HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goc is a Saint Incarnate, Stempniak Makes Like Joe Campbell and Breaks Down Myths

Old
03-11-2014, 09:24 PM
chethejet

vCash: 500
It is a win. So move on to the next game. Pens played good. Not great. Bylsma can't elevate this team to a crisp exceptional performance. He thinks wins are what the measurement is. He is correct in the regular season. Neal is just a plug right now and he is pretty much coasting at times. So much for the next great power forward. Gibbons is just so weak and plays. That is Dan for ya.

chethejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:25 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Eh. It was stupid to play Iggy on his off wing. But Stempniak just fits with Sid better. Has the wheels. And makes the little plays to let Sid do his thing. Iggy is a better fit in Boston.

I thought Despres was so-so. So I can't fault DB for his limited minutes in the third.

But I just don't know what to make of Geno under DB. I mean, I'm not sure it's a good thing longterm to not trust the guy late in games.
How do you know he fits with Sid better? We never saw Iggy with Sid except for a couple of playoff games. That's an absurd statement.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Caps fans are comparing him to Kolvachuk and Malkin. I just don't see it. He looks weak and slow. A long way from being an impact player.
He wasn't an impact player in these games, that's for sure, but he looked better in this one than last night. And he's definitely not slow.

Get To Our Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
Of all the dumb things Bylsma did last year, this was the worst.

Yeah let's change a PP that's running at 35% and then not touch it when it's running at 0%. Makes sense.
Perfect sense.

Old
Waffle Fries

Quote:
It's looking like a solid top 6 acquisition. If he has a few years in him playing at this level, I'd sign him for Sid's wing. And then alot of our troubles up front are solved. Beau with Geno and Neal. Dupes on the third line.
I don't get this at all. Stempniak has looked good there, but come on. He's far from the long term answer for Crosby's wing. He's a 2nd/3rd line tweener, and I guess we see it differently, but I kind of wanted to get Sid a legit top six guy and be done with filling that spot with someone who's better off on the third line.

Quote:
Caps fans are comparing him to Kolvachuk and Malkin. I just don't see it. He looks weak and slow. A long way from being an impact player.
He's just too skinny right now. He needs to add on a good 20 lbs of muscle. We'll see. I know he has the talent, it's just whether he can put it together.

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:28 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
it's not blind, unfortunately. I can actually watch his decisions unfold.
I didn't realize that I needed the sarcasm smilie.

Bylsma is a buffoon. Just when you think he can't do something dumber is precisely when he does. Happens every playoffs since this became his team. See no reason to think it won't happen again.

Maybe Stempniak will be enough to help Sid against even the best defensive teams (contrary to popular myth, Guerin never was that but instead, like Dupuis, just enough against the lesser teams).

Maybe Geno will go God mode in spite of Bylsma, because I know it won't be because of anything good he does.

Maybe Fleury won't **** the bed.

Pretty much our only hopes. Not system. Not structure. Not how the coach uses players or adjusts.

Just all of that above . . . where our best hopes are Sid making due with less, Geno making due with one arm tied behind his back, and Fleury being a few dimes short of a quarter mentally . . . and somehow managing to compete, truly compete, for a cup.

I'll hope, but I've seen this play before.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
It's looking like a solid top 6 acquisition. If he has a few years in him playing at this level, I'd sign him for Sid's wing. And then alot of our troubles up front are solved. Beau with Geno and Neal. Dupes on the third line.
Wow. Settle down there horsy. He's been alright but realistically he's not a fix for the top 6 at all. If anything he's stop gap until Bennett develops or do find a fix.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
So Vitale was scratched for Gibbons?
I don't like Vitale being scratched either, but considering Bylsma's rule of not scratching Pyatt/Glass/Adams, Gibbons is still much better than Vitale. Gibby made the 3rd line effective.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:29 PM
flaneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin6612 View Post
So much head fake on that Crosby goal.
love how he basically doesn't look at the net at all during that play.

flaneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mpp9

Quote:
I don't get this at all. Stempniak has looked good there, but come on. He's far from the long term answer for Crosby's wing. He's a 2nd/3rd line tweener, and I guess we see it differently, but I kind of wanted to get Sid a legit top six guy and be done with filling that spot with someone who's better off on the third line.
He's a better fit in the top 6 than Dupuis. Plays a similar game as Sid/Kuni. Has some skill. Speed. RHS. And still has a few years of good hockey in him.

We've been looking for that fit for years. He's not Corey Perry. But I'll take him as long as the rest of our lineup is filled out properly. Either a better third line center or more depth around Sutter.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
But, whether he lives or not, none of this really matters until the playoffs come. Some good things this game, but even that really doesn't matter.
Well you could argue none of the rest of the 17 games matter... which is probably true. For us, it's all about going in hot and getting the chemistry right.

Which is why, unlike a bunch of people here, I'm certainly fine with mixing the lines up in the last few weeks. Let's see where people fit and how to go in to the postseason. Even Stemps, who's had a great couple of games on Sid's wing... I'd like to try BB on Sid's wing and see who fits better there, Stemp or BB.

We're easily in a top two spot, let's try and iron out the details now, as it should be. I'm still not sure where to play BB, but we need to see how he's playing after so much time off. I'm not sure I've ever liked him on the LW, though he's gotten limited time there.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:31 PM
KIRK

Quote:

He's just too skinny right now. He needs to add on a good 20 lbs of muscle. We'll see. I know he has the talent, it's just whether he can put it together.
I'm not sure that Stempniak brings you anything more than Guerin or Dupuis. Progress over Kobasew and Gibbons, to be sure. He'll help Sid compete against lesser defensive teams in the playoffs. Against Boston or a top defensive team from the west. Well, it's not as if Guerin or Dupuis ever helped Sid compete against THOSE types of teams. So, yeah, jury still out until that day of reckoning comes (assuming Pens don't flame out before then).

Old
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
I didn't realize that I needed the sarcasm smilie.

Bylsma is a buffoon. Just when you think he can't do something dumber is precisely when he does. Happens every playoffs since this became his team. See no reason to think it won't happen again.

Maybe Stempniak will be enough to help Sid against even the best defensive teams (contrary to popular myth, Guerin never was that but instead, like Dupuis, just enough against the lesser teams).

Maybe Geno will go God mode in spite of Bylsma, because I know it won't be because of anything good he does.

Maybe Fleury won't **** the bed.

Pretty much our only hopes. Not system. Not structure. Not how the coach uses players or adjusts.

Just all of that above . . . where our best hopes are Sid making due with less, Geno making due with one arm tied behind his back, and Fleury being a few dimes short of a quarter mentally . . . and somehow managing to compete, truly compete, for a cup.

I'll hope, but I've seen this play before.
Come on, dude, you know me better than that. I knew you were being sarcastic. I just made a joke off of it.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mpp9

Quote:
Wow. Settle down there horsy. He's been alright but realistically he's not a fix for the top 6 at all. If anything he's stop gap until Bennett develops or do find a fix.
Calling him depth on a team filled out with garbage is just incorrect. For the time being, he's the best option there. Bennett never looked any better in his short stint with Sid.

Old
03-11-2014, 09:32 PM
SidTheKid8787

I doubt BB even gets the chance if Stemps keeps playing well. He's only had 1 real practice.

But thats fine though, 1 less thing for Bylsma to worry about. Bennett can slot in on L3 RW at the very least and for a guy that hasn't played almost at all this year, i'm fine with it.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
+ Stempniak: Looks like I was wrong about him. He does more than I thought he would. He can catch a pass and dish one back, something that Dupuis can't always do. That creates has much space for Sid than good board play (which he can also provide). I hope he can keep it up.

+ Sid: Nice goal, good game in general.

+ MAF: If that MAF shows up in the playoffs, we might have a chance afterall.

+ Sweeping the Caps: Screw those *****es. Hopefully we can do the same to Philly this weekend.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AR5

vCash: 50
First highlight reel video for Stemper as a Pen,

AR5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:33 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
Well you could argue none of the rest of the 17 games matter... which is probably true. For us, it's all about going in hot and getting the chemistry right.

Which is why, unlike a bunch of people here, I'm certainly fine with mixing the lines up in the last few weeks. Let's see where people fit and how to go in to the postseason. Even Stemps, who's had a great couple of games on Sid's wing... I'd like to try BB on Sid's wing and see who fits better there, Stemp or BB.

We're easily in a top two spot, let's try and iron out the details now, as it should be. I'm still not sure where to play BB, but we need to see how he's playing after so much time off. I'm not sure I've ever liked him on the LW, though he's gotten limited time there.
Bylsma won't mess with what he thinks works during the regular season.

You know, I remember last year against the Isles. After it got tight, Martin said something like 'we're playing them exactly like we played them during the regular season, and they're really stepping up'. I wish that I remembered the exact quotation, but that was the gist of it, and that right there tells you everything you need to know about why the Pens fail come post season.

Old
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Calling him depth on a team filled out with garbage is just incorrect. For the time being, he's the best option there. Bennett never looked any better in his short stint with Sid.
Read: "short stint"

Old
Waffle Fries

Quote:
He's a better fit in the top 6 than Dupuis. Plays a similar game as Sid/Kuni. Has some skill. Speed. RHS. And still has a few years of good hockey in him.

We've been looking for that fit for years. He's not Corey Perry. But I'll take him as long as the rest of our lineup is filled out properly. Either a better third line center or more depth around Sutter.
"Better than Dupuis" isn't exactly the criteria I'm looking for when I'm trying to find a top six winger. He's been a third liner his entire career. He's not suddenly going to become a top six forward at 31 years old just like Dupuis never did. Crosby can work with less, but he shouldn't have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post

We're easily in a top two spot, let's try and iron out the details now.
I agree with this 100%. Mix it up, see who looks best where. Jokinen, Stempniak, and Bennett can all play both wings on any of the top three lines. Let's try a few things out.

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:34 PM
mpp9

Quote:
I'm not sure that Stempniak brings you anything more than Guerin or Dupuis. Progress over Kobasew and Gibbons, to be sure. He'll help Sid compete against lesser defensive teams in the playoffs. Against Boston or a top defensive team from the west. Well, it's not as if Guerin or Dupuis ever helped Sid compete against THOSE types of teams. So, yeah, jury still out until that day of reckoning comes (assuming Pens don't flame out before then).
Stempniak made several plays the last couple games Dupuis simply cannot. Finding guys in open space. Walking a defender. Situational awareness.

He isn't ideal. But I think he's enough for Sid to dominate.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Come on, dude, you know me better than that. I knew you were being sarcastic. I just made a joke off of it.
Ok, just wanted to be sure.

You know I'm right about the rest of what I said.

Old
BurghThang

+ Flower
+Stempniak
+ Orpik

Orpik is the biggest nightmare of Ovechkin's career

BurghThang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:36 PM
KIRK

Quote:
exile59 didn't call him garbage. He called him a stopgap, which is what Guerin and Dupuis really were and are, guys who do enough to help Sid against lesser teams but not against the top defensive teams. I've seen nothing to suggest that Stempniak will do that, and I won't until that time comes (assuming it does).

Old
03-11-2014, 09:36 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghThang View Post
+ Flower
+Stempniak
+ Orpik

Orpik is the biggest nightmare of Ovechkin's career
Uh, a mirror?