HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Gionta (negotiations w/Habs are underway)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2014, 01:36 PM
  #576
Raimu
Registered User
 
Raimu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 410
vCash: 500
I'm not attempting to say Sign Gio for anymore than a year or 2. But at the right term and contract, as long as it doesn't interfere with re-signing Subban, I'm okay with this.

I think there are some things that we can all agree with:
-It would be nice to not be in the bottom 10 in terms of size league wide.
-We don't want big Pylons like Murray. (Or Hal Gill. Philly actually played him against the rangers, that's insane.)
-Big, skilled, fast guys don't grow on trees. Post-cap era it's become very difficult to acquire a player via trade unless his contract is terrible.

So yes, while Gio isn't getting any younger, We still have a team that was 6 wins from the cup. The negativity surrounding this team is frustrating. We're still in a transitional rebuild from when MB took over. I feel like it's fine to have a couple stop-gaps like Briere and Gionta until some of the younger guys are ready to take over.

Raimu is offline  
Old
06-12-2014, 03:43 PM
  #577
missthenet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Did you watch Zuccarrello protect the puck and dummy Greene most of the game yesterday ?

Do you watch Gallagher spin and jive away from defenders in the corner to attack the net all season long ?

This isn't basketball. Size isn't a prerequisite of anything. It's simply a helpful attribute that can be overcome by a myriad of other skills. All the small players that reach the NHL have defeated their size disadvantage to get there. They mostly don't get stymied by the size of their opponents past that point, but by the fact that the other skills of their opponents are greater than their own.
You are comparing two young guys at least 10 years younger than Gio. I think if we are looking for someone to play third line minutes and is responsible then Gio is not the guy, he was a giveaway machine during the playoffs. Would rather play Moen than resign Gio. This is a business, we need to get bigger, we were 6 games shy of a cup. Maybe game 6 would of been different against the Rangers if we could actually get someone in front of the net other than Gallagher. Down a goal in game 6 with the season on the line and we manage 5 shots on goal? last night the Kings were one game away from winning the cup, down a goal and they out shoot and out chance the Rangers 18-5 that is the kind of effort we needed in game 6 but came up short, time for some changes and that should include Gio.

missthenet is offline  
Old
06-12-2014, 06:04 PM
  #578
rickthegoon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
waisting a contract on capitaine sur le cul is pretty much like the organization saying ' you know what ? we don't consider ourselves contenders anytime soon.
Bergevin has to let him go...Therrien has too much of a man crush on his tiny little captain..

rickthegoon is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 08:22 AM
  #579
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthegoon View Post
waisting a contract on capitaine sur le cul is pretty much like the organization saying ' you know what ? we don't consider ourselves contenders anytime soon.
Bergevin has to let him go...Therrien has too much of a man crush on his tiny little captain..
If Therrien had such a man crush on him, why would he cut his Pp time almost completely and have him on the 3rd line at year end?

The facts say otherwise.

I think the best plan is to let BG walk, let younger guys take a leadership role(Gorges Subban Price Pacio) and sign a more skilled 2nd line RW.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 11:14 AM
  #580
rickthegoon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
Well, look at the numbers, Gionta was the 4th forward with toi/g during the playoffs, and 4th again in p.ptoi/g during the regular season. Those numbers are WAY too high for such a non productive forward.
Therrien loves Gionta like no other player on the team.....time to break-up that bromance

rickthegoon is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 11:33 AM
  #581
Runner77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthegoon View Post
Well, look at the numbers, Gionta was the 4th forward with toi/g during the playoffs, and 4th again in p.ptoi/g during the regular season. Those numbers are WAY too high for such a non productive forward.
Therrien loves Gionta like no other player on the team.....time to break-up that bromance
Gionta helps ensure Therrien's hold on the dressing room. That bromance will never be over.

Runner77 is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 01:04 PM
  #582
Raimu
Registered User
 
Raimu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Gionta helps ensure Therrien's hold on the dressing room. That bromance will never be over.
THIS is what I mean about obsession. Do you like, write fan fics about it?

Jokes aside, he's the coach... Are you suggesting that Therrien (aka the eye of sauron) will lose his iron grip on the locker room once Gionta (aka his one ring of power) is thrown into free agency (aka the fires of mount doom). And now that the evil Therrien has been defeated and his locker room will coach itself to a better record behind PK. Subban (aka player-coach Reggie Dunlop)?

Raimu is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 01:07 PM
  #583
Runner77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimu View Post
THIS is what I mean about obsession. Do you like, write fan fics about it?
Actually, doesn't come from me. I lifted it from TVA Sports.

Quote:
Jokes aside, he's the coach... Are you suggesting that Therrien (aka the eye of sauron) will lose his iron grip on the locker room once Gionta (aka his one ring of power) is thrown into free agency (aka the fires of mount doom). And now that the evil Therrien has been defeated and his locker room will coach itself to a better record behind PK. Subban (aka player-coach Reggie Dunlop)?
Now that's a nice fic write-up. Where do I buy?

Runner77 is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 01:11 PM
  #584
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader
 
BigDaddyLurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Exiled from Reality
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimu View Post
THIS is what I mean about obsession. Do you like, write fan fics about it?

Jokes aside, he's the coach... Are you suggesting that Therrien (aka the eye of sauron) will lose his iron grip on the locker room once Gionta (aka his one ring of power) is thrown into free agency (aka the fires of mount doom). And now that the evil Therrien has been defeated and his locker room will coach itself to a better record behind PK. Subban (aka player-coach Reggie Dunlop)?
...wouldn't PK be Aragorn??...or is that Carey??...or is Carey Galdalf??...DD as Samwise...Gallagher as Gimli or Frodo??...

BigDaddyLurch is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 01:12 PM
  #585
Raimu
Registered User
 
Raimu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Actually, doesn't come from me. I lifted it from TVA Sports.



Now that's a nice fic write-up. Where do I buy?

I know right? Send it to the guys at TVA then. I'm sure they'll love it hahaha.

Raimu is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 01:13 PM
  #586
Runner77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimu View Post
I know right? Send it to the guys at TVA then. I'm sure they'll love it hahaha.
OK, it's a deal. Taking a cut off the top, though.

Runner77 is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 04:15 PM
  #587
JAVO16
Registered User
 
JAVO16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet View Post
You are comparing two young guys at least 10 years younger than Gio.
And for all that, Gallagher only produced 1 more goal and 1 more point than Gionta this year. Playing easier minutes with more PP time. Gionta has experience going for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet View Post
I think if we are looking for someone to play third line minutes and is responsible then Gio is not the guy, he was a giveaway machine during the playoffs.
Giveaways- Playoffs

This here link tells a different story. Now, I know that the giveaway stat is unreliable but it stills gives a decent idea when comparing between players on a same team. Also, Gionta isn't responsible defensively ?



Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet View Post
Would rather play Moen than resign Gio.
Well, that tells it all, folks. Size boner in full effect right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet View Post
This is a business, we need to get bigger, we were 6 games shy of a cup. Maybe game 6 would of been different against the Rangers if we could actually get someone in front of the net other than Gallagher. Down a goal in game 6 with the season on the line and we manage 5 shots on goal? last night the Kings were one game away from winning the cup, down a goal and they out shoot and out chance the Rangers 18-5 that is the kind of effort we needed in game 6 but came up short, time for some changes and that should include Gio.
More bigness would've gotten us more shots, no doubt.

JAVO16 is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 04:48 PM
  #588
Runner77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
This thread is Dr. Recchi approved (TM).

Runner77 is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 09:06 PM
  #589
djpass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
It's honestly time to move on.

djpass is offline  
Old
06-14-2014, 10:01 AM
  #590
Pricenyuk
Montreal961
 
Pricenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,460
vCash: 500
Please God no. Seriously time to move on. Enough of Gionta, because as much as we know he should play on our 3rd line if signed, we know he will be in the top 6 again.

Pricenyuk is offline  
Old
06-14-2014, 10:59 AM
  #591
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricenyuk View Post
Please God no. Seriously time to move on. Enough of Gionta, because as much as we know he should play on our 3rd line if signed, we know he will be in the top 6 again.
Sounds more like a coaching problem.

overlords is offline  
Old
06-14-2014, 11:41 AM
  #592
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Sounds more like a coaching problem.
It's actually amazing how big a problem the coaching is with this team. We're all sitting around talking about how Galchenyuk needs first line minutes but we know DD will get them if he's here. Gionta is a useful checker but we know MT will put him on the PP....

We should just fire him because MT is really the biggest problem we have.

Lafleurs Guy is online now  
Old
06-14-2014, 07:34 PM
  #593
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
It's actually amazing how big a problem the coaching is with this team. We're all sitting around talking about how Galchenyuk needs first line minutes but we know DD will get them if he's here. Gionta is a useful checker but we know MT will put him on the PP....

We should just fire him because MT is really the biggest problem we have.
Plus, Tinordi and Beaulieu won't get much ice time this year.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
06-14-2014, 07:53 PM
  #594
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Plus, Tinordi and Beaulieu won't get much ice time this year.
Or one of them will play their off-side most of the year against tougher competition than they should be facing and people will want them traded by christmas.

overlords is offline  
Old
06-18-2014, 05:10 PM
  #595
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Negotiations between Canadiens, Gionta getting 'serious', says agent
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/522634

GoodKiwi is online now  
Old
06-18-2014, 05:12 PM
  #596
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,238
vCash: 500
I cannot believe that we are in that much of a rush to re sign Gionta.

gusfring is offline  
Old
06-18-2014, 05:12 PM
  #597
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
I cannot believe that we are in that much of a rush to re sign Gionta.
They signed Drewiski 1 month before free agency last season.

It has nothing to do with skill or whether it is deserved, it's all about the family & the don

vokiel is offline  
Old
06-18-2014, 05:15 PM
  #598
Ezpz
No mad pls
 
Ezpz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,670
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
I cannot believe that we are in that much of a rush to re sign Gionta.
Perhaps management believes all their UFA targets don't want to come here.

Ezpz is online now  
Old
06-18-2014, 05:16 PM
  #599
Bieber fever
Registered User
 
Bieber fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westmount
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
size might be the most important aspect for the habs.

Bieber fever is offline  
Old
06-18-2014, 05:17 PM
  #600
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Perhaps management believes all their UFA targets don't want to come here.
Gionta is their UFA target. Bergevin's not making big changes to this team.

Agnostic is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.