HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bergs on 690

Old
03-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
On this board, that one inch matters. Trust me.
Just so many jokes to make here...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Haha...I had a hard time holding back on that one.

03-07-2014, 11:44 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I always wondered if many on this board suffered from some napoleon complex height insecurity, but now that you mention it....

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Haha...I had a hard time holding back on that one.

sorry...

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:48 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:

"Under six feet, ugh!"
"Another smurf!"
"This team refuses to get bigger."
"**** this ****."

Anyway, who cares? As it was said already, you go BPA in the first two, maybe three rounds and then start taking your dark horse picks in the later rounds.
And thus why I hated the McCarron pick.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:51 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
That's ridiculous. They draft the BPA with a modicum of consideration for our needs.

Players like Reway and Lekhonen are great addition to our pipelines. With them in (and having more successful development), Collberg became... superfluous.
Fixed it for ya.
su·per·la·tive
səˈpərlətiv/Submit
adjective
of the highest quality or degree.
"a superlative piece of skill"
synonyms: excellent, magnificent, wonderful, marvelous, supreme, consummate, outstanding, remarkable, fine, choice, first-rate, first-class, premier, prime, unsurpassed, unequaled, unparalleled, unrivaled, preeminent; More
antonyms: mediocre

VirginiaMtlExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:54 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaMtlExpat View Post
Fixed it for ya.
su·per·la·tive
səˈpərlətiv/Submit
adjective
of the highest quality or degree.
"a superlative piece of skill"
synonyms: excellent, magnificent, wonderful, marvelous, supreme, consummate, outstanding, remarkable, fine, choice, first-rate, first-class, premier, prime, unsurpassed, unequaled, unparalleled, unrivaled, preeminent; More
antonyms: mediocre
Thanks!

You must have guessed I wasn't sure of the word..

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:56 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Thanks!

You must have guessed I wasn't sure of the word..
You were on the money with the prefix, but sort of lost the map after that .

I don't know if French is your first language, but I can tell you that knowing French is a good basis for mastering English. Most of the English words of Latin origin got there by crossing the Channel, i.e.: imported from French. "Superflu" is just another example.

VirginiaMtlExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:59 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaMtlExpat View Post
You were on the money with the prefix, but sort of lost the map after that .

I don't know if French is your first language, but I can tell you that knowing French is a good basis for mastering English. Most of the English words of Latin origin got there by crossing the Channel, i.e.: imported from French. "Superflu" is just another example.
Yhea, Fr is my first language. It's just that I somehow got bogged down on Superlative when I read Starship Troopers

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 12:05 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBergevin View Post
Up until a certain point. What I don't like is how the Habs often make these weird stabs in the dark in round 6 and 7 when they could take a stab at a 200+lb overager. Worst case scenario you have a couple of guys like Parros in your farm system. Best case scenario you draft a guy like Clowe.
People claim stuff like this without actually looking at the guys Montreal drafts low. It just so happens the smaller guys end up panning out.

2003: Jimmy Bonneau, Oskari Korpikari
2004: Jon Gleed
2005: Philippe Paquet
2006: Pavel Valentenko
2007: Andrew Conboy and Joe Skejskal
2008: Steve Qualier

This year they drafted Connor Crisp outside of his expected positioning to make sure they landed a big forward with character and upside. He's the biggest player on the Sudbury Wolves.

Montreal could have definitely taken Clowe in 2001 but that same year in the low picks they took 6'4", 200+lb Guelph Storm defenceman Andrew Archer.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 12:33 PM
habitue*

When you watch the Habs play against LA or the Blues, you know what it means to not having enough size.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Marc Bergevin on 690 this morning...a few of his comments:

- Been tough week but deal with what we are dealt.
- Reached out to Islanders about a month ago but they still in it, thought Vanek would go down to last day.
- Islanders wanted Collberg. He had similar players in Hudon, Ghetto, etc... allowed him to do this.
- Prices lower on rentals this year, thinks it is changing a bit. Something he needs to prepare for in future on his players.
- Weaver was insurance on Gorges injury.
- As somebody who has been traded a few times, he knows it takes time to gel with team. It will be overwhelming at first for Vanek.
- Called Bozon dad tonight, difficult times, there's no update. Habs doctors are working with Tim Bozon doctors.
- Like what Tinordi brings to Habs. Changed momentum in LA game.
- Price day-to-day, getting better everyday. With injuries never know, but thinks he will be back soon.
thanks

I also like Hudon and Andrighetto more than Collberg from what i saw at the training camp and WJCs.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:13 PM
ChoseLa

Is there a traditional press conference scheduled for today?

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habstraction View Post
When you watch the Habs play against LA or the Blues, you know what it means to not having enough size.
Normally you'd see that when a Kings player goes to the face off circle, he sneezes suddenly and Desharnais is lying on the ice and has a concussion...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post

sorry...
Haha...good call.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Tyrus
5 ft 8 in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habstraction View Post
Having a bigger blue-line would prevent us from coughing the puck away? Tinordi would disagree.

Tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Smoky Thompson

Thanks for this

Smoky Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I won't necessarily agree with having other players to make up for losing Collberg. Collberg is bigger than most of them. Have a thicker body than most of them. And Hudon isn't the same player than Collberg is. Hudon doesn't possess top 6 natural skilled qualities. Players that do, like Reway, Andrighetto and Lehkonen, looks more frail than him and/or smaller. I would bet that while he does believe it too, they also bet that he had more things to work on than the others. Though.....it's not necessarily true 'cause a guy like Reway has A WHOLE LOT to work on as well.....Which makes me also believe that Reway might have been in the mix as well but it's the Isles that asked for Collberg in the end.

In the end, we should always be careful with "But we had a similar package" every time a deal happens. Chances are we didn't have a similar package 'cause the other team might have wanted THAT guy. And while WE think that our guy is equivalent to THAT guy.....well it might not be the case for the team you trade with. I guess that the only way you can say that is when it only involves picks. Yet, what's better a 3rd in 2014 and a 5th in 2015 to Ottawa? Or a to Montréal? What is the evaluation of our team or the Sens team or any team that you're getting draft picks? Are those teams going to be better or worst than us? Does it matter, do they take that into consideration? I guess they do for 2014, surely less for 2015 as everything can happen.....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:05 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

"Under six feet, ugh!"
"Another smurf!"
"This team refuses to get bigger."
"**** this ****."

Anyway, who cares? As it was said already, you go BPA in the first two, maybe three rounds and then start taking your dark horse picks in the later rounds.
I agree. Though my BPA might not be your BPA but I get the idea. And now, it's even more true with that other great prospect for great prospect trade we just saw with the Fasching for McNabb trade. Even if you think you have no need for a prospect, you can trade them.

But then, it's not only on this board now. Bergevin has clearly proven it by sometimes going for BPA, some other times not going for it, as the McCarron pick proved it.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
And thus why I hated the McCarron pick.
BPA doesn't refer to some mystical list where every single player is ranked in term of quality. We have no idea if McCarron was actually Timmins' conception of the BPA (which can obviously change from a scout to another) or if he decided to select McCarron only because he was big (which I doubt).

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:15 PM
FXBrassard

You guys should stop worrying about Collberg, he has bust written all over him. I have never seen a Swede play with such low intensity since Jonas Hoglund. He may have a great shot and good vision but to me, he needs to earn at least 15 pounds, get much quicker and add a lot of intensity to his game if he wants to be a 2nd liner one day. I'd be totally shocked if that happened.

Trading him while he's still worth something was a great move from Bergevin, a move I was hoping he'd do since I saw Collberg in the preseason. I'd definitely rank Collberg behind Hudon, Andrighetto and Lehkonen at this point. He may have better offensive vision than all of those but others areas of his game are too severely lacking.

FXBrassard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:23 PM
hockeyfan2k11

It's sad that people who claim to be intelligent hockey fans and watch Habs hockey extensively claim that size, toughness is not an issue. It floors me that people can be so stubborn.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
It's sad that people who claim to be intelligent hockey fans and watch Habs hockey extensively claim that size, toughness is not an issue. It floors me that people can be so stubborn.
People are still trying to find excuses for our last 20 years of mediocrity...

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:36 PM
FireBergevin
Wild & unwilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
People claim stuff like this without actually looking at the guys Montreal drafts low. It just so happens the smaller guys end up panning out.

2003: Jimmy Bonneau, Oskari Korpikari
2004: Jon Gleed
2005: Philippe Paquet
2006: Pavel Valentenko
2007: Andrew Conboy and Joe Skejskal
2008: Steve Qualier

This year they drafted Connor Crisp outside of his expected positioning to make sure they landed a big forward with character and upside. He's the biggest player on the Sudbury Wolves.

Montreal could have definitely taken Clowe in 2001 but that same year in the low picks they took 6'4", 200+lb Guelph Storm defenceman Andrew Archer.
Thanks honeybuns but I've been following Habs drafts since the early 90s.

The Clowe example was not a criticism of the Habs draft from 2001, I was using him as an example to say that the Canadiens could draft more players of his ilk in rounds 6 & 7. Crisp and Conboy were not drafted in the 6th and 7th rounds so I'm not entirely sure why you're mentioning them.

Specifically I'm talking about the curious selections of Patrick Johnson, Scott Kishel, Patteri Simila and Dustin Walsh.

FireBergevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Mon Amour View Post
People are still trying to find excuses for our last 20 years of mediocrity...
If the team was coached by Babcock or Hitchcock we would be 1st overall

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote