HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beefiest shoulder pads...

Old
04-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Rookie109

vCash: 500
Beefiest shoulder pads...

OK, I am looking for the most protective shoulder pads on the market (clearance and discontinued models included). I want something that will give me maximum protection for blocking shots above all else.

I have read that the Easton Synergy EQ50 Hockey Shoulder Pad are one if the beefiest you can find, I've even found them for $100 on clearance at a few places in my city. They seem extremely well armored and well-built.

I also read about the WARRIOR PROJEKT SR HOCKEY SHOULDER PADS, they are also discontinued but might be available online. I would like to try them first before blindly buying them.

What do you think? Has anyone used these or similar models with comparable protection?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rookie109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 05:21 PM
JZCislesHockey

I liked my old projekts, also the Nexus 1000s are great. comfortable and I don't feel checks!

JZCislesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Pacifist Goon

Do you really want to be going down to block shots playing socially? Playoff time maybe?

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Rookie109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post
Do you really want to be going down to block shots playing socially? Playoff time maybe?
I just want to be protected in case I have to block. I won't be trying to seek it out all the time; I want to be able to do it when needed and not worry too much about it.

My view is the better protected I am, the more I'll be willing to take a shot to prevent a possible goal. I get a rush out of blocking shots actually, not as much as say scoring a goal, but my team mates know me as the type of player to sacrifice the body.

I need a few pieces of gear, I'm slowly buying really beefy pieces of equipment so when fall comes I'll be ready. I also need hockey pants and elbow pads in addition to shoulder pads, I've pretty much got everything else.

Lastly, I'm switching from half visor to full face protection. I did try the cage once but I really found it distracting even after a few games. I really like the half visor, but I like my teeth even more.

I'm waiting for this bad boy to be released within the next couple of months...

http://www.hockeyfaceshields.com/update-design.html
I'll get it in clear.

Last edited by Rookie109: 04-03-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old
04-01-2014, 08:10 PM
AIREAYE

I'm one that's been saying that the EQ50s are tanks, though I don't think the Projekts would fall in the same category, they're lower profile.

Either the EQ50s or Nexus 1000s would fit the bill.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 07:42 AM
cmjohnson77
Rookie User

I have the Bauer Nexus 1000 shoulder pads. I love em, very comfy and offer a lot of protection. Also have the elbows and shins...

cmjohnson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 09:44 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

i like your style.
crazy dude on my team is going to block shots with 5030s lmao

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Rookie109

Thanks for the advice boys and or girls. I think the Easton EQ50 seems to have a little more chest and back coverage and with larger sternum and spine protectors. How is the Easton EQ50 for wicking away sweat and or moisture? Since it has some vents on the front and back I’d assume it’s not too bad. Nevertheless, I’ll assume that the Bauer Nexus 1000 series is newer and probably better at this.

It appears that the Bauer Nexus 1000 series covers a little better on the shoulders and biceps; I lift weights so I've got some muscle to protect that area anyways. I’d rather have my ribs, side, and chest having more padding than my arms any day of the week. However, I'll try them both on since the Bauer Nexus 1000 series is so highly regarded.

I also tried on the Reebok 20K shoulder pads. I wasn't really impressed that the front area beside the sternum protector seemed kind of thin; for the $170 plus most places are charging I’d expect thicker padding. Otherwise I really liked them, if I was a finesse / speedy player those would be on my wish-list.

I also tried the discontinued Easton EQ30 shoulder pads, but since they are only about $20 cheaper than the EQ50 locally, why not spend a little extra for some added protection and features.

Finally, I tried the discontinued Bauer Pro Series Hockey Shoulder Pads as well. They appear pretty much like the Bauer Nexus 1000 series, with the exception that there is a removable rib and bicep guard on the Pro Series.

Wow, I kinda rambled on there.

Last edited by Rookie109: 04-02-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old
04-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Rookie109

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I'm one that's been saying that the EQ50s are tanks, though I don't think the Projekts would fall in the same category, they're lower profile.

Either the EQ50s or Nexus 1000s would fit the bill.
Hahaha, atta boy! I knew someone would verify this for me. Tell me more about the EQ50s please; even a quick point-form review of pluses and minuses in your opinion would be sweet!

Old
04-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Rookie109

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorbjorb View Post
i like your style.
crazy dude on my team is going to block shots with 5030s lmao
Yeah, I like to score goals obviously but I always get the bench fired up after a massive shot block.

I learned the hard way to block facing the shooter in sponge hockey a couple of years ago. I turned my back to the shooter while sliding on the ice and took a frozen sponge puck (it was -30C) to the back of my sack which compressed it into my jock!

Because of that shot block I'll always be known as the "Ball Blocker" from my team mates. I play up the role of course but now face forward so if I get hit there, the jock will do it's job.