HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malkin Interviewed by Dmitry Chesnokov while walking to the team bus on Monday night

Old
03-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Difference of opinion. It happens.

I can think of many superstar players who wouldn't be sulking about it weeks after. He's a professional athelete being paid handsomely by a team trying to win a Cup. Focus on that.
Who said he was sulking? You're reading an interview where he gave honest answers and making assumptions. He IS sad they lost. It IS devastating. He said he will move on. Also keep in mind this is being translated so some meanings may come across differently.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 05:03 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Who said he was sulking? You're reading an interview where he gave honest answers and making assumptions. He IS sad they lost. It IS devastating. He said he will move on. Also keep in mind this is being translated so some meanings may come across differently.
Every interview he's given he's come across as a guy who's not all there mentally. Neal was quoted as saying they'll have to lift him up when he's back.

I'm not gonna go off on a tirade about it. I love the guy. But it would be nice if he was a bit more focused on the task at hand like Sid.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 05:05 PM
WheresRamziAbid

Quote:
Every interview he's given he's come across as a guy who's not all there mentally. Neal was quoted as saying they'll have to lift him up when he's back.

I'm not going to off on a tirade about it. I love the guy. But it would be nice if he was a bit more focused on the task at hand like Sid.
Would you like to make any more assumptions?

WheresRamziAbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Ally22

Yeah but Sid is the Olympic gold medallist and being hailed as a hero in Canadian media. Imagine if he had lost in Vancouver and Babcock treated him like **** to boot. It's a little bit different. It's understandable for Geno to be sad, and I interpreted it as he was working to get over it as well. Kudos to all the guys in the room being respectful toward each other though!

Ally22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 05:10 PM

Holy **** guys, Geno will be fine. He's not going to play poorly forever. Dude just had one of his dreams shattered. Stop acting like he's a robot. Sid just won a gold medal and probably feels on top of the world. There is no comparison between the two right now.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 05:31 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3074326 View Post
Holy **** guys, Geno will be fine. He's not going to play poorly forever. Dude just had one of his dreams shattered. Stop acting like he's a robot. Sid just won a gold medal and probably feels on top of the world. There is no comparison between the two right now.
Agreed. People love to complain about hockey players' robotic personalities, yet any time a player shows even a sliver of humanity, suddenly it seems that everybody expects them to be robots. I'm sure Malkin is absolutely devastated by the result in Sochi; he's only human. I'm also sure that he will do his best to move past in and keep on keeping on in the NHL. Move along folks, nothing to see here!

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 05:47 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

God forbid a human being have an emotion about missing a once in a lifetime shot at a legendary accomplishment.

BrunoPuntzJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 05:51 PM
catdaddy
Return Of The King

Everybody has good times and bad times in their lives regardless of their profession or how much they're getting paid. Malkin obviously had a lot invested emotionally while playing for his country in his homeland. Expectations were great and his team failed on a world stage. His statements appear to be truthful and candid. He's moving on, not 'dying alive'. Geno will be fine, but this is analagous to grief/grieving and will take a little time.

catdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Honour Over Glory

This thread took a turn for the weird real quick.

People questioning Malkin's mental toughness? Really? The guy had a shot at winning Gold on home soil, the same home soil he has a turbulent history with since he bolted for the Penguins years ago. Not only that, the Russian Hockey Federation or whatever you want to call that dictatorship, royally screwed the NHL'ers that were there to help their country, Malkin made that known as well, they misused him, Datsyuk, and Ovechkin, big time. He was definitely choked about that, I wouldn't blame him for being angry and a little down after that, but he also said he has the rest of the NHL to make up for it by having a great season and going after the Cup, which it seems like is his main goal now that the Olympics are over and his team failed his country.

I expect Geno to have his 2009 beast playoffs again.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 06:23 PM
canadianguy77

Love the guy and it's nice to see the passion that he has for his country, but it's over now. Time to move on and get that passionate for the task at hand. Hopefully he'll come out tonight and have a big game.

canadianguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 06:24 PM
Fire Shero*

Geno is awesome. Please take Pyatt off of his line.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 06:34 PM
Riggs
Kaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerz View Post
Please take Pyatt off of his line.
Seriously... how many kicks in the gut can one guy take?

Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Ugene Malkin
Drank from the Cup

Sid needs to go up to him and say, "Geno, lets go win another cup together. You lead the way and I'll hand it to you first... Wink. Or...I'll let you wear the "K/C" and you bring me the Cup from, Bettman. Wink."

After all, this team goes nowhere without either of them.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Whale Mingo

It's hard for us in the States to understand how important THAT Gold Medal would have been to a guy like Geno, to win it on his "home ice". We just don't understand international hockey and what it means to guys from other countries.

Having said that I do hope there was something lost in translation there as it sure seemed like Geno was deflated enough to just not care as much as we need him to. Time will tell on that one.

Maybe someone should tell Geno we haven't won the big prize on our home ice either, yet?

Whale Mingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 07:11 PM
DoktorZaius

He's a competitive guy. When the playoffs roll around and he needs to, he'll give it his all. Right now he's just super deflated because his country whiffed on a once-in-a-playing-career opportunity. Makes sense.

DoktorZaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 07:34 PM
NutCracker

Quote:
I'm sure I'll get nasty replies, but part of me thinks Geno needs to grow up a little bit. Winning a Cup may smooth over your disappointment? Come on man.
Olympic gold is bigger thing in Europe than some stanley cup.

NutCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 07:38 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
It's almost like we read two different articles. You came away with a 'suck it up buttercup' POV. I came away thinking that he was being honest about his feelings. That he was grateful that Sid and his other teammates that did medal weren't rubbing his nose in it and that they also were understanding/respectful of his feelings. Sounds to me like a guy that's working through the disappointment and moving forward.
I came away understanding fully why Bylsma craps on him and he never makes a peep.

EDIT: 'Sulk', I think, is the wrong word. 'Internalizes' may be a better one. Never said a thing to the coach about how he was being used. Just internalized, and not productively in the end. Sound familiar? I don't want him to grow up. But, I'd love to see the day that he speaks up. It's like he did it his 2nd year, saying he didn't like left point on the PP, and got so **** on for doing it that he hasn't spoken up since.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 07:39 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale Mingo View Post
It's hard for us in the States to understand how important THAT Gold Medal would have been to a guy like Geno, to win it on his "home ice". We just don't understand international hockey and what it means to guys from other countries.

Having said that I do hope there was something lost in translation there as it sure seemed like Geno was deflated enough to just not care as much as we need him to. Time will tell on that one.

Maybe someone should tell Geno we haven't won the big prize on our home ice either, yet?
Sure as hell don't. It's horrible hockey and the fact that it's basically all-star teams playing in a week in a half takes anything special away from it.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Maybe I will win with Pittsburg and that will somehow smooth over my disappointment.
i don't think Geno gets more emphatic than that. i think (based on my recollection of previous interviews) anyone expecting a stronger statement than that, is probably going to be perpetually disappointed by his 'verbal intensity'

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 08:18 PM
MrBurghundy
Never forget: #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
Agreed. People love to complain about hockey players' robotic personalities, yet any time a player shows even a sliver of humanity, suddenly it seems that everybody expects them to be robots. I'm sure Malkin is absolutely devastated by the result in Sochi; he's only human. I'm also sure that he will do his best to move past in and keep on keeping on in the NHL. Move along folks, nothing to see here!
I don't really think we should be discussing the psychology of a player when we know nothing about the situation, and only infer things from what we read. We should keep this discussion to the on ice factors.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 08:31 PM
Pick87your71Poison

Anyone blasting Geno for that interview is being ridiculous in my view. We want honesty from players and that's what was, and it's insane to think he shouldn't feel that. And suck it up? Who's saying he won't and be a professional, he has shown he will and wants to win and he even hinted to that in the interview. To say he should not be upset or not show it in the interview is insane and pointless in my mind, I just don't get it at all.

Think about things being reversed... Pens just knocked out like vs the flyers 2 years ago, this same interview... He's crushed and it's hard to get over and is hoping some big wins will get home past it... Big ****ing deal. He's human and we would all feel the same way and he's always been honest and shown his emotions. People need to step back and get their heads out of their *****... This was an honest painful interview, just like we want to see more regularly

Everyone here lose one of your childhood dreams while putting all of your ass and effort on the line for tens of thousands and millions everyday and then show no emotion and interest and recovery time after being crushed... I can't believe this thread had even gotten to this or this many people are actually blasting Geno for this.

Ridiculous, glad he has earned all your respect and benefit of the doubt...

Last edited by shureshot66: 03-11-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Pick87your71Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 10:41 PM
flaneur

Thought it was an intriguing and honest interview. With his personality he is pretty lucky to have ended up on the same team as Crosby. Hopefully Geno will be able to make peace with it before playoffs start... that or harness it.

flaneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Michael8771*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Good interview. I love Geno. Hope he can move on quickly and focus on the Penguins.
Nothing wrong with hoping.

Michael8771* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 10:58 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaneur View Post
Thought it was an intriguing and honest interview. With his personality he is pretty lucky to have ended up on the same team as Crosby. Hopefully Geno will be able to make peace with it before playoffs start... that or harness it.
Strangely, I am less worried about Geno's ability to make peace with it than with Bylsma's ability to make peace with the fact that he needs Geno going to win a cup.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 10:59 PM
MrBurghundy
Never forget: #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Strangely, I am less worried about Geno's ability to make peace with it than with Bylsma's ability to make peace with the fact that he needs Geno going to win a cup.
If Bylsma had to choose, he'd almost certainly take Kesler over Geno.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote