HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

This will be the off season the Leafs get a center!

Old
03-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
There is a difference between Toronto refusing to give up those assets and top centers not being available.

I think those top centers are not available.
And I agree with you, some like to think though we just don't have what it takes. Which is silly, most #1 C's aren't available and if they are we're not giving up a Rielly, Kadri and/or something else for one.

Stats01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 09:14 AM
Schennanigans

vCash: 500
The only way I see us getting a centre is to upgrade over Kadri, so a trade would see him going the other way. There isn't really any centres available that would be much better at the same age.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 09:19 AM
DyerMaker66

Why upgrade over Kadri when you can upgrade over Bozak?

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 09:40 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragao6 View Post
The writing is on the wall fellas!!! Johny Tavares will make his trade request soon as the Isle have completely cleaned house.....Johny is coming home this summer!!
Hopefully we can get rid of Phaneuf in this lol but I expect Kadri and Gardiner will be included and 2015 1st....which Im completely fine with for JT!!!
Just like all those other Toronto-native stars that wanted to play for Toronto, right? I remember when Rick Nash was destined to be a Leaf...

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 09:41 AM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Why upgrade over Kadri when you can upgrade over Bozak?
Because Bozak has chemistry with their top line wingers, is more responsible defensively, and Kadri is a more attractive trade piece (contract, age, potential).

Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 10:29 AM
Fogelhund

There are a number of things required by the Leafs to take the next step... first the team is still one of the five youngest teams in the league... so there are players that need to mature and learn the game.

Second Leafs fans need to find some patience, you've got Bozak who while not a traditional 1C making his linemates better, he is certainly good enough to allow the line to work. Kadri is in his sophomore is top 30 in points for C... on a PPG basis, both Bozak and Kadri are top 30 in PPG.

Our 3rd and 4th line C's need upgrading, that much is for certain, but maybe we should see if Holland, Gauthier etc.. can fill those rolls, or if Bolland can come back on a 1year contract to prove he can play post injury.

Mostly though, the Leafs need to replace one, maybe two D, into more defensively responsible D, who can move the puck out of the zone, along with a system that moves the puck out.

The only hope of upgrading at this point is if Stastny goes to UFA, and then we are just one of many bidding. I doubt he makes it to UFA anyway.

Patience.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 10:40 AM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Trap View Post
Look at the top two C for the top 5-7 teams in the league then ask the question again.

Look at where the Leafs sit in league scoring the last three years.

colchar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Erik Alfredsson
Beast Mode Cowboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Look at where the Leafs sit in league scoring the last three years.
Look at the Leafs playoff record in the last 3 years.

Erik Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Dragao6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Just like all those other Toronto-native stars that wanted to play for Toronto, right? I remember when Rick Nash was destined to be a Leaf...
EXACTLY!!!...only difference is the Leafs might be a consistent play-off team now where as before when Nash got traded they were the joke of the league.
JT makes them a contender!!! And JT isnt afraid to play in To and has showed in past playing for Leafs IS a big deal for him!!
If you think this star is happy seeing his team clean house and make them a constant contender for #1 draft pick every year, losing after losing then your kidding yourself. Very Nash-Columbus like situation!!

Dragao6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Dragao6

Quote:
Yes. Like the writing was on the wall when Tavares pulled a Lindros and refused to report to LI.
Like the writing was on the wall when JT's ELC ended and he signed an offer sheet to play in Toronto....

Oh wait.....those fantasy wet dreams never happened. Damn
Its coming brother....like I said in an earlier post...NY Isle cleaned house so your star isn't gonna be happy to wait another 4/5 years of losing liek Nash wasn't...Toronto is now a play-off team in the weak East unlike before, we got assets...JT is coming home...heard it here first...Boomer Essiason will be tweeting this very soon lol

Old
03-08-2014, 12:52 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 521
Quote:
EXACTLY!!!...only difference is the Leafs might be a consistent play-off team now where as before when Nash got traded they were the joke of the league.
JT makes them a contender!!! And JT isnt afraid to play in To and has showed in past playing for Leafs IS a big deal for him!!
If you think this star is happy seeing his team clean house and make them a constant contender for #1 draft pick every year, losing after losing then your kidding yourself. Very Nash-Columbus like situation!!
Tavares is probably one of the most professional and mature athletes you will see. Funny to see him behave more professionally , then 50 an 60 something year old Toronto media members

Tavares team made the playoffs last year, took a step back this year. He is 4 years from being a UFA. He is 1 year from a new arena and his team's owner is trying to toss millions around, to upgrade the team.

Find a link from a credible source, that JT wants out.

If you cannot, I guess this thread joins the dozens of other pathetic " player X wants to be a Leaf" threads

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 01:42 PM
wintersej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Reim View Post
I think they should get another number 1 Dman rather than a elite top center. Bozak has shown he can be a #1 to the leafs. He centers on of the best lines in hockey this year, plays the PP, the PK, and constantly is making key defensive plays or creating offense. Is he better than a Toews or Kopitar? Hell no, but he is just as good as Kreji (sp?).

Kadri's 2nd year has him a little snake bitten but most players experience that. He can still hit 60 points this year. If anything, the leafs would benefit from two things. A #1 D like I said, and a Vanek type winger to play with Kadri to make two true first lines. Vanek could be the Kane for the leafs.

Leafs need a better top 4 defensive Dman, and another #1. Same strategy as Chicago with Keith and Seabrook. Have a Phaneuf/Gio or Phaneuf/whatever type of deal. With those adjustments, they are just as much of a contender as any team. However getting those peices is the hardest part.

TL;DR STOP making #1 C to Toronto proposals. We need another #1 Dman more than a #1 C. If we are going to give up huge peices, we need to address our biggest needs.
Look I like Bozak and how he fits and agree with the overall sentiment of your post, but saying that Bozak is just as good as Krejci is silly.

Bozak is first amongst centers in shooting % (min 40 games played). Unless he turned into Joe Sakic, that isn't sustainable, but, yes, in the past 40 games Bozak has produced more offensively than Krejci while playing with one of the top couple wingers on the planet.

I'd take Krejci's resume over Bozak's in a nanosecond. I know Krejci seems like he has been around forever, but he is actually a smidge younger than Bozak and has beaten Bozak's career best point total 5 different times in his career (nevermind Krejci leading the playoffs in scoring in two of the last three years).

wintersej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Dragao6

Quote:
Tavares is probably one of the most professional and mature athletes you will see. Funny to see him behave more professionally , then 50 an 60 something year old Toronto media members

Tavares team made the playoffs last year, took a step back this year. He is 4 years from being a UFA. He is 1 year from a new arena and his team's owner is trying to toss millions around, to upgrade the team.

If you cannot, I guess this thread joins the dozens of other pathetic " player X wants to be a Leaf" threads
BUAHAHAHA what NY Islanders did to this team this year and at this trade deadline was them throwing Millions around and upgrading this team??? You seem to knwo him personally, very cool!!!

Give me a break!!! IT'S COMING MY FRIEND...ITS COMING! I'll do you one better and try to get it from him personally. Friend of mine's wife is friends with JT's girlfriend....when I get the scoop Ill let you know first LOL

Old
03-08-2014, 05:18 PM
kihei

vCash: 518
Given the way Bozak has played this year, I don't think we need to spend assets on centres. Draft a promising one in the draft, or maybe trade down to do so if it can be accomplished reasonably economically. Trades should target shoring up the defense, preferably a replacement for Franson.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 05:25 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 521
Quote:
BUAHAHAHA what NY Islanders did to this team this year and at this trade deadline was them throwing Millions around and upgrading this team??? You seem to knwo him personally, very cool!!!

Give me a break!!! IT'S COMING MY FRIEND...ITS COMING! I'll do you one better and try to get it from him personally. Friend of mine's wife is friends with JT's girlfriend....when I get the scoop Ill let you know first LOL
I have always been impressed with the my cousin's lawyer's wife's eye doctor is also the eye doctor of player X and he says

Still waiting for Tavares to pull a Lindros and refuse to sign a nyi rookie contract.
Still waiting for JT's ELC to end and for him to sign that Leaf offersheet:

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Leafs Win The Cup

leafs already have a #1 centre in Tyler Bozak...Why waste assets to get one they already have?

Leafs Win The Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Spazmatic Dan
Force Beyond Measure

That really depends on if anyone has one for sale this summer.

I don't see any available in free agency and the Leafs don't have too much cap space even if there were.

I think a #2 defenseman would be more beneficial this offseason anyways. Bozak and Kadri are good centers, and Kadri still has potential. Best to wait and draft well, unless someone puts one up for sale at an affordable price (keeping in mind the Leafs' prospect cupboard isn't exactly stacked at this point).

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 06:50 PM
syc

Quote:

Give your head a shake. Everybody wants out of Long Island. More so then ever now!!!

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Cleatus

Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
I think it's easy to see that the Leafs are actually decent in the center department, and need more d-men who actually know how to play defense (preferably right handed).

Therefore, defense should be Nonis's #1 priority this off-season (cough, Tyler Myers, cough).

Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 10:04 PM
nmbr_24

Do the Leafs have trouble scoring? I thought they were pretty good there and what they need to improve on is team defense. I am not sure exactly how much getting a better top line center is going to help them there.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 11:33 PM
bobbyt91
plz quote cuz bored

Quote:

Listen I get it the Isles are your team and the thought of JT leaving sucks but if the Isles keep the same gong show going he will want out. Will it be to the Leafs? I have no clue but point still stands the Isles need to put up or trade the kid and give him a chance.

bobbyt91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 11:36 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Wings will probably resign Legwand this summer so we will trade you Stephen Weiss I cant see how we can afford to have both on our team. Pretty sure that Weiss would waive for his hometown Leafs.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 11:45 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyt911 View Post
My gut feeling is this will be the summer they pull the trigger and pick up a top 6 C.

Statsny will be a UFA but the $$ he will get may not match his impact, plus we already have 1 big UFA contract.

My spidey sense is that it will be a hockey trade. The Leafs have some attractive prospects and could play the Rielly card or the Gardiner+Kadri card to go for a big name. Kadri would only go if incoming player is of similar age and a better player.
Leafs need defence, not a center.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 11:49 PM
bobbyt91
plz quote cuz bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Leafs need defence, not a center.
funny part is I agree 110% I just have this gut feeling they get one this off season. Actually I feel it will be 2 notable acquisitions. 1 up front and 1 D. Prob gonna loose Bolland, Kulemin and Franson.

bobbyt91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 04:08 AM
stavs

I can see Tavares leaving quite easily if the Islanders dont somehow make significant upgrades to turn their team into a legit playoff team. He will be in his prime then when his contract expires, why would he continue to stay on a losing team. Im not saying the Isles will be in that position, but it is a definite possibility. They have a similar trend that the Oilers have, a boatload of prospects and young talent, but still manage to suck.

stavs is offline   Reply With Quote