HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

should we or should we not???

Old
03-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Neely and Bure are both in the HoF.
I never understood this argument. I want to raise the bar, not continue to muddy the waters.

"So and so got in." Okay, let's stop doing that. It's a slippery slope. Then lesser and lesser people get in because they keep barely touching that bottom rung. At some point, you have to stop lowering the bar.

Sure, if Lindros is better than Neely and Bure, then he is above that low bar, so he gets into the HoF, -- but I'm talking about a retired number floating magnificently above the heads of the fans who have stuck with this team while it has continued to flounder Cup after Cup. Lindros deserves to be in the history, maybe even in the Hall, but in the Pantheon? Nah.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Doors

#28 up in the rafters around 2028 or so!

Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doors View Post
#28 up in the rafters around 2028 or so!
Yiss.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:16 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
International play against the best players in the world is looked upon more favourably than playing professionally in a league below the NHL. I almost guarantee that Forsberg's stats with Modo (~200 games) and Bure's games in Russia (just over 100) have no bearing on their merits for the Hall.
Fair enough. I think that it is looked upon moreso if they have extended playing time in another pro league. But that's just a guess really because that's just how I would look at it.

Quote:
Lindros didn't change the game? Giant defensemen were getting drafted higher just to be a physical presence against Lindros.
And they made short of work him...sending him to the IR for the majority of his career. Haha. But in all seriousness, I don't think he changed the game in the same way a guy like Neely did. Lindros was big and strong and fast, for sure, but he didn't create a new role in the NHL. He had an impact in that teams had to change their styles, but it isn't like all of the sudden now players being bigger and faster, he was just an impactful player.

Quote:
Bernie Federko never scored more than 41 goals in a season, yet is in the HHoF. 50 goals is a great achievement, but not a defining criteria.
That is just one of the factors working against Lindros. I'm not saying you HAVE to score X goals or points to get in. It helps, for sure, and it hurts for sure, but there are likely plenty of players without the magic numbers in there and others with the magic numbers that aren't in there. Federko had over a PPG for his entire 1000 game NHL career. That type of longevity is what got him in.

Quote:
This is the single biggest reason why Lindros isn't in yet... and you can bet that's why he has been mending the relationships that he has been over the past few years.
Well, that and his injuries are probably equal. I said this about the Baseball HOF and the Hockey HOF...it is not a place for "the best that could have been," it is a place for the best that were. Point to Neely and Bure all you want, but as I heard someone point out on the radio the other day, someone pointing to the outliers is just proving the point of the majority (or something like that).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

Amongst the top 25 retired NHLers in PPG:

Lindros
Forsberg
Nilsson

Is the list not in the HOF.

Nilsson is a victim of not enough games and playing in an era where his PPG was not actually uber elite. (1 top ten PPG finish.)

Lindros and Forsberg will both get in.

(Lindros is 15th amongst retired players in PPG)

Bure, Neeley, Lafontaine, Shutt, Bossy, Barber and Lemaire are all in with a low number of Games played... and most with inferior numbers. (although some ofc with crazy team records.)

Last edited by Appleyard: 03-07-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:23 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Well, that and his injuries are probably equal. I said this about the Baseball HOF and the Hockey HOF...it is not a place for "the best that could have been," it is a place for the best that were. Point to Neely and Bure all you want, but as I heard someone point out on the radio the other day, someone pointing to the outliers is just proving the point of the majority (or something like that).
The Neelys and Bures and Lindroses are outliers only because they had shorter careers. It goes back to my argument that these guys were great for a short period where guys like Federko and Shanahan were really good, but never great, for a longer period.

It all comes down to whether or not shorter term greatness trumps longer term goodness (? ) and, in some cases, that's why you see guys like Neely and Bure in the HHoF.

03-07-2014, 02:26 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
I think Recchi will get in. He's got the pretty numbers people look at to get in. 500+ goals, 1500+ points, a couple Cups, etc. No personal hardware though, but I think he still gets in.
To put his stats in perspective:

NHL Regular Season (all time rank in parenthesis):

Games played - 1652 (4th)

Goals - 577 (19th)

Assists - 956 (14th)

Points - 1533 (12th)

Pretty darn impressive when you consider all the great NHL players in history.

Flyers Regular Season (all time franchise rank in parenthesis):

Games played - 602 (8th)

Goals - 232 (11th)

Assists - 395 (4th)

Points - 627 (8th)

Pretty good indeed on a great franchise with a 45+ year history.

Percent of NHL Stats as a Flyer:

Games played - 36.4%

Goals - 40.2%

Assists - 41.3%

Points - 40.9%

Rex played pushing 40% of his NHL career as a Flyer and had over 40% of his outstanding scoring stats while in O&B... I'd say that the Flyers can arguably claim him much more easily than any other franchise.

My argument is that if the Flyers are going to retire HHoF inductees that had most of their team career stats with them... they should consider Rex to have been a major piece of their franchise history and retire his number as they did with Howe and the previous HHoF Flyers players... and not treat him as a players who merely played here such as Coffey, Sittler, etc.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 03-07-2014 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Corrected NHL Games Played Rank number.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
His outside chance ( ) is because most of his success in the league came with different organizations and he only had two good playoff runs in Philly, neither resulting in an appearance in the Stanley Cup Final.

Recchi is a sure bet for the HHoF; just don't know that his accomplishments with the Flyers merit a number retirement.
Haha... no offense and nothing personal

Look at my last post where I detail how he had a major portion of his stats while here and played a major portion of his career in Philly... I agree that he didn't appear in a SCF with the Flyers, but that was not due to his failing to get them points... Howe was I agree more instrumental in controlling their destiny being a great #1 D-man... but a Forward is not as clear cut a controller on the team; he needed his fellow forwards to do their share... I argue that a #1 D-man playing monster key minutes is more important, but that should not detract from all Rex did.

Parts of ten Seasons is not dropping by for a cup of coffee, and is for many NHL players a full career... When Recchi gets in the HHoF, the Flyers Organization would be foolish not to recognize one of the greatest careers in Modern NHL history by retiring his number and claiming him... at least in part.

Old
03-07-2014, 02:46 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
I never understood this argument. I want to raise the bar, not continue to muddy the waters.

"So and so got in." Okay, let's stop doing that. It's a slippery slope. Then lesser and lesser people get in because they keep barely touching that bottom rung. At some point, you have to stop lowering the bar.

Sure, if Lindros is better than Neely and Bure, then he is above that low bar, so he gets into the HoF, -- but I'm talking about a retired number floating magnificently above the heads of the fans who have stuck with this team while it has continued to flounder Cup after Cup. Lindros deserves to be in the history, maybe even in the Hall, but in the Pantheon? Nah.
IMHO, a HHoF player who was for a major part of his career a Flyers has to be recognized by the Organization and have his number retired... no matter if they/we agree with the induction or not. If #88 gets in the Hall, his number goes in the WFC (or whatever it will be called then) rafters... It just has to.

That said, I still think the Flyers handle this better than the 76ers and are a tougher sell... but to me there has to be a criteria that defines the retirement, and it has to be tough and adhered to, with little exception.

Old
03-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Hiesenberg

Recchi is 12th all time in points? Yea, he's in...easily.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:56 PM
sharpeye97

I thoroughly believe the Flyers will retire Big E's 88 if he is elected into the Hall. Solely based on his dominance in the league throughout the 1990s. His fallout was pretty bad but I believe it has been patched up since then.

sharpeye97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 03:15 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
The Neelys and Bures and Lindroses are outliers only because they had shorter careers. It goes back to my argument that these guys were great for a short period where guys like Federko and Shanahan were really good, but never great, for a longer period.

It all comes down to whether or not shorter term greatness trumps longer term goodness (? ) and, in some cases, that's why you see guys like Neely and Bure in the HHoF.
You hit the nail on the head. Short-term greatness doesn't do it for me. Lindros's career was derailed by injuries. If he stayed healthy, he would easily be a no-brainer. But his injured really hurt his career. He was dominant for 3-4 seasons, good for a couple more, and nothing special the rest. The season in which he played the most games, his PPG were not nearly as high as his seasons where he played less games. From 1999-2007, he had two PPG seasons. That's basically half his career where he was just good. If you play half your career at an underwhelming level, a quarter at a good level, and a quarter at a dominant level, that's not HOF worthy. Maybe if he was dominant for 50% I'd be saying different, but he just wasn't. He had four or so truly great dominant seasons. The rest were either underwhelming or just good. I'd rather see 10 82-point seasons form a guy than 4 110-point seasons and 6 60-point seasons.

Old
03-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Unstable

31 is retired.

It's not in the rafters because of optics, but no one will ever wear it again.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 03:52 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Recchi is 12th all time in points? Yea, he's in...easily.
He's also 4th all time in games played with 1652. His stats benefited from longevity. He'll likely get in one day but I don't think he's a slam dunk right away.

http://www.espn.go.com/nhl/history/l...at/gamesplayed

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 03-07-2014 at 03:58 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 04:12 PM
CTU2fan

It seems we've got it narrowed down to Lindros and Recchi. Rex is a sure-fire HoFer so it's just a question of did he spend enough of his career as a Flyer to merit a jersey retirement? I kind of feel like between no Cup here and < half his career here means his #8 doesn't go up. A little off-topic, but is it surprising to anyone else how much Rex kind of bounced around, given the quality of player he was?

As for Lindros, my guess is he eventually gets in the HHoF. And when that happens his #88 likely goes up. And it should. Personally, I like putting guys in who have an impact on the game, and Lindros certainly did, above and beyond the points he scored. Certain guys, you watch them play, and you go "wow". That's what Bure was, with his speed, and he got in. And Lindros had that too. You just didn't see guys with that combination of size, strength, physicality, and skill. You still don't, really. To me, that's the "fame" part of the Hall of Fame.

There's another number I'd retire, and he hasn't been mentioned, and it will never happen. He had his night, and got into the Flyers HoF, and that's likely as far as it goes because he didn't win a Cup here and he's not getting into the HHoF. But #27 should go up, for some of the same reasons as #88. Hexy got hurt and wasn't the same guy in the 2nd half of his career, but when he got here he was a pretty fantastic goalie. And besides that Ron Hextall was kind of a sensation around the league. There was nobody like him, the way he played, his aggressiveness, and he revolutionized the way goalies handle the puck. If you remember when he came up, you'd watch games and the guys covering him were amazed by what he was doing.

And they could always retire 12 for Kerr and Gagne. I can see a jersey hanging, 12 KANYE. Ha.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He's also 4th all time in games played with 1652. His stats benefited from longevity. He'll likely get in one day but I don't think he's a slam dunk right away.

http://www.espn.go.com/nhl/history/l...at/gamesplayed
Over the course of those 1652 games Rex has averaged 92.8 ... PPG... including early years and his winding down seasons... He had been desired by teams up until he hung up his skates on his own call. Yes, he has the 12th most points in NHL in part because he had a long career but he had a long career because he was effective and desired throughout. We are all aware that it is not as simple as play more seasons and you get more points... or else players would just keep playing until they had elite totals... players must earn their spots and their ice-time that would net them all those points.

Rex came upon the scene at the tail end of the soring boom... later than when #99 and others were scoring as they willed, but certainly before the scoring total dipped drastically. His long career spanned all sorts of Eras. His 92.8 PPG Average over so many seasons to me says a lot... He was 4th all time in Games and with that he was also 12th in Points, but that is not to say that all a players has to do is play and the ranking will rise... nor that is also not to say that all players who want to play earns a spot -- ask Gagne... ask LeClair -- Injuries and being effective and being able to be more than a one trick pony dictates earning the HHoF is being able to be great for a long time. Rex was great for many seasons and if he is not elected to the Hall as soon as he is qualified, I will be surprised... if not within the first few years I will be shocked. IMO it is a slam dunk that he gets the call right away... based on his stats coupled with his three rings with three different teams and the amount of seasons where he was not only effective but in which he excelled and was desired.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 03-07-2014 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Corrected NHL All Time Points amd Games Played Ranks.
Old
03-07-2014, 04:29 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
It seems we've got it narrowed down to Lindros and Recchi. Rex is a sure-fire HoFer so it's just a question of did he spend enough of his career as a Flyer to merit a jersey retirement? I kind of feel like between no Cup here and < half his career here means his #8 doesn't go up. A little off-topic, but is it surprising to anyone else how much Rex kind of bounced around, given the quality of player he was?

As for Lindros, my guess is he eventually gets in the HHoF. And when that happens his #88 likely goes up. And it should. Personally, I like putting guys in who have an impact on the game, and Lindros certainly did, above and beyond the points he scored. Certain guys, you watch them play, and you go "wow". That's what Bure was, with his speed, and he got in. And Lindros had that too. You just didn't see guys with that combination of size, strength, physicality, and skill. You still don't, really. To me, that's the "fame" part of the Hall of Fame.

There's another number I'd retire, and he hasn't been mentioned, and it will never happen. He had his night, and got into the Flyers HoF, and that's likely as far as it goes because he didn't win a Cup here and he's not getting into the HHoF. But #27 should go up, for some of the same reasons as #88. Hexy got hurt and wasn't the same guy in the 2nd half of his career, but when he got here he was a pretty fantastic goalie. And besides that Ron Hextall was kind of a sensation around the league. There was nobody like him, the way he played, his aggressiveness, and he revolutionized the way goalies handle the puck. If you remember when he came up, you'd watch games and the guys covering him were amazed by what he was doing.

And they could always retire 12 for Kerr and Gagne. I can see a jersey hanging, 12 KANYE. Ha.
As much as I love Hextall (and I do love Hextall...named my cat after him), his number can't go up. He was a fan favorite for sure, but if he goes up, then Gagne goes up, then LeClair goes up, then Desjardins goes up, then Timonen goes up, etc. Maybe if he brought home a Cup he'd be up there, but if you let him go up, then the discussion starts for other guys. (this is right in line with my feeling on the HOF, haha)

Old
03-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

The saddest thing out of everything for me with Lindros was his last year in Dallas.

He started the season looking great, 12 points in his first 14 games with some dominating games, then each game I saw after he just looked like he was fighting a losing battle with his body... I mean he was wincing every shot he took and taking his glove of almost every break to flex his wrist. It was also silly the amount of games he would leave in the 2nd or early 3rd... and then play the next game, it was like once every 2-3 games.

Towards the end of the year it seemed he was actively trying to avoid shooting due to his wrist. Ofc there were still some great glimpses of the real Lindros... he had a stupid assist I remember where he fought of like three guys and made a beautiful pass...

Even the year before in Toronto he could still just take over games and look like he was one of the best players in the NHL (though he did at times in Dallas, though not for whole games, just 10 mins here and there)... though only maybe 1 every 10 instead of the whole time like he did before. Like he was still capable but doing so took its toll, but he still could if needed.

His last 4 years he was at 54 point pace per 82 still... so a good 2nd liner production wise with a shell of a body.

Old
03-07-2014, 04:42 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
The saddest thing out of everything for me with Lindros was his last year in Dallas.

He started the season looking great, 12 points in his first 14 games with some dominating games, then each game I saw after he just looked like he was fighting a losing battle with his body... I mean he was wincing every shot he took and taking his glove of almost every break to flex his wrist. It was also silly the amount of games he would leave in the 2nd or early 3rd... and then play the next game, it was like once every 2-3 games.

Towards the end of the year it seemed he was actively trying to avoid shooting due to his wrist. Ofc there were still some great glimpses of the real Lindros... he had a stupid assist I remember where he fought of like three guys and made a beautiful pass...

Even the year before in Toronto he could still just take over games and look like he was one of the best players in the NHL (though he did at times in Dallas, though not for whole games, just 10 mins here and there)... though only maybe 1 every 10 instead of the whole time like he did before. Like he was still capable but doing so took its toll, but he still could if needed.

His last 4 years he was at 54 point pace per 82 still... so a good 2nd liner production wise with a shell of a body.
The last half of his career (6 years) he was under a PPG (.895 PPG to be exact). The first half (6 years) he was at 1.4 PPG. It really is a tale of two careers. .895 PPG doesn't get you into the HOF. 1.4 PPG does. The problem is the first half of his career was only 360 games. 60 games per season average over a six year span of 1.4 PPG is not enough for me to get you in the hall. The other 358 games where he scored less than a PPG really hurts him. I mean think about that...you are going to put a guy in the HOF based on 360 games? That doesn't do it for me.

Old
03-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Aside from Ashbee, the Flyers have clearly laid down the standard that you get your number retired when you get in the Hall of Fame. Lindros will eventually get in the Hall of Fame, and his number will then be retired.
This is the policy. Look how long we waited to retire Howe's number.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
It seems we've got it narrowed down to Lindros and Recchi. Rex is a sure-fire HoFer so it's just a question of did he spend enough of his career as a Flyer to merit a jersey retirement? I kind of feel like between no Cup here and < half his career here means his #8 doesn't go up. A little off-topic, but is it surprising to anyone else how much Rex kind of bounced around, given the quality of player he was?..............
It wasn't a bounce around in the sense that he was not wanted... he bounced around for a while there where he was shipped out as a Rental and traded for as a Rental -- In the Pens case he was traded and then signed back as a FA after the season -- He was obtained a Rental and then had the right to select he own next team as a Free Agent... He retire with Boston who was in the hunt for the Cup and there was no need nor desire to get what they could from him as a Rental. He retired by choice from the Bruins. The Canes obtained him as a Rental and won a Cup with him, and Atlanta obtained him for a run, after which he chose to move on.Tampa Bay was able to sign him and then moved him as a Rental to Boston who won with him and then re-signed. You may all him a Journey Man I suppose, but not in the usual sense.

When he left the Flyers it was only because Clarke chose only to commit to a contract before the Lock Out with Primeau -- who riled the NHLPA by not testing the Market and signed at a great discount -- Clarke had no idea what the Market would be coming out of the next CBA, so he either offered greatly reduced contracts or told them to wait... Recchi wanted to retire a Flyer and settle in the Area but was insulted by the situation, and when Pittsburgh offered a huge contract before the Lock Out he chose to sign there... his wife was from there and they changed plans and decided to settle in Pittsburgh. As things transpired he was later traded as a Rental and then returned for another contract which was cut short by yet another Trade Deadline deal... And he just kept on playing as he was still desired.

Sorry for the long answer haha but it was kinda a long story.

(I'm feeling like a real Recchi apologist just about now LOL)

Old
03-07-2014, 04:56 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Over the course of those 1652 games Rex has averaged 92.8 ... PPG... including early years and his winding down seasons... He had been desired by teams up until he hung up his skates on his own call. Yes, he has the 4th most points in NHL in part because he had a long career but he had a long career because he was effective and desired throughout. We are all aware tyat it is not as simple as play more seasons and you get more points... or else players would just keep playing until they had elite totals... players must earn their spots and their ice-time that would net them all those points.

Rex came upon the scene at the tail end of the soring boom... later than when #99 and others were scoring as they willed, but certainly before the scoring total dipped drastically. His long career spanned all sorts of Eras. His 92.8 PPG Average over so many seasons to me says a lot... He was 12th all time in Games and with that he was also 12th in Points, but that is not to say that all a players has to do is play and the ranking will rise... nor that is also not to say that all players who want to play earns a spot -- ask Gagne... ask LeClair -- Injuries and being effective and being able to be more than a one trick pony dictates earning the HHoF is being able to be great for a long time. Rex was great for many seasons and if he is not elected to the Hall as soon as he is qualified, I will be surprised... if not within the first few years I will be shocked. IMO it is a slam dunk that he gets the call right away... based on his stats coupled with his three rings with three different teams and the amount of seasons where he was not only effective but in which he excelled and was desired.
You're getting your numbers wrong he was 4th all time in games played & 12th in all time points. He'll find himself in the Hall one day but he's a guy who waits a few years to me. He's definitely not a first ballot guy in my opinion.

As for his jersey being retired here, he bounced around too much during his career to be really considered for it in my opinion. He had impact on the franchise in a similar fashion to guys like Leclair or Desjardins & I wouldn't hang their numbers up neither.

I wouldn't rage if he found himself up there but I wouldn't mind it if he didn't neither. I just don't see it happening in my opinion & that's perfectly fine in my opinion.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 03-07-2014 at 05:01 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

Quote:
The last half of his career (6 years) he was under a PPG (.895 PPG to be exact). The first half (6 years) he was at 1.4 PPG. It really is a tale of two careers. .895 PPG doesn't get you into the HOF. 1.4 PPG does. The problem is the first half of his career was only 360 games. 60 games per season average over a six year span of 1.4 PPG is not enough for me to get you in the hall. The other 358 games where he scored less than a PPG really hurts him. I mean think about that...you are going to put a guy in the HOF based on 360 games? That doesn't do it for me.
That is kind of cherry picking and skewing heavily... the next 200 games he was at over 1.15 PPG in one of the lowest scoring eras in history. Joint 4th in NHL scoring during those three years in PPG after Jagr, Sakic and Forsberg and equal with Bure. (all HOFers or future) And being 3rd in the NHL in GPG in that time... as a centre, who score less goals on average than wingers.

First 9 seasons (558 games): 1.31 PPG.

(he was 6th all time in PPG after his first year on the Rags (well 7th if active included due to Jagr.)... where he was over PPG and top ten in the NHL, he was over PPG every year of his first 9... in some pretty low scoring years.)

Lindros career after 01-02: 1.31 PPG
Jagr career after 01-02: 1.32 PPG

Look at the comp through those 9... and where he ranked: http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...oints_per_game

Last 4 seasons (202 games): 0.66 PPG.

It was a tale of two parts... but the 1st half was closer to 600 games than 300-400 games. And in those 9 years he was scoring at a rate that put him among the greatest to ever play the game... Jagr was the only guy amongst his peers who could better him production wise over that timeframe.

Last edited by Appleyard: 03-07-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old
03-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
You're getting your numbers wrong he was 4th all time in games played & 12th in all time points. He'll find himself in the Hall one day but he's a guy who waits a few years to me. He's definitely not a first ballot guy in my opinion.

As for his jersey being retired here, he bounced around too much during his career to be really considered for it in my opinion. He had impact on the franchise in a similar fashion to guys like Leclair or Desjardins & I wouldn't hang their numbers up neither.

I wouldn't rage if he found himself up there but I wouldn't mind it if he didn't neither. I just don't see it happening in my opinion & that's perfectly fine in my opinion.
You are right, he was 4th all time in GP... an accomplishment in it's own right... I apologize.

That said, his numbers when stacked up All Time in the NHL is IMO clearly ones that call for first ballot... You have a voter who is looking at those numbers and has to ask himself if this man belongs in the Hall, how can he say he isn't? Clear cut in my book... Now, if you have enough people who just won't vote on the first ballot as a rule, that is something else.

Look at the recent first rounders -- I don't have the data on hand -- and I'm certain you will not find better numbers and circumstances than his. Playing the 4th most games in itself is a reason... 12th most point ever is another. Honest voting dictates that he be elected. I don't believe that there are enough people who have personal no first ballot rules to eliminate him... based on players being selected on the first ballot in recent years. Seems it comes down to the slam dunks and the hanging in there candidates... Of those, how could Recchi's numbers seriously allow them to keep him waiting.

In these days of Free Agency and large contracts coupled with it being a Business on both sides, I don't see how a player who has played almost 40% of his long career with one club and the other 60+% with six or so others could not be considered a large piece of the former club's history. Tell me please who if not the Flyers should honor him? Should his number not be honored by any Organization? I would bet that the Pens and Bruins will make a big deal upon his induction... I think though that the Flyers are the ones to embrace him and honor him by retiring his number... If not the Flyers than who begs to be answered. We would be foolish IMO to not embrace him... Coffey, Sittler, etal... no way.

Hey... I'm still pissed that Jimmy Watson has not been honored by installation in the FHoF... what the Hell do I know.

EDIT: BTW... If Rex's playing with all those other teams is a reason, what can we say about Lindros who traveled around after a lesser amount of years here? How could we justify retiring his number officially?

Last edited by Sawdalite: 03-07-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old
03-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
He never should have been traded. They should have fired Clarke and the medical staff instead.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote