HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Canucks terminate concession contract with Aramark

Old
03-17-2014, 06:21 PM
TheWanderer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soth View Post
I don't think anyone here is happy that people lost their jobs. The food was crap though, and it is a good move to terminate the contract and try to find a better alternative. And honestly, it should be very easy to find a better alternative. They could fill the place with japadog carts and instantly have 10X better tasting food.
This is the problem with ****ing unions. The money goes into the overpaid workers, rather than the product. Look no further than BC Ferries for case in point.

Hopefully this results in some half-decent food at a slightly acceptable price, respectively.

TheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Jimson Hogarth

vCash: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
This is the problem with ****ing unions. The money goes into the overpaid workers, rather than the product. Look no further than BC Ferries for case in point.

Hopefully this results in some half-decent food at a slightly acceptable price, respectively.
Wow. Prove it.

Jimson Hogarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 07:29 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:

I will be the first one to admit that Local 40...
The union that represents the Rogers Arena concession workers...
Is pretty useless...
And the only time I ever saw the representatives from Local 40...
Was when another union threaten to come in and take over...
But I highly doubt that the overpriced and subpar food is all due to the union.

Even if there is no union...
And Aramark only pays the minimum wage...
It would be probably more of the same.
There would not be a significant increase in quality...
Or decrease in price.
They would just put the savings back into the shareholders' pockets.

nameless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Salty Stiggleton
Global Moderator
bangus pls

vCash: 50
Soooooooooo have they hired anyone new or are they just going without food or drinks tomorrow?

Salty Stiggleton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:13 AM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

The contract does not run out until the end of June.

I can assure you that many of the people that are currently losing their jobs will be rehired directly by the Canucks. The same thing happened when Canucks took over the Ticketmaster office. Most of the Tickmaster agents were hired directly and now are employees of the Canucks, and their wages stayed the same. In fact, I think any Ticketmaster agent who applied were hired back at the same wage.

I believe we'll be doing the same thing with Aramark staff.

The decision to terminate the contract with Aramark has little to do with wages and more to do with the Canucks wanting more control over food and pricing. For years we have had complaints about food quality and prices, but when dealing with Aramark, there were often too many hurdles, which is often the case when dealing with unionized companies. The new concession employees will likely still have the same wages, different union (CLAC instead of Local 40), and the Canucks in the end will be able to bring in more diversified menus and higher quality food. Also, when you cut out the middle man (Aramark) who wants his own share of the profit, it means more profit for the owners.

One thing you may want to realize about the Aqualinis is that they like to have control of EVERYTHING that has to do with their business. They didn't just buy the Canucks in their opinion. They purchased a revenue generating business that they have taken every opportunity to dramatically increase revenue. New residential/business towers attached to the arena on the land Canucks already owned, new concession options, new Canucks outlet retail stores, etc. They are driven completely on taking the Revenues the Canucks were already making and squeezing every last drop of Revenue they can out of the business.

Wait until you guys see the new Sports Bar they have planned for the complex.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:19 PM
TheWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimson Hogarth View Post
Wow. Prove it.
I am going to respectfully shy away from starting an anti-union debate, but my position is one that is far from out of the ordinary.

Old
03-18-2014, 10:22 PM
SighReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
The contract does not run out until the end of June.

I can assure you that many of the people that are currently losing their jobs will be rehired directly by the Canucks. The same thing happened when Canucks took over the Ticketmaster office. Most of the Tickmaster agents were hired directly and now are employees of the Canucks, and their wages stayed the same. In fact, I think any Ticketmaster agent who applied were hired back at the same wage.

I believe we'll be doing the same thing with Aramark staff.

The decision to terminate the contract with Aramark has little to do with wages and more to do with the Canucks wanting more control over food and pricing. For years we have had complaints about food quality and prices, but when dealing with Aramark, there were often too many hurdles, which is often the case when dealing with unionized companies. The new concession employees will likely still have the same wages, different union (CLAC instead of Local 40), and the Canucks in the end will be able to bring in more diversified menus and higher quality food. Also, when you cut out the middle man (Aramark) who wants his own share of the profit, it means more profit for the owners.

One thing you may want to realize about the Aqualinis is that they like to have control of EVERYTHING that has to do with their business.
They didn't just buy the Canucks in their opinion. They purchased a revenue generating business that they have taken every opportunity to dramatically increase revenue. New residential/business towers attached to the arena on the land Canucks already owned, new concession options, new Canucks outlet retail stores, etc. They are driven completely on taking the Revenues the Canucks were already making and squeezing every last drop of Revenue they can out of the business.

Wait until you guys see the new Sports Bar they have planned for the complex.
Oh I think we came to that realization a month ago

SighReally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:25 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Never understood outsourcing concession in such a big business. Especially when the concession offers nothing unique.

There are some know-hows involved but it's not complicated.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:51 PM
LeftCoast

Possible related story

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Can...153/story.html

Aquilini Groups purchases Toptable restaurant group including West, Bluewater Cafe, Araxi's etc.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:49 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Never understood outsourcing concession in such a big business. Especially when the concession offers nothing unique.

There are some know-hows involved but it's not complicated.
Probably has to do with ability to get enough events to keep people busy and assets fully utilised (industrial kitchens). Aramark likely have a lot of different businesses so they can spread the work around, just catering to one area is more difficult.

It will be to see how Aquilini's proceed, will they extend the business beyond Rogers arena, push to cater events outside the arena, buy and bring in more restaurants under the umbrella.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 01:11 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Makes sense.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 06:34 PM
Wetcoaster

CS&E postings for executive positions connected to the new in-house food services initiative.

Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks 3h
We are now hiring for our hospitality operation in @RogersArena. Click here for more:
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=40003

Including:
EXECUTIVE CHEF - VANCOUVER CANUCKS (VANCOUVER, BC)

CONTROLLER, HOSPITALITY - VANCOUVER CANUCKS (VANCOUVER, BC)

DIRECTOR, QUICK SERVICE - VANCOUVER CANUCKS (VANCOUVER, BC)

DIRECTOR, PREMIUM SERVICE - VANCOUVER CANUCKS (VANCOUVER, BC)

HUMAN RESOURCES ADVISOR - VANCOUVER CANUCKS (VANCOUVER, BC)

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 08:17 PM
TheWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
CS&E postings for executive positions connected to the new in-house food services initiative.

Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks 3h
We are now hiring for our hospitality operation in @RogersArena. Click here for more:
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=40003

Including:
EXECUTIVE CHEF - VANCOUVER CANUCKS (VANCOUVER, BC)

CONTROLLER, HOSPITALITY - VANCOUVER CANUCKS (VANCOUVER, BC)

DIRECTOR, QUICK SERVICE - VANCOUVER CANUCKS (VANCOUVER, BC)

DIRECTOR, PREMIUM SERVICE - VANCOUVER CANUCKS (VANCOUVER, BC)

HUMAN RESOURCES ADVISOR - VANCOUVER CANUCKS (VANCOUVER, BC)
Cutting out the middle man. Good to see. Maybe we will see a concession price decrease or quality increase. Either one would be great; both would almost make it worth going to concession!

Old
03-20-2014, 08:34 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Cutting out the middle man. Good to see. Maybe we will see a concession price decrease or quality increase. Either one would be great; both would almost make it worth going to concession!
Much more probable is a minor quality increase in some places (ex. introducing a spot to get some legit local craft beer or something like that) which is coupled with a likely disproportionate price increase.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 08:36 PM
TheWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKron View Post
Much more probable is a minor quality increase in some places (ex. introducing a spot to get some legit local craft beer or something like that) which is coupled with a likely disproportionate price increase.
I know you're probably right. I'm just in denial...

Old
03-21-2014, 01:28 PM
NHLNucksFan

My buddies work part time at the concessions at Rogers Arena. They've *****ed for years about how poor management has been and only this year, a contract year, have they pushed to improve things.

Too little, too late for Aramark.

NHLNucksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Wetcoaster

Memo to CS&E.. how about this on the menu when you take over? Asian influence so it fits...

Province Sports ‏@provincesports
Texas ballpark grub RT @espn_durrett The Choomongous, 24-inch Asian beef sandwich with spicy slaw on a bun. Cost $26.

Old
03-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Rain

Quote:
Memo to CS&E.. how about this on the menu when you take over? Asian influence so it fits...

Texas ballpark grub RT @espn_durrett The Choomongous, 24-inch Asian beef sandwich with spicy slaw on a bun. Cost $26.

I would love to see more ethnic foods to reflect our multicultural city.

It would be awesome to grab some butter chicken and rice, some sushi or some pad thai or even a japadog or some chinese noodles.

Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 09:34 PM
Wetcoaster

And anther menu suggestion... you can never go wrong with Bacon-on-a-Stick

Daryl Reaugh ‏@Razor5Hole
"Bacon Stick", you're damn right! #Texas “@espn_durrett: Bacon on a stick to be sold at #Rangers games this year.

Old
05-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Wetcoaster

Replacement workers...

Want to work for the #Canucks? Jobs fair offers 1,000 positions at Rogers Arena
Hundreds of jobs are up for grabs with the Vancouver Canucks — and no, that doesn’t include the head coaching gig.

Canucks Sports and Entertainment is holding a jobs fair at from 1 to 7 p.m. Monday and Tuesday at Rogers Arena to fill hospitality and concession positions.

The company terminated its contract with U.S.-based Aramark, whose local employees are members of Local 40 UNITE HERE, effective June 30. It plans to operate its own food and beverage service starting July 1, and will hire 1,000 people.

According to the online posting, Canucks Sports and Entertainment — which also owns the Vancouver Canucks hockey team — is looking for “customer-focused” individuals who are “passionate about delivering outstanding service and creating unforgettable guest experiences.”

The jobs, posted online in March, include sous chefs, supervisors, and managers, as well as “hourly positions” for bartenders, cooks, hawkers, stewards, servers, and suite hosts.
http://www.theprovince.com/news/Roge...523/story.html

Old
05-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKron View Post
I wouldn't hold out hope for a decent beer. They make a lot of money from beer sponsorships, part of which includes exclusivity of beer sales in the arena. No way any micro gets in there any time soon.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 03:47 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
And anther menu suggestion... you can never go wrong with Bacon-on-a-Stick

Daryl Reaugh ‏@Razor5Hole
"Bacon Stick", you're damn right! #Texas “@espn_durrett: Bacon on a stick to be sold at #Rangers games this year.

Hey - what if the sticks ....

were made of BACON?

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 04:22 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimson Hogarth View Post
Wow. Prove it.
I take it you've never seen the bonus structure for BC Ferries executives, or the fact a person who pushes a vacuum around the ferry for an hour and then waves traffic on and off the boat makes $30/hour.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I take it you've never seen the bonus structure for BC Ferries executives, or the fact a person who pushes a vacuum around the ferry for an hour and then waves traffic on and off the boat makes $30/hour.

-OT RANT INCOMING-

Who cares what he does or doesn't do for his cash? Bully for him to have an easy job at a descent wage. What I care about is that that person can afford to buy a house, buy a new car every 3-4 years, has the disposable income to go out for dinner or to a hockey game, pays more taxes into the system than he takes out, can pay for his kids college tuition, etc etc. Those jobs are the only thing keeping our economy from collapsing due to a lack of consumers with disposable income.

Who wants to win a race to the bottom? Perhaps if we all worked for free it would make all products and services free... now is that pure communism or pure capitalism? You decide, either way you lose.

Now the folks making six and seven figures to "network" on a golf course then get paid multimillion dollar bonuses for exploiting foreign temps and destroying the small businesses of the province with foreign franchise licenses (hello 7-11, whatever happened to the family run corner store?), money that they then invest in foreign stock markets and hidden offshore bank accounts, the guy who drives up home prices by "investing" in real estate all the while acting like a self entitled **** and finding every loophole possible to avoid paying taxes as though hospitals, roads and sewage systems that he relies on every day just magically appeared out of nowhere... those guys are the real drag on the economy and piss me right off.

-OT RANT OVER-

And Aramark sucks... good riddance.

Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 09:44 PM
Verviticus

overpaying people to do ferry work is like, 0.0005% of the waste in the world and directly helps people who might need it. most of govt. waste is pouring cash onto insanely rich people to make them richer, not paying too much to janitor #552

Verviticus is online now   Reply With Quote