HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Gionta (negotiations w/Habs are underway)

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2014, 12:40 PM
Corncob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet View Post
there has to be better options than Gio at 3-4 million for two or more years. .
Who are they?

Old
06-19-2014, 01:22 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 4580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
Who are they?
Taller specimens.

Old
06-19-2014, 01:24 PM
TheGoalJudge

Quote:
Who are they?
Vrbata

Old
06-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Who are they?
Dunno, probably guys who scored more than 1 goal in the playoffs?

Old
06-19-2014, 02:13 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
Vrbata
That's one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Dunno, probably guys who scored more than 1 goal in the playoffs?
Name them.

Old
06-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Legit sources only, guys. You know this.

As for signing Gio, I can't wait to hear all the whining when the habs re-sign their 2nd strongest even strength winger for 3.5 million dollars.
He's never been a + +/- player for the Habs in the playoffs. -6 -6 -2 and 0.

He was good 5 on 5 because of Plekanec.

Plekanec offensive numbers went down because of Gionta.

Gionta was exposed in the playoffs playing with Eller on the 3rd line = 1 goal in 17 games..on a breakaway.... on a rebound. Outscored by Briere, Galchenyuk (5gp) and Bouillon (9gp).

He's not fast anymore and his shot is weaker than ever.

+ the fact we have 4 forward under 5'9. And there's like 7 in the entire league.

Old
06-19-2014, 02:17 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
He's never been a + +/- player for the Habs in the playoffs. -6 -6 -2 and 0.

He was good 5 on 5 because of Plekanec.

Plekanec offensive numbers went down because of Gionta.

Gionta was exposed in the playoffs playing with Eller on the 3rd line = 1 goal in 17 games..on a breakaway.... on a rebound. Outscored by Briere, Galchenyuk (5gp) and Bouillon (9gp).

He's not fast anymore and his shot is weaker than ever.

+ the fact we have 4 forward under 5'10. And there's like 7 in the entire league.
+/-?

Jesus christ

Pleks and gionta have been shown to work best together during their time on the habs. At this point Gionta is more suited to playing on a third line with defensive responsibilities than a tough minutes 2-way line expected of putting up lots of offense.

And no, Pleks' ridiculous usage is what is killing his offensive totals. Gionta declining doesn't help, but they've been together for a while now.

Oh and size. Excellent

Old
06-19-2014, 02:18 PM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
That's one.

Name them.
Jussi Jokinen would be one. Michalek last year alone had more goals than Gionta in the past two seasons. Could name guys like Iginla too.

I would also sign one guy who's not a biceps injury away from retirement, especially considering there's no way out of his contract if he does retire because of it.

Old
06-19-2014, 02:21 PM
Noob616

You guys are out to lunch if you think we're getting Vrbata, Michalek, Hemsky, or Iginla for 3M.

Quote:
As for signing Gio, I can't wait to hear all the whining when the habs re-sign their 2nd strongest even strength winger for 3.5 million dollars.
Gionta - 18G 22A
Gallagher - 19G 22A

You'd swear to god we're in the Dale Weise thread with how people are talking about him. Guy puts up 40 points on some of the most brutal shutdown minutes in the league and people talk like he's an anchor around the team's neck at 3M.

Last edited by Noob616: 06-19-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old
06-19-2014, 02:24 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
You guys are out to lunch if you think we're getting Vrbata, Michalek, Hemsky, or Iginla for 3M.
Dominic Moore.

Old
06-19-2014, 02:25 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Last I checked they are still all available while we are supposedly inking a deal with the mediocre midget.

Old
06-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Agree, if they sign Gionta it will be as a 3rd liner, not to play the same role as the top UFA's...Vanek Vrbata Iginla etc as top 6 guys.

There are A LOT worse thing MB could do than to sign Gionta for a couple years at 5.5-6 mil to play with Eller-Bourque.

Old
06-19-2014, 02:26 PM
Phil2

it was apparent that once Gionta left NJ, he started to decline(Yes he had a good year in 10/11 but well)

There were talks about the Devils might bring back Gionta(pure speculation) because well, Lou tends to do that a lot lol(Holik,Sykora,Arnott, Albelin, Rolston, Mogilny..)

Which the only one who truly worked out was Sykora(for 11-12) others were meh

Anyway, from watching Gionta from his days throughout NJ to Montreal, his body has a lot of tear and wear, and he tends to shoot way too much at the goalie chest lol

If I were the Habs, I'd only take a 1year deal, or just let him walk

Old
06-19-2014, 02:34 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Jussi Jokinen would be one. Michalek last year alone had more goals than Gionta in the past two seasons. Could name guys like Iginla too.

I would also sign one guy who's not a biceps injury away from retirement, especially considering there's no way out of his contract if he does retire because of it.
Jussi Jokinen can't handle the kind of opposition he'd be asked to play against if he were replacing Gionta. I like Michalek a lot, but he also wouldn't be coming in as cheap as Gionta. I also like Hemsky, but again, much more expensive. Iginla, again.

Ideally we need two new wingers. a strong two-way guy who can put up points while playing tough minutes, effectively replacing Gionta in his old role here (ie, hemsky, michalek,vrbata, iginla to a lesser extent) and another strong two-way guy expected to just shutdown the opposition, which Gionta do very well.

And whether that last role is filled by Gionta or not, I don't really care. We're just not very likely to find what he brings at that pricepoint. His age and injury history being one of reasons for a lower caphit.

Old
06-19-2014, 02:34 PM
Noob616

Be careful what you wish for guys. You try to find skilled players with size for 3M and you get Rene Bourque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Dominic Moore.
Sure, let's sign a 20 point center to replace our 40 point winger. Then we'll sign Stralman to replace Desharnais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Last I checked they are still all available while we are supposedly inking a deal with the mediocre midget.
So are Iginla, Vrbata, Hemsky, or Michalek going to be happy being paid the same as the "mediocre midget"?

Crazy idea here, but what if we signed Gionta as a two way 3rd line guy, to 3rd line money, to play on the 3rd line, and then signed one of the 2nd line guys available for 2nd line money to play on the 2nd line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Agree, if they sign Gionta it will be as a 3rd liner, not to play the same role as the top UFA's...Vanek Vrbata Iginla etc as top 6 guys.
Exactly, and I don't know why this is so difficult. We only have one top 9 RW signed right now (Gallagher). Signing Gionta to play on the 3rd line doesn't preclude us from signing Hemsky/Michalek or any of the other UFA's to play on the 2nd line.

Old
06-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Jussi Jokinen can't handle the kind of opposition he'd be asked to play against if he were replacing Gionta. I like Michalek a lot, but he also wouldn't be coming in as cheap as Gionta. I also like Hemsky, but again, much more expensive. Iginla, again.

Ideally we need two new wingers. a strong two-way guy who can put up points while playing tough minutes, effectively replacing Gionta in his old role here (ie, hemsky, michalek,vrbata, iginla to a lesser extent) and another strong two-way guy expected to just shutdown the opposition, which Gionta do very well.

And whether that last role is filled by Gionta or not, I don't really care. We're just not very likely to find what he brings at that pricepoint. His age and injury history being one of reasons for a lower caphit.
The way he played in the playoffs and at the end of the season, there's absolutely no indication Gionta would be as effective in the next year or two as you guys claim him to be. And to be quite honest, I think it doesn't look good offensively for him. We're talking about a guy who finished the year on a 16 games goal-less streak, and who had a streak where he scored 1 in 27 games earler in the season. And nothing suggests it'll get better.

In the end, you need Plekanec to produce more if you want to stay effective, and I doubt he'll be able to do so with Gionta on his wing.

Old
06-19-2014, 02:42 PM
otto bond

How about Daniel Winnik?Add Bernier, Brian Boyle and Steve Downie plus David Moss.

I can't see why we would want Gionta back but hey, it is what it is.

Old
06-19-2014, 02:43 PM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
How about Daniel Winnik?
He's what the Habs already have too many of. We need offensive production on the bottom-6 too. Which is why it's crucial to do the right moves.

Old
06-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
How about Daniel Winnik?Add Bernier, Brian Boyle and Steve Downie plus David Moss.

I can't see why we would want Gionta back but hey, it is what it is.
Those guys are mostly 4th liners.

Downie must have issues somewhere, he's traded more than anybody since Brent Ashton.

Old
06-19-2014, 02:55 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post

There are A LOT worse thing MB could do than to sign Gionta for a couple years at 5.5-6 mil to play with Eller-Bourque.
I find that a bit pricy for a third liner. At 4 - 4.5 I could stomach it.

Gio is still useful, but money needs to be allocated to improve the top six.

Old
06-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

I'm sorry, but everyone here thinks "best case scenario" with Gionta.

He's been declining, and nobody says next season is not the year he actually falls off the chart. It already happened before to other players, and it's not like last year wasn't a huge warning light.

As for his durability, there also are questions as to whether his broken body would actually be tough enough to have a 2nd consecutive healthy season for the first time since... well since forever.

In that case, what are you doing? And what about if the playoffs were any indicator of what is to come offensively for him? It's not like we have that much of a productive top-6...

I don't see Gallagher ever becoming much more than what he is right now, Galchenyuk still has much to learn, Pacioretty had a dream year last year, Vanek is gone, and Plekanec is what he is offensively. So... where does the offense come from?

Old
06-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
I find that a bit pricy for a third liner. At 4 - 4.5 I could stomach it.

Gio is still useful, but money needs to be allocated to improve the top six.
PA Parenteau would improve the top 6 and give us a RW who can play on the PP.

Avs want to dump him and he would be cheap.

Old
06-19-2014, 03:33 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Legit sources only, guys. You know this.

you and your corsi stats need to get a room.

Old
06-19-2014, 03:41 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

So are Iginla, Vrbata, Hemsky, or Michalek going to be happy being paid the same as the "mediocre midget"?
We don't need 3rd liners, we need a top 6 player.

Old
06-19-2014, 03:49 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Thing is, it might be fine as a third line option but we all know Therrien won't do that. Guy is gonna play top six all season long and in the playoffs.

Closed Thread