HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lightning re-sign Ryan Callahan (6 years, $5.8m AAV, partial NTC)

Old
03-19-2014, 03:04 PM
Rschmitz
Yzermaned

vCash: 500
@ All of the TJ responses

Yeah. Obviously Johnson isn't getting that kind of money yet. That is not what I meant. Anyways, looks like there is a clear divide on the Callahan contract, very interesting.

Rschmitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 03:12 PM
HoseEmAllAround
Extend Matt Carle

Idk, when guys are saying to dump Malone and trade Teddy, the Callahan contract definitely won't hurt as bad. Starting to convince me a bit. If that line lights it on fire again tonight, I might have turned.

HoseEmAllAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 03:30 PM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopThereItIs View Post
Idk, when guys are saying to dump Malone and trade Teddy, the Callahan contract definitely won't hurt as bad. Starting to convince me a bit. If that line lights it on fire again tonight, I might have turned.
Don't forget Salo, and, soon enough, Brewer. The only real red flag is if Callahan's contract winds up hurting our ability to negotiate with Steven Stamkos when the time comes.

But the thing about Callahan is he provides ingredients that we've been missing for a long time. We could afford to lose him if we had another guy who could bring something even remotely close to what Cally brings. But the only guys we have who fit that decision are years away, and who knows if they'll bring Callahan's leadership ability.

Stamkos/Callahan seems to me like a great leadership core to build around. There's a sort of yin yang to them.

DFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 04:21 PM
Stamkos Intolerant
Here comes the $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
Don't forget Salo, and, soon enough, Brewer. The only real red flag is if Callahan's contract winds up hurting our ability to negotiate with Steven Stamkos when the time comes.

But the thing about Callahan is he provides ingredients that we've been missing for a long time. We could afford to lose him if we had another guy who could bring something even remotely close to what Cally brings. But the only guys we have who fit that decision are years away, and who knows if they'll bring Callahan's leadership ability.

Stamkos/Callahan seems to me like a great leadership core to build around. There's a sort of yin yang to them.
Even with the Callahan contract, we'll have more than enough money to give Stamkos, Hedman, and Bishop raises. When it becomes time for Drouin's renewal, Carle's contract will have expired. We'll be fine cap-wise.

Stamkos Intolerant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Unfinished Business

Send a message via AIM to Unfinished Business Send a message via MSN to Unfinished Business Send a message via Yahoo to Unfinished Business
Dont worry on stamkos contract.

Also new CBA he is not getting paid what you all think he will get max and by my math is 8 years at 8.2 million. That is the most we can pay him. Unless he wants to do a 2 year deal and than come back in two years since will have the expansion cap will hit 90 million he will be 8 years at 10 million after the 2 year deal.

Stevie is going to say Steven here is the MOST i can pay you. Sign here lol.

Next this is a great read

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...and-tampa.html

Unfinished Business is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 05:27 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

I'm hoping his wife falls in love with Florida and helps to nudge him to stay

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 09:38 AM
Nick of Time
HFBoards Sponsor

Throwing these contracts out here for Ryan Callahan, what do you guys think....

5.5 million a year for 7 years (5 years NTC, last 2 years modified move clause) 38.5 Million total.

or

6.0 Million a year for 6 years (5 year NTC, no clause last year) 36 Million total. Basically what the Rangers offered without the NTC.

or

100 Billion Dollars for 100 years, Muhahahahaha!

Nick of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 11:23 AM
More 2004
should I stay or go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers1979 View Post
Throwing these contracts out here for Ryan Callahan, what do you guys think....

5.5 million a year for 7 years (5 years NTC, last 2 years modified move clause) 38.5 Million total.

or

6.0 Million a year for 6 years (5 year NTC, no clause last year) 36 Million total. Basically what the Rangers offered without the NTC.

or

100 Billion Dollars for 100 years, Muhahahahaha!
SY has made it clear that he won't be giving players more than 5 years. A player like Cally while very valuable to the makings of a good team, isn't getting a 6 or 7 year deal from us.

His all out playing style really worries us fans injury wise. I see a 4 year deal as a more viable option for us.

More 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 11:49 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfgreg View Post
SY has made it clear that he won't be giving players more than 5 years. A player like Cally while very valuable to the makings of a good team, isn't getting a 6 or 7 year deal from us.

His all out playing style really worries us fans injury wise. I see a 4 year deal as a more viable option for us.
He gave Carle a 6 year deal. Callahan will not be signing anywhere for 4 years.

6 years at 35mil is what I've said with 4 years full NMC, 1 year limited NTC and last year nothing. I think Callahan wants 7 years so maybe he'll take less a year for the extra year so 7 at 40mil.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 11:50 AM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 806
Quote:

Really? When?

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 11:57 AM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

vCash: 134
Quote:

I agree with none of this.

The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 12:04 PM
More 2004
should I stay or go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Really? When?
I should of phrased that differently. Other than the Carle deal he seems to favor 4-5 years deals. I just don't see us signing a player like Cally to a 6-7 year deal.

More 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 12:45 PM
MattM92

vCash: 50
Cally will get 6 years and just under 6 mil per year with a full NMC. Yzerman knows how key a player like Callahan is and he won't let him slip through his fingers unless Callahan/his agent refuse to be reasonable. Don't see him reaching July 1st.

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 01:35 PM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
Cally will get 6 years and just under 6 mil per year with a full NMC. Yzerman knows how key a player like Callahan is and he won't let him slip through his fingers unless Callahan/his agent refuse to be reasonable. Don't see him reaching July 1st.
I'm not sure that this is what WILL happen, but I agree that this is the best we can hope for. Callahan's made himself very valuable to us in a very short period of time, and scoring has pretty much nothing to do with it. The years are more of a concern than the money, and I don't like the precedent that 6 year contracts set for non-franchise players. But we're a far better team with him than without him, and he's going to help ease a lot of our young players into the NHL by doing their dirty work and setting an example.

Old
03-27-2014, 02:58 PM
Nick of Time
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Hate to say it because been loving watching this team, love the city, and the fans have been great but he is not going to sign for only 4 years, not even 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
Which would be like making 6.5 million plus in NY. Get er done! I think the NMC will get him signed.

Old
03-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Unfinished Business

Send a message via AIM to Unfinished Business Send a message via MSN to Unfinished Business Send a message via Yahoo to Unfinished Business
I still say 5.7 to 5.85 at 5 years and if have to will add the sixth and deal is done within a couple of weeks of season ending.

He is that important. Whether he gets injured that stuff happens but he doesnt take a shift off as long as the guy plays hard even if has injury history I wont complain.

We need him to teach connolly and killorn stuff etc. Playing at net holding own against bigger players he is a piece we need. Is surprising didnt expect him to fit this well.

Old
03-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Yzlamic Preacher*
Believes in Yzergod

At the top end for him I would want 6/6. 4 years NMC, 1 year Limited, last year nothing. Do I hope he will sign for less, sure. Do I think he would take that offer from Yzerman in a tax free, sunny state, that's great for a family, I am not sure.

Yzlamic Preacher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 03:07 PM
Unfinished Business

Quote:
Hate to say it because been loving watching this team, love the city, and the fans have been great but he is not going to sign for only 4 years, not even 5 years.

Which would be like making 6.5 million plus in NY. Get er done! I think the NMC will get him signed.
Disagree and reasoning is simple. How much does he want to win? Buffalo he signs 6-7 years even. He has a shot at wining maybe in 5th season he is 34 at that time almost washed up and done.

I think this is deciding factor so yes think is a chance he goes 5. I do think we will do six at a little less than what he got offered in rangers but not what buffalo can pay.

I think winning to a guy like callahan will mean everything and easy decision for all involved. He will take the less year for the chance to win during his prime and the less 500k per year. Figuring in tax differences.

He will like to get the cup and rub it in to NY a little bit also over arguing over an NTC when he finally agreed to taking less money and sather screwing him.

Those wounds go deep to warriors and he is flat out an warrior.

Stevie has proven with st louis he will sign that second contract at good money for the guys we need and whom prove self.

12 million more for the two years but 4 wasted years has to mean more than that extra 12 million to me when talking the numbers we are talking 30 million total?

I want to prove a point myself if im callahan you screwed up. Here let me show you etc. If takes 5.7 even that is close to 6.3 better deal than the ranger deal. Cause of the taxes.

Everything factored in yeah he does the deal we might have to bend give the six years im still unsure on that 50/50 yet we will if that is the difference imho.

Last edited by Unfinished Business: 03-27-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old
03-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Nick of Time
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
Disagree and reasoning is simple. How much does he want to win? Buffalo he signs 6-7 years even. He has a shot at wining maybe in 5th season he is 34 at that time almost washed up and done.

I think this is deciding factor so yes think is a chance he goes 5. I do think we will do six at a little less than what he got offered in rangers but not what buffalo can pay.

I think winning to a guy like callahan will mean everything and easy decision for all involved. He will take the less year for the chance to win during his prime and the less 500k per year. Figuring in tax differences.

He will like to get the cup and rub it in to NY a little bit also over arguing over an NTC when he finally agreed to taking less money and sather screwing him.

Those wounds go deep to warriors and he is flat out an warrior.

Stevie has proven with st louis he will sign that second contract at good money for the guys we need and whom prove self.

12 million more for the two years but 4 wasted years has to mean more than that extra 12 million to me when talking the numbers we are talking 30 million total?

I want to prove a point myself if im callahan you screwed up. Here let me show you etc. If takes 5.7 even that is close to 6.3 better deal than the ranger deal. Cause of the taxes.

Everything factored in yeah he does the deal we might have to bend give the six years im still unsure on that 50/50 yet we will if that is the difference imho.
Excellent points, and he wants to be on a winning team, he has a lot of pride, and playing with a guy like Stamkos is huge. So I don't think he will take an offer for teams like Buffalo. If Tampa can give him a similar deal to what the rangers offered him but with some job security he should sign with Tampa.

Obviously his agent will start off high but there will be no pressure like there was at the trade dead-line so I can see a deal happening, and Yes, that tax situation is huge.

Old
03-27-2014, 04:04 PM
Unfinished Business

Quote:
Excellent points, and he wants to be on a winning team, he has a lot of pride, and playing with a guy like Stamkos is huge. So I don't think he will take an offer for teams like Buffalo. If Tampa can give him a similar deal to what the rangers offered him but with some job security he should sign with Tampa.

Obviously his agent will start off high but there will be no pressure like there was at the trade dead-line so I can see a deal happening, and Yes, that tax situation is huge.
the five or six years is handled by the bump we give over what was finally offered the 6 x 6 that sather messed up.

Why am unsure on the 5 years. That bump is large amount if he gets say 5.85 for five years. that is like 6.5 million is basically same as 6 x 6 I think

I am pulling the 5.85 out of marties deal think he was 5.83 might be wrong. But 32.5 million instead of 36 is not much money at all as long as is 5 years nmc.

I still think the 5.7 for 6 is what happens. that is a win all around he gets 6.3 a little more than what rangers offered everyone should be happy. If takes 6 x 6 which I doubt cause he agent mentioned taxes we would do that imho.

I dont have a problem at 6 times 6. He might have injury or injuries anyone can.

He plays one style though and that is all out all the time. So know when he is on the ice gonna get a guy who does what should be done and good things will happen.

Unlike malone or purcell or other floaters I have had issues with from day they walked into the door.

Even Carle I dont have issues with Carle never did never thought he was taking time off. So I was always ok he is overpaid but he works out there. He is not highly skilled but he works out there will step into pucks whatever takes to win most of the time.

Just saying a lot of guys were down on carle at one point I wasnt I knew what we were getting didnt like the deal accepted it cause knew if played to his level would all work out. He is 100% really non physical but brings enough that im ok. He got 5.5 for 6? I think?

Giving cally something similar is night and day.

Old
03-27-2014, 05:08 PM
newham89

I see no reason why we can't give him what he wants. We are a young team which projects to get younger over the next few years too with Drouin, Vasliveski and Koekkoek coming in on ELCs. I can't see his contract hampering us down the line with cap going down. especially when you factor in Brewer, Malone and Salo's contracts coming off the books too. 6x6 would be fine by me.

newham89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 06:29 PM
DFC

I've seen nothing to indicate Callahan would be willing to take 4 years. It's probably overly optimistic to think he'll even take 5 years.

Old
03-27-2014, 06:58 PM
dbieon12
Vinik-Yzerman-Cooper

vCash: 50
Anything over 5.5M/yr is overpaying. Let's not waste cap space guys!

03-27-2014, 07:12 PM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbieon12 View Post
Anything over 5.5M/yr is overpaying. Let's not waste cap space guys!
Who are we reserving it for?

Old
03-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Nick of Time
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
Who are we reserving it for?
Brad Richards?