HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goc is a Saint Incarnate, Stempniak Makes Like Joe Campbell and Breaks Down Myths

Old
03-11-2014, 09:38 PM
wgknestrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghThang View Post
+ Flower
+Stempniak
+ Orpik

Orpik is the biggest nightmare of Ovechkin's career
If only Orpik could play against OV every night. He is the one talented forward that Brooks owns because OV tries to out-physical Orpik instead of out-possession him. I remember being afraid of OV every time he touched the puck. What happened?

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Stempniak made several plays the last couple games Dupuis simply cannot. Finding guys in open space. Walking a defender. Situational awareness.

He isn't ideal. But I think he's enough for Sid to dominate.
To dominate WHOM?

I see Billy G in Stempniak's game, and let's not pretend like Billy G was enough to help Sid dominate teams that played good defensive in the playoffs.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BurghThang

13:45 in the 1st period without a whistle...unreal...

Is there a record kept for anything like that?

BurghThang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:39 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
+ Flower
+Stempniak
+ Orpik

Ovechkin is 38th in ES scoring. That's not as good of a feat as you make it out to be.

MrBurghundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
OGBobbyFarnham

I'm more comfortable going into a playoff run with Stemps/BB as options as opposed to Iginla (who just looked wore out. he had a great off season and has come back strong this year though) and Dupuis.

It's fine for this year but with the cap going back up the next 2 years probably, you've got to continue shopping. I can agree there.

OGBobbyFarnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
I doubt BB even gets the chance if Stemps keeps playing well. He's only had 1 real practice.

But thats fine though, 1 less thing for Bylsma to worry about. Bennett can slot in on L3 RW at the very least and for a guy that hasn't played almost at all this year, i'm fine with it.
He won't get a shot there.

But, anyone who doesn't think this team will need him desperately to step up at L2 LW hasn't been watching this team.

Unfortunately, Bylsma is part of that group.

Old
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Ok, just wanted to be sure.

You know I'm right about the rest of what I said.

I'm going to try the zen approach. I'm going to let the season play out, see what happens. I only care about three things the rest of the regular season: Sid, Geno, Despres. I'm not going to get worked up or whatever over the rest. After the season, well...

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:40 PM
SEALBound
RIP Elmer

I thought we looked decent for the 1st and some of the 3rd. 2nd was a disaster IMHO.

Stempniak looked very good tonight with Sid and Kunitz. Hopefully he is left there and can start to build some chemistry with those two.

Malkin's line looked very energetic in the first and were again lethal...but it faded. In playoff games we need that lethality on a regular basis.

The third line is just...there.

Fourth line looks half way competent with Goc until you notice Glass and Adams. I would like to see how a Harry Z-Goc-Engelland 4th line would look.

Good game though. Fun to watch. Glad to see Sid finally shoot and score. He's passing too much...sadly.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:41 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Ovechkin is 38th in ES scoring. That's not as good of a feat as you make it out to be.
It's a feat for Orpik...

Washington and/or Ovechkin is the one thing Orpik likes to play against.

vabm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:

Not a recorded stat, but tonight might have been it if it were.

Old
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Quote:
+ Flower
+Stempniak
+ Orpik

Props for actually giving Orpik praise. He's had two very solid games in a row. Unlike a few, I'd like to see Orpik build on that... because I actually like to see this team win, and we have a better chance at doing that with Orpik playing not terrible. Maybe Maatta helps him (though they were both pretty bad on the weekend... though most of the team was too.)

The Caps are pretty brutal though, so it's hard to get too excited. I definitely like the D pairings better with Maatta / Orpik, and Scuderi / Niskanen. Orpik needs a puck mover as his partner. It has to be either Niskanen, Maatta, or Despres. There is no other choice right now.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:42 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
Quote:
+ Flower
+Stempniak
+ Orpik

Well, Ovechkin barely moves his feet. He is an ideal opponent for Orpik.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:43 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabm8 View Post
It's a feat for Orpik...

Washington and/or Ovechkin is the one thing Orpik likes to play against.
Apparently the rest of the league thinks so too. At least at ES.

Old
03-11-2014, 09:43 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
I thought we looked decent for the 1st and some of the 3rd. 2nd was a disaster IMHO.

Stempniak looked very good tonight with Sid and Kunitz. Hopefully he is left there and can start to build some chemistry with those two.

Malkin's line looked very energetic in the first and were again lethal...but it faded. In playoff games we need that lethality on a regular basis.

The third line is just...there.

Fourth line looks half way competent with Goc until you notice Glass and Adams. I would like to see how a Harry Z-Goc-Engelland 4th line would look.

Good game though. Fun to watch. Glad to see Sid finally shoot and score. He's passing too much...sadly.
1. It barely played after the first period. Honestly, Gladams with Goc may have had more ES TOI.

2. It needing to be regularly dominant in the playoffs and whether it is designed to be that has been, if memory serves, a bone of contention in some circles around here.

Old
03-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Michael8771*

I attended this evenings festivities and I am moderately satisfied.

Michael8771* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:45 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post

I'm going to try the zen approach. I'm going to let the season play out, see what happens. I only care about three things the rest of the regular season: Sid, Geno, Despres. I'm not going to get worked up or whatever over the rest. After the season, well...
Something like this?

Old
03-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
George McPhee is the biggest nightmare of Ovechkin's career

sidenote: did anyone know that McPhee was the 1982 Hobey Baker Award winner?

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:47 PM
mpp9

Quote:
exile59 didn't call him garbage. He called him a stopgap, which is what Guerin and Dupuis really were and are, guys who do enough to help Sid against lesser teams but not against the top defensive teams. I've seen nothing to suggest that Stempniak will do that, and I won't until that time comes (assuming it does).
You didn't see him walk a defender tonight? Find guys in open space? While also bringing that Dupuis level hustle to set up Sid's goal tonight.

I think he's a great fit with those two. We'll see how it goes when the games matter. But I certainly don't think he's Dupuis 2.0.

Beau can bump Juice from Malkin's line.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Michael8771*

Quote:

Actually there is, yes.

Michael8771* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:49 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
You didn't see him walk a defender tonight? Find guys in open space? While also bringing that Dupuis level hustle to set up Sid's goal tonight.

I think he's a great fit with those two. We'll see how it goes when the games matter. But I certainly don't think he's Dupuis 2.0.

He hasn't come anywhere close to Dupuis level of hustle, and that's coming from a guy who didn't like Dupuis on Crosby's line. Not sure what the hell you're talking about there.

Old
03-11-2014, 09:50 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Just got home from the game. Anyone know how long that streak of uninterrupted play lasted during the first period? I thought the game was still going on its opening faceoff as it crossed the 6 minute mark, then I saw the faceoff stats that showed two had taken place in the game. The third took place with about 5:34 or so left in the first. Anyone know how long that ridiculous back-and-forth flow lasted? A lot of people who weren't in their seats at the opening faceoff were still standing at the back of the steps that late in the first ...

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:51 PM
KIRK

Quote:

Yes, I did. Saw Billy G do it too. How did that help when the competition went from Ottawa, Philly, Washington, or Carolina to Detroit or Montreal?

I'm not saying that Stempniak won't give you just a little more than that. I'm just saying that I'm with Waffle Fries and exile59 when it comes to your assumption that he will. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, he's Billy G in my book.

Old
03-11-2014, 09:52 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Yes, I did. Saw Billy G do it too. How did that help when the competition went from Ottawa, Philly, Washington, or Carolina to Detroit or Montreal?

I'm not saying that Stempniak won't give you just a little more than that. I'm just saying that I'm with Waffle Fries and exile59 when it comes to your assumption that he will. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, he's Billy G in my book.
You saw Stempniak with Dupuis level of hustle? He's not floating out there, but he's not exactly going at full speed all the time either.

Old
03-11-2014, 09:52 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
1. It barely played after the first period. Honestly, Gladams with Goc may have had more ES TOI.

2. It needing to be regularly dominant in the playoffs and whether it is designed to be that has been, if memory serves, a bone of contention in some circles around here.

It seems to be a trend with Byslma that if Geno's line scores but Sid's doesn't, Sid's ice time increases and Geno's decreases. It's weird.

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 09:53 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzeigler View Post
Just got home from the game. Anyone know how long that streak of uninterrupted play lasted during the first period? I thought the game was still going on its opening faceoff as it crossed the 6 minute mark, then I saw the faceoff stats that showed two had taken place in the game. The third took place with about 5:34 or so left in the first. Anyone know how long that ridiculous back-and-forth flow lasted? A lot of people who weren't in their seats at the opening faceoff were still standing at the back of the steps that late in the first ...
Pretty sure first whistle was offside around 19:30, and then the next was the Halak stoppage at 5:30. Pretty certain those numbers are close.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote