HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If we fail to climb the mountain...

Old
03-10-2014, 01:07 AM
ChiTownCode
Natural Perm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
And even that game was lopsided in the Blackhawks' favor in terms of scoring chances and shots. Chicago has dominated every game against Colorado. In a playoff series, Crawford won't be playing that badly and Varlamov won't be playing that well.
I agree at least in part since Crow is a bit of a head scratcher at times.

ChiTownCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 06:50 AM
ItsMyFault
Fan of Losing Teams

vCash: 50
We aren't going to fail to climb the mountain, so there is no if.

03-10-2014, 07:49 AM
x Tame Impala

We should only talk in metaphors the rest of the season

x Tame Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Illinihockey

Just so everyone is aware, Blues have the 2nd most shootout wins in the league. Avalanche have the most regulation wins. So while the Blues may finish 1st, Colorado may actually have had the more impressive regular season.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 09:21 AM
x Tame Impala

I'm pretty shocked with what Roy has done in Colorado. I honestly just thought they had a really hot start and they were going to slip away back to obscurity. They've maintained a great pace and very well could push us to 3rd in the division.

I still think they're too young and lack the defense for a deep playoff run but they're going to be a great team in a very short time. I love their play style too. I think it's clear that they're trying to model our fast paced, puck possession game and it makes for some great hockey.

x Tame Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
I'm pretty shocked with what Roy has done in Colorado. I honestly just thought they had a really hot start and they were going to slip away back to obscurity. They've maintained a great pace and very well could push us to 3rd in the division.

I still think they're too young and lack the defense for a deep playoff run but they're going to be a great team in a very short time. I love their play style too. I think it's clear that they're trying to model our fast paced, puck possession game and it makes for some great hockey.
Varlamov had a .913 and .903 save percentage the 2 years prior to this year where he's put up a ridiculous .925! While there are other reasons, that to me is the biggest reason for their turnaround this year.

Old
03-10-2014, 09:33 AM
Hawkaholic

Easily Colorado. No contest.

Not near as physical, goaltending isn't as good, defense isn't as good, and they have zero playoff experience.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 09:36 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Easily Colorado. No contest.

Not near as physical, goaltending isn't as good, defense isn't as good, and they have zero playoff experience.
I agree with the other stuff, but that just isn't right

Old
03-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
I agree with the other stuff, but that just isn't right
Miller is a much better goalie than Varlamov.

Old
03-10-2014, 12:21 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 0
If we fail to repeat, then it's simply because it's ridiculously difficult to win even once, much less twice in a row and three times out of five.

We all love to knock the Nucks, but organizationally they did just about everything you could possibly expect for a couple years from the 2009 playoffs to 2012's, and they still fell short each and every time. Same goes for the Sharks if they don't win in the next couple years. This is an extremely difficult league to win in even when you're favored, after all. We'll all be disappointed if we don't win, but it likely won't be due to a major managerial mistake or a gaping hole in our system when just about everyone has gaps as well.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limits of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
If we fail to repeat, then it's simply because it's ridiculously difficult to win even once, much less twice in a row and three times out of five.

We all love to knock the Nucks, but organizationally they did just about everything you could possibly expect for a couple years from the 2009 playoffs to 2011 and even possibly 2012, and they still fell short each and every time. Same goes for the Sharks if they don't win in the next couple years. This is an extremely difficult league to win in even when you're favored, after all. We'll all be disappointed if we don't win, but it likely won't be due to a major managerial mistake or a gaping hole in our system when just about everyone has gaps as well.
Solid post. Very true.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Red Mosquito

Quote:

We all love to knock the Nucks, but organizationally they did just about everything you could possibly expect for a couple years from the 2009 playoffs to 2012's, and they still fell short each and every time. Same goes for the Sharks if they don't win in the next couple years. This is an extremely difficult league to win in even when you're favored, after all. We'll all be disappointed if we don't win, but it likely won't be due to a major managerial mistake or a gaping hole in our system when just about everyone has gaps as well.
I agree with all of this. Even the favorite probably has at best a 25% chance of winning the cup.

Red Mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
This isn't 2009

Old
03-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Sevanston

Quote:

This is the main reason I roll my eyes whenever people brag about how they predicted any team would lose in the playoffs. The odds are always in their favor. It's like being proud that you predicted who wouldn't win the lottery.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 01:41 PM
ItsMyFault
Fan of Losing Teams

Quote:
Eh, no.

The stats back up Varlamov. Yes, Miller's stats are somewhat worse because he had a bad defense in Buffalo, but that Valamov has played well and he isn't "much better" than Miller.

ItsMyFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Many still haven't realized that Ryan Miller has always been an average to slightly above average goaltender.

He's had two years which were exceptions - 2010 and 2014.

When it comes down to it, I expect him to play like what he is - solid, but not great. It's why no fans need to go crazy about about St. Louis acquiring him (not that that's stopped them).

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 01:49 PM
ItsMyFault
Fan of Losing Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMyFault View Post
Eh, no.

The stats back up Varlamov. Yes, Miller's stats are somewhat worse because he had a bad defense in Buffalo, but Varlamov has played well and Miller isn't "much better" than him.
Jesus I butchered the last sentence so bad.

Fixed.

ItsMyFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Many still haven't realized that Ryan Miller has always been an average to slightly above average goaltender.

When it comes down to it, I expect him to play like what he is - solid, but not great. It's why no fans need to go crazy about about St. Louis acquiring him (not that that's stopped them).
The weird thing about the Miller deal is that St. Louis hasn't lost in the playoffs because they couldn't stop teams from scoring. Halak/Eliott haven't been their problem in the playoffs.

Old
03-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:

I know Miller is slightly above average, but Varlamov is average, he is not some kind of great goalie. He has had a good season, sure, but you need to give me a larger sample size than 50 games to convince me he is better than Miller.

Old
03-10-2014, 02:02 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
This is the main reason I roll my eyes whenever people brag about how they predicted any team would lose in the playoffs. The odds are always in their favor. It's like being proud that you predicted who wouldn't win the lottery.
If you don't mind me, I'm off to Vegas to let it all ride on not-green.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
I know Miller is slightly above average, but Varlamov is average, he is not some kind of great goalie. He has had a good season, sure, but you need to give me a larger sample size than 50 games to convince me he is better than Miller.
Ryan Miller career save% .916. Semyon Varlamov career save% .916.

Playoffs Miller .917, Varlamov .915

Old
03-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:

Wippty do, I would still feel much more comfortable facing Varlamov than Miller.

Old
03-10-2014, 02:21 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:

Does anyone know what regression means?

.916% over 16,300 shots faced or .916% over 5,780 shots faced.....which number is more reliable?

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 02:24 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Wippty do, I would still feel much more comfortable facing Varlamov than Miller.
same here.

and anyone using this years stats to justify Varlamov over Miller - please do this Miller played on one of the worst defenses in the league and was still producing numbers that were near his career highs.

I want absolutely nothing to do with Miller and the Blues - not until the Western Finals. Varlamov and the Avalanche are young and not ready yet, that Blues team is the type of team that in a 7 game series could really put a hurting on us.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
same here.

and anyone using this years stats to justify Varlamov over Miller - please do this Miller played on one of the worst defenses in the league and was still producing numbers that were near his career highs.

I want absolutely nothing to do with Miller and the Blues - not until the Western Finals. Varlamov and the Avalanche are young and not ready yet, that Blues team is the type of team that in a 7 game series could really put a hurting on us.
Colorado's defense is awful as well