HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michel Therrien knows more about hockey than you do.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2014, 04:23 PM
  #126
McTusk
Registered User
 
McTusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 3,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he has a grand strategy for the playoffs. I do not like the way he has treated PK though. And Bouillon on the powerplay is ridiculous. I agree with that lengthy list below.

This is the same guy who upset the #1 Bruins back in 2002 and took a group of kids to the final in 2008. So, we'll see...
The bolded is my exact sliver of hope for the method to his madness this year and I was going to post essentially the same thing. Of course we will just have to wait and see.

McTusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 04:34 PM
  #127
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Ok, I'm willing to believe that this is some grand poker scheme by Therrien thinking the Habs can coast through the season with the talent they have, and be able to not show his hand till the playoffs... can't wait to see it happen...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 05:33 PM
  #128
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,094
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Ok, I'm willing to believe that this is some grand poker scheme by Therrien thinking the Habs can coast through the season with the talent they have, and be able to not show his hand till the playoffs... can't wait to see it happen...
This is my ultimate dream.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 05:50 PM
  #129
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,602
vCash: 500
Everyone says that we are only where we are because of Carey Price, so I nominate Stephan Waite as the next coach of the Habs.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 05:55 PM
  #130
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Most people in the NHL are hired because of who they know, not what they know. Furthermore knowing more things doesn't make you a good coach. I'm sure Therrien's knows more practice drills than me. Does that mean he's better at evaluating whose the better defensive player Subban or Markov? If I know more hockey trivia than Therrien does that make me more capable of coaching?

Besides the argument that we have to put complete faith in anyone simply because they are in power is just dumb. Maybe we should give up this whole Democracy thing and simply let whoever's in charge name their successor, after all they know more about leading a country then any of us voters.
Doubt it.

Look at our breakouts without any structure. Look at our poor passing.

Therrien may know more practice drills than you or me. However he does not use the ones that would be more beneficial to the team. The basic tape to tape pass and player positioning on the ice.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 06:01 PM
  #131
Uber Coca
Registered User
 
Uber Coca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,765
vCash: 500
I hear you OP. I'm not Therrien's biggest supporter but he gets the job done. His record (64-38-12) since taking over is impressive. The team finished dead last in the conference the year before 2012-2013, too.

A lot of arguments in here are headscratchers. Never forget that some people hated Therrien when Bergevin hired him without a single game played. While Montreal style of play isn't the most entertaining, 4 of the last Stanley Cup winners were playing a similar style in Boston and Los Angeles. The other 2 cups were won by Chicago, a better team overall.

I'll tell you this... Bergevin has received a lot of criticism over the past year for doing nothing. He's now being praised for getting Vanek. Same will happen if Therrien gets to the Conference Finals or beyond.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 06:04 PM
  #132
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBubbleRaincoat View Post
I don't like the insults either. It's been a frustrating year, but we're doing alright! Therrien is not as bad as some make him make out to be.

I still like the speech on the first season of 24CH when they're playing the Laffs after the 6-0 beating."We know what they did to us last game, but we have pride. We have ****ing pride". The boys definitely responded that night. The fans hate him more than the players I'm guessing.
We are doing alright. That is a very true statement. Alright will give us exactly what we have gotten over the past two decades.......Nothing. No Cup.

This team has a lot of talent. Briere being given a role on the 4th line is idiocy. The guy can shoot and may not be a defensive whiz but is capable of scoring goals as shown when he plays on the line with Pleks (very similar to the treatment of Ryder last season toward the end and into the playoffs).

Bourque is an absolute failure, knows he is a failure and does not give one **** nor one ounce of effort on the ice. And he is continually being rewarded with 3rd line duties, effectively preventing Eller and which ever winger on his line to have zero offensive impact.

We signed Vanek and it is clear that Vanek is not clicking with Gionta and Pleks. Instead of reuniting Vanek with Briere and moving Gionta down, he moves Bourque up and breaks up our most successful offensive line.

We are doing alright. Therrien is an alright coach. An alright coach cannot win a Cup with Crosby and Malkin.

For many here, alright is OK.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 06:09 PM
  #133
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58
 
Runner77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,622
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
My accountant knows an awful lot about accounting, but he sure makes a lot of mistakes. He's an idiot.
I know an accountant who farms out his clients' income tax return work to some dude in India who doesn't know anything about our tax laws. But the Indian dude is one great form-filler, charges $30 per return. Accountant reviews and takes a profit and keeps his fees low.

Confidentiality issues? Sensitive information sent to a foreign country to a non-professional? Potential transmission of info allowing seamless identity theft? What's that? Never heard of these issues. He's one great accountant, though, by all appearances.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 06:12 PM
  #134
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
You're laughing but overall Martin was a good coach but a poor motivator. I'd kill to have Martin back with this squad over can't Speek da englich propeurly. Ok I'm mocking, really shouldn't...

And before anyone pulls that little golden nugget: winning > entertaining game. I don't care how we win, just win. I swear that's the biggest boldest lie that's ever been told on this forum. Entertaining games are fun, until you lose
This belief is far too prevalent.

"Martin was a good coach and I wish he was still here because we had a good team."

Good gets you first round exits. Good never allows you to make it to the Stanley Cup playoffs, much less win one.

Good is the enemy of Great.

Hockey is a form of entertainment. However, entertainment is not the goal. Winning a Cup is (or at least I think that some still remember that, Molson included).

Martin had the worst of that. His brand of hockey was not entertaining nor was he a winner. Martin has failed throughout his career and will be remembered as an NHL head coach who never won a Cup.

Why long for failure?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 06:53 PM
  #135
digmor crusher
Registered User
 
digmor crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 689
vCash: 500
Yah that moron, only 3rd place in the conference when most experts picked us to not make the playoffs, the problem is......

Yes, I look at the standings, that is all that matters, where you finish in the standings and how well you do in the playoffs. I could care less if players are under-achieving or over-achieving, it happens all the time.

By some of your guys logic the coaches for the Kings and Blues are idiots too because they have problems scoring goals and the players aren't improving year to year.

I could care less if Subban is sulking or DD is coddled, just win baby.

So Price is saving us, well duh, its not like a hot goalie hasn't done this before.

So some players have not improved this year, well that has never happened before has it? Maybe blame the players, or maybe some of you guys over rate our players, nah, that would never happen on here.

That is all.

digmor crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 06:59 PM
  #136
Treb
Registered User
 
Treb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
Yah that moron, only 3rd place in the conference when most experts picked us to not make the playoffs, the problem is......

Yes, I look at the standings, that is all that matters, where you finish in the standings and how well you do in the playoffs. I could care less if players are under-achieving or over-achieving, it happens all the time.

By some of your guys logic the coaches for the Kings and Blues are idiots too because they have problems scoring goals and the players aren't improving year to year.

I could care less if Subban is sulking or DD is coddled, just win baby.

So Price is saving us, well duh, its not like a hot goalie hasn't done this before.

So some players have not improved this year, well that has never happened before has it? Maybe blame the players, or maybe some of you guys over rate our players, nah, that would never happen on here.

That is all.
So if I coach and Price wins me game, I'm a good coach?

Wait here, I'm going to give my CV to Bergevin.

Treb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 07:01 PM
  #137
Primrose Everdeen
My Next Mistake
 
Primrose Everdeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tempe, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 69,095
vCash: 564
Send a message via Skype™ to Primrose Everdeen
Wayne Gretzky was the greatest player of all time, and he ran the Coyotes into the ground.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 07:10 PM
  #138
Kimota
Three Bananas
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,500
vCash: 500
That is why even though Therrien is not my favorite people, I won't say he's stupid and he's making bad decisions. Cause so far it has worked for him and this team.

And when they start sucking bad and are 11 in the East, it will be time to question him.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 07:12 PM
  #139
Kimota
Three Bananas
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Meh Harper knows more about politics than I do but he's still a lousy PM. (RoC can substitute "Marois" hehehe.) Sort of a weak premise the OP.
He's a great PM if he keeps winning and has had the whole country buy into his concept for Canada.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 07:14 PM
  #140
Kimota
Three Bananas
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I meant 0 regulations wins since the Olympic break. 24 goals conceded over 7 games.

As for lack of honesty? Here you are invoking the record in order to overlook the actual details of the games this season and the under-performance of 90% of the roster.

.500 hockey outside of the 10 game point streak. Which means that for 85% of the season the habs have been playing .500 hockey.

Also, I knew you'd pick on the littlest of errors to avoid actually substantiating any of you opinions. What is your argument outside of "lol 3rd in the east"?

This is the most talented and deep roster since 07-08, yet the Canadiens struggle to win games convincingly and consistently, not just against a stronger western conference, but a weak eastern one as well, requiring their goalie to stand on his head most nights.
Habs have a deep roster? Since when?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 07:21 PM
  #141
Bryson
Registered User
 
Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 500
Knowledge does not equate to intelligence. IQ tests are often timed because intelligence also implies the ability to make a logical decision in a timely manner. The fact that Therrien often gets out coached and lacks to ability to adapt/slow to react actually implies the opposite of intelligence. MT is a motivator, not a strategist. These types of coaches have a short shelf like because once their schtick wears out they tend to wear out their welcome. Also want to point out that people KNOW that smoking is bad for us and have known this for years yet half the population smokes in spite of the facts which further proves that humans are flawed by design.

That being said, the first year MT took over as head coach was a real breath of fresh air. Not just because he was a new coach but because his decisions were based on logic. Whenever HFBoards consensus agreed on something, it might have took MT a couple of games but he always came around. This year his over utilization of Boullion on the PP. Breaking up the EGG line and letting Eller's confidence hit rock bottom before remedying the situation. His favoring and punishing of certain players proves that he is no longer thinking rationally but emotionally which is never a good thing for someone in an authoritative position.

Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 07:23 PM
  #142
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,969
vCash: 500
Head coaches don't always know the most about hockey. Sometimes they are just good motivators/psychologists/communicators. More often than not, the assistants is where the hockey knowledge is, they're the ones that come up with the play patterns.

Head coaches are the ones that take the heat, though, even if its the assistants that suck.

Now, Therrien doesn't strike me as a hockey technician and he never did. But Jodoin is a pretty good one, and Gallant is a pretty balanced coach IMO.

Problem with an head coach that isn't a technician is that everybody gets sick of listening to the same crap after a while. People got sick of listening to Jacques Demers just the same they got sick of listening to John Tortorella and there you have two "non technicians" that are about as polar opposites as can be.

I think Bergevin knew what he was doing when he signed him for 2 years only, and at this point, I'd say that if he doesn't get to the 2nd round of the playoffs, he won't be renewed.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 07:37 PM
  #143
Hugo Sham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Head coaches don't always know the most about hockey. Sometimes they are just good motivators/psychologists/communicators. More often than not, the assistants is where the hockey knowledge is, they're the ones that come up with the play patterns.

Head coaches are the ones that take the heat, though, even if its the assistants that suck.

Now, Therrien doesn't strike me as a hockey technician and he never did. But Jodoin is a pretty good one, and Gallant is a pretty balanced coach IMO.

Problem with an head coach that isn't a technician is that everybody gets sick of listening to the same crap after a while. People got sick of listening to Jacques Demers just the same they got sick of listening to John Tortorella and there you have two "non technicians" that are about as polar opposites as can be.

I think Bergevin knew what he was doing when he signed him for 2 years only, and at this point, I'd say that if he doesn't get to the 2nd round of the playoffs, he won't be renewed.
signed for 3 years

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 07:41 PM
  #144
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
signed for 3 years
I rhought this was his last year, oh well.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 07:45 PM
  #145
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,515
vCash: 500
Therrien has been sheltered by a crappy conference.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 07:51 PM
  #146
Bryson
Registered User
 
Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Head coaches don't always know the most about hockey. Sometimes they are just good motivators/psychologists/communicators. More often than not, the assistants is where the hockey knowledge is, they're the ones that come up with the play patterns.

Head coaches are the ones that take the heat, though, even if its the assistants that suck.

Now, Therrien doesn't strike me as a hockey technician and he never did. But Jodoin is a pretty good one, and Gallant is a pretty balanced coach IMO.

Problem with an head coach that isn't a technician is that everybody gets sick of listening to the same crap after a while. People got sick of listening to Jacques Demers just the same they got sick of listening to John Tortorella and there you have two "non technicians" that are about as polar opposites as can be.

I think Bergevin knew what he was doing when he signed him for 2 years only, and at this point, I'd say that if he doesn't get to the 2nd round of the playoffs, he won't be renewed.
Pretty funny. We actually said the same thing at the same time. Great minds.

I've actually been catching up on South Park in preparation to play The Stick of Truth. Good Stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
signed for 3 years
MB should have given MT the Subban 2 year lowball deal.

Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 08:03 PM
  #147
Genesis76
Registered User
 
Genesis76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: Greece
Posts: 725
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBobrovsky View Post
The fact that MT knows more about hockey than any of us, which I agree with, doesn't negate that he's an idiot, likely with a very low IQ.
it takes one to see one


If Therrien is an idiot then the whole organisation is filled with idiots cuz they hired him.

Genesis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 08:06 PM
  #148
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 18,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
The bolded is my exact sliver of hope for the method to his madness this year and I was going to post essentially the same thing. Of course we will just have to wait and see.
I've said this before.. but last year the way we played was not sustainable over an 82 games schedule + playoffs.

We're playing a less demanding style while remaining in the thick of things.

I don't see why we couldn't revert back to last season's style come playoff time when it's an all or nothing situation.

Des Louise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 08:07 PM
  #149
Andrei79
Registered User
 
Andrei79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 530
vCash: 500
Yes he does, and a second year med student probably knows more about treating diseases than 99% of posters here. Yet we can both agree you wouldn't let one treat you and if you followed that science every day, you'd eventually be able to tell a crappy doctor from a good one and that wouldn't imply you could do a better job or had more knowledge.

The point being, he's far from the best candidate.

Andrei79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 08:11 PM
  #150
Grant McCagg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,626
vCash: 500
I agree with Phil's points....Therrien may well not be back if this team doesn't win a playoff round - Bergevin revealed his (and Geoff's) expectations when he picked up Vanek...he wants this team to win a round or more.

There was turmoil earlier in the season among players over Therrien's hard-assed approach, and strong rumours that Patch wanted out because of Therrien... but to MT's credit he has mellowed his act somewhat...and Patch is a lot happier now that he's back playing with his buddy and scoring. That's something folks don't consider when railing on MT for keeping DD with Patch...would you rather have had a disgruntled, slumping Patch demanding a trade or a happy, productive Patch?

Therrien could have stayed rigid on Max...in the past he might have...but Patches would now be playing for another team.

In a weird sort of way I think the early dissension helped to galvanize this group. Right now I think it's a pretty tight dressing room, and if Price comes back healthy and strong and the team gets some breaks they might be in for a bit of a playoff run.

Anyway - I don't think anyone is proclaiming Therrien to be a great coach, and I certainly was not happy when he was re-hired...but he has surprised me this time around....he's learned from some of his mistakes..there has been some maturity, and I really don't think his player evaluation has been that awful with a couple of exceptions. That's nothing new..every coach the Habs have ever had played some guys more than fans thought he should...even Blake, Bowman and Irvin. I used to think Bowman was nuts for dressing no talents Rick Chartraw and Cam Connor over Larouche

He's not a big systems guy - as pointed out by Phil..that's often the assistant coach's realm anyway - and the message will wear thin with an emotional coach after awhile..but I'm not so sure his expiry date is up just yet. The stars might be just aligned for the Habs to do some damage in the playoffs..if that happens we'll be "stuck" with MT for awhile. If the team doesn't win 4+ playoff games though...I think Bergevin will replace him. I really think it is a win-win for Hab fans at this time.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.