HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The official Preds free-agent talk thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
The official Preds free-agent talk thread

and who you'd might consider on the Preds from this list

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=131219 - Flyers buy out Leclair & Amonte

http://www.tsn.ca/news_story.asp?ID=131386&hubName=nhl - Coyotes buy out Savage

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...25_111722_5028 - Red Wings drop the axe

http://tsn.ca/news_story.asp?ID=131399&hubName=NHL - Habs decline team option on Brisebois

The unofficial - Players bought out and their former teams - list:

John Leclair - Flyers
Tony Amonte - Flyers
Brian Savage - Coyotes
Derian Hatcher - Red Wings
Darren McCarty - Red Wings
Ray Whitney - Red Wings
Patrice Brisebois - Habs

Last edited by Dave is a killer: 07-25-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old
07-25-2005, 01:18 PM
handtrick

I don't want any of those bought out so far on the Preds.

Old
07-25-2005, 01:48 PM
beautypersoni

I like Brian Savage, but while we need pure goal-scorers, we don't need wingers. If he could play center, I'd pick him up.

Anyhoo...

Old
07-25-2005, 02:43 PM
handtrick

let me clarify....darren mccarty could possibly fill our enforcer role with some scoring potential...but I don't see him being had for the $500-700k budget we have for that spot

Old
07-25-2005, 04:26 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Lets hope Turgeon and Guerin bite the dust...

07-25-2005, 04:31 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Lets hope Turgeon and Guerin bite the dust...
along with Foote

Old
07-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Strummer
along with Foote
I can't imagine the Avs without Foote.......or Forsberg, but with their announcement today, it looks like they are going to have to start some wheeling and dealing or hope they sign for less than they are worth.

Old
07-25-2005, 04:44 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
I can't imagine the Avs without Foote.......or Forsberg, but with their announcement today, it looks like they are going to have to start some wheeling and dealing or hope they sign for less than they are worth.
other gms are gonna force lacroix's hand and make him pay 7.8 mil for forsberg & that's 29 mil for 11 players or let go of him ... still have to sign hejduk & tanguay at 7.6 mil combined ... 13 players at 36.6 mil ... hhhmmm

Old
07-25-2005, 06:06 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

The Avs are in what you'd call "cap hell," and I can't say I feel sorry for them..but if it comes down to Foote or Forsberg...Foote will no longer be an Av. I'd love to see him come our way...he's just what the doctor ordered...but I see us getting outbid on that one. We can hope, though.

Old
07-25-2005, 07:39 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Foote is a guy I love to hate, can't stand him on another team but would love to see him play for the Preds, that and I'd say we would have a good shot at signing him (maybe 3.5-4 million) where as Forsberg I highly doubt would consider signing with Nashville, as well as he could go for 7-8 million.

Old
07-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade
Foote is a guy I love to hate, can't stand him on another team but would love to see him play for the Preds, that and I'd say we would have a good shot at signing him (maybe 3.5-4 million) where as Forsberg I highly doubt would consider signing with Nashville, as well as he could go for 7-8 million.
I can see that as you also like the Wings with the Preds. The Avs are the team I follow behind the Preds, and I have to say - I love what Foote brings to the game, Passion, Hard-nosed hitting and aggression, a never-die attitude, and the past two years....an efficient offensive skillset. My guess if the Avs cannot sign him - he will be bought at a high price AND will go to a cup winning team.

Old
07-25-2005, 09:30 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
My guess if the Avs cannot sign him - he will be bought at a high price AND will go to a cup winning team.
Possibly, then again I expect teams like Nashville will have a decent shot at getting someone like Foote, granted we may not get him, but we have a much better shot now than ever. As such, if someone like Foote is available, why not push hard to try to get him, we've got nothing to lose and obviously landing a name like Foote (or insert any other top star players name here) would not only help the team but of course would help draw more attendees.

Just my .02 though, but god I miss talking hockey, thank god the NHL is back!!!!!

Old
07-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Holik would be interesting to take a look at as he would add size to our small center position.....I'm not sure if he is bought out yet, so keep your eyes out guys.

Old
07-25-2005, 09:35 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Holik would be interesting to take a look at as he would add size to our small center position.....I'm not sure if he is bought out yet, so keep your eyes out guys.

Holik is a better version of Greg Johnson. He's a checker\PK guy that might score 15-20 goals....a VERY good third line center...maybe the best...but not what we need.

Old
07-25-2005, 09:39 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

One thing is for sure: This is going to be a very exciting UFA season, every team will realistically have a chance to land a big name.

Old
07-25-2005, 10:00 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Holik is a better version of Greg Johnson. He's a checker\PK guy that might score 15-20 goals....a VERY good third line center...maybe the best...but not what we need.
True, but I am definitely not adverse to adding him, especially considering the size and attitude he would bring to the team.

Old
07-25-2005, 10:03 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
True, but I am definitely not adverse to adding him, especially considering the size and attitude he would bring to the team.

I just think the money would be better spent elsewhere. It doesn't address the hole in the top two center spots that we have...so we'd still have to sign someone. I'd rather take that extra money and get an even better center...someone of the Demitra caliber.

Old
07-25-2005, 11:18 PM
predhead1

Quote:
I just think the money would be better spent elsewhere. It doesn't address the hole in the top two center spots that we have...so we'd still have to sign someone. I'd rather take that extra money and get an even better center...someone of the Demitra caliber.
It depends on what you think we need from that position. Yes, it would be nice to have more offense, and Demitra would certainly bring that. but Holik is far better defensively, possibly the best defensive center in the game, and he has the size to go up against the #1 center on every other team. He has decent skills as well.

The problem as I see it is Legwand. If he could ever blossom into the offensive threat we all thought he would be, then we'd definitely want to jump at someone like Holik, but as it stands, we are offensively and defensively short at center. hell, I wouldn't mind us signing two free agents at center to address some of our problems there, or possibly making a trade. We've got a lot of young talent on the wings, so why not make a deal for a player at what is arguably the most critical position after goaltender?

Old
07-26-2005, 06:21 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Sorry to hi-jack your thread, Joe...but I think we'll get more use out of it, this way

At any rate...there's some talk that Minnesota might let Alexandre Daigle go.

Now, I know that he's had a rocky past...but in all honesty, I was very impressed with him last season, and I think he was at times better than Gaborik. He's pretty cheap at this point in his career, and I think he'd be a fantastic guy to try out on our second line. He's got some nice scoring ability(21 goals on a goal-starved Minny team, last season) and is a strong skater\passer. Now, it's no sure bet that Minny wno't re-sign him, but since they do now have Brian Rolston...who knows. I'd love to see us take a chance on him, if he's available.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:49 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Sorry to hi-jack your thread, Joe...but I think we'll get more use out of it, this way

At any rate...there's some talk that Minnesota might let Alexandre Daigle go.

Now, I know that he's had a rocky past...but in all honesty, I was very impressed with him last season, and I think he was at times better than Gaborik. He's pretty cheap at this point in his career, and I think he'd be a fantastic guy to try out on our second line. He's got some nice scoring ability(21 goals on a goal-starved Minny team, last season) and is a strong skater\passer. Now, it's no sure bet that Minny wno't re-sign him, but since they do now have Brian Rolston...who knows. I'd love to see us take a chance on him, if he's available.

Personally, I think his goal-scoring came directly from the Wild's system and lack of a go-to guy. His only real plus attribute is his blinding speed. In the Wild's gameplan (trap, counterattack, etc.) he was perfect. In Nashville, I see him getting similar oppurtunities, but more as an Antti Laaksonen/Richard Park type role (to keep using Wild players as analagies here). In Pred land, I would expect something around 13/15 much like Orszagh production with a lot more speed but less grit.

Old
07-27-2005, 05:25 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=131601

Now, here's a thought...if he were available for 6 million a year...

would we go balls-out, let go of Sullivan...and sign Thornton? Boy, I'd think long and hard about that. Thornton is a top 5 player in the league...

Old
07-27-2005, 05:34 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=131601

Now, here's a thought...if he were available for 6 million a year...

would we go balls-out, let go of Sullivan...and sign Thornton? Boy, I'd think long and hard about that. Thornton is a top 5 player in the league...
It's interesting to think about. He'd command at least 6 million, but we can afford to do it if we drop Sullivan. Unfortunately, so can many other teams. You know what I'd rather do? Throw offer sheets to both Kovalchuk and Heatley to the tune of 6+ million a year for several years. It forces Atlanta to either tie up 1/3 of their payroll with two players or give up a young stud. It's not really a bright move by Nashville, but boy would it put Atlanta in a bind.

In reality, Thorton is one of the few guys that could realistically command near the per player cap. If we are working under a self-imposed 26-28 million dollar cap, I just don't see us doing it. If we were to open up the purse strings a little more, it could happen.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 07-27-2005 at 05:41 PM.
Old
07-27-2005, 05:44 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Well, it gives instant credibility to Nashville in terms of the fans, media, and even other free agents. It PROVES that the team wants to win. If Sullivan is let go, it would put us with a payroll of 17 or so million. Add Thornton at 6 million, we're up to 23 million..we still have 3 million to sign a defenseman(or go with what we have and keep Sullivan)

It's not going to happen, but it's an interesting thought.

Old
07-27-2005, 05:46 PM
Pred303

you can officially add mckenzie to the list of free agents that won't be back with the preds now i think....personally i'm glad,and comments made during the lockout didn't exactly raise my opinion of him either

Old
07-27-2005, 05:48 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303
you can officially add mckenzie to the list of free agents that won't be back with the preds now i think....personally i'm glad,and comments made during the lockout didn't exactly raise my opinion of him either

I think a lot of that was taken into consideration, and maybe management worries that he's still carrying an axe to grind and could be bad for team chemistry. At any rate, Big Mac is 35...and Hordy is 24. Can't complain about that.

Closed Thread