HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dustin Brown ( USA )-vs- Hugh Jessiman ( USA )

View Poll Results: H.J -vs- D.B
Jessiman 29 32.95%
Brown 48 54.55%
Neither One - State who you would you have chose ? 11 12.50%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-14-2005, 08:50 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

vCash: 500
How many other teams passed on Martin havlat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Aim 4588
I know through recent drafts the NYR's had passed up alot of good players one being Martin havlat and forgot who they chose over him. But there were some other picks like the Lundmark supposably they could have had some other player who is a current NHL'er. Well anyway what I want to know is if any one things that Sather should have picked Dustin Brown instead of hugh Jessiman/men ( how ever its spelt.

So basically who do you think will be the better HL'er and who would have you picked, I know its kind of tough as NYR fans have only seen Jessiman through college, but Brown has been through the AHL and has put up very very solid #'s.

Who would you have picked, who would have been the smarter choice and with your basic knowledge who has the better potetial?

H Jessiman-#12 overall NYR
Brown -#13 overall LA
besides the NYR's? Quite a few, no! This poll makes little sense. #12 vs #13. It comes down to each organizations persoanl preferences. More accurate ould be, what your opinion was AT THE TIME OF THE SELECTION, not 3 drafts later.

Nonetheless I was hugely disappointed that we passed on Arseny Bondarev. The devils finally picked him.

Old
08-14-2005, 09:38 AM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
besides the NYR's? Quite a few, no! This poll makes little sense. #12 vs #13. It comes down to each organizations persoanl preferences. More accurate ould be, what your opinion was AT THE TIME OF THE SELECTION, not 3 drafts later.

Nonetheless I was hugely disappointed that we passed on Arseny Bondarev. The devils finally picked him.

First of all understand the point of the post and read it, and its not #12-vs-#13 its is should NYR have passed on Brown, if you read the whole thing and noticed how I said NYR has passed up some good talent in the past and did they now with choosing Jessiman over Brown.. So b4 you comment think first and understand what you are talking about cause you dont.

You thief give Fletch back his trade mark

How does this poll make little sense, its more like your comment makes no sense. The poll was started to see what people felt about picking Jessiman over Brown, Brown was clearley the better and easy prospect to go with, and NYR chose Jessiman knowing he was a project but figured if all works out with the size he has he could be tremendous. Basically Brown was the safer and almost definite choice. And Im asking from A FANS POINT OF VIEW. what they would have liked to see.

Old
08-14-2005, 10:49 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Aim 4588
I agree with you but I also think Brown's upside is more likely to go through than Jessiamns, I think and hope he will turn out good , but he good be another Gratton or Kilger it was a gamble with him.

Sather loves kids with size and will choose a guy thats more risky with size then the better overall talent thats how it appears to me atleast. And not just with this draft just with signing and always looking for just the bigger players in all situations.
It's been a while since I've actually seen any video of Jessiman so take that for what it's worth. It is in my mind though that he is a pretty good skater for his size.
To me he's got to put the elements of his game together which seem fine on their own. That's one reason I wanted him out of Dartmouth. I want him playing lots of games preferably in Hartford unless a miracle happens and he has an extraordinarily good camp and earns a spot. I don't expect that to happen (just figuring he missed all of last year as far as his development). And I'm not sure he's going to right away put up big numbers in the AHL.

On Gratton. Gratton is not that great of a skater. And he definitely has had problems for a number of years staying motivated. He goes into a slump and it's worse than Nedved. He has size but he doesn't always use it or use it wisely. I think some people see the size, some offense and the pm's and think that he can
handle himself but there's a selfishness to his game. He's not an Adam Graves that's going to defend his teammates every single time. And as you can see for a
vet with some numbers he didn't exactly have people busting down his door. 900k is probably the best he could do.

Old
08-14-2005, 10:53 AM
eco's bones

The one other thing about Jessiman is that it seems to me he is willing to work for it. But he's still a gamble. He could turn into a 15 goal a year third liner.

Old
08-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER

Personally, I did criticize the Jessiman pick on draft day. But even if I didn't, I could still criticize this move after the fact because Brown was a highly rated prospect and Jessiman was considered a huge reach. Brown was rated around #10 that year. Jessiman was considered a late first rounder. That's what makes this poll valid.

Old
08-14-2005, 02:09 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
It's been a while since I've actually seen any video of Jessiman so take that for what it's worth. It is in my mind though that he is a pretty good skater for his size.
To me he's got to put the elements of his game together which seem fine on their own. That's one reason I wanted him out of Dartmouth. I want him playing lots of games preferably in Hartford unless a miracle happens and he has an extraordinarily good camp and earns a spot. I don't expect that to happen (just figuring he missed all of last year as far as his development). And I'm not sure he's going to right away put up big numbers in the AHL.

On Gratton. Gratton is not that great of a skater. And he definitely has had problems for a number of years staying motivated. He goes into a slump and it's worse than Nedved. He has size but he doesn't always use it or use it wisely. I think some people see the size, some offense and the pm's and think that he can
handle himself but there's a selfishness to his game. He's not an Adam Graves that's going to defend his teammates every single time. And as you can see for a
vet with some numbers he didn't exactly have people busting down his door. 900k is probably the best he could do.
I wont question what you say about Jessiman because you apparently no more , but, I do agree with him coming to hrtfd and putting up good #'s, yes and no. But how good is the ?. I mean I heard he is a good skater but being his size and not being a Thornton or Leclair type player might not be that good. A player his size will most likely come out being dominant or will just be a propect that will put up decent #'s but will still be a a wait for him to really put up prime #'s.

Like I said Leclair and Thornton came out and just dominated and I guy like Daze it took him till he was 27 or so to start really scoring and he wasnt putting in 40-50 goals in was more like in the 30's. So with Jess he neither comes out dominant or will be ok and it might take 3 years or so to really see his full potential, i think with him he will be more a project and more of patience, rather then getting a guy like Brown and steeping right up to the plate .

I will tell you one thing I dont know if you watched the clips of Brown and all though the moves he pulled wont most likley wont work in the NHL, it shows this kid Brown is quick, shifty, strong, physical and will be a very good power foward , basically the complete foward. Im still higher on Brown and no matter what at this time will still go with Brown, I still am excited to see Jessiman but I just think Brown was the better pick. But all in time we will see, Im not to high till I really see Jessiman play then my opinion might change or just feel either pick was good, so we will see.

Old
08-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
How about Bergeron?

How about him! A 45th overall selection in that same draft. What a player.

Old
08-14-2005, 07:57 PM
eco's bones

Leclair played a few seasons in Montreal and was nothing special--got traded to
Philly and placed on a line with Lindros and became a star almost overnight. Sometimes the situation being right has much to do with a players development.
The Rangers might need to consider that. Jessiman seems to have a work ethic.
He seems to have the skill. But there is still more--a majic or a kind of chemistry he will need to have with his teammates to become the successful player we would like to see. Can he do it with the type of team we have now or will have in the near future? That's the question.

Closed Thread