Notices

Hamrliks Numbers Very Close To Niedermayer

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2005, 10:49 AM
abracanada

vCash: 500
Hamrliks Numbers Very Close To Niedermayer

If you were a fan of the Niedermayer acquisition rumour, the following stats may explain why Sutter may have opted for Hamrlik. This signing is not confirmed yet, but has been quoted on the front page of the Herald.

http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/LeagueWideRankings.asp

Just click on Defence - Regular Seasons since 1998-99.

Looking at that, Hamrlik is a bargain at 3.5 mill.

Of course the +/- is a little wonky, but that may have improved if the Isles had a Brodeur too.

Last edited by abracanada: 08-13-2005 at 10:55 AM.
Old
08-13-2005, 10:52 AM
Oilerfan120582

03/04 Stats

Roman Hamrlik - 81 GP, 29 pts, +2
Niedermayer - 81 GP, 54 pts, +20

Yes, very similar...

Old
08-13-2005, 10:56 AM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan120582
03/04 Stats

Yes, very similar...
Try clicking on regular seasons since 1998-99.

Old
08-13-2005, 11:00 AM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan120582
03/04 Stats

Yes, very similar...
Keep in mind Neids won the Norris last year (best year of his career..all around). Your arguement is pretty weak. EVERY player has an off year, heck Iginla did 2 seasons ago..does that mean he was bad? Nope. So stop being a homer and look at it and don't be biased.

Old
08-13-2005, 11:05 AM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
Keep in mind Neids won the Norris last year (best year of his career..all around). Your arguement is pretty weak. EVERY player has an off year, heck Iginla did 2 seasons ago..does that mean he was bad? Nope. So stop being a homer and look at it and don't be biased.

Click on regular seasons since 1998-99. Over the long haul, the major difference is the +/-. No bias there are all. Look into things before you jump to conclusions.

Old
08-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Watts02

Hammer does have some great upsides, the knock about him is he likes to takes time off mentally. Could be a shift period or a game or a month. You just never know. Talent is there though, good pick up if Sutter can keep him going. Sutter would be the guy i think. Scary dline now. Especially him as your second pairing.

Old
08-13-2005, 11:11 AM
MattNJD

Send a message via AIM to MattNJD
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada
Click on regular seasons since 1998-99. Over the long haul, the major difference is the +/-. No bias there are all. Look into things before you jump to conclusions.
Yea, that and the fact that nieds has 3 cups, a gold medal, and a norris trophy.

Old
08-13-2005, 11:17 AM
abracanada

Hammer must have agreed with you - that is why the rumour has it, that he signed with a team that had a chance.

In the yeas since 1998, their stats are:
Goals Assists Pts +/-
#10 Niedermayer 60 185 245 104
#11 Hamrlik 59 171 230 20

Hamrlik tied for 11th with several other players.

Last edited by abracanada: 08-13-2005 at 11:23 AM.
Old
08-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Edler Statesman*

And of course, Niedermayer does this on a defensive New Jersey Devils team.

Hockey's more than a stat sheet, guys

Old
08-13-2005, 11:37 AM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
And of course, Niedermayer does this on a defensive New Jersey Devils team.

Hockey's more than a stat sheet, guys
I agree - the reason I brought the stat up, was not to say Hamrlik is as good as Niedermayer, but to point out, that Niedermayer is getting 7 Mill, I wouldn't complain about paying Hamrlik 3.5. He is, stat wise, one of the top twenty defenders in the league.

Old
08-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Hamrlik may have had an off season last time the league was playing, but like many are saying, he has posted pretty steady numbers lately. And, from time to time, every NHL player will have an off year, where he doesn't produce to his usual consistency. He's averaged around 40 points since 98-99. He slipped a bit last year. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him rebound to his career average. I think this is going to be a great help for the Flames, especially on the PP. Leopold and Hamrlik should be great PP quarterbacks....

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Old
08-13-2005, 12:23 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada
Ummm what are you talking about? I was quoting the Oiler fan who was being sarcastic about your post. I have no arguement about comparing their offensive numbers.....so no clue why you posted what you said.

Old
08-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Resolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNJD
Yea, that and the fact that nieds has 3 cups, a gold medal, and a norris trophy.
The cups and gold medal are functions of the teams he played with. Irrelevent to the comparison.

As far as the Norris goes, there is a reason why Niedermayer would be making twice what Hamrlik is. Once agian, however, not relevent to the comparison. Abra is comparing offensive numbers over the long term only. Certantly does not appear that he is comparing the two players overall and calling Hamrlik Niedermayer's equal.

Old
08-13-2005, 12:35 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
Ummm what are you talking about? I was quoting the Oiler fan who was being sarcastic about your post. I have no arguement about comparing their offensive numbers.....so no clue why you posted what you said.
Sorry, I misunderstood. Thought you were calling me a homer because of the difference in the numbers.

Old
08-13-2005, 01:23 PM
CoolDude*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute

there is a reason why Niedermayer would be making twice what Hamrlik is.

Yes there is. He is twice the player Hamrlik is.

Old
08-13-2005, 02:15 PM
Orv

If it is true an Hamrlik does sign for 3.5 it is about the middle of the road for D-men of his calibre.

This is how the Top 15 breakdown from http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/LeagueWideRankings.asp in points from the 1998 season.

Lidstrom - 7.6
Gonchar - 3.5
Blake - 6.3
Leetch - 4
Zubov - 4
MacInnis - Unsigned
Pronger - 6.25
Niedermeyer - 6.75
Schnieder - 3.3
Ozolinsh - 2.75
Redden - 3.7
Hamrlik - 3.5
Kaberle - 2.2
Desjardins - 2.2
Sydor - 2.1

Average - 4.15

All these figures come from NHLPA.com

So 3.5 may be overpaying but there are a lot of other guys being overpaid as well which dictates the market.

Old
08-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Arastiroth

I don't think anyone here is really saying Hamrlik is close to as good as Neidermayer, but that he's good for the price. I actually thought some team would give him $4M, so $3.5M isn't bad imo (so long as it wasn't a 4 or 5 year deal... then it's a bit of a risk). It really depends on him showing that last year was a fluke. Sutter should be good at trying to keep him going all year, and being on a team that was in the SC finals last season may also help him feel motivated throughout the year. I'm sure he'd like to win a cup.

A few years ago I remember people arguing he was a top-15 defenseman. He didn't fit in NY, and I don't think people should count him out of being a great defenseman again.

Old
08-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanguay40
I don't think anyone here is really saying Hamrlik is close to as good as Neidermayer, but that he's good for the price. I actually thought some team would give him $4M, so $3.5M isn't bad imo (so long as it wasn't a 4 or 5 year deal... then it's a bit of a risk). It really depends on him showing that last year was a fluke. Sutter should be good at trying to keep him going all year, and being on a team that was in the SC finals last season may also help him feel motivated throughout the year. I'm sure he'd like to win a cup.

A few years ago I remember people arguing he was a top-15 defenseman. He didn't fit in NY, and I don't think people should count him out of being a great defenseman again.
Hamrlik is a lazy unmotivated player that has a chronic injury that affects his mobility. When players like Aucoin (4.0), Malakhov (3.6), Schneider (3.3) and
Hatcher (3.5) are making the kind of money they are....it makes you wonder why we missed hockey for a year.

If I was Sutter I would keep what I have and be happy, Hamrlik will give him ulcars

Old
08-13-2005, 05:18 PM
JimEIV

I think what you guys have done with your team has been Fantastic!

And you are in 100% better shape by NOT signing Niedermayer.......While Niedermayer is an amazing player and an incredible skater, the flames would have painted themselves into a corner with 2, 7 million dollar players on the Roster.

Good Luck this season.

Old
08-13-2005, 05:25 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV
I think what you guys have done with your team has been Fantastic!

And you are in 100% better shape by NOT signing Niedermayer.......While Niedermayer is an amazing player and an incredible skater, the flames would have painted themselves into a corner with 2, 7 million dollar players on the Roster.

Good Luck this season.
Class from a Devil Worshipper. Thanks

Old
08-13-2005, 05:26 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden
Hamrlik may have had an off season last time the league was playing, but like many are saying, he has posted pretty steady numbers lately. And, from time to time, every NHL player will have an off year, where he doesn't produce to his usual consistency. He's averaged around 40 points since 98-99. He slipped a bit last year. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him rebound to his career average. I think this is going to be a great help for the Flames, especially on the PP. Leopold and Hamrlik should be great PP quarterbacks....
I like Hamrlik and wish him well no matter what but for the last three seasons there has been some significant decline in Hamrlik's game that goes well beyond numbers, for any team to pay him 3.5m is a mistake, IMO.

The hitting game has been almost non-existant, he is not physical in front of his own net and does not display much emotion in his game much anymore. He stopped dropping his gloves and no longer throws the big hits he used to throw with much more frequency and rarely plays with an edge to his game. Some shoulder problems have given him problems along with his knees which is why he's much slower now and cannot get his shot off from the point on the pp. To his credit he has played hurt a lot and came back within days after he was supposed to be out for weeks with a seperated shoulder.

Hamrlik's skill's offensively are charging in from the point to take one-times from the high slot for his goals. From the point he is very slow in getting off his shot now.

He did not score his first goal until mid-Feb in 03-04. Sometimes changing teams is the answer for a player but in this case I think the decline in his game goes beyond the team he played for and that defense was very good on paper.

If he signs with Calgary best of luck to Roman and the Flames.

Old
08-13-2005, 05:51 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanguay40

Hamrlik never reached his potential on the Island or anywhere. I am a huge Hamrlik fan, huge and wish he resigned with the Islanders. But at the sametime not at the money he is commanding or wants. He is worth 3 million at most. His shoulders and his knees are huge problems. He plays hurt, has size and plays a physical game, but his skating in the new NHL will be suspect as well.

Old
08-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Body Checker

Calgary had a major weakness in their power play in the Cup run - no power play quarterback with a booming shot. The closest they came was Montador. Leopold can move and handle the puck but has an average shot. I was hoping we'd take a run at Aucoin (right handed shot to go with Leopold's left shot). Hamrlik will do. Also it hasn't really been said but we did need an upgrade on D because other than Phaneuf we have the same blue line - talented yes but missing an offensive dynamo - Hamrlik will bring some jam to the butter!!!

Old
08-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Impossibles

So why hasn't this signing been confirmed yet??

Old
08-13-2005, 09:57 PM
rikker

Hammer may well help Calgary to a cup. i hope for Calgary's sake (my second favorite team) that they do well with him.

i feel that he will help them for a year, maybe two, and then will fade away, due to injuries.

Niedermayer has been steadily improving, and is a top notch player. in my world, Nieds would get about 6.5 and Hammer 3.

Closed Thread