HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers sign Gratton

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2005, 09:24 PM
m2k2p

vCash: 500
Panthers sign Gratton

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...12_210606_5136

meh seems like an overpayment. I guess he is the 4th line center, an upgrade from what we had, but too much for him. Not a fan of his from what I have seen.

Old
08-12-2005, 09:33 PM
Clash*

If he plays like Robbie Neidermayer, good pick-up for third line center. If he plays like the Gratton that has been on almost every team in the league, definite overpayment, especially with the Luongo situation.

Old
08-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Crossbar

Nice I was hoping we'd get Gratton. Big physical guy we can place in front of the opposing net and insurance center that's good at faceoffs in case Joe gets hurt (was originally hoping for Scatchard tho before he got picked up by the Rags).

Old
08-12-2005, 09:37 PM
m2k2p

the knock on Gratton seems to be getting him motivated. I hear he is pretty good on faceoffs. So we have Jokinen, Niewy, Weiss, and Gratton. Is Jokinen getting moved to a LW position possibly?

Old
08-12-2005, 09:56 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar
Nice I was hoping we'd get Gratton. Big physical guy we can place in front of the opposing net and insurance center that's good at faceoffs in case Joe gets hurt (was originally hoping for Scatchard tho before he got picked up by the Rags).
Ditto!

Old
08-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2k2p
the knock on Gratton seems to be getting him motivated. I hear he is pretty good on faceoffs. So we have Jokinen, Niewy, Weiss, and Gratton. Is Jokinen getting moved to a LW position possibly?
I put my money on Weiss and Luongo gettin traded for Belfour and Nolan, or something completely idiotic like that.

Old
08-12-2005, 10:11 PM
PantherBlood6*

Good call -- except Nolan is a UFA so Toronto may have a hard time trading him.

Good move for 900k -- looking pretty good in the faceoff department now with Gratton and Nieuwy

Old
08-12-2005, 10:12 PM
m2k2p

NHL's Top face-off men

No. 3, Joe Nieuwendyk - The former Devil pivot, now with the Maple Leafs, won 809 of his 1,383 faceoffs, or 58.5 percent of the draws he took. Nieuwendyk won 639 of his 1,098 even-strength faceoffs, 142 of his 236 power-play faceoffs and 28 of his 49 shorthanded faceoffs. He was one of the main reasons the Devils were so tough to beat last season in both the regular season and playoffs.

No. 2, Chris Gratton - The Phoenix Coyotes center finished with a 58.6 percent rate last season. Gratton won 779 of his 1,330 total draws, 578 of his 1,009 even-strength faceoffs, 174 of the 275 he took on the power play and 27 of the 46 draws he took while his team was shorthanded.

from Impact for 2002-2003 season
http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

I did'nt realize Gratton was that good on the draw, we were like the worst team at face-offs...so this helps a lot in that regard.

Old
08-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
I don't mind this addition, Keenan is sure adding the experence to our team, Hopefully Alexander Mogilny will follow in signing...

Old
08-12-2005, 10:29 PM
Crossbar

I think this could also mean that Horton and Stewart might start the season in the AHL as they were contemplating.

Roberts - Jokinen - Mogilny/Bondra (if we sign one of them)
Gelinas - Nieuwendyk - Huselius
Gratton - Weiss - Kolnik
Hagman - ? - Berglund

Hill - Bouwmeester
Van Ryn - Karpovtsev (hopefully someone else)
Mezei - Cairns

Luongo
McLennan

Old
08-12-2005, 10:29 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Patiently waiting for silver_made to show how Gratton fits in to his line-up. I wonder if he"ll put Kraj and Novak as the third pairing again? I find that terribly amusing.

BTW, Gratton doesn't really bother me. Keep 'em coming.

Old
08-12-2005, 11:02 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Shoot, Bring in Mogilny or Bondra, add a veteran defenseman or two, and you could in the playoffs.

Good to see Keenan doing the right things...sign cheep short term deals with vets....instead of trading your impressive young talent for higher priced vets.

He's setting up Florida well for now and down the road

Old
08-12-2005, 11:03 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

I thought I did pretty well.

Old
08-12-2005, 11:06 PM
wint

Quote:
I think this could also mean that Horton and Stewart might start the season in the AHL as they were contemplating.

Gratton - Weiss - Kolnik
Hagman - ? - Berglund

Hill - Bouwmeester
Van Ryn - Karpovtsev (hopefully someone else)
Mezei - Cairns

Luongo
McLennan
I think Jokinen, Nieuwendyk and Roberts are the only guys with guaranteed spots on the top 3 lines. It will be a dog-fight between everyone else for the spots in camp.

Old
08-12-2005, 11:35 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:

Gratton - Weiss - Kolnik
Hagman - ? - Berglund
With Gratton's size and face-off ability there's no way Weiss will push him to the wing. Horton to the AHL is a bit of a shocker to me, if his shoulder holds up for him he should battle his way back up pretty quick.

Old
08-12-2005, 11:41 PM
Dropkick Alex

I've been able to watch him play alot since I live in Buffalo, he's a big boy like everyone says, and he will stay infront of the net, and when he get's hot he usually gets alot of points in that week or so. And plus he drops the gloves

Old
08-12-2005, 11:51 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
I don't see any reason Horton could't be plugged in there somewhere. Stewart maybe, but if he shows up to camp on fire, he could earn a job.

Old
08-13-2005, 12:06 AM
Dropkick Alex

Horton and Gratton on the same line that's two players that are like 6'5'' right?

Old
08-13-2005, 12:15 AM
Crossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
With Gratton's size and face-off ability there's no way Weiss will push him to the wing.
True. There's no question Gratton owns Weiss at faceoffs, but I think for Weiss to play the wing (through out the course of the game) is going to depend heavily on Weiss' ability and willingness to play/pay the price along the boards, unless Martin has other plans in mind for Weiss (like giving him the same responsibilities he gave Hossa, Havlat and Alffy)?

Old
08-13-2005, 01:14 AM
patastrophe

Send a message via Yahoo to patastrophe
my opinion, its a pretty good signing. hes strong and tough, good on the draw, and the knock on him wasnt necessarily motivation, it was that he was horrifically overpaid thanks to bobby clarke signing him to a 4 mil a year deal at one point.

the toughness and faceoff skills have been lacking here for years.

for 900k we could have done a lot worse.

Old
08-13-2005, 01:33 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouwmeester4
Horton and Gratton on the same line that's two players that are like 6'5'' right?
Yah that would be nice. Gratton has decent passing skills, and if Horton can score the goals like he did last year, he's going to breakout. Anyone smelling a "Nash-type" year this season for Horton? Oh baby.

The team's really starting to take shape, and I'm enjoying this. Let's hope Keenan can be effective with clearing up Luongo and finding us a scorer.

Old
08-13-2005, 02:17 AM
Crossbar

Our powerplay units are going to look interesting having Roberts, Jokinen and Gratton standing in front of the net, as well as Weiss (despite his size, Stephen wasn't at all afraid of standing in front of the net this season in the AHL....the league is definitely a step below in speed compared to the NHL, but it's arguably at or above in the physical department). Then you also have prospects such as Horton, Stewart and Olesz who all have the physical stature and willingness to go to and play in front of the net (if we decide to use any of them this season). Having Van Ryn and Hill unload their cannons and maybe adding a sniper like Mogilny or Bondra for one-timers could make it quite lethal. I think it'll improve, unless Keenan tells Martin that practicing the powerplay isn't important again.

It'd be funny if instead of getting a skilled sniper, Keenan goes out and signs John Leclair or Owen Nolan.

Old
08-13-2005, 02:26 AM
Heimy

IMO Horton is not a prospect, he's a top 6 roster player coming off an injury. He was arguably our best forward when he went down and barring some lingering post-surgical problem, I have every reason to expect him to resume his excellent play to the right of either Jokinen or Nieuwy.

Old
08-13-2005, 02:52 AM
PantherBlood6*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalevPantherFan
Yah that would be nice. Gratton has decent passing skills, and if Horton can score the goals like he did last year, he's going to breakout. Anyone smelling a "Nash-type" year this season for Horton? Oh baby.

The team's really starting to take shape, and I'm enjoying this. Let's hope Keenan can be effective with clearing up Luongo and finding us a scorer.
After the two major surgeries he has undergone -- I wouldn't be setting my expectations that high -- let alone "Nash-type" numbers. You're just setting yourself up for a huge dissapointment. I'd be ecstatic if Horton could just stay healthy and be semi-productive (15-20 goals)

Old
08-13-2005, 06:24 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Roberts-Jokinen-Mogilny (if signed)
Horton-Nieuwendyk-Huselius
Nedorost-Gratton-Kolnik
Hagman-Weiss-Berglund

Hill - Bouwmeester
Van Ryn - Mezei
karpotsev - Cairns

Luongo
McLennan

Thats my opinion on how the lines could/should look. I would like to see a line of Nedo/Weiss/Horton, cause of the chemistry that they showed last time they played, but Weiss is going to have to compete at camp cause of the depth at center. I like the Gratton signing. Ive always been a fan of his, even though I thought he has underachieved. But he does add size and grit to this team, and it doesnt look like we will be complaining about players not willing to stay in front of the net anymore.

Closed Thread