the TV for the Leafs to get their butts in gear) in game 6 had nothing to with with it either. But yeah, these are non-factors. It`s obvious the NHL is out to screw T.O. It`s probably written somewhere in the dirty book of secrets.

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFanForLife View Post
Ok that explains game 2. What's his excuse for games 3 and 4 which were played in LA? Undercover Habs workers tampering with the LA arena?

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Paddyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthegoon View Post
I promise my kids every year since they started kindergarden that I would make them skip school to go to the parade when the Habs win their next Stanley cup. It does start to look like 93......top teams like St-Louis,Pitts and Boston out of the way......well, they're now 18 and 16...never too late!
My brother made a similar comment last night to me but I disagree. In contrast to 1993, the big team out of our way is gone because of our play, not someone else's, and when you look on the Western side and you still see Chicago and either Anaheim and LA still in the mix... well I wouldn't say the big guns area really out of the way

Paddyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 05:12 PM
Kenny Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Mon Amour View Post
Criss de p'tite jeune.
Reminded me of Elvis Gratton ''Tite crisse d'agace pissette! '' hahaha

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Dont Poke Subban

A dude from work told me the 93 cup win was kind of flukey. And he is a huge Habs fan since the 70s. He didn't really give me any details but he still enjoyed it, of course.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 05:47 PM
Moves Like Jagr

That 93 cup run was awesome. I remember being pretty down when the nordiques were up 2-0 in the series. Hextall pissed me off, I seem to remember him complaining to the refs a lot and having goal reviews but I was 10 at the time so my memory could be deceiving me. When the Islanders knocked out the defending champion penguins I knew we had a shot. I think that might be the only time I've ever been a fan of glenn healy lol

Moves Like Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 05:56 PM
lou4gehrig

Big difference between 93 and now is that they had Roy who was on fire. And having already leading the Habs to the cup in 1986 you knew he was capable in any season given enough offense. I'd actually compare this team to 1986. Against the odds with dominant teams (Edmonton) in the league. Decent regular season, 5th seed.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Man o' man some posters here are really buying into this stuff. Every team had illegal sticks back then. There was no way for Demers or the canadiens to know that Mcsorleys stick was illegal before theyd seen him play with it. The players on the bench noticed how particularly curvy it was, Demers took a gamble and he even said that no one was sure it would actually go through.

People saying that Carbonneau actually went on to measure those sticks is stupendous, no way would any hockey would track which stick and who played with it during a game. Immediately when Demers went through with the call, the habs locker room actually took out all the illegal sticks they had on the racks and on the ice. You don't premeditate stuff like that and its the first time I hear about the skates stuff, thats absolutely laughable.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 06:20 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

I hope we win the cup this year in similar circumstances. If we'll have to deal with nonsense conspiracies at least they won't be like the Bruins' father Campbell and their trail of tears and dirty hits.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 11:06 PM
madhi19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
I must have been 15 or so damn that was a damp Summer. We visited the Forum on a summer camp trip to Montreal for some deck hockey tournament. That must have been like a month after they won the cup. I don't remember much else from the trip except the Expos game we went to on day two was boring as hell. And this song was playing all the time on the radio.

madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Tyson

I have the 93 Cup run video that shows players talking to demers on the bench telling him Marty's stick was illegal. You can hear Carbonneau tell Demers that it was illegal. Coaches are paid to coach, Demers made the right decision. Desjardins did the rest!

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

You won the cup, you won the cup. That's all.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote