HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lightning re-sign Ryan Callahan (6 years, $5.8m AAV, partial NTC)

Old
03-17-2014, 01:23 PM
robertguess2013

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
One is not like the others.
I actually thought a few were not like others. Just giving idea of style of player? As close as could come up with cause all bring different set of skills or level of skills?

Also kopitar might score more but his defense is elite? He brings the intangibles they all do?

Leadership, physicality, defense, hard working, grinder, can score, hits the net, protects team mates, fights, disrupts the other team, blocks shots, goes to dirty areas, team first mentality.

I think those I named are same guy different shades for each but the same guy. They might all be better than Callahan. I am ok though at 28 to me the 6 years and 6 million is not a bad deal. Others are better sure but Callahan brings enough of that type of play and seems a very good guy not like some others could have named which you would want to be a part of the organization your building

Palat brings a bit of this play. Think Kucherov will shock within 2 years and be like Palat and Palat will become like Callahan.

I think Callahans skill set is lower than his hockey IQ and vision his body will not match what his true greatness is but when you put him in the right situation he will really click and become a great player for your team.

Last edited by robertguess2013: 03-17-2014 at 01:31 PM.
robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 01:25 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
Other than Brown and maybe Ladd, I don't really agree with the rest.

I'd say his game is most similar to Brown minus the diving and dirty hits.
Agreed. Brown is the first one I thought of. Maybe a bit less physical (read: fewer knee on knee hits), but I think Callahan may be better defensively. Similar play type though.

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 02:17 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBO View Post
Trying to get a value on Callahan.

What other players in the league play a similar game to Callahan?
Backes
Ladd
Dustin Brown but without being a *********

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Lightningfan24
Para Para Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
Other than Brown and maybe Ladd, I don't really agree with the rest.

I'd say his game is most similar to Brown minus the diving and dirty hits.
Callahan is likely between a Brown and Backes, which is why Cally and Backes played very well together in the Olympics.

Backes and Cally both play top mins on the PK, Brown does not. Backes and Cally are also better goal scorers than Brown.

Backes, imo , is under payed, Brown took a hometown discount and is making around 6 Million.

Lightningfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 03:00 PM
fulmine
In Y We Trust

Here are the current salaries for some of the players mentioned that are comparable to Callahan.

Not exactly a bolt to bolt comparison as their deals were not all negotiated at the same time and will certainly be higher once/if they reach UFA status like Callahan.

Brown - $5,875M
Backes - $4,500M plus NTC
Ladd - $4,400M plus modified NTC
Kessler - $5,000M plus NTC
Lucic - $6,000M plus modified NTC
ROR - $5,000M

So the question is if Callahan is a good value at his asking price of $6,250M to $6,500M per year plus a NTC?

fulmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Lightningfan24
Para Para Paradise

Quote:
Here are the current salaries for some of the players mentioned that are comparable to Callahan.

Not exactly a bolt to bolt comparison as their deals were not all negotiated at the same time and will certainly be higher once/if they reach UFA status like Callahan.

Brown - $5,875M
Backes - $4,500M
Ladd - $4,400M
Kessler - $5,000M
Lucic - $6,000M
ROR - $5,000M

So the question is if Callahan is a good value at his asking price of $6,250M to $6,500M per year plus a NMC?
With the tax situation, he could take 5.7 Million with Tampa, and it would be like him taking around 6.3 Million in NY. So Florida has an edge with that. His agent even mentioned that in a recent interview.

Lightningfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 03:10 PM
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin

vCash: 134
Quote:

Brown - $5,875M
Backes - $4,500M plus NTC
Ladd - $4,400M plus modified NTC
Kessler - $5,000M plus NTC
Lucic - $6,000M plus modified NTC
ROR - $5,000M

So the question is if Callahan is a good value at his asking price of $6,250M to $6,500M per year plus a NTC?
That, and the cap is going up, and some of those guys (especially Backes) are criminally underpaid.

Don't really see him being like Lucic at all.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 10:58 PM
AllAbout813

6,000k seems like fair value for Cally to me. A - little - more or a little less I'd be OK with..

AllAbout813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 12:01 AM
Tampabear

Was at the game tonight and watched him grind all night. Dug the puck out of the corner to set up Stammer's goal. Pay the man.

Tampabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 02:01 AM
Rschmitz

As much as he has been a joy to watch, we can't give him 6 million.

Rschmitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 02:03 AM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschmitz View Post
If we're close to a deal and only off by a few hundred thousand, we will go to 6 million. It's not worth losing a player like that over a few hundred thousand dollars.

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 02:17 AM
DFC

Quote:
If he plays like he is right now for the rest of the season, we can. Every year FA's get more money. That's just the new NHL, and the trend isn't going to stop. What Callahan brings to the table is something that's not exactly easy to find. He's had an impact on the way the entire team plays.

$6 million might be an overpayment, but it might be a necessary evil. In two years, if he's still playing anything like he has been over this past week (and pre-AV NYR), he'll probably at about market value.

DFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 02:19 AM
ClassicMach

I'm coming around on him...

Not sold on $6m, especially with the time he wants, and how much money *might* have to get shelled out when all these ELCs finish up.

But, I'm entertaining the thought on seeing him signed. More than I could say at deadline day.

ClassicMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 02:32 AM
2 Weekes Notice

If the Palahan line (I don't remember who coined that, but good work and kudos to you) keeps being this awesome, $6 million is fair to me. Definitely a new element that makes us look like we could be in the Cup mix sooner than planned.

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 05:33 PM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
stevie is really good at getting people in here to take a little less.

I fully expect this scenario

6 years 5.5 million or more likely 5 years at 6 million.

They might just work it out to the 5.75 to 5.8 at 5 years. This is my bet on the numbers.

I am happy with that all day.

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:09 PM
DFC

That extra year, I think, will be a bigger sticking point than the money. Yzerman doesn't seem to like giving out more than 5 years, and Callahan's closing in on 30. Of course, if the cap continues to rise, the contract gets a little easier to swallow every year.

As of right now, Callahan looks like a piece we've been missing for a long time. It's going to be hard for Yzerman to just let him walk, regardless of what Callahan's asking, because there aren't many replacement options out there.

Old
03-18-2014, 11:48 PM
hfgreg
Obviously...

Calling it now.. 5 years $28.5 million. lets see how wrong I am.

hfgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 01:05 AM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfgreg View Post
Calling it now.. 5 years $28.5 million. lets see how wrong I am.
I'll say it takes 5 years, $31 to get it done. (Because Cally wants 6 years)

Any other predictions?

Old
03-19-2014, 01:12 AM
Rschmitz

You all are crazy. Sure, 6 million is ok, for a one year deal. You can't give a forward with a game like Callahan's, at his age, a long term deal at 6 million. Your asking for Malone dejavu except probably a lot worse.

Old
03-19-2014, 01:15 AM
hfgreg
Obviously...

Quote:
You all are crazy. Sure, 6 million is ok, for a one year deal. You can't give a forward with a game like Callahan's, at his age, a long term deal at 6 million. Your asking for Malone dejavu except probably a lot worse.
Not saying its sane.. just saying to get it done that's what it's going to take. Cap will continue to go up and the numbers are less than what he reportedly is asking for.

Personally, I would rather pay him 6 mil for 3 years than 5 mil for 5 years but he wouldn't accept that. I agree that his type of play can cause his game to deteriorate quite rapidly.

hfgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 04:00 AM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfgreg View Post
Not saying its sane.. just saying to get it done that's what it's going to take. Cap will continue to go up and the numbers are less than what he reportedly is asking for.

Personally, I would rather pay him 6 mil for 3 years than 5 mil for 5 years but he wouldn't accept that. I agree that his type of play can cause his game to deteriorate quite rapidly.
This. Sometimes you have to accept a bad deal because the alternative is worse. It doesn't matter if Callahan is worth the deal he's asking for. At least, it doesn't matter much. His relative value to us, right now, is worth a lot more than his over all value. He's basically a perfect fit, and there's no one else like him that we can get at a better price without giving up significant assets.

Old
03-19-2014, 04:03 AM
Jacques Trap*

If they pony up the $$$ he wants, yes. If they don't be will go to the highest bidder.

Jacques Trap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 04:57 AM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
This. Sometimes you have to accept a bad deal because the alternative is worse. It doesn't matter if Callahan is worth the deal he's asking for. At least, it doesn't matter much. His relative value to us, right now, is worth a lot more than his over all value. He's basically a perfect fit, and there's no one else like him that we can get at a better price without giving up significant assets.
I don't think the alternative is worse. Callahan types are more plentiful than you might think. Sure, its a welcome sight, I love what I am seeing from him, but Bergenheim and Downie had similar styles of play and Yzerman seen them off just fine. Granted, Callahan is a step above those two.

Also, its not just managing the cap, but being fair to the players within your system. If your going to sign Callahan to 6 million per season, you can't turn around then and ask Johnson to sign at a discounted price. That is the biggest reason why I'd let Callahan walk.

Old
03-19-2014, 05:35 AM
DFC

Quote:
I don't think the alternative is worse. Callahan types are more plentiful than you might think. Sure, its a welcome sight, I love what I am seeing from him, but Bergenheim and Downie had similar styles of play and Yzerman seen them off just fine. Granted, Callahan is a step above those two.

Also, its not just managing the cap, but being fair to the players within your system. If your going to sign Callahan to 6 million per season, you can't turn around then and ask Johnson to sign at a discounted price. That is the biggest reason why I'd let Callahan walk.
Johnson and Callahan are in drastically different situations. By the time Johnson's a UFA, his price might well be higher than 6 million. The cap is going nothing but up, and so are player prices. Each year's free agents make more than the previous year's.

And Callahan-types aren't that common. There are a handful of them in the league, and each one would cost us a bundle of prospects. I'd rather overpay the one we already have, and the one we gave up MSL for.

Not only that, but Callahan is GOING to get his money from somewhere, and that's only going to drive the price on that type of player up. So if we want someone similar to Callahan, we'll wind up paying them Callahan-money anyway.

This is the reality of modern day NHL contracts.

Old
03-19-2014, 06:15 AM
angelsil
On Thin Ice

Quote:
Bergenheim and Downie had similar styles of play and Yzerman seen them off just fine.
and our game suffered for lack of their type of play...

We may not be able to pay his asking price, but we absolutely should at least try to make it work. The only excuse for not trying to re-sign (barring Cally just not wanting to play for Tampa Bay) is if we need cap space for a top D, which we arguably need more.

angelsil is offline   Reply With Quote