HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rivals and other questions.

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2005, 02:04 AM
Original6

vCash: 500
Rivals and other questions.

I'm new to these boards and im a leafs fan from toronto. I don't know much about the Predators, but Im begining to like their roster mostly because you guys have Dany markov and steve sullivan. I used to like em a lot before that idiot quinn let them go. Anyways Who are your rivals and why(stories would be nice)? What kind of atmosphere is it in Nashville and the arena during a preds game (Type of music when play is stopped, Goal horn, Score board).

Old
08-12-2005, 02:20 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHockey
I'm new to these boards and im a leafs fan from toronto. I don't know much about the Predators, but Im begining to like their roster mostly because you guys have Dany markov and steve sullivan. I used to like em a lot before that idiot quinn let them go. Anyways Who are your rivals and why(stories would be nice)? What kind of atmosphere is it in Nashville and the arena during a preds game (Type of music when play is stopped, Goal horn, Score board).
First off...welcome to the boards...and you've picked an EXCELLENT second team to follow

Alright, now for your questions:

Rivals-

1. Detroit Red Wings

There's a saying around Nashville..."Dead before Red" and that tells you about all you need to know. For a long time, most of the hostility was one-sided...Nashville fans hating Detroit. This can be traced to the large amount of "PredWing" fans in Nashville. When Saturn opened it's automotive plant in Spring Hill, TN, a lot of Michigan natives were transplanted to the Nashville area...bringing with them their love of hockey. While some of these fans are also Preds fans...they never fail to don the hated red jersey when the WIngs are in town. These games are always rowdy both on the ice and in the stands. In the early seasons, the ratio of Wings fans to Preds fans was unbearable, but in recent years the balance is getting better. You can imagine how electric the playoff series was, last year. In recent years, we've kind of "had the WIngs' number,' so the team\fans of the Wings have started to share the rivalry.

2. Columbus Blue Jackets

This is more of a "fun" rivalry. We were the two new teams that no one really cared about and weren't good enough to really dislike...so we started beating up on each other. It's fun to watch their forum and ours...because we spend a lot of time razzing each other. Secretly, I think both teams like to see the other succeed because it signifies a shift in power in the Central division. For a long time, we were pushovers to teams like the Blues and Wings, and now the Jackets and Preds are building strong rosters. We dream of a playoff year that sees the Wings and Blues out...so we can focus all our hatred on each other

3. Calgary Flames

This is a newer one. It can mostly be traced back to a game in which Jarome Iginla ran Tomas Vokoun...who, having something of a temper...retaliated by going after Iginla. In every subsequent game, Vokoun and Iginla(and even Vokoun and Kiprusoff) have gotten into scrums. One of the most memorable games of 03\04 was a 3-1 Nashville victory in Calgary that saw a bench clearing brawl, with even the coaches barking at each other.

Lesser rivals:

Atlanta Thrashers(regional proximity)
St Louis
Chicago

The atmosphere in Nashville during games is...rowdy. The crowd(lead by 'the cell block,' section 303) loves to jeer opposing players with raucous chants(Our goalie-razzing is infamous around the league) including the much-maligned "Chelios is a Sissy!" chant. Media and fans across the league, including the sometimes-skeptical Canada, stood up and took notice of the atmosphere in Nashville during the playoffs. The GEC was perhaps the loudest arena, which impressed a lot of people.

When a goal is scored, the horn used is comparable to the one used in Chicago...but rings out longer. You can google "hockey goal horns" and find a clip of it, I'm sure. It's immediately followed by a personalized version of Tim McGraw's "I like it, I love it" written for the Preds, followed by the standard KernKraft "Zombie Nation" (OH OH OH OH, OH OH OH OH OH, OH OH OH!, yeah, that one)

Anyway...that's it in a nutshell. I'm proud of the group of fans we have, here. Nashville catches a bad rap, but I think we have some of the most diehard fans in the league...and you'll be impressed by just how knowlegable they are.

Old
08-12-2005, 02:32 AM
Original6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
First off...welcome to the boards...and you've picked an EXCELLENT second team to follow

Alright, now for your questions:

Rivals-

1. Detroit Red Wings

There's a saying around Nashville..."Dead before Red" and that tells you about all you need to know. For a long time, most of the hostility was one-sided...Nashville fans hating Detroit. This can be traced to the large amount of "PredWing" fans in Nashville. When Saturn opened it's automotive plant in Spring Hill, TN, a lot of Michigan natives were transplanted to the Nashville area...bringing with them their love of hockey. While some of these fans are also Preds fans...they never fail to don the hated red jersey when the WIngs are in town. These games are always rowdy both on the ice and in the stands. In the early seasons, the ratio of Wings fans to Preds fans was unbearable, but in recent years the balance is getting better. You can imagine how electric the playoff series was, last year. In recent years, we've kind of "had the WIngs' number,' so the team\fans of the Wings have started to share the rivalry.

2. Columbus Blue Jackets

This is more of a "fun" rivalry. We were the two new teams that no one really cared about and weren't good enough to really dislike...so we started beating up on each other. It's fun to watch their forum and ours...because we spend a lot of time razzing each other. Secretly, I think both teams like to see the other succeed because it signifies a shift in power in the Central division. For a long time, we were pushovers to teams like the Blues and Wings, and now the Jackets and Preds are building strong rosters. We dream of a playoff year that sees the Wings and Blues out...so we can focus all our hatred on each other

3. Calgary Flames

This is a newer one. It can mostly be traced back to a game in which Jarome Iginla ran Tomas Vokoun...who, having something of a temper...retaliated by going after Iginla. In every subsequent game, Vokoun and Iginla(and even Vokoun and Kiprusoff) have gotten into scrums. One of the most memorable games of 03\04 was a 3-1 Nashville victory in Calgary that saw a bench clearing brawl, with even the coaches barking at each other.

Lesser rivals:

Atlanta Thrashers(regional proximity)
St Louis
Chicago

The atmosphere in Nashville during games is...rowdy. The crowd(lead by 'the cell block,' section 303) loves to jeer opposing players with raucous chants(Our goalie-razzing is infamous around the league) including the much-maligned "Chelios is a Sissy!" chant. Media and fans across the league, including the sometimes-skeptical Canada, stood up and took notice of the atmosphere in Nashville during the playoffs. The GEC was perhaps the loudest arena, which impressed a lot of people.

When a goal is scored, the horn used is comparable to the one used in Chicago...but rings out longer. You can google "hockey goal horns" and find a clip of it, I'm sure. It's immediately followed by a personalized version of Tim McGraw's "I like it, I love it" written for the Preds, followed by the standard KernKraft "Zombie Nation" (OH OH OH OH, OH OH OH OH OH, OH OH OH!, yeah, that one)

Anyway...that's it in a nutshell. I'm proud of the group of fans we have, here. Nashville catches a bad rap, but I think we have some of the most diehard fans in the league...and you'll be impressed by just how knowlegable they are.
A very nice and informative post. As for the bad rep that comes with ignorance because only TRUE hockey fans talk about the characteristics of a game i.e Players, Depth, Goaltending to antagonize a team. Fake fans are the ones who will use cultural/location stereo types, which you've probably heard over the years.

Old
08-12-2005, 02:49 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHockey
What kind of atmosphere is it in Nashville and the arena during a preds game (Type of music when play is stopped, Goal horn, Score board).
All you need to know about the atmosphere in the GEC during a game (esp. during the playoffs) can be found, or heard, in this little clip.

http://www.mvp-pages.com/hv/03_04/det_nas3.mpg

Old
08-12-2005, 02:52 AM
Original6

Too bad my sound card is busted.

Old
08-12-2005, 04:24 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303
All you need to know about the atmosphere in the GEC during a game (esp. during the playoffs) can be found, or heard, in this little clip.

Agreed, and as for the horn itself just go to http://nashvillepredators.com/offtheice/goalhorn.wav

As for the 303 section, they have a website that includes many of the chants they use.

Old
08-12-2005, 07:01 AM
PredsMan

That Legwand playoff goal has been on my desktop for over a year...I hadn't watched it in a long time.

I just watched it 10 times in a row, and got chills every time!

WOOHOOO!

Old
08-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Original6

Now imagine the team going deeeep in the playoffs and some last ditch efforts in the 3rd to tie the game and an odd man rush to win the game in OT.

Gotta love them playoffs.

Old
08-12-2005, 09:36 AM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303

Man did Leggy bury that chance. The only bad thing about that link is it get me wanting October to get here.

As far as the Atomsphere goes Section 303 is great. Sitting in the Lower bowl actually stinks (for me at least) mostly corperate people making deals on their cell phone, plus I find it hard to see the entire rink down there. The 2003 draft was an unbelievable experience for the city, everyone expected it to be a dud with about 6000 or so people there, but the place was packed about a hour before the start. Heck it was funny duirg the table Mike check when the teams are called out one by one, the loud roar for the Preds table and the even louder Boo's for the Red Wings.

Red Wings are the team we hate the most. Their fans are the Most Obnoxious people ever, they rub it in our faces all their history, cups, and every thing, and cry like a baby when we kick their scrowny little butts. With the power hopefully starting to shift our way the Games vs the Wings could become boring actually because not many of those arrogant types will be in the building.

Blues ditto to a lesser extent. They have no cups so it shuts them up to remind them of that fact sometimes.

Blackhawks are on the same level with the Blues.

Vancouver was becoming a rival mostly because Bertuzzi cross-checked our Defensman and scored one game, and Trotz went nuts and sent a tape to the league office, and He still continues to do it. Now Calgary is starting to take their place. The Kings are starting to be a thorn in our sides also.

Old
08-12-2005, 10:40 AM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
Quote:
2. Columbus Blue Jackets

shhhhh... dont let that get out.

Old
08-12-2005, 11:26 AM
muddycreek*

Wings suck. They are the Yankees of the NHL...buying victories BUT now that is OVER! Bring it on baby! The wings still have the big sissy!

Old
08-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Original6

I know all about wings fans... trust me.. got family in detroit. When there is a player out their for grabs they talk about getting him, but once he is off the market, because another team acted quick, they say stuff like "meh .. he isn't that great anyways. I never wanted to get him." It's pretty funny actually.

Old
08-12-2005, 02:45 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
2. Columbus Blue Jackets

SILENCE! The Jackets are bringing the pain to you fools this year! THE PAIN!!!!!1!1!

Old
08-12-2005, 02:49 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru
SILENCE! The Jackets are bringing the pain to you fools this year! THE PAIN!!!!!1!1!

Well, I was about to give you guys the benefit of crediting you with three wins as opposed to just two(one of which we scored two goals for you, i should mention...how's that for pity?!) but then I remembered that we now face each other EIGHT times! So...those three wins we might generously spot you don't seem like much. We'll give you just enough points to sneak into the playoffs, so that we can humiliate you in the first round

Old
08-12-2005, 02:57 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Well, I was about to give you guys the benefit of crediting you with three wins as opposed to just two(one of which we scored two goals for you, i should mention...how's that for pity?!) but then I remembered that we now face each other EIGHT times! So...those three wins we might generously spot you don't seem like much. We'll give you just enough points to sneak into the playoffs, so that we can humiliate you in the first round
Wow. You guys take the final spot in the playoff and lose in the first round and I'm supposed to bow down to your franchise? What was your PP in the playoff again? 1 goal in 28 chances. That's a 4% power play in the playoffs! Power house stuff there guys.

You see Dr. Hockey, Nomorekids is right. Nashville and Columbus hate each other but the thing is we both hate the Red Wings.

Old
08-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Original6

Yes.. two up and comming teams. Reminds me of the Flames / Oilers in the late 70's early 80's.

Old
08-12-2005, 03:10 PM
C-J Carlson

I think the Predators have a simmering rivalry with Chicago, since the Blackhawks, despite being a terrible team, have had Nashville's number in the past. This coming season, with the improvements to the Hawks, that rivalry might explode. I think the Preds lost to the Hawks in the past because we didn't give the Hawks enough respect. Now that Chicago may be decent, Nashville will have to respect them, and ironically may start beating them for that reason.

Anyhoo...

Christopher "Beautiful" Carlson
Canada's #1 Nashville Predators Fan
"You can never have too many pucks."

Old
08-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Original6

Honestly, I see a huge Preds vs Blues rivalry going on in the future. Once both teams face e/o in the playoffs and with that close proximity it could brew into one of the ugliest rivalries around. I think it would be good for both teams. St louis has never had a regional rival before and god knows they've been longing for one since 67.

Old
08-12-2005, 03:17 PM
polarslam

How are the Preds doing in attendence. In 2002 and 2003 I was in town and caught a game and while the announced attendence was somewhat respectable it was clear the the building was not nearly as full as reported.

Is that a regular thing?

Old
08-12-2005, 03:25 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

imagine that, someone from Winnipeg questioning our attendance...j/k

Our attendance from all account I've been getting will be close to that of the first year. I have a friend that wanted to switch his season tickets that was told it might be really difficult the way ticket sales have gone. I know we got a huge surge in the offseason before the lock-out and more than 80% of those where retained. Since the Kariya signing, we've had some of the best days ever season ticket wise, according to CL himself, he thought the early indications are the Kariya signing would easily add 2000 season tickets alone.

Old
08-12-2005, 03:34 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
imagine that, someone from Winnipeg questioning our attendance...j/k

Our attendance from all account I've been getting will be close to that of the first year. I have a friend that wanted to switch his season tickets that was told it might be really difficult the way ticket sales have gone. I know we got a huge surge in the offseason before the lock-out and more than 80% of those where retained. Since the Kariya signing, we've had some of the best days ever season ticket wise, according to CL himself, he thought the early indications are the Kariya signing would easily add 2000 season tickets alone.
My ticket rep told me yesterday that they sold 1200 new season tickets during the weekend of the Kariya signing....

Old
08-12-2005, 05:37 PM
Radulov for Czar*

Anyone have any more clips from the playoffs? Perhaps DVD's of the games?

Old
08-12-2005, 09:32 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Quote:

2. Columbus Blue Jackets

Why the hatred? We've got nothing but love for you guys in Columbus...

Old
08-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Original6

I don't know what's more horrid the photo shop job or that thing in your avatar.

Old
08-13-2005, 07:34 AM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Apparently the avatar, as the admin's just made me remove it....

Some people are just WAAAAAAYYYYY too serious......

Closed Thread