HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pre-Game Meal

Old
09-07-2011, 02:05 PM
gogio57

vCash: 500
Pre-Game Meal

What does everyone eat before playing, does you try to eat a meal an hour before? Does anyone use/recommend Gatorade G Series?

gogio57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Beauner

vCash: 50
Gatorade doesn't work for me while playing, it makes me feel sick. However it works for some people though, so try it if you want. I do use it in the morning to hydrate myself sometimes.

If I have a morning game, I'll eat waffles or cereal with some Gatorade or water. For an afternoon game, a peanut butter or turkey sandwich is good. Night game, pasta or chicken (not too much though) is always a solid meal about an hour before a game.

Beauner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 02:33 PM
mbeam

I just usually try to eat healthy. Sometimes that will be pasta and chicken, or some other type of lean white meat and sometimes it will just be an unsauced stir fry. Mostly, I just try to eat 3-4 hours before a game and then if I'm hungry later on, I'll have a handful of unsalted nuts for a quick boost. That helps me a lot. I find gatorade works better for me than water while playing.

Of course, sometimes I do nothing special but I tend to not play as well.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I just eat a small meal of whatever I normally eat and maybe add in a little bit of carbs. 90% of the time I eat high fat/moderate protein/low carb so on game days I might add in a little rice. Sometimes I have a piece of fruit but usually don't have any in the house.

No Gatorade for me...typically I have water with a squeeze of lemon and pinch of salt. Tastes better to me, no sugar/calories, and just as good for electrolytes.

Post game I'm a wreck though, usually have a couple beers and inhale as much food as possible regardless of quality. Need to tighten that up.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Devil Dancer

Typically I try to eat a decent sized meal at least 2-3 hours before a game. I don't like having anything significant in my stomach when I'm playing. If I'm hungry before a game, I'll eat something small like a granola bar or a Snickers.

When I do eat before a game I sometimes get cramps.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Thepandamancan

Im usually rushing to my games from work, but if I can...

I try to eat some carbs and protein 3-4 hours before a game. I prefer to eat pasta and chicken, than rice...for some reason rice just makes me feel full during games.

Hour before a game, this is what I usually do for my 9am games too, I'll eat either a PB&J sandwich, a banana, or a granola bar of some sorts.

All the while I'm drinking as much water, coconut water, and/or gatorade while eating and before the game.

I've never tried Gatorade prime, but I have tried other energy booster things and they just don't work well. It's better to eat properly before a game.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 07:08 PM
ponder

I've often been told that a small to moderate sized meal of chicken and carbs (pasta or rice) was ideal, about 2-3 hours or so before the game (3 hours for a moderate sized meal, with a small meal you can get away with 2 hours), with a banana closer to game time for a bit of sugar and potassium. Worked for me back when I played more seriously, but before a beer league game I just eat whatever. I do like meals of yogurt + granola + banana in general though, and especially before games, not heavy at all in your stomach but there's lots of good stuff in there (protein in the yogurt, slow-release carbs in the granola, and more available sugars in the banana, plus the already mentioned potassium).

Last edited by ponder: 09-07-2011 at 07:22 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:41 AM
shoeshine boy

I like the pre-game Gatorade stuff but the post-game stuff is just nasty. too thick for my taste (reminds of the stuff I had to drink before a colonoscopy) and the flavors are weird, imo.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:43 AM
pelts35.com

Peanut butter and honey sandwich an hour before any game/practice, no matter what time the game/practice is.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

90 mins Before the game, roasted sweet potatoes and a bit of chicken.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Finnish your Czech
Puljujärvi2Leafs pls

vCash: 50
A piece of Whole grain bread with Pure Peanut Butter, and a couple bowls of Special K cereal is something I`ve tried, and it`s worked very well, about 2 hours before sport. Special K has alot of carbs, and I get some protein from the Peanut Butter.

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Gentle Ben Ken0bi
BWH Eats toe fungus

I only play pick up and I do not worry about the pregame meals and being that I do not start til 11:00 pm on Friday nights. But at the post game meals we eat sausages and drink beer in the parking lot until about 1:30am. I can not figure why I need to drop a few pounds.

Gentle Ben Ken0bi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 04:30 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
Steak, and potatoes. G series just gives me the runs and a headache. regular gator aid works for me.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Ozolinsh_27

Great topic!

I try to have some protein source and a serving of carbs about 2-3 hours before, hydrate with water starting day prior until an hour before gametime then I drink blue powerade during game.

Some days I don't always hit my targets but I tend to feel better during and after a game when I do the above. Especially the next morning when I wake up. This season I'll try pay better attention.

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 06:31 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
I usually water down my Gatorade so it's 1/2 strength. Less cranky on the tummy while playing.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 07:07 AM
Dr Van Nostrand
Banned

I usually eat peanut butter sandwiches (about 2) with milk 2 hours pregame, and when I don't have milk I mix whey protein powder with water (tastes like **** but works) and eat peanut butter sandwiches.

As for gatorade, I don't really drink it while on the bench, and if I do it's a homemade version (water + salt + lemon basically) but I gulp at least two down (1/2 strength for more absorption) post game

Dr Van Nostrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Kulluminati

I usually try to eat 2-3 hours before a game, and always have a pasta dish for the boost in carbs. If I get hungry again near game time I'll eat a banana or a granola bar. During the game I like to drink Gatorade, some people find it to be too sweet or gives them cramps so I guess its just preference.

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Ani simov mal

I eat a meal 4 hours before a game. Then I eat two table spoons of natural peanut butter on two slices of whole wheat bread and a banana an hour before a game or practice.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

I tried the Gatorade Prime and it seemed to give me more energy, and not in the way caffeine does. I just felt less tired than I normally do and had more energy. That said, I think it's fairly expensive so I wouldn't use it every game, just before those where for some reason or another you can't get in a good meal in time or you're just tired before the game.

I don't usually drink Gatorade (G2) during games, just stick to water. I mixed Gatorade and water before and if you don't mind the watered down taste (I don't, Gatorade seems too sweet for me to drink during a game). That didn't give me any problems, though I didn't really notice any difference than drinking straight water.

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:34 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
Double decker peanut butter and jelly sandwich: One layer with crunchy peanut butter and raspberry jam, the other with smooth and sliced bananas. A side of Tim's jalapeno potato chips and wash it all down with chocolate milk.

**** yes.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Subnordi

French fries, burgers, washed down with a good ole Coca Cola. But really, I like having Spaghetti with bread a few hours before the game, with a glass of milk, the carbs/proteins keep me energized the entire game.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:36 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

i pack in carbs the day before. eat a small carb meal right before the game

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorbjorb View Post
i pack in carbs the day before. eat a small carb meal right before the game
Let's say my game is at 9pm or something like that:

My preperation for the game starts from the morning. Assuming I'm at work and not working physically a lot during the day.

The key is to approach the game in an energetic but light state.

-Breakfast: good sized healthy cereal in the morning.
-Brunch: A parfait or fruit salad, or an apple even works
-Lunch: A good sized green salad. Sometimes with a bit of chicken
-2-3 pm: Peanuts or carrots (Only if still hungry after lunch)
-Dinner (5-6pm): Regular sized meal (for example pasta and lean chicken) 3-4 hours before the game.
-30-40 min before: banana, crackers or nothing depending on how I feel
-Right After the game - Vector protein bar or something similiar, feed those muscles and rehydrate
-Sometimes a slice of pizza is great after a game and usually well deserved.

I also try to visit the 'facilities' 1 hour before the game with the daily paper .

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:11 AM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

Something healthy with lots of carbs.

Pasta is obviously the most common one.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:17 AM
RedLight40

The focus of my pre-game meal is to make sure I don't feel guilty about the post game beer and pizza.

The sausages in the parking lot sound great, might have to see if my group wants to Tailgate after a game sometime.

RedLight40 is offline   Reply With Quote