HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Canucks terminate concession contract with Aramark

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-17-2014, 06:21 PM
  #101
TheWanderer
Registered User
 
TheWanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soth View Post
I don't think anyone here is happy that people lost their jobs. The food was crap though, and it is a good move to terminate the contract and try to find a better alternative. And honestly, it should be very easy to find a better alternative. They could fill the place with japadog carts and instantly have 10X better tasting food.
This is the problem with ****ing unions. The money goes into the overpaid workers, rather than the product. Look no further than BC Ferries for case in point.

Hopefully this results in some half-decent food at a slightly acceptable price, respectively.

TheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 06:33 PM
  #102
Jimson Hogarth
Registered User
 
Jimson Hogarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 7,760
vCash: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
This is the problem with ****ing unions. The money goes into the overpaid workers, rather than the product. Look no further than BC Ferries for case in point.

Hopefully this results in some half-decent food at a slightly acceptable price, respectively.
Wow. Prove it.

Jimson Hogarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 07:29 PM
  #103
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
This is the problem with ****ing unions. The money goes into the overpaid workers, rather than the product. Look no further than BC Ferries for case in point.

Hopefully this results in some half-decent food at a slightly acceptable price, respectively.
I will be the first one to admit that Local 40...
The union that represents the Rogers Arena concession workers...
Is pretty useless...
And the only time I ever saw the representatives from Local 40...
Was when another union threaten to come in and take over...
But I highly doubt that the overpriced and subpar food is all due to the union.

Even if there is no union...
And Aramark only pays the minimum wage...
It would be probably more of the same.
There would not be a significant increase in quality...
Or decrease in price.
They would just put the savings back into the shareholders' pockets.

nameless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:45 AM
  #104
Salty Stiggleton
Global Moderator
bangus pls
 
Salty Stiggleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Maple Ridge B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,107
vCash: 50
Soooooooooo have they hired anyone new or are they just going without food or drinks tomorrow?

Salty Stiggleton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:13 AM
  #105
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013
 
Uhmkay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,805
vCash: 500
The contract does not run out until the end of June.

I can assure you that many of the people that are currently losing their jobs will be rehired directly by the Canucks. The same thing happened when Canucks took over the Ticketmaster office. Most of the Tickmaster agents were hired directly and now are employees of the Canucks, and their wages stayed the same. In fact, I think any Ticketmaster agent who applied were hired back at the same wage.

I believe we'll be doing the same thing with Aramark staff.

The decision to terminate the contract with Aramark has little to do with wages and more to do with the Canucks wanting more control over food and pricing. For years we have had complaints about food quality and prices, but when dealing with Aramark, there were often too many hurdles, which is often the case when dealing with unionized companies. The new concession employees will likely still have the same wages, different union (CLAC instead of Local 40), and the Canucks in the end will be able to bring in more diversified menus and higher quality food. Also, when you cut out the middle man (Aramark) who wants his own share of the profit, it means more profit for the owners.

One thing you may want to realize about the Aqualinis is that they like to have control of EVERYTHING that has to do with their business. They didn't just buy the Canucks in their opinion. They purchased a revenue generating business that they have taken every opportunity to dramatically increase revenue. New residential/business towers attached to the arena on the land Canucks already owned, new concession options, new Canucks outlet retail stores, etc. They are driven completely on taking the Revenues the Canucks were already making and squeezing every last drop of Revenue they can out of the business.

Wait until you guys see the new Sports Bar they have planned for the complex.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:19 PM
  #106
TheWanderer
Registered User
 
TheWanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimson Hogarth View Post
Wow. Prove it.
I am going to respectfully shy away from starting an anti-union debate, but my position is one that is far from out of the ordinary.

TheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:22 PM
  #107
SighReally
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
The contract does not run out until the end of June.

I can assure you that many of the people that are currently losing their jobs will be rehired directly by the Canucks. The same thing happened when Canucks took over the Ticketmaster office. Most of the Tickmaster agents were hired directly and now are employees of the Canucks, and their wages stayed the same. In fact, I think any Ticketmaster agent who applied were hired back at the same wage.

I believe we'll be doing the same thing with Aramark staff.

The decision to terminate the contract with Aramark has little to do with wages and more to do with the Canucks wanting more control over food and pricing. For years we have had complaints about food quality and prices, but when dealing with Aramark, there were often too many hurdles, which is often the case when dealing with unionized companies. The new concession employees will likely still have the same wages, different union (CLAC instead of Local 40), and the Canucks in the end will be able to bring in more diversified menus and higher quality food. Also, when you cut out the middle man (Aramark) who wants his own share of the profit, it means more profit for the owners.

One thing you may want to realize about the Aqualinis is that they like to have control of EVERYTHING that has to do with their business.
They didn't just buy the Canucks in their opinion. They purchased a revenue generating business that they have taken every opportunity to dramatically increase revenue. New residential/business towers attached to the arena on the land Canucks already owned, new concession options, new Canucks outlet retail stores, etc. They are driven completely on taking the Revenues the Canucks were already making and squeezing every last drop of Revenue they can out of the business.

Wait until you guys see the new Sports Bar they have planned for the complex.
Oh I think we came to that realization a month ago

SighReally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:25 PM
  #108
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 10,426
vCash: 50
Never understood outsourcing concession in such a big business. Especially when the concession offers nothing unique.

There are some know-hows involved but it's not complicated.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:51 PM
  #109
LeftCoast
Registered User
 
LeftCoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,030
vCash: 50
Possible related story

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Can...153/story.html

Aquilini Groups purchases Toptable restaurant group including West, Bluewater Cafe, Araxi's etc.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:49 AM
  #110
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 21,610
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Never understood outsourcing concession in such a big business. Especially when the concession offers nothing unique.

There are some know-hows involved but it's not complicated.
Probably has to do with ability to get enough events to keep people busy and assets fully utilised (industrial kitchens). Aramark likely have a lot of different businesses so they can spread the work around, just catering to one area is more difficult.

It will be to see how Aquilini's proceed, will they extend the business beyond Rogers arena, push to cater events outside the arena, buy and bring in more restaurants under the umbrella.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 01:11 AM
  #111
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 10,426
vCash: 50
Makes sense.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 06:34 PM
  #112
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,910
vCash: 500
CS&E postings for executive positions connected to the new in-house food services initiative.

Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks 3h
We are now hiring for our hospitality operation in @RogersArena. Click here for more:
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=40003


Including:
EXECUTIVE CHEF - VANCOUVER CANUCKS (VANCOUVER, BC)

CONTROLLER, HOSPITALITY - VANCOUVER CANUCKS (VANCOUVER, BC)

DIRECTOR, QUICK SERVICE - VANCOUVER CANUCKS (VANCOUVER, BC)

DIRECTOR, PREMIUM SERVICE - VANCOUVER CANUCKS (VANCOUVER, BC)

HUMAN RESOURCES ADVISOR - VANCOUVER CANUCKS (VANCOUVER, BC)

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 08:17 PM
  #113
TheWanderer
Registered User
 
TheWanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
CS&E postings for executive positions connected to the new in-house food services initiative.

Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks 3h
We are now hiring for our hospitality operation in @RogersArena. Click here for more:
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=40003


Including:
EXECUTIVE CHEF - VANCOUVER CANUCKS (VANCOUVER, BC)

CONTROLLER, HOSPITALITY - VANCOUVER CANUCKS (VANCOUVER, BC)

DIRECTOR, QUICK SERVICE - VANCOUVER CANUCKS (VANCOUVER, BC)

DIRECTOR, PREMIUM SERVICE - VANCOUVER CANUCKS (VANCOUVER, BC)

HUMAN RESOURCES ADVISOR - VANCOUVER CANUCKS (VANCOUVER, BC)
Cutting out the middle man. Good to see. Maybe we will see a concession price decrease or quality increase. Either one would be great; both would almost make it worth going to concession!

TheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 08:34 PM
  #114
RobertKron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
Cutting out the middle man. Good to see. Maybe we will see a concession price decrease or quality increase. Either one would be great; both would almost make it worth going to concession!
Much more probable is a minor quality increase in some places (ex. introducing a spot to get some legit local craft beer or something like that) which is coupled with a likely disproportionate price increase.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 08:36 PM
  #115
TheWanderer
Registered User
 
TheWanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKron View Post
Much more probable is a minor quality increase in some places (ex. introducing a spot to get some legit local craft beer or something like that) which is coupled with a likely disproportionate price increase.
I know you're probably right. I'm just in denial...

TheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 01:28 PM
  #116
NHLNucksFan
Registered User
 
NHLNucksFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 266
vCash: 500
My buddies work part time at the concessions at Rogers Arena. They've *****ed for years about how poor management has been and only this year, a contract year, have they pushed to improve things.

Too little, too late for Aramark.

NHLNucksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 06:24 PM
  #117
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,910
vCash: 500
Memo to CS&E.. how about this on the menu when you take over? Asian influence so it fits...

Province Sports ‏@provincesports
Texas ballpark grub RT @espn_durrett The Choomongous, 24-inch Asian beef sandwich with spicy slaw on a bun. Cost $26.


Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 06:56 PM
  #118
Rain
Registered User
 
Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Memo to CS&E.. how about this on the menu when you take over? Asian influence so it fits...

Province Sports ‏@provincesports
Texas ballpark grub RT @espn_durrett The Choomongous, 24-inch Asian beef sandwich with spicy slaw on a bun. Cost $26.

I would love to see more ethnic foods to reflect our multicultural city.

It would be awesome to grab some butter chicken and rice, some sushi or some pad thai or even a japadog or some chinese noodles.

Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 09:34 PM
  #119
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,910
vCash: 500
And anther menu suggestion... you can never go wrong with Bacon-on-a-Stick

Daryl Reaugh ‏@Razor5Hole
"Bacon Stick", you're damn right! #Texas “@espn_durrett: Bacon on a stick to be sold at #Rangers games this year.


Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 02:57 PM
  #120
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,910
vCash: 500
Replacement workers...

Province Sports ‏@provincesports
Want to work for the #Canucks? Jobs fair offers 1,000 positions at Rogers Arena
Hundreds of jobs are up for grabs with the Vancouver Canucks — and no, that doesn’t include the head coaching gig.

Canucks Sports and Entertainment is holding a jobs fair at from 1 to 7 p.m. Monday and Tuesday at Rogers Arena to fill hospitality and concession positions.

The company terminated its contract with U.S.-based Aramark, whose local employees are members of Local 40 UNITE HERE, effective June 30. It plans to operate its own food and beverage service starting July 1, and will hire 1,000 people.

According to the online posting, Canucks Sports and Entertainment — which also owns the Vancouver Canucks hockey team — is looking for “customer-focused” individuals who are “passionate about delivering outstanding service and creating unforgettable guest experiences.”

The jobs, posted online in March, include sous chefs, supervisors, and managers, as well as “hourly positions” for bartenders, cooks, hawkers, stewards, servers, and suite hosts.
http://www.theprovince.com/news/Roge...523/story.html

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 03:17 PM
  #121
Ernie
Registered User
 
Ernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKron View Post
Much more probable is a minor quality increase in some places (ex. introducing a spot to get some legit local craft beer or something like that) which is coupled with a likely disproportionate price increase.
I wouldn't hold out hope for a decent beer. They make a lot of money from beer sponsorships, part of which includes exclusivity of beer sales in the arena. No way any micro gets in there any time soon.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 03:47 PM
  #122
LeftCoast
Registered User
 
LeftCoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,030
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
And anther menu suggestion... you can never go wrong with Bacon-on-a-Stick

Daryl Reaugh ‏@Razor5Hole
"Bacon Stick", you're damn right! #Texas “@espn_durrett: Bacon on a stick to be sold at #Rangers games this year.

Hey - what if the sticks ....

were made of BACON?

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 04:22 PM
  #123
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimson Hogarth View Post
Wow. Prove it.
I take it you've never seen the bonus structure for BC Ferries executives, or the fact a person who pushes a vacuum around the ferry for an hour and then waves traffic on and off the boat makes $30/hour.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 09:40 PM
  #124
Whale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I take it you've never seen the bonus structure for BC Ferries executives, or the fact a person who pushes a vacuum around the ferry for an hour and then waves traffic on and off the boat makes $30/hour.

-OT RANT INCOMING-

Who cares what he does or doesn't do for his cash? Bully for him to have an easy job at a descent wage. What I care about is that that person can afford to buy a house, buy a new car every 3-4 years, has the disposable income to go out for dinner or to a hockey game, pays more taxes into the system than he takes out, can pay for his kids college tuition, etc etc. Those jobs are the only thing keeping our economy from collapsing due to a lack of consumers with disposable income.

Who wants to win a race to the bottom? Perhaps if we all worked for free it would make all products and services free... now is that pure communism or pure capitalism? You decide, either way you lose.



Now the folks making six and seven figures to "network" on a golf course then get paid multimillion dollar bonuses for exploiting foreign temps and destroying the small businesses of the province with foreign franchise licenses (hello 7-11, whatever happened to the family run corner store?), money that they then invest in foreign stock markets and hidden offshore bank accounts, the guy who drives up home prices by "investing" in real estate all the while acting like a self entitled **** and finding every loophole possible to avoid paying taxes as though hospitals, roads and sewage systems that he relies on every day just magically appeared out of nowhere... those guys are the real drag on the economy and piss me right off.

-OT RANT OVER-

And Aramark sucks... good riddance.

Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 09:44 PM
  #125
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,388
vCash: 50
overpaying people to do ferry work is like, 0.0005% of the waste in the world and directly helps people who might need it. most of govt. waste is pouring cash onto insanely rich people to make them richer, not paying too much to janitor #552

Verviticus is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.