HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin Brodeur hopes Lundqvist can win 500 but its going to be tough

Old
03-13-2014, 01:42 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
Agreed. Marty had 15 years of play behind some all-star defense that excelled at trap hockey. Any goalie that was able to stay healthy during that era would be near marty's stats, especially playing on a team with a defensive squad run by Scott Stevens, Scott Nediermayer, and Bruce Driver...
This is at the same time my favorite, and least favorite view of Rangers fans in the world. To say things like this, it just epitomizes the hatred you can have for a single human.

It's so wrong.

Now, I will not say that Marty is the GOAT, because I think Hasek is. But to say things like "any goalie could have done what Marty did behind those defenses" is, in my opinion, quite wrong.

I don't think you can argue that Brodeur isn't a top 5 goalie of all-time. Again, I think I have him at #3 behind Hasek and Roy.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 04:58 PM
Nyrvana

Really difficult to compare goalies, but to be able to put Lundqvist in the same league as Brodeur he's got to win multiple championships.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
Really difficult to compare goalies, but to be able to put Lundqvist in the same league as Brodeur he's got to win multiple championships.
What about Osgood? Him too?

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 05:14 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
This is at the same time my favorite, and least favorite view of Rangers fans in the world. To say things like this, it just epitomizes the hatred you can have for a single human.

It's so wrong.

Now, I will not say that Marty is the GOAT, because I think Hasek is. But to say things like "any goalie could have done what Marty did behind those defenses" is, in my opinion, quite wrong.

I don't think you can argue that Brodeur isn't a top 5 goalie of all-time. Again, I think I have him at #3 behind Hasek and Roy.
Agreed. Brodeur is one of my least favorite hockey players ever but to diminish his accomplishments is silly. Not to mention he also won two Vezina's a few years removed from any Niedermayer's or Stevens' on the team.

03-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Nyrvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Ridiculous. Osgood has cups and no stats. Lundqvist has the stats no cups. Brodeur, Hasek, Roy, have both. You need both to be in that discussion.

Old
03-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Riverdale

Winning the cup is a team accomplishment. While it would make Hank's resume look more impressive I don't think it is necessary when judging him as an individual athlete.

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 05:23 PM
Nyrvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
Winning the cup is a team accomplishment. While it would make Hank's resume look more impressive I don't think it is necessary when judging him as an individual athlete.
Tell that to Dan Marino.

Old
03-13-2014, 05:34 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Tell that to Dan Marino.
Does Dan Marino say he's a lesser quarterback because he hasn't won a championship?

Old
03-13-2014, 05:37 PM
Ail
Girardi Sucks

Quote:
Does Dan Marino say he's a lesser quarterback because he hasn't won a championship?
Every day first thing in the morning when he wakes up and stands in front of the mirror.

"Loser! You never won anything!"

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 05:39 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ail View Post
Every day first thing in the morning when he wakes up and stands in front of the mirror.

"Loser! You never won anything!"
It's Finkles fault.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

I have no doubt that the last thing Brodeur would want is for Henrik to break his records.

I consider Brodeur significantly overrated. That doesn't mean I think he's average or bad, but overrated. He was in the perfect place at the perfect time. If not for that, he'd have few or none of these records. He's also been astoundingly healthy until the last two years. Virtually never missed a game due to injury. All fortunate circumstances that fell into his lap with no effort on his part. And there's no question that he played his worst in the playoffs. If you take a look at the ten or so worst playoff goals given up in big games in the last 20 or so years, he has three or four of them.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 06:06 PM
Jersey Girl

It absolutely pains me to say anything nice about Fatso, especially with all the snide remarks and backhanded compliments he's thrown Hank's way over the years.

That said, you can't argue with Fatso's record. You don't even realize how amazing his numbers are until you stop and take a look at them. Holy cow.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 06:53 PM
Nyrvana

Quote:
“[T]here’s no doubt that that’s the one thing in my life and in sports, just feeling what that would be like,” Marino said. “There’s no doubt that there’s sometimes I think about that, even today. When I’m watching the Super Bowl, that’s going to be coming into my mind for sure. That’s just part of life, man. I never had that feeling, and that’s the feeling you want to have as a player as you’ve worked your whole life.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-a-super-bowl/

Lesser quarterback, I don't know, but if he never got to the pinnacle of his sport how can you say he's the best ever.

To be in any discussion with Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, etc Henrik HAS to win multiple stanley cups and some vezinas, conn smythe, etc

Old
03-13-2014, 06:55 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
“[T]here’s no doubt that that’s the one thing in my life and in sports, just feeling what that would be like,” Marino said. “There’s no doubt that there’s sometimes I think about that, even today. When I’m watching the Super Bowl, that’s going to be coming into my mind for sure. That’s just part of life, man. I never had that feeling, and that’s the feeling you want to have as a player as you’ve worked your whole life.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-a-super-bowl/

Lesser quarterback, I don't know, but if he never got to the pinnacle of his sport how can you say he's the best ever.

To be in any discussion with Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, etc Henrik HAS to win multiple stanley cups and some vezinas, conn smythe, etc
Yes. I could have guess that he would have liked to win the Superbowl.

Old
03-13-2014, 07:02 PM
ADifferentTim
Knowledgeable & Pure

Quote:
Tell that to Dan Marino.
Pass the same message to Patrick Ewing.

ADifferentTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 07:11 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's Finkles fault.
Thank you for this. The thread needed it.

Laces out!!

03-13-2014, 07:14 PM
nikonsniper*

Quote:
No, but a lot of other people do. If he had even one ring, he would be considered in the discussion for best ever, but since no highlight reel of him saying he is going to disney land, and he is forgotten when best QBs are talked about.

nikonsniper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 07:15 PM
nikonsniper*

As long as Henrik remains relatively healthy, a pedestrian 30-win season (45% winning rate for 65 starts a year) puts him to 500 wins just with his current contract to go.

500 is very doable for him.

nikonsniper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 08:10 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:

It's so wrong.

I don't hate him. I even used his equipment for most of my life, Marty.

Anyway, this guy says you're opinion could improve.

Again, this assuming stats, and even more specifically-wins, are THE deciding factor in "who's the greatest". They aren't, IMO, skills competitions are more telling than wins/losses when asking which goalie is "better".

Last edited by CHGoalie27: 03-13-2014 at 08:18 PM.
CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 08:19 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Funny, he can't cross the red line.

Hasek never even won his cup technically.

Old
03-13-2014, 08:36 PM
Nyrvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Funny, he can't cross the red line.

Hasek never even won his cup technically.
Hasek has two.

We aren't talking about a top 25 list or a top 15 or even a top 10. We are talking about being considered the greatest goaltender of all time. You can't in that conversation without a cup. Period.

You guys REALLY need to reevaluate. Hasek has SIX vezinas and two hart trophies. Brodeur has four vezinas and 3 stanley cups, Roy has 3 vezinas and 4 stanley cups. I love Hank, but he's not even close to these guys right now.

Old
03-13-2014, 10:38 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Hasek has two.

We aren't talking about a top 25 list or a top 15 or even a top 10. We are talking about being considered the greatest goaltender of all time. You can't in that conversation without a cup. Period.

You guys REALLY need to reevaluate. Hasek has SIX vezinas and two hart trophies. Brodeur has four vezinas and 3 stanley cups, Roy has 3 vezinas and 4 stanley cups. I love Hank, but he's not even close to these guys right now.
Cups* sry.

So you're saying these guys played on Stanley Cup TEAMS…not sure how that makes Henrik less than those guys…like I said, the CupS* Hasek won, he didn't even have to earn.

TEAM. Keyword.

Again, why Trophies and Stats aren't all telling. Why is this so hard to understand for some people to grasp? WE need to reevaluate? I guess.

Old
03-13-2014, 10:42 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Again:

This is John Vanbiesbrouck. I remember watching all of his games in Jersey. He was better behind that same team than Brodeur was.

Old
03-13-2014, 10:43 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Osgood doesn't have a Conn Smythe

03-13-2014, 10:49 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
Osgood doesn't have a Conn Smythe
Nor should he.

Speaking of that…Roy won a Conn Smythe in the face of the fact that Brodeur lost that Finals for his team.

…Uhhh does Brodeur have a Conn Smythe? Yep, Hank's nowhere near the most valuable of his team. No way Hank doesn't win the Conn if ever we got to the Finals.

Last edited by CHGoalie27: 03-13-2014 at 10:59 PM.