HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs sign Hoffmann

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2005, 03:15 PM
timlap

vCash: 500
Leafs sign Hoffmann

Who?

http://www.torontomapleleafs.com/sto...2&e=AdminGroup

Old
08-12-2005, 03:16 PM
It Kills Me

Marlies?

Boom, explosion of signings!

Edit: maybe he's the goon (Bertuzzi) like guy I wanted the Leafs to sign in order to protect Lindros and Allison.. because if anyone tries to cheap shot/ injure (clean or not) them.. we could send him out.

Althought I'm pretty sure Recidvist would be completely against it.

Old
08-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Douggy

6'4 240

Sounds painfull. Considering nobody has heard of him, I bet he's just an AHL/ECHL guy.

Old
08-12-2005, 03:19 PM
timlap

The Leafs page says he's a forward, but the hockey database says he a defenceman. I hope he plays D, considering his offensive offensive numbers.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisp...id%5B%5D=65796

Old
08-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Raging Bull

Fergy obviously has one thing in mind:

To physically pound the competition. Were turning into the Blue and White Shirt Bullies.

Old
08-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Douggy

Hockey DB says he's 6'5 248!!

Old
08-12-2005, 03:32 PM
timlap

It seems clear that he is a defenceman. The Leafs web guys need to brush up on their proofreading. I gues the Marlies have acquired themselves a giant.

http://www.uscho.com/rosters/?season...am=27&gender=m

Old
08-12-2005, 03:34 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
It seems clear that he is a defenceman. The Leafs web guys need to brush up on their proofreading. I gues the Marlies have acquired themselves a giant.

Another tower.. How tall could the Leafs be?

Old
08-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
Hockey DB says he's 6'5 248!!
Tee hee, nice.

Old
08-12-2005, 03:36 PM
hockeyfan031

Hoffman played here in Cleveland last year for the Barons. I believe he spent every minute at forward. To be frank, he couldn't fight at all. He may have clearly won two or three fights all year, and even that might be a stretch. Hoffman hasn't learned to utilize his size when he's going toe-to-toe with someone; when he does, he'll be a lot better.

As for his play - he's not the guy you want to have with the puck, but he's an excellent hustler. On many occasions, he outworked the rest of his teammates. I can't foresee him playing in the NHL just yet, but he wouldn't be a bad guy to have on the Marlies. I wouldn't have minded seeing him back in Cleveland next year, based on work ethic alone.

Old
08-12-2005, 03:36 PM
berney fkaj

Quote:

I agree, there website is often full of mistakes. And is not updated as often as it should be.

Old
08-12-2005, 03:39 PM
berney fkaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan031
Hoffman played here in Cleveland last year for the Barons. I believe he spent every minute at forward. To be frank, he couldn't fight at all. He may have clearly won two or three fights all year, and even that might be a stretch. Hoffman hasn't learned to utilize his size when he's going toe-to-toe with someone; when he does, he'll be a lot better.

As for his play - he's not the guy you want to have with the puck, but he's an excellent hustler. On many occasions, he outworked the rest of his teammates. I can't foresee him playing in the NHL just yet, but he wouldn't be a bad guy to have on the Marlies. I wouldn't have minded seeing him back in Cleveland next year, based on work ethic alone.

Nice, could fit in very nice for the Marlies. Thanks the the excellent imput.

Old
08-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
how old is he

Old
08-12-2005, 03:42 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan031
Hoffman played here in Cleveland last year for the Barons. I believe he spent every minute at forward. . .
So he did play forward, eh? Well, good to know.

Too bad. I was looking forward to having Woz and him on the blueline, along with maybe Jay Harrison and Stephen Later. Not much for experience, maybe, but they would excel at big-ness.

Old
08-12-2005, 03:43 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander
how old is he
25 this September. Not too young.

Old
08-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Precious few spots on the Marlies blueline... someone of quality is going to be playing in the E, or will be packaged for picks or some help up front.

Coliacovo (if he plays in Toronto, they have to send someone else down)
Bell
Harrison
White
Hedin
Kronwall
Wozniewski
Later

... plus there's still the veteran AHL presence of a Marc Moro to factor in. That's a lot of blueliners, and not a lot of ice to go around.

Hmm... I wonder how White would look converted to wing?

Old
08-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Prince Mercury

I like what I hear about him so far!

Old
08-12-2005, 04:11 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones
Coliacovo (if he plays in Toronto, they have to send someone else down)
Bell
Harrison
White
Hedin
Kronwall
Wozniewski
Later

... plus there's still the veteran AHL presence of a Marc Moro to factor in. That's a lot of blueliners, and not a lot of ice to go around.

Hmm... I wonder how White would look converted to wing?
Right now, including Cola we only have 6 NHL defencemen signed. If Pilar signs, we have 7. No one need be sent down, unless Howard Berger is right and we sign another d-man (possible).

Harrison is a UFA, I suspect we have seen the last of Hedin, and to top it off a poster above says that Hoffmann played only forward in Cleveland last season.

That thins it out in a hurry.

And no, White should stick to defence.

Old
08-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Right now, including Cola we only have 6 NHL defencemen signed. If Pilar signs, we have 7. No one need be sent down, unless Howard Berger is right and we sign another d-man (possible).

Harrison is a UFA, I suspect we have seen the last of Hedin, and to top it off a poster above says that Hoffmann played only forward in Cleveland last season.

That thins it out in a hurry.

And no, White should stick to defence.
I guess 3 seasons was all Harrison was going to get. They may sign him yet, however, since they don't have much stay-at-home presence... at Ricoh. (I keep wanting to say "on the Rock"). But since he's UFA, they could theoretically sign anyone in his spot. Hedin... if he's back in Sweden for good, I guess we can close that chapter as being officially disappointing, given the rep he had when he came over as a steady and reliable two-way guy...

With the Leafs: McCabe, Kaberle, Klee, Khavanov, Berg, Pilar (RFA), Colaiacovo, Belak (with Domi signed on wing, Belak can count as a defenceman) = 8

With the Marlies: Bell, White, Hoffman (maybe wing), Wozniewski (who did not impress), Kronwall, Later...

You're right, that does look a lot thinner. Even with a Marc Moro in the mix. Ugh.

Oh, and as for the rumour from he-we-do-not-name, Scott Lachance is the name I'm hearing. Could be worse, as a utility body goes, but only if we're also going to be able to address that top-6 hole up front. And only if it means that the kids get primo development time with Maurice at Ricoh.

Old
08-12-2005, 04:47 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones
I guess 3 seasons was all Harrison was going to get. . . . Hedin . ..

With the Leafs: McCabe, Kaberle, Klee, Khavanov, Berg, Pilar (RFA), Colaiacovo, Belak (with Domi signed on wing, Belak can count as a defenceman) = 8

With the Marlies: Bell, White, Hoffman (maybe wing), Wozniewski (who did not impress), Kronwall, Later...

You're right, that does look a lot thinner. Even with a Marc Moro in the mix. Ugh.

Oh, and as for the rumour from he-we-do-not-name, Scott Lachance is the name I'm hearing. Could be worse, as a utility body goes, but only if we're also going to be able to address that top-6 hole up front. And only if it means that the kids get primo development time with Maurice at Ricoh.
Harrison- wouldn't be totally surprised if he is signed again, but I wonder why he wasn't qualified. To see what other options were out there I guess?

Hedin? Who knows- I'm just guessing.

You're right, Belak makes 8. I keep forgetting about him.

Did you hear that Wozniewski didn't impress? I heard he played great. I'm excited about him actually.

I'm opposed to signing Lachance, but he is not a bad player. That would give us 9 defencemen and I really think its time for Cola to graduate. And I'd rather sign a forward.

Old
08-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Bileur

Good fighters are usually pretty hard to find in the US colleges, I wouldnt get too excited if I were a leafs fan, sounds like definite AHL fodder.

How could anyone think Domi, Belak, Perrott, Tucker (not really for toughness but for retaliation cheapshots) etc, arent enough protection? The Leafs arent quite as tough as last year having lost Marchment, Roberts and Nolan, but they are still one of the toughest in the NHL.

Old
08-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur
How could anyone think Domi, Belak, Perrott, Tucker (not really for toughness but for retaliation cheapshots) etc, arent enough protection? The Leafs arent quite as tough as last year having lost Marchment, Roberts and Nolan, but they are still one of the toughest in the NHL.
On many occasions Marchment was a scratch, and it was embarassing to watch him completely miss a player with an attempted hit. We lost Roberts and Nolan, but we gained O'Neil and Lindros, Allison is a pretty big lad himself.

Old
08-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Frankie

mike hoffman!

a huge fighter who isn't very good at fighting. perrott and macdonald both knocked the crap out of him this year. and hoffman had a huge size advantage over both.

at least he's a willing combatant. he cant skate very well. no nhl potential at all. strictly a marlies signing who'll get beat up a lot.

Old
08-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
mike hoffman!

a huge fighter who isn't very good at fighting. perrott and macdonald both knocked the crap out of him this year. and hoffman had a huge size advantage over both.

at least he's a willing combatant. he cant skate very well. no nhl potential at all. strictly a marlies signing who'll get beat up a lot.
Think there's any chance he could be ticketed for Pensacola?

Old
08-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Think there's any chance he could be ticketed for Pensacola?
yeah i think there's a chance. he's a 4th line ahler. if perrott or some other toughie lands with the marlies, hoffman could easily be out the door.

Closed Thread