HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Canucks terminate concession contract with Aramark

Old
07-12-2014, 02:37 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimson Hogarth View Post
Not a chance you know someone in East Vancouver living in a legal suite paying $300 per month rent. My BS meter juts went off.
In a shared living environment, entirely possible. Not a single suite on their own, though.

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 04:32 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Lots of anti union sentiment around here.

I'm pro for trades though.
It's like nobody will be happy until everybody is poor.

Why race to the bottom? Can't we try to push wages up instead of dragging them down? Isn't that better?

When wages go down, the extra money goes into offshore bank accounts. It doesn't circulate in our economy. When wages go up, those extra wages circulate in the local economy. Not a difficult concept.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Tymer View Post

Why race to the bottom? Can't we try to push wages up instead of dragging them down? Isn't that better?

When wages go down, the extra money goes into offshore bank accounts. It doesn't circulate in our economy. When wages go up, those extra wages circulate in the local economy. Not a difficult concept.
Wages go up in any given sector, so do your costs. If you are paying the guy taking your ticket at a movie 30 bucks an hour, your movie will cost $40 bucks.

Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 05:22 PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not a chance you know someone in East Vancouver living in a legal suite paying $300 per month rent. My BS meter juts went off.
I assure you, I know how much housing costs in Vancouver.

I own a five bedroom house in the lower mainland.

Until two years ago I used to rent for $1,850 (going up to $1,975 over a four year period) a month for a 900 sq ft two bedroom overlooking the water in False Creek North (and I know it was a deal). My sister now rents that place and it's still under $2K.

I also used to rent a ~700 sq ft apartment, which was actually pretty nice, for $1,050 between Robson and Smithe on Burrard. I passed the lease on to a buddy when I needed to get a bigger place and it still rents for that price. Two people could easily split rent there and I would suggest given the location and the general niceness of the building (good and clean but not amazing) it was a steal of a deal.

Those are what I would consider premium locations and are often the quoted rental prices in Vancouver. That being said, if you are willing to share a place, you can certainly go cheaper, as noted below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bob Cole View Post
In a shared living environment, entirely possible. Not a single suite on their own, though.
Correct, thanks.

In Victoria it was two roommates paying less than $300 each for a two-bed condo. My friend who was doing that was working at a gas station, surfing 4 days a week, and saving a few hundred bucks every month.

In East Vancouver its six guys sharing a house. The house is a block from both Commercial Drive and the Skytrain. Each tenant has their own bedroom, the cheapest actually only costing $250, the most expensive $450. The guy paying $250 had agreed to ensure that the tenants didn't get out of control (on behalf of the landlord).

There's different types of housing for different income levels.

604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 06:54 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
Wages go up in any given sector, so do your costs. If you are paying the guy taking your ticket at a movie 30 bucks an hour, your movie will cost $40 bucks.
First off, that math is way off, even if you are arguing for a $30/hr wage for entry level jobs (which hardly anyone is).

A recent study in the States indicated that if Walmart was to raise it's employee wages to a liveable standard and pass all of the costs onto it's customers, a 68 cent box of mac and cheese would see a staggering price hike, all the way up to 69 cents.

Obviously the numbers are skewed when dealing with an organization the size of Walmart, but the costs of a wage hike in smaller businesses are largely going to be dissipated through the customer base, and certainly won't be passed on at a rate of 1-to-1 as you seem to be suggesting.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Jimson Hogarth

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I assure you, I know how much housing costs in Vancouver.

I own a five bedroom house in the lower mainland..
Next time I need advice on living poor I'll be sure to come to a guy livin in a 5 bedroom house

Jimson Hogarth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 09:29 PM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
In regards to trades:

The quality of union jobs tends to be better quality than non union. But obviously also end up costing more.

I'd rather be in a building built with quality.

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 09:34 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

12$ an hour is not that bad for anybody under 25 years old. Go to the states, people make like 7$ an hour and the prices their are just a bit cheaper.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 11:00 PM
thehockeyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
12$ an hour is not that bad for anybody under 25 years old. Go to the states, people make like 7$ an hour and the prices their are just a bit cheaper.
I guarantee that you wouldn't make that claim if that was your wage and had to pay for all the necessities of life living in Vancouver.

thehockeyfanatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 02:12 AM
VanillaCoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
The USA is a ****ing lot cheaper than Vancouver. Or any major city in Canada.
It's not even close.

VanillaCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 02:21 AM
SighReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehockeyfanatic View Post
I guarantee that you wouldn't make that claim if that was your wage and had to pay for all the necessities of life living in Vancouver.
I get paid less than that and I'm fine. Graduate school though.

SighReally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 02:30 AM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoke View Post
The USA is a ****ing lot cheaper than Vancouver. Or any major city in Canada.
It's not even close.
My gf lives in seattle and the bolded's so true it's not even funny. Especially when it comes to the cost of groceries. Of course, if she wants to go see a doctor, her $200/month obamacare plan doesn't even cover anything until she's spent more than $2k, so it still costs her another ~$150/250 just go to see a family physician on top of the $200 she's already paying. Crazy.

Samzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 12:25 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
That's a "don't want to" situation...not "cant".

I know a couple people paying under $300 in rent, in Victoria and in the GVRD (East Van). I can assure you that you can live on $10 an hour if you chose to live with roomates, eat at home, ride public transportation, and mostly do free activities...most people want more than that but there is a certain valid element to the, "If you want more than food, shelter, and health care; earn it."

My wife is part of a union, and like everything else, there good and bad when it comes to that.
You're not supposed to live on $10 an hour for a full time job. That doesn't mean the pay should be higher, it means you should find a different job if you expext to make rent. Those service jobs are meant for students and unskilled people. Or they're a stepping stone for people to work 2 or 3 jobs and save up to start a business or go back to school.

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 12:56 PM
Tin Horn

So how much will Rogers employees now get paid? Just skimmed through and I didn't see it.

I think it's fair to say that there are a lot of families in Vancouver trying and failing to make it on minimum wage, by the way - or people who can't have a family because they are only able to earn minimum wage.

Tin Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 01:07 PM
Sharpshooter

vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Tymer View Post

This.

Also speaking a small business owner, i'm all for higher hourly wages and pro-union employment. The more disposable income my customers can spend on my products, the more money I make.

Quote:
Nonsense.

Sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 01:09 PM
DasItMane
REKT

vCash: 1644
So how about that new food?

DasItMane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Guys:

http://elitedaily.com/sports/mlb-sta...l-park/660259/

Obviously not bud light but this is fantastic.

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 03:32 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 364
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter1 View Post
Nonsense.
Well yeah it's nonsense for the simple fact that the ticket taker isn't taking 1 ticket per hour (+$30 for 1 customer). He may take 150 tickets which would raise the cost by 20 cents per customer if the owner were to pass the costs along. But increased costs generally result in less economic activity overall which decrease jobs overall. If the wage went up $30, the theater owner wouldn't close the place but would probably lay off 1 or 2 employees.

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2014, 07:46 PM
TheWanderer

For perspective, Aramark supplies prisons with food - and they do a piss-poor job of it.

TheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 12:13 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

For those asking about the Salary, etc of the positions by the new employees.... the wages will not be effected, in fact some of the positions will actually see an increase.

Canucks management terminated the contract with Aramark because they were not happy with the quality of the food and wanted more control in decisions made with regards to food variety and quality. Next time you're at a Canucks game, and in fact next time you're at Roger's Arena for any event, you'll likely notice a completely different menu with much better options, as well as a greater selection of healthy food.

To quote an article
Quote:
In March, the Canucks terminated their food concession contract with the U.S.-based Aramark Food Services, and announced the franchise would be starting up its own food and beverage service.

That same month, the Aquilini Investment Group, owners of the Canucks, purchased the Toptable Group, the parent company of high-end restaurants CinCin, Bluewater Café, West, Thierry Chocolaterie, Patisserie and Café and Araxi (Whistler).
The Canucks have brought over much of the expertise at these restaurants to completely revamp their menu at the arena. The Canucks ownership simply didn't feel that guests were receiving the quality and variety they thought should be getting for the price they were paying.... for that, I'm sure we can all agree. Including within this expertise is Jay Jones, who will be helping bring in new drinks and dramatically improving service with staff serving alcohol.
Quote:
The Vancouver Canucks, in an effort to enhance their fan experience inside Rogers Arena, have hired popular mixologist and drink slinger Jay Jones as their new director of wine and beverage.
Quote from Jay Jones interview:
Quote:
With that kind of resumé, we can expect Jones to improve on Rogers Arena’s current beer lineup of Budweiser and Alexander Keiths, although he was cagey when I asked him if he’d be able to install some B.C. craft beer taps in the arena’s concession booths.

“There is room for improvement,” he said. “Being a fan, I know the city is excited as to what’s coming next as far as on-ice performance. The hospitality experience is congruent with that. We have the opportunity to provide a world-class hospitality experience … The fans deserve a great team, and they deserve a great food and beverage experience.”
You'll notice that there are many new items that are similar to the type of food that many of these restaurants serve. The quality will be much higher than just simple Chicken Fingers and crappy luke warm deep fried fries. It's not the $30 course meal stuff they're bringing. But the style/quality of food will be much higher.

New food and beverage details were briefly talked about during the summer summit.

Some other tidbits:
- Hard alcohol will now be available to all sections, not just the Club Seats.
- The Canucks have a new restaurant/sports bar attached to the arena that is scheduled to open for the beginning of the 2014/15 season.
- A visual of what the area will look like in the future.

I hope this answers a few questions.

Last edited by Uhmkay: 07-27-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Jimson Hogarth

No questions will be answered until the employees attempt to unionise. Managements response will tell their true intention with mass layoffs.

Old
07-27-2014, 12:20 PM
Jimson Hogarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
You're not supposed to live on $10 an hour for a full time job. That doesn't mean the pay should be higher, it means you should find a different job if you expext to make rent. Those service jobs are meant for students and unskilled people. Or they're a stepping stone for people to work 2 or 3 jobs and save up to start a business or go back to school.
Hey thanks for the heads up and lecture NYC! Tale of two cities!

Old
07-27-2014, 12:28 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
No questions will be answered until the employees attempt to unionise. Managements response will tell their true intention with mass layoffs.
The new employees will already be unionized. The entire staff at Roger's Arena already belongs to a union, as will the new employees working in food and beverage.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 12:35 PM
Jimson Hogarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
The new employees will already be unionized. The entire staff at Roger's Arena already belongs to a union, as will the new employees working in food and beverage.
nice, didn't know that.

Old
07-27-2014, 01:16 PM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Wow hard alchohol to all seats! About time! Hope they beefed up security

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote