HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Flyers in the Penguins' Heads?

Old
03-21-2014, 12:06 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Are the Flyers in the Penguins' Heads?

The Pens continue to play incredibly undisciplined hockey against the Flyers. Before, it was the fact that Fleury was awful but this past weekend the entire team was bad. Are you afraid of playing the Penguins in the playoffs? I'm not.

Quote:
From the 2010-11 season to today, they have gone a remarkable 10-2-1 in games at Consol Energy Center, in the regular season and playoffs. They seem to feed on the hostile crowd, and get up for games playing in enemy territory. Their winning percentage is a remarkable .769%. For a comparison, the Flyers’ winning percentage in the regular season in that time span is just .546%, a 41% decline. The Flyers’ overall record in that time span is an impressive 16-8-2 against the Penguins.
http://thehockeywriters.com/flyers-p...rivalry-heads/

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 12:22 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 500
Yes. Absolutely.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 12:23 PM
flyersphan20

Definitely in their heads

flyersphan20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 12:24 PM
ILoveStephanieBrown

Hell yeah they are. And no, Im not afraid of that overrated team one bit. We've proven over the last few years we have their number.

ILoveStephanieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 03:28 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I don't know if it is the Flyers or just the rivalry that is in their heads. It's almost like the Pens just play a different brand of hockey when they play the Flyers and they are trying to play up the rivalry or play to the rivalry however you want to put it. Hopefully it continues into the playoffs because we'll probably be facing them in round two if we win the first round (that's how it works now, right, you play within your division until the conference finals unless you are the one seed playing a wild-card?).

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 03:33 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Out of the East we should worry about the Bruins.
All the other teams, especially the Pens, are beatable. G and Coots take their play to another level whenever the two face against each other.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 03:44 PM
BrindamoursNose

Is that even a question?

Of course we are.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 05:27 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
Out of the East we should worry about the Bruins.
All the other teams, especially the Pens, are beatable. G and Coots take their play to another level whenever the two face against each other.
The Rangers scare me a bit as well and they could be a first round matchup. Also, never know what the Bolts could do with Stamkos back. He's lost Marty, but I think that may give him a boost, as now the team is all his. It's probably unlikely we would play them at all though in any of the rounds.

I think the moment the Pens/Flyers series really turned around is the game where Lavy stood up on the boards and was having that shouting match with Granato. I was at the next home game after that, and the Flyers won it with seconds left in over time, and then you had the fabled playoff series which was nuts.

I don't know why, but it just seems there was a discord that happened after that moment between the Pens players and the coaching staff, and the reverse seemed to had happened with the Flyers players and coaching staff. The Flyers really united as a team at that time and it hasn't really stopped when they play the Pens.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 06:59 PM
SgtJoseph*

Not sure if the Flyers are in their heads..........BUT Coots certainly is !

SgtJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

Is The Pope catholic?

Mr Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 07:22 PM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

Does Sidney Crosby dive?

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 10:32 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
The Flyers match up very well against them. I'd much rather Couts line stay against Malkins line though because Malkin played much better the last game without Couts going against him. Have Giroux against Crosby and Schenn against Sutter. It was a good experiment though. Either way the Pens aren't a team that scares me in the playoffs.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 11:16 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
It's strange how things have changed. Like Beef mentioned the other day, we traded two good two-way centermen for one good one, and Giroux is average (I say above) and Schenn is pretty meh...

...yet with Richards and Carter, we couldn't stop the Pens and they were in our heads. Now with Giroux and this crop of young kids, we're in the Pens' heads and beat them regularly.

Is it an age thing? Is it coaching? Has this team been specifically built to beat the Penguins?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 06:27 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
It's strange how things have changed. Like Beef mentioned the other day, we traded two good two-way centermen for one good one, and Giroux is average (I say above) and Schenn is pretty meh...

...yet with Richards and Carter, we couldn't stop the Pens and they were in our heads. Now with Giroux and this crop of young kids, we're in the Pens' heads and beat them regularly.

Is it an age thing? Is it coaching? Has this team been specifically built to beat the Penguins?
i think Lavy had a lot to do with it. Once we got him we owned the pens. I also think that in today's nhl no lead is safe, and I can't even begin to recall the amount of times we have come back from large deficits against the pens. Getting a big lead early against a team is a recipe for disaster, because you become disengaged the rest of the game. Look at us and our 3-0 lead against pens.

The pens have the talent to go up on teams by a big number early and its impossible to sustain that type of pressure throughout the game. Also another thing to consider is that you need 3 scoring lines to be a serious contender and the pens have never really had more than 2 scoring lines. Whereas the flyers have had really great depth the past 3 years.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 06:52 AM
StandingCow

Pens for some reason always play the game exactly how we want them to, so they sorta just fall into our hands... then they get mad and take dumb penalties.

Don't ever change pens.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 07:14 AM
Jtown

Here is a quick question. If Briere doesn't score that "offsides goal" in game 1 to make it 3-1 do we win that series?

Old
03-22-2014, 07:32 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
The Rangers scare me a bit as well and they could be a first round matchup. Also, never know what the Bolts could do with Stamkos back. He's lost Marty, but I think that may give him a boost, as now the team is all his. It's probably unlikely we would play them at all though in any of the rounds.

I think the moment the Pens/Flyers series really turned around is the game where Lavy stood up on the boards and was having that shouting match with Granato. I was at the next home game after that, and the Flyers won it with seconds left in over time, and then you had the fabled playoff series which was nuts.

I don't know why, but it just seems there was a discord that happened after that moment between the Pens players and the coaching staff, and the reverse seemed to had happened with the Flyers players and coaching staff. The Flyers really united as a team at that time and it hasn't really stopped when they play the Pens.
You witnessed one of these games? I am really jealous.

Yeah I agree, the Rangers do give us fits, especially with M. St.Louis it won't get any easier. Still, do like our chances.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 07:55 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Here is a quick question. If Briere doesn't score that "offsides goal" in game 1 to make it 3-1 do we win that series?
We scored 29 other goals in that series. I don't think that one was any more important than the rest. If the Pens gave up after game 1....

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 08:02 AM
SgtJoseph*

Homer has done a commendable job building this club to compete against teams like Pittsburgh , Rangers, etc,,,,,Nice mix of grit and talent which is needed come playoff time.....I always get a chuckle when i read all the Grossman and Hartnell hate on this board by folks who have not a clue how important those 2 and a few others are to our club come playoff time when we have to mix it up physically with some big skilled teams

There are HUGE battles out front of and behind the net both on D and on offense, and folks with grit are a big asset. I hope we get in the big show and get to play Pittsburgh, its what playoff hockey is all about .

SgtJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 08:18 AM
flyershockey

In a way, yes. But, I think that stems from the fact that the Flyers match up against them very well. The Penguins problems really stem back to 2011 when the Islanders neutered them.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 08:25 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Absolutely.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 08:54 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckistanFlyerfan View Post
We scored 29 other goals in that series. I don't think that one was any more important than the rest. If the Pens gave up after game 1....
Say what you will, but i remember vividly how badly we were getting dominated that game. It was 3-0 and we literally only generated a few scoring chances. The play that changed the game around was that briere goal.

That 1st loss was devastating to them. up 3-0 and lose in ot. I think if they won that first game it would have been a different series and I don't think we win that game if Briere didn't score that offsides goal.

Old
03-22-2014, 08:20 PM
Gert B Frobe

I think any team that really hammers their star players can beat them.

That whole organization - starting with super mario, the team, the fanbase - are so arrogant. They think they deserve every call, aren't allowed to get checked, and can run around like James Neal or Matt Cooke but don't you dare come after any of our stars...

They scored 2 goals in 4 games against the Bruins last playoffs. They are not contenders. And Barry Melrose is an idiot.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:34 AM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
I think any team that really hammers their star players can beat them.

That whole organization - starting with super mario, the team, the fanbase - are so arrogant. They think they deserve every call, aren't allowed to get checked, and can run around like James Neal or Matt Cooke but don't you dare come after any of our stars...

They scored 2 goals in 4 games against the Bruins last playoffs. They are not contenders. And Barry Melrose is an idiot.
Yes, this. It's not just the Flyers...the Bruins play them the same way and that's the way you beat them.

They're also not a very deep team anymore. Losing Staal has really hurt them, which is funny because Pens fans loved that deal.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote