HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Gionta (negotiations w/Habs are underway)

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2014, 11:18 PM
Istvan

vCash: 500
I respect Gionta for his work ethic, mental and physical toughness and all around professionalism. However, since his contract expires and the team could use a little more size I don't think he'll be re-signed. Symbolically, his leaving would close the file on the BG era ( Gomez, Camallerri, Spacek & Gill ).

Old
03-12-2014, 11:56 PM
rockjngo

He's done.

Old
03-13-2014, 12:01 AM
SnapVirus

I'd sign him for 20M$ on 4 years. Hes our captain. He got everything a good coach is looking for : work hard, responsible both ways, lead by exemple, lots of character, etc.

At his age he should be able to keep the same pace for the next couple of years. Plus hes playing big when the game is on the line.

Not.

Old
03-13-2014, 12:10 AM
Tyson

If the Habs resign him I will cancel my center ice package and stop watching this team. Enough with the 5'7 third liners! Good god

Old
03-13-2014, 12:32 AM
Beendair Donedat

He's excellent at missing the net... If we honestly didn't trade him and that offer of a second and prospect was real... I really don't know what Montreal's talent evaluators are seeing... He's a third liner now and he's a small third liner... Cut ties with him when the season is over.

Old
03-13-2014, 09:57 AM
PricePkPatch*

He's useless both as a offensive forward and a leader. I've called out his leadership style as being simple, but not very effective.

If you want a defensive winger, put him with Eller for god's sake. Gionta doens't deserve to play with Vanek.

Vanek-Plek-Galchenyuk
Patch-DD-Gallagher
Gionta-Eller-?????

Old
03-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Just don't expect to win hockey games then, that's all.
Right, because Gionta is our saviour :/ ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
Andrighetto is good, but he is still quite raw. He is not ready yet. Prust is a 4th liner who can fill in on the third when called upon, not top 6. If we do that, we don't make the playoffs, and its evident that the only goal this year is to make the playoffs. The point remains, there were no viable options to fill Gio's role.
Let's be honest, if Andrighetto was actually over 6' he would have been called up a long time ago. He's ready to perform in the NHL. He'll be sloppy, make mistakes, but what rookie doesn't do these things.

Old
03-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Foxhole Fred

I'd like to see him replaced by Radim Vrbata. I think he would slot in nicely next to Plekanec.

Old
03-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

vCash: 50
Objectively, I think he's a decent third liner. Good defensively, can chip a goal here or there. If he would play on the third line for 2,5MM, I'd have no problem with him.

He's not, so I subjectively hate him and give the finger to my TV everytime I see him on the ice.

Old
03-13-2014, 09:59 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The problem is Gionta is somehow nailed to Plekanec's hip by Therrien. Gionta has not been relegated to being a 3rd line winger (which he should be, especially now). He has no shot, he's a black hole offensively, and he just can't read the skill of high level players. The majority of his goals now come from the side of the net or scrambles.
If he's a black hole offensively why is he very good for ESP?

I don't want him on PP but denying he can play a PK and shutdown role while providing offensive support would be false. He can contribute but not a top 6 level, that's fair enough.

He's still useful if used right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
I think a big disconnect in your posts about DD and Gionta is assessing players individually instead of looking at the the big picture, ie the team and the league.

The entire Western Conference has ONE player who is 5'9" or shorter out of 322 players. 1/322. Less than one-third of one percent of the Western Con players are that friggin tiny.

Meanwhile the Habs have FIVE such players. That's 22% of our roster. And most of our top-six forwards. This is a physical limitation that impacts what our squad can and cannot do on the ice.

Maybe the skill level of our midgets is good. But other teams don't want them, that's the message. No other team has built such a small roster. So any arguments about a small player's skill making up for his size to the degree that size does not matter, arguments to that effect are not endorsed by the rest of professional hockey.

If some of us here want Gio gone next year it is not because we want a crap big guy. No one is suggesting that would be a good idea. And arguing that we should keep Gio because he's "better" than out worst big guy (Bourque) is similarly flawed reasoning.

Of course if Gio skates through Chara's legs and scores the Game 7 GWG in May I'll admit that the smurf strategy is genius and I was wrong.
So let me get this straight. Suppose Gionta was UFA last year and asked for say 3 mil for 2 years(6 mil total) and there was guys like Clarkson, clowe and so on out there, we'd get the big guys?

I don't assess players in a vacuum as you suggest. I care about size as well but what matters to me is the mix. I'd get rid of briere and bourque before arguing gionta's worth.

If I was a midget defender as some suggest, why do I have no love for boullion or briere? Don't care for either, want them gone really.

Gionta I don't mind in 3rd line role though. I think he fits.

Old
03-13-2014, 10:38 PM
JAVO16

Defender of midgetdom would make a great user title lol

Old
03-13-2014, 10:43 PM
Hackett
BAKAMAN

His offensive abilities have declined to a non top 6 role. He's not completely useless, he's just not in the right spot in the lineup.

Old
03-14-2014, 01:20 AM
NobleSix
I usually post drunk

vCash: 416
If habs re-sign Gionta, I consider taking a temporary hiatus from this team. Re-sign exactly what the habs don't need? Yeah, right on.

Old
03-14-2014, 01:22 AM
WhiskeySeven
Retired. Bye.

vCash: 300
I don't understand how any self-respecting Habs fan is alright with carrying 4+ smurfs in their top 6, being captained for, what is it, 4 seasons by an old, injury-prone declining smurf mercenary and still be okay with missing the playoffs every odd-year. We're fans of the greatest franchise in this sport's history, the Gainey era was sure to remind us of that every few months with a retirement ceremony, so why are we okay with this guy lacing up his skates as our on-ice leader? Has he ever lead our team in scoring? In talent? In effort? In effectiveness? He's the definition of the Jacques Martin smurf-era; where "the system" was more important than talent or skill or passion.

Gionta's not fit to scrub Koivu's shoes*. I'd rather carry 3 As than deal with this kind of mediocrity ever again - July 1st can't come soon enough.

As a hockey player he's fine and can contribute on a decent number of teams (he definitely wouldn't fit in a team like LA however) - but he's done as a top6er and can't work with DD for obvious reasons. So we keep and and drag Plekanec down even more or we cut him loose and find another winger, maybe Vanek, and finally upgrade our RW. I know the answer I like.

*and I was far from a fan of Koivu's captaincy. But at least the guy was our best centre. Gionta WAS our best mercenary scrub... until Bergevin signed Briere.

Old
03-15-2014, 10:35 AM
JLP
Refugee

Prust is back, Weise starts tonight and Bournival cleared for contact. Could Gio become a healthy scratch down the stretch?

Old
03-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Analyzer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Prust is back, Weise starts tonight and Bournival cleared for contact. Could Gio become a healthy scratch down the stretch?
Not likely.

When he was absolutely terrible and useless he wasn't even demoted.

Old
03-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Andrei79

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
He's useless both as a offensive forward and a leader. I've called out his leadership style as being simple, but not very effective.

If you want a defensive winger, put him with Eller for god's sake. Gionta doens't deserve to play with Vanek.

Vanek-Plek-Galchenyuk
Patch-DD-Gallagher
Gionta-Eller-?????
Gionta has been an excellent captain. The locker room issues have been a non factor since he's been captain.

Old
03-15-2014, 12:36 PM
EveryDay

Vanek won't be back and Parros and Gionta need to go as well....On defence Bouillon and Weaver are out.
Really hope they can get rid of Briere and Bourque somehow.....

Patches-DD-???
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bournival-Eller-???
Moen-White-Prust
Weise

Tinordi-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Beaulieu-Gorges
Murray

Price
Budaj

Old
03-15-2014, 07:34 PM
JLP
Refugee

Lines without Gionta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Weise was a sweet pickup, he should stay in the lineup
DD&freinds
Briere-Plex-Weise
EGG
Bournival-White-Prust

Cap'n Gio nothing personal but
Weise is much faster than Gio
Weise is much stronger than Gio
Weise's passing and shooting so far look pretty good

Is it best that Bournival and White would be scratched while Gio plays down the stretch? How about:
I remember when he came over Weise said he wanted more offensive opportunities but Torts didn't provide them. He thinks he's better than a 4th liner is he right maybe?

Old
03-15-2014, 07:44 PM
djpass

No matter how you look at it, there's no other alternative but to let this guy go at the end of the season.

Habs refused to get something for him at the deadline, I respect that considering the Vanek move.

But he's getting old and Habs will still have too many small players up front.

Terrible idea to keep him when you can easily replace him with someone that can do his job while being a bigger body on your top 9.

Old
03-15-2014, 07:59 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I don't understand how any self-respecting Habs fan is alright with carrying 4+ smurfs in their top 6, being captained for, what is it, 4 seasons by an old, injury-prone declining smurf mercenary and still be okay with missing the playoffs every odd-year. We're fans of the greatest franchise in this sport's history, the Gainey era was sure to remind us of that every few months with a retirement ceremony, so why are we okay with this guy lacing up his skates as our on-ice leader? Has he ever lead our team in scoring? In talent? In effort? In effectiveness? He's the definition of the Jacques Martin smurf-era; where "the system" was more important than talent or skill or passion.

Gionta's not fit to scrub Koivu's shoes*. I'd rather carry 3 As than deal with this kind of mediocrity ever again - July 1st can't come soon enough.

As a hockey player he's fine and can contribute on a decent number of teams (he definitely wouldn't fit in a team like LA however) - but he's done as a top6er and can't work with DD for obvious reasons. So we keep and and drag Plekanec down even more or we cut him loose and find another winger, maybe Vanek, and finally upgrade our RW. I know the answer I like.

*and I was far from a fan of Koivu's captaincy. But at least the guy was our best centre. Gionta WAS our best mercenary scrub... until Bergevin signed Briere.
We shouldn't have Briere in the lineup, nor Boullion. As for missing playoffs every odd year we didn't make it once out of 4 and maybe 1 time out of 5 soon enough.

If we can keep Vanek he's priority #1 obviously, no doubt about it.

Old
03-15-2014, 08:00 PM
JLP
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpass View Post
No matter how you look at it, there's no other alternative but to let this guy go at the end of the season.

Habs refused to get something for him at the deadline, I respect that considering the Vanek move.

But he's getting old and Habs will still have too many small players up front.

Terrible idea to keep him when you can easily replace him with someone that can do his job while being a bigger body on your top 9.
Irks me, I hope it's not true MB turned down a 2nd and a prospect from NJ.

Would be happy if MT would "rest" Gio down the stretch and try rotating size up to the top six with something like the above lines.

Old
03-15-2014, 08:04 PM
JLP
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
We shouldn't have Briere in the lineup, nor Boullion. As for missing playoffs every odd year we didn't make it once out of 4 and maybe 1 time out of 5 soon enough.

If we can keep Vanek he's priority #1 obviously, no doubt about it.
Obviously you did not watch the first period of tonight's game vs Ottawa

Old
03-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Gionta and Briere are both capable NHL players. It's just that for us, given some of our other player personnel, it has to be obvious that Gionta won't play for us after this season, nor Briere after next. I don't see why it has to become a witchhunt against those players. They're good enough at what they do and should have no trouble finding NHL employment elsewhere. It's just that the Habs have to look at other players atm.

Old
03-16-2014, 09:40 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Suppose Gionta was UFA last year and asked for say 3 mil for 2 years(6 mil total) and there was guys like Clarkson, clowe and so on out there, we'd get the big guys?

I don't assess players in a vacuum as you suggest. I care about size as well but what matters to me is the mix. I'd get rid of briere and bourque before arguing gionta's worth.

If I was a midget defender as some suggest, why do I have no love for boullion or briere? Don't care for either, want them gone really.

Gionta I don't mind in 3rd line role though. I think he fits.
Interesting using him on the third line with Eller and Galchenyuk to stabilize it defensively, while allowing Briere a more offensive role with Plekanec and Vanek.

It also puts Gallagher back with DD and Patches, while still permitting a decent fourth line of Prust plus two of Moen/Bournival/White/Weise/Bourque, whoever is playing well or can provide energy. And then there is Parros, who can play the next time we face Ottawa to protect............... the referees (!) from those goons.

Closed Thread