HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

by the spirit of vanek..... (we lost)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2014, 10:17 AM
  #151
Habaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Watching Tinordi play yesterday.. He will be very very very good. Has excellent mobility and he doesnt need to take a million strides to get to full speed. Can't wait for him to be a top pairing D-man along with Subban.
Top pairing? Maybe only if you split up your skills on two pairs, and
Tinordi get's Subban.
But I agree with you in general. He looks like he has a higher upside
than expected. And he might be at a point where he'll learn more by
staying in the NHL. And in any case, he is needed right now.
Still I hope he is on Hamilton's "clear day" roster. In case they go on
a long play-off run.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 10:19 AM
  #152
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
Top pairing? Maybe only if you split up your skills on two pairs, and
Tinordi get's Subban.
But I agree with you in general. He looks like he has a higher upside
than expected. And he might be at a point where he'll learn more by
staying in the NHL. And in any case, he is needed right now.
Still I hope he is on Hamilton's "clear day" roster. In case they go on
a long play-off run.
Unless we have last change and the opposition is front-loaded in talent, I personally believe it's probably better to spread our talent between 2 pairings.

If we can make sure Subban can ride Crosby's ass all game long, then go for it. Otherwise, we can't make sure.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 10:27 AM
  #153
Habaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Unless we have last change and the opposition is front-loaded in talent, I personally believe it's probably better to spread our talent between 2 pairings.

If we can make sure Subban can ride Crosby's ass all game long, then go for it. Otherwise, we can't make sure.
Yeah, I don't disagree with that. I just think it makes more sense to
refer to Tinordi as top 4 in that scenario. However that's only semantics.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 10:34 AM
  #154
rockjngo
Registered User
 
rockjngo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
Tinordi needs to play. He needs experience. It's learning process. He's still 21 years old. For a 6'6" 215lbs defenseman he's only getting better.

rockjngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 10:35 AM
  #155
Habaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
You are more interested in prospect playing in the NHL than winning I gather. Name the last Cup contender with four rookie dmen (counting Tinordi).....and after you've named one..name another. Pretty much an impossible task isn't it?
The most inexperienced D corp I remember winning a cup in the last
45 years, was in 1993. I think they only had two rookies. Brisebois and
Hill. Although maybe I should check about Schnieder.

On checking, Brisebois missed being a rookie by a couple of games. Hill was the only rookie D.
Schneider wasn't close.


Last edited by Habaddict: 03-07-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 10:36 AM
  #156
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,088
vCash: 500
One of the few games this year (well, after the first 10 games) where I feel we outplayed our opposition and lost. There's been way more of the opposite happening this season. Guess it kinda evens out us stealing points against anaheim.

__________________



"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 10:46 AM
  #157
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
Yeah, I don't disagree with that. I just think it makes more sense to
refer to Tinordi as top 4 in that scenario. However that's only semantics.
I was agreeing with you as well, just building on it

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 10:47 AM
  #158
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,875
vCash: 500
The Habs PP really needs some new ideas. They're 1 for 13 in the 3 games on this road trip so far and that goal was on a 5 on 3 PP.

By my count since Dec 1st the Habs have now gone 18 for 118 on the PP which is 15.3%. They we're scoring close to 24% on the PP from the start of the season until Dec 1st so what changed?

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 10:59 AM
  #159
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
The Habs PP really needs some new ideas. They're 1 for 13 in the 3 games on this road trip so far and that goal was on a 5 on 3 PP.

By my count since Dec 1st the Habs have now gone 18 for 118 on the PP which is 15.3%. They we're scoring close to 24% on the PP from the start of the season until Dec 1st so what changed?
People caught on to the strategy? Not so hard to break down and defend against 'EVERYBODY GET IT TO SUBBAN'.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:07 AM
  #160
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
People caught on to the strategy? Not so hard to break down and defend against 'EVERYBODY GET IT TO SUBBAN'.
If so that's where the coaches need to adjust and change things up but unfortunately they don't seem to concerned which to be honest is a little concerning..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:07 AM
  #161
Dagistitsyn
Registered User
 
Dagistitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
People caught on to the strategy? Not so hard to break down and defend against 'EVERYBODY GET IT TO SUBBAN'.
It really is just that now. There is no threat up front. Other teams don't even have to respect our forwards because they know it's going to Subban. They also know that DD will NOT shoot even if he is directly in the slot, he will look off to pass it back. So other teams just need to cover the points because there is rarely ever a creative attempt to do anything with our forwards on the PP.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:10 AM
  #162
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I don't get this....sorry. He's not the best thing since beer but far from horrendous. In fact, I think he bring a different set of tools that we needed. Would we love him to be faster?sure but I'm fine with him playing 15-18 mins a game in a defensive role. Come PO time, he's going to be an asset.
Slightly too much, maybe. 12-15 minutes is his sweet spot, imo, but have no problem with odd games where he might end up with 15-18. Habs are 12W-4L when he plays 12-15 mins/game.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:14 AM
  #163
Habaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
People caught on to the strategy? Not so hard to break down and defend against 'EVERYBODY GET IT TO SUBBAN'.
Yes. When have you seen a PP that gets so little from their Forwards.

If this team only had a right shooting finisher, that they could use regularly
on the PP.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:16 AM
  #164
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
Yes. When have you seen a PP that gets so little from their Forwards.

If this team only had a right shooting finisher, that they could use regularly
on the PP.
And seriously, though, he's already set up as a RH shot on the left, so he doesn't even have to work a swap like PK does to get lined up for the one-timers.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:17 AM
  #165
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
Yes. When have you seen a PP that gets so little from their Forwards.

If this team only had a right shooting finisher, that they could use regularly
on the PP.
I wonder if they should just straight up start pk on the left d and markov on the right. They always switch anyway. Vanek near the left circle with his righty shot could be a great cross pass option for markov.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:20 AM
  #166
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Your agenda does not match reality.

One goal was scored while The slow and horrible Murray was on the ice. Two goals were score while the ultra fast Norris winning Subban was on the ice. Now what's the excuse/reason for that?

This team missed Gorges last night. He is a prolific shot blocker. Blocked shots don't end up in the goal.
I have no agenda. The guy sucks, that's it.
I couldn't care less how many goals he was on the ice for, even if he were on there for 5 goals, you cannot blame one player for every goal scored on, just like someone can have an assist while sitting on the bench.

The guy is always stuck in his zone and the rest of the players on the ice suffer from it. Every time Murray is on the ice, there is very, very, little sustained offensive pressure.
When the two qualities you can come up with for a player is ''block shots'' and ''physical'', then you're describing a pretty bad Dman.

Gorges does more than just block shots.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:31 AM
  #167
Habaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I wonder if they should just straight up start pk on the left d and markov on the right. They always switch anyway. Vanek near the left circle with his righty shot could be a great cross pass option for markov.
I think they do it because it's sometimes easier to retain possession on the
fore-check, or even scrambled draws. Then with good possession they change.
How they time the change can also make things awkward for the PKers, but
that seems minor.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:54 AM
  #168
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I have no agenda. The guy sucks, that's it.
I couldn't care less how many goals he was on the ice for, even if he were on there for 5 goals, you cannot blame one player for every goal scored on, just like someone can have an assist while sitting on the bench.

The guy is always stuck in his zone and the rest of the players on the ice suffer from it. Every time Murray is on the ice, there is very, very, little sustained offensive pressure.
When the two qualities you can come up with for a player is ''block shots'' and ''physical'', then you're describing a pretty bad Dman.

Gorges does more than just block shots.
Murray sucks because he was on the ice for a goal

Subban does not suck defensively and you can't blame him because there are 4 other players on the ice.

And goals given up or prevented does not matter because Murray sucks.

Did I get it right?

Maybe we can petition the NHL to start awarding wins and losses on style points like they do in figure skating.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:57 AM
  #169
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Murray sucks because he was on the ice for a goal

Subban does not suck defensively and you can't blame him because there are 4 other players on the ice.

And goals given up or prevented does not matter because Murray sucks.

Did I get it right?

Maybe we can petition the NHL to start awarding wins and losses on style points like they do in figure skating.
Not even close. But hey Murray is big and strong, so he's awesome.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 12:35 PM
  #170
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 17,270
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
It wasn't very good.

Vanek's chance in front of the net on the powerplay (I think) was the most exciting part of it.
The scotch and the good company was the most exciting part of it.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:14 PM
  #171
izzy75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Not even close. But hey Murray is big and strong, so he's awesome.
You're finally getting it

izzy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:23 PM
  #172
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,643
vCash: 500
Has to be the worst game of the season.

Plekanec seemed to have gone on a drunken trip since they left for Montreal. He played crap against the Ducks and Yotes, creating turnovers after turnovers. Something is really wrong with him.

I saw two teams playing on a different level, Habs looked like Bantams, Phoenix played like men as far as structure and intensity.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:51 PM
  #173
Bryson
Registered User
 
Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Has to be the worst game of the season.

Plekanec seemed to have gone on a drunken trip since they left for Montreal. He played crap against the Ducks and Yotes, creating turnovers after turnovers. Something is really wrong with him.

I saw two teams playing on a different level, Habs looked like Bantams, Phoenix played like men as far as structure and intensity.
You're seriously drunk if you think that was the worst game of the season. Plekanec played near 26 minutes vs the ducks, a game we won. Guess who was tasked with the burden of defensive zone coverage with Eller out of the lineup. I'll give you a hint it wasn't Deharnais. The team played three games in four nights plus the olympics. He is gassed. Simple as that. Move on.

Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:52 PM
  #174
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,819
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
The Habs PP really needs some new ideas. They're 1 for 13 in the 3 games on this road trip so far and that goal was on a 5 on 3 PP.

By my count since Dec 1st the Habs have now gone 18 for 118 on the PP which is 15.3%. They we're scoring close to 24% on the PP from the start of the season until Dec 1st so what changed?
I thought the strategy of Subban breaking 3 ankles before banging it in was a solid plan

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:14 PM
  #175
Habaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
I thought the strategy of Subban breaking 3 ankles before banging it in was a solid plan
Don't laugh yet. In a 7 game series this could be a plan. Of course
it could be an even better plan for our opponents.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.