HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don't be surprised if Cujo is a Ranger on Friday?

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2003, 09:44 PM
fuhr

vCash: 500
Don't be surprised if Cujo is a Ranger on Friday?

If he's available i think they'll take him. As i stated before,if they don't they're crazy.

Old
10-02-2003, 09:46 PM
Barnaby

crazy? look at his contract. Is he really better then Dunham? Maybe 5 years ago but not today.

Old
10-03-2003, 02:32 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhr
If he's available i think they'll take him. As i stated before,if they don't they're crazy.

Why would the Rangers be crazy to pass on Cujo?

10-03-2003, 02:38 AM
NYR Battaglia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
crazy? look at his contract. Is he really better then Dunham? Maybe 5 years ago but not today.
Money means nothing to the Rangers.

Besides, insurance will pay 80% of Bure's contract anyway. There is your extra cash.

Old
10-03-2003, 02:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Battaglia

Besides, insurance will pay 80% of Bure's contract anyway. There is your extra cash.

OK, so take money out the equation and the move still makes little sense. If this team is going to claim somebody, why not put in a claim for a player that addresses a need that the team has. With Dunham and Markkanen, I have more than enough faith in the goaltending.

If you take Cujo what do you do then?

And yeah, insurance does pay some of Bure's contract. But with the 2M that the Rangers would have to pay Bure and the 8M that they would have to pay Cujo, they are back to 10M.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:28 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I would prefer to see detroit get left on the hook for cujo's salary... or trade bure for cujo. (at least cujo is still healthy)
I like dunham and jussi in nets this season.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:14 AM
_P_

Send a message via AIM to _P_
Quote:

i heard that insurance will cover richter but not bure

Old
10-03-2003, 04:14 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Didn't we go through this already? Why wouldn't the Oil take him if he's so good? Seems to me that if he can help the Rangers, then he can help the Oilers. Or are you saying that Salo is that much better than Dunham?

"But with the 2M that the Rangers would have to pay Bure and the 8M that they would have to pay Cujo, they are back to 10M."

Not to mention that they would be on the hook for the years AFTER this year. That may be far more important than the $$$ for this year.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:18 AM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by _P_
i heard that insurance will cover richter but not bure
Other way around, insurance for Bure, none for Richter.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:18 AM
Melrose_Jr.

No one is taking Cujo in the waiver draft.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:34 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
If ANY team does take him, it would be either the 'Lanche or the Blues. Actually, the more I think about it, the 'Lanche taking him would be a wise move for them. Get the goalie w/o needing to trade for help in the one possible position that they are possibly weak in. Philly would be another potential spot. Cujo is a clear upgrade over anyone they have in that position (Hackett or Eshe cannot possibly be better). If the Blues want to FINALLY be able to win the big one, they should consider it as well. Cujo is an upgrade over either Johnson or Osbad.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:02 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
If ANY team does take him, it would be either the 'Lanche or the Blues. Actually, the more I think about it, the 'Lanche taking him would be a wise move for them. Get the goalie w/o needing to trade for help in the one possible position that they are possibly weak in. Philly would be another potential spot. Cujo is a clear upgrade over anyone they have in that position (Hackett or Eshe cannot possibly be better).
Flyers don't have the money available. They put Therien on the list to try and trim $2.5 million from the payroll, not looking to add another $8 million

Old
10-03-2003, 05:22 AM
Wingnut31

Send a message via ICQ to Wingnut31 Send a message via AIM to Wingnut31 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingnut31
Flyers won't take Cujo because Clarke doesn't think he could help, I base that on the fact The Flyers needed a goalie when Cujo signed with Toronto and they had a shot at him last year as free agent too and I'm not sure they ever made him an offer.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:25 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut31
Flyers won't take Cujo because Clarke doesn't think he could help, I base that on the fact The Flyers needed a goalie when Cujo signed with Toronto and they had a shot at him last year as free agent too and I'm not sure they ever made him an offer.
The year CuJo went to Toronto there were 3 goalies available: CuJo, Richter, and Vanbiesbrouck.

Clarke's 1st choice was Richter, but he didn't want to leave NY.

CuJo & Beezer were about equal in Clarke's mind (Beezer had just recently taken the Panthers to the finals), what made the decision for him was that Beezer was willing to accept a 3 year contract, while CuJo wanted 5 years and much more money.

I think Clarke thinks that CuJo is better than Hackett, but not $5 million better, especially with the CBA expiring after this year.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:49 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
If ANY team does take him, it would be either the 'Lanche or the Blues.
Right now, it doesn't appear that either team is worried about their goaltending situation. And if they were, I'm sure they'd rather make a deal with Holland where he pays a signifigant amount of Cujo's contract, something that won't happen if he's claimed off waivers.

Old
10-03-2003, 06:18 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:

If that where true, why sign all our big FA's this off season to one year deals. Why not trade for Leclair or Jagr who would cost virtually nothing.

Old
10-03-2003, 06:22 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
Why sign all our big FA's this off season to one year deals. Why not trade for Leclair or Jagr who would cost virtually nothing.
Several reasons. First of all, with the upcoming CBA armageddon, neither Leclair's 3 years at $9m/per nor Jagr's 5 years at $11m/per looks attractive. That's why Jagr has not been dealt. That's a HUGE contract to be saddled with heading into a lockout. The same goes for Leclair, but you also have to add to that the fact that he is STILL not recovered from his shoulder injury and has been displaced from the Flyer top 2 lines. No need for another huge contract for an injured fading star.

Old
10-03-2003, 06:41 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Several reasons. First of all, with the upcoming CBA armageddon, neither Leclair's 3 years at $9m/per nor Jagr's 5 years at $11m/per looks attractive. That's why Jagr has not been dealt. That's a HUGE contract to be saddled with heading into a lockout. The same goes for Leclair, but you also have to add to that the fact that he is STILL not recovered from his shoulder injury and has been displaced from the Flyer top 2 lines. No need for another huge contract for an injured fading star.
oh so we do care about money. I was responding to NYR Battaglia's claim that money means nothing to the Rangers.

Old
10-03-2003, 06:42 AM
True Blue

Quote:
IF that was true, Jagr would already be a Ranger.

Old
10-03-2003, 07:41 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
That would be my bet. No team, not even NYR or Colorado, simply add $8M to their payroll, simple as that, a week before the season starts. Some people treat picking up Joseph like picking up Steve McKenna on waivers. It's not; $ matters.

Now, teams have had a while to see this coming and plan, but it still is very unlikely, IMO. Not to mention that there is NO pressing need for NYR (especially) nor the Avs to make a move in goal TODAY.

(Only on HF is it assumed that Aebischer can't get the job done, as least for the first part of the season. Based on what evidence, I haven't the foggiest.)

Old
10-03-2003, 04:44 PM
fuhr

Quote:
Didn't we go through this already? Why wouldn't the Oil take him if he's so good? Seems to me that if he can help the Rangers, then he can help the Oilers. Or are you saying that Salo is that much better than Dunham?

"But with the 2M that the Rangers would have to pay Bure and the 8M that they would have to pay Cujo, they are back to 10M."

Not to mention that they would be on the hook for the years AFTER this year. That may be far more important than the $$$ for this year.

I was just having some fun with the post to see if any of you had change your tunes. Apparently not. As far as Salo being better then Dunham,that's a no brainer so don't even start on that. Granted,Salo can't win a playoff series if his life depended on it but at least he gets his team into the playoffs. That being said,if money wasn't an issue with the Oil i'd rather have Cujo then Salo at this stage in both of their careers.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:47 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
I was just having some fun with the post to see if any of you had change your tunes. Apparently not. As far as Salo being better then Dunham,that's a no brainer so don't even start on that. Granted,Salo can't win a playoff series if his life depended on it but at least he gets his team into the playoffs. That being said,if money wasn't an issue with the Oil i'd rather have Cujo then Salo at this stage in both of their careers.
lol.. no brainer huh? How many Oil fans wanted Salo gone last year.

Dunham has been every bit the goaltender Salo has been, neither are better or worse at this point.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:02 PM
fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
lol.. no brainer huh? How many Oil fans wanted Salo gone last year.

Dunham has been every bit the goaltender Salo has been, neither are better or worse at this point.

If you're going on last year i agree because Salo stunk but as far as who's the better goalie. Sorry,Salo has a good track record(regular season) Dunham doesn't. A goalie isn't made or broken by 1 season or series. Dunham hasn't proven anything to this point,if he gets this squad into the playoffs and helps them make a run then we'll talk.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:14 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
If you're going on last year i agree because Salo stunk but as far as who's the better goalie. Sorry,Salo has a good track record(regular season) Dunham doesn't. A goalie isn't made or broken by 1 season or series. Dunham hasn't proven anything to this point,if he gets this squad into the playoffs and helps them make a run then we'll talk.
Stop being so short sighted. Dunham's had very good 'statistics' playing for very bad teams and defenses.

Old
10-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
At least he gets his team into the playoffs? Salo has played 9 seasons and been in the playoffs 4 times--what happened to 5 other seasons? Couldn't steal enough games on his own?

If you're willing to cut Salo some slack for not making the playoffs every year, then you really can't complain about Dunham not being able to lead his team(s) into the playoffs.

Closed Thread